2015-16 Season Storylines

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Top Story 2/3 into the season

Poll ended at Sun Jan 24, 2016 4:39 am

Rise of Hibbing
21%
Benilde Scoring leading to 15-0-1 record
50%
Tufte Goal Scoring Pace
No votes
Duluth East Talent searching for success
7%
Other
21%

Total votes: 14

FadedRedLine

2015-16 Season Storylines

Post by FadedRedLine »

We are entering the final third of the season and here is what I see as the top storylines of the season -

Who are those guys?
- The rise of Hibbing has been awesome. Undefeated and outscoring opponents by more than 3 goals per game. Perunovich with 41 points! Question is can they stay a top story by getting past Grand Rapids?

- Benilde. Top scoring AA team in state and undefeated at 15-0-1 (LVN tie). Not much player scoring history coming into the season but kids that took back seat in years past are playing huge. The rise of Gleekel and his supporting cast of Moore, Calengor, Holmers, Risteau, Austin are all on pace to have 30+ points. Not to mention that their schedule so far has been the best of the best for each section.

- Tufte. 25 goals in 14 games. Minnesota High School hockey should be proud to have Tufte.

- Holy Family and Stillwater. Putting these two together because they have the same story - predicted to be "good" but performing "great".

- Duluth East. Everyone waiting for their talent to bust through and go on a run to the state finals circa 14/15.

Those are my thoughts so far and there others but on the negative side of the ledger and did not want to go there.
Last edited by FadedRedLine on Thu Jan 14, 2016 4:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

I love the Hibbing story, and could watch SP hiltes every night

Let's not forget Notermann in same sentence with Tufte, although for many of us this story was expected but is still always noteworthy

Agree HF is outperforming expectation, and under reported story is the great new imported talent

Duluth East , great story line but don't know quite what it is yet

I'd say Elk River is my biggest surprise story of the year, even though I watched them beat WAyzata last summer

Another story-a couple perennial top 5 powers appearing to have an off year, at least so far

Yes there are some "shouldnt have been" and "should be " stories

Much to unfold yet in the third period
howardst

Post by howardst »

I love hs hockey and really love jacket hockey. It's exciting to see but as for a story it was kinda expected they would have a strong season. There is a team up here having what Meyer be considered a bigger increase in play. I will be accused of being a traitor but after seeing last nights ame at the snake pit one would be failing if you didn't mention the raiders from greenway in the story line. From a year in year out power 15 years ago to a program on deaths door, they proved last night they are back and everyone should take notice. When it comes to great chants I heard a new one last night. Greenway kids stating "at least we played AA" and pointed to the banner hanging " state 3rd place AA" at center ice from 2001. Yup this should be included in the year review hockey stories.
howardst

Post by howardst »

Oh and after watching we didn't loose much with the d that is playing for herm. He is just ok. No where near all the hype. Ammodt and sanberg are for real.
Bluelightspecial-II

Post by Bluelightspecial-II »

howardst wrote:Oh and after watching we didn't loose much with the d that is playing for herm. He is just ok. No where near all the hype. Ammodt and sanberg are for real.
But I bet you'd love to have him back. Way to derail this thread! 👏
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

howardst wrote:I love hs hockey and really love jacket hockey. It's exciting to see but as for a story it was kinda expected they would have a strong season. There is a team up here having what Meyer be considered a bigger increase in play. I will be accused of being a traitor but after seeing last nights ame at the snake pit one would be failing if you didn't mention the raiders from greenway in the story line. From a year in year out power 15 years ago to a program on deaths door, they proved last night they are back and everyone should take notice. When it comes to great chants I heard a new one last night. Greenway kids stating "at least we played AA" and pointed to the banner hanging " state 3rd place AA" at center ice from 2001. Yup this should be included in the year review hockey stories.
Not a traitor, just live in Coleraine or perhaps Bovey or Calumet.
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

As a northern boy, my favorite story so far has to be the rise back to relevance for both Hibbing and Greenway. We'll see how far we can ride those two. If nothing else, it's great to see those classic arenas filled again.

I'm not convinced that a team that has one quality win (and that in the first game of the season against a completely rebuilding defending champ that heavily outshot them) and a tie with mediocre White Bear Lake is doing "great" rather than "good," but I'd happily have Stillwater prove me wrong.

I wouldn't set these in stone, but Rosemount's rise and 8AA possibly being an actual race are both looking like pleasant surprises right now. I'd also add Elk River to the list of overachievers to date, at least based on preseason expectations.
TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ »

Anoka.
YouTube.com/BarbellMedicine
Duluthguy

Post by Duluthguy »

howardst wrote: When it comes to great chants I heard a new one last night. Greenway kids stating "at least we played AA" and pointed to the banner hanging " state 3rd place AA" at center ice from 2001. Yup this should be included in the year review hockey stories.
Well, like Greenway, Hibbing also opted up to AA at one time.

According to the MinnHock team history page, both Greenway and Hibbing opted up to AA after the 1995-96 season. That's after both had played two years of single-A hockey when the two-class system started. Hibbing eventually decided to return to single-A after the 2000-01 season. Greenway returned to single-A after the 2004-05 season.
@hockeytweet

Post by @hockeytweet »

- Holy Family and Stillwater. Putting these two together because they have the same story - predicted to be "good" but performing "great".
I agree with Karl, Stillwater has done nothing to show me greatness. They are good, but more importantly lucky with Hill seeming down. And who would bet against Hill when the it is "1 and done" come sections?

IMO, both of those teams are 1 year away.

While HF has some nice wins this year, EP is coming out of that section. When Graham is gone next year, I give them a shot--although I expect the Skippers to have something to say about that.
Sats81

Post by Sats81 »

@hockeytweet wrote:
I agree with Karl, Stillwater has done nothing to show me greatness. They are good, but more importantly lucky with Hill seeming down. And who would bet against Hill when the it is "1 and done" come sections?

While HF has some nice wins this year, EP is coming out of that section. When Graham is gone next year, I give them a shot--although I expect the Skippers to have something to say about that.
I think next year and likely for the next few years that is Tonka's section. The bantam group they have coming up is excellent as they won Bantam AA state last year and are destroying everyone this year as well and look poised to win another Bantam title.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

Sats81 wrote:
@hockeytweet wrote:

I think next year and likely for the next few years that is Tonka's section. The bantam group they have coming up is excellent as they won Bantam AA state last year and are destroying everyone this year as well and look poised to win another Bantam title.
Will they lose any of these bantams when entering high school?
And where would they go?
Sats81

Post by Sats81 »

elliott70 wrote:
Sats81 wrote:
@hockeytweet wrote: I agree with Karl, Stillwater has done nothing to show me greatness. They are good, but more importantly lucky with Hill seeming down. And who would bet against Hill when the it is "1 and done" come sections?

Will they lose any of these bantams when entering high school?
And where would they go?
I am not sure. I don't think Tonka has nearly as high of attrition rate to privates as a Wayzata or Edina does. I could be wrong though.
FadedRedLine

Post by FadedRedLine »

Poll was added
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

SATs, so far you are right about about Tonka . In fact they are attracting talent into that district. Look at Brink family who move into Tonka district this year, top Bantam of year according to TS
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

WestMetro wrote:SATs, so far you are right about about Tonka . In fact they are attracting talent into that district. Look at Brink family who move into Tonka district this year, top Bantam of year according to TS
I heard he is moving to Bemidji.
@hockeytweet

Post by @hockeytweet »

You might need to build him a golf course up there.

All kidding aside, you just never know if a family that moves for YOUTH hockey is going to stay in the H.S. program. They usually go for the best offer, or where the grass is always greener. Tonka has a lot of green.

Back to the thread--Holy Family would have to make it happen this year, and that is highly unlikely. It's a nice story for now. But they haven't played anyone that has a 1-2 punch of Graham/Mittelstadt.
silentbutdeadly3139

Post by silentbutdeadly3139 »

@hockeytweet wrote:

All kidding aside, you just never know if a family that moves for YOUTH hockey is going to stay in the H.S. program. They usually go for the best offer, or where the grass is always greener. Tonka has a lot of green.

Back to the thread--Holy Family would have to make it happen this year, and that is highly unlikely. It's a nice story for now. But they haven't played anyone that has a 1-2 punch of Graham/Mittelstadt.
There are probably only 2 or 3 teams with 1-2 punch like EP and they beat 1 of them (LN) also played other top teams including beating Minnetonka.
green4

Post by green4 »

I am not a fan of HF, not even close, but I believe they are undefeated against the skippers, which is kind of impressive. Also, I doubt any Tonka kids would want to leave once entering high school with all the success right now, but Holy Family is not too far from the lake. That would be my guess to where they could end up, compared to Benilde or Breck
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

@hockeytweet wrote:

"You might need to build him a golf course up there. "
B T&C was good enough for his dad. Assuming we are talking about Bobby Orr Brink.
Sats81

Post by Sats81 »

green4 wrote:I am not a fan of HF, not even close, but I believe they are undefeated against the skippers, which is kind of impressive. Also, I doubt any Tonka kids would want to leave once entering high school with all the success right now, but Holy Family is not too far from the lake. That would be my guess to where they could end up, compared to Benilde or Breck
Wait, so you mean to tell me you aren't a fan of Aaron Double A?!? :lol: :lol:
green4

Post by green4 »

Sats81 wrote:
green4 wrote:I am not a fan of HF, not even close, but I believe they are undefeated against the skippers, which is kind of impressive. Also, I doubt any Tonka kids would want to leave once entering high school with all the success right now, but Holy Family is not too far from the lake. That would be my guess to where they could end up, compared to Benilde or Breck
I was blocked on twitter without making a single comment. I was just looking for the inside scoop from the Fire's Michael Russo
Sats81

Post by Sats81 »

green4 wrote:
Sats81 wrote:
I was blocked on twitter without making a single comment. I was just looking for the inside scoop from the Fire's Michael Russo
Just spit water out on my computer for that comment! You owe me a new keyboard Green!
greenway1969

Post by greenway1969 »

Nice article on Coach Clafton and Greenway.
http://www.duluthnewstribune.com/sports ... prominence[/url]
east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey »

greenway1969 wrote:Nice article on Coach Clafton and Greenway.
http://www.duluthnewstribune.com/sports ... prominence[/url]
That was a good read. It's nice to see Greenway having an impact again.

Lee
Message Board arsonist since 2005
Egomaniac since 2006