Advice on Attending the Hockey Tournament

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Joe2015

Advice on Attending the Hockey Tournament

Post by Joe2015 »

I will be attending the Boy's Hockey Tournament for the first time this year. Looking for info from people who go every year. Where is the best place to park? Any public transportation options? I assume for those who go to the morning and evening sessions, it just makes sense to stay parked down there as opposed to leaving and coming back. What do people do between sessions? Good restaurants/bars in the area? Any advice would be welcome: thanks!
alcloseshaver

Post by alcloseshaver »

Ask someone from East...
elliott70

Re: Advice on Attending the Hockey Tournament

Post by elliott70 »

Joe2015 wrote:I will be attending the Boy's Hockey Tournament for the first time this year. Looking for info from people who go every year. Where is the best place to park? Any public transportation options? I assume for those who go to the morning and evening sessions, it just makes sense to stay parked down there as opposed to leaving and coming back. What do people do between sessions? Good restaurants/bars in the area? Any advice would be welcome: thanks!
Go to the Liffey and ask for Packerboy.
He is quite the guy.
Tell him you are a poster on this board and he will buy you a drink, perhaps your lunch.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

If you are being serious, find a place to park when you get close to the X.
Stay there all day.
Plenty of places to eat, drink and be merry.
Talk to the people around you, you will have fun.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

And if by chance Bemidji loses, watch out for a big ugly guy cuz he will be looking to pound on DJ.

And remember, 'rollcardsroll'.
Zamman

Post by Zamman »

If there all day, park in the X ramp. $15. Eating is always a challenge. Cosetta's is great, but you will wait in line.
Sats81

Post by Sats81 »

Yes, and if you want to see Bemidji play make sure to get there THURSDAY. Otherwise you will likely have to head to Minneapolis to catch them at Mariucci. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ »

elliott70 wrote:And if by chance Bemidji loses, watch out for a big ugly guy cuz he will be looking to pound on DJ.

Why would Sats be mad about Bemidji losing?
YouTube.com/BarbellMedicine
Sats81

Post by Sats81 »

TheHockeyDJ wrote:
elliott70 wrote:And if by chance Bemidji loses, watch out for a big ugly guy cuz he will be looking to pound on DJ.

Why would Sats be mad about Bemidji losing?
The nice part about the tournament is we won't have to worry about you DJ. Your team will be watching on TV.....or listening via radio...or whatever they do up there in "God's Country"
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

Sats81 wrote:Yes, and if you want to see Bemidji play make sure to get there THURSDAY. Otherwise you will likely have to head to Minneapolis to catch them at Mariucci. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
But being around all the Lakeville South people at Mariucci will be fun on Friday morning.

:lol:
Sats81

Post by Sats81 »

elliott70 wrote:
Sats81 wrote:Yes, and if you want to see Bemidji play make sure to get there THURSDAY. Otherwise you will likely have to head to Minneapolis to catch them at Mariucci. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
But being around all the Lakeville South people at Mariucci will be fun on Friday morning.

Yes, they like hanging out there to watch other teams play.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

Sats81 wrote:
elliott70 wrote:

And this year will it be Farmington?
Sats81

Post by Sats81 »

elliott70 wrote:
Sats81 wrote:
elliott70 wrote: But being around all the Lakeville South people at Mariucci will be fun on Friday morning.

And this year will it be Farmington?
No. Their season will end in Rochester also.
gitter

Post by gitter »

Joe2015 wrote:I will be attending the Boy's Hockey Tournament for the first time this year. Looking for info from people who go every year. Where is the best place to park? Any public transportation options? I assume for those who go to the morning and evening sessions, it just makes sense to stay parked down there as opposed to leaving and coming back. What do people do between sessions? Good restaurants/bars in the area? Any advice would be welcome: thanks!
Get there early for parking - its just easier, and as other have said leave your car all day. There are numerous ramps/lots nearby. Everything will be busy - especially Eagle St grill/bar, along with McGovern's and Tom Reid's. Other places such as Pazzaluna, Kincaid's, St Paul Grill are more upscale and not as busy. Wild Tymes and GreatWaters are tucked away and decent options where you aren't packed like sardines. Alary's is a 15 minute walk (they also have a shuttle from Xcel) and is fun too. There are more that I have not listed - you really can't go wrong as long as you can find a barstool.
Miracleon82ndstreet

Post by Miracleon82ndstreet »

I won't be surprised if Farmington's season ends in Lakeville vs South. North will probably be the 1 seed. If Farmington does make it to Rochester, I don't think they beat North for a third time. I could be wrong! It's tough to beat someone 3 times in a year especially this group of North players. Plus I believe one of Farmington's top players is out for the season. I think the injury occurred when they played North.

Good luck to all the teams the rest of the season and throughout the sections and state tournament. Playing in the state tournament is awesome and I'm sure winning it is unbelievable!

The best game on earth! Golf is a close second.
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

alcloseshaver wrote:Ask someone from East...
Hmm, I guess we would be authorities, no? :wink:

Getting back on top, Gitter has you covered on most things, and it really is hard to go wrong anywhere along 7th. There often isn't a whole ton of time between sessions, especially if there's overtime...maybe two hours at most to get some food and beverages at some very crowded places. Cossetta's is a Tourney institution, but the line can be ridiculous. (I usually only go on Wednesday.)

There certainly are public transit options if you want to park further away and save there...the light rail stop is a few blocks away, and I assume there are regular buses running down West 7th or Summit/Selby that could make it work. Check with Metro Transit for info there.
thespellchecker

Post by thespellchecker »

Do not borrow the bus from Alary's.
Do get your haircut at the Warrior expo booth
Do not be offended by the all student plus 1 section
Do root for any team not a private.
8-TIME weekly & 2-Time Season Pick Em Champ
Zamman

Post by Zamman »

thespellchecker wrote:Do not borrow the bus from Alary's.
Do get your haircut at the Warrior expo booth
Do not be offended by the all student plus 1 section
Do root for any team not a private.
Do root for any team not a private - Unless you are for that school (I only root for mine)
Frequent_MN_Flyer

Post by Frequent_MN_Flyer »

I'm looking forward to Cosseta's! Long line or not.
mnhockfan99

Post by mnhockfan99 »

Joseph's is a good option too, they usually have a shuttle that will bring you there for free as long as you patronize them....
old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 »

Go to Gopher bar.

DO NOT try to hide Alery's bus. :idea:
East Side Pioneer Guy

Post by East Side Pioneer Guy »

Eating can be a challenge, as long as you follow the herd down W 7th. With some originality, you can do better. it my be a longer walk but a shorter wait. As was mentioned, Joseph's & Great Waters fit the bill. Bennett's also has a shuttle. The Lowertown joints may also have a shuttle.

I don't care for the re-vamped American Burger Bar, but others may like it. And SW Craft Bar has an interesting menu.

Or you can take any Metro Transit bus in the Downtown Zone http://www.metrotransit.org/Data/Sites/ ... StPaul.pdf for 50 cents. Hop on pretty well any bus on 5th street to get to Lowertown. After you eat, go to 6th street and ride back toward the X for another 50 cents. Now, if you think St. Paul is like the South Side of Chicago and you're afraid you'll get jumped, this won't work for you. Just let driver know where you're you're going and he'll tell you when to get off.

But like I say, if you like to follow the herd, do what everybody else does. Hey, some people still eat white bread.
GoldyGopher

Post by GoldyGopher »

Wild Tymes and Great Waters are my advice, Wild Tymes is far cheaper and if you don't like brewery beer that is the place to go out of the 2. I usually park in the History Center lot, seems to be cheaper and is a very short walk. Plan on leaving your car in the same lot all day and walking from place to place, everything is close enough to walk. Lastly, bring a pocket full of cash. Nothing about The Tourney is cheap. Hope that helps
Bob Vance, Vance Refrigeration