Hermantown at Duluth Marshall

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

How big does Hermantown win?

Running time
33%
4 or 5 goals
42%
a decent game
25%
in OT
No votes

Total votes: 12

elliott70

Hermantown at Duluth Marshall

Post by elliott70 »

How big does Hermantown win?
Sats81

Post by Sats81 »

6-1
Sanford

Post by Sanford »

28-0
hshockeyfan53

Post by hshockeyfan53 »

Sanford wrote:28-0
Very conservative prediction.
rainier

Post by rainier »

Considering Plante's reputation for continuing to give his top line heavy minutes even when it's a blow out in the 3rd, this score might not be too far off. :o

5-0 Hawks
"You can't triple stamp a double stamp." -Harry Dunn
Wet Paint

Post by Wet Paint »

Not sure that Hermantown's goaltending will be that good.

28 - 1

The only chance that anybody has to beat Hermantown this year is going to be to have a goalie who is capable of handling about 70 shots and to go full on offense to try to outscore them. I watched them play parts of a few games (scrimmages) so far this year and I think they are going to be tough to beat unless you have lots and lots of depth and a very good goalie. I don't see any of that in DM.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

Hermantown, this year's Lakeville North?
I think someone will get 'em.
I am going with Bemidji, twice.

Balance of HTown's schedule

Thu, Dec 3
at Duluth Marshall

Sat, Dec 5
at Hopkins

Thu, Dec 10
vs. Duluth Denfeld

Sat, Dec 12
vs. Thief River Falls

Fri, Dec 18
at Minnetonka

Sat, Dec 19
at New Prague

Tue, Dec 22
vs. Eveleth-Gilbert

Tournament
C-E-C,
Duluth Marshall,
Superior,
Hermantown,
Roseville,
Delano,
Notre Dame Academy,
Bemidji

Tue, Jan 5
at Grand Rapids

Fri, Jan 8
vs. St. Cloud Cathedral

Tue, Jan 12
at Greenway/Nash-Kee

Sat, Jan 16
vs. Bemidji

Tue, Jan 19
vs. Proctor

Fri, Jan 22
vs. White Bear Lake

Sat, Jan 23
vs. Mahtomedi

Tue, Jan 26
at Virginia/Mt. Iron-Buhl

Thu, Jan 28
vs. C-E-C

Tue, Feb 2
at Farmington

Fri, Feb 5
at Brainerd

Tue, Feb 9
vs. Superior

Thu, Feb 11
vs. Hibbing/Chisholm
pekyman

Post by pekyman »

elliott70 wrote:Hermantown, this year's Lakeville North?
I expect a better game this year that last. Don't believe all the Hermantown hype as most of the hypers have an agenda. Last years Hermantown team was senior heavy and deeper that this team. The teams that played STA would smoke this current team. In the last 6 years I would place this team better than 2013 and maybe 2011. It's a good team, but it's no lake ills north. It's too bad that since the 07 crash, hockey in general and 7A including Marshall, has declined. Hermantown has been able to maintain for the most part in a pond that has lowered. I expect a tight game with Bemidgi and not so much with Marshall.
rainier

Post by rainier »

pekyman wrote:
I expect a better game this year that last. Don't believe all the Hermantown hype as most of the hypers have an agenda. Last years Hermantown team was senior heavy and deeper that this team. The teams that played STA would smoke this current team. In the last 6 years I would place this team better than 2013 and maybe 2011. It's a good team, but it's no lake ills north. It's too bad that since the 07 crash, hockey in general and 7A including Marshall, has declined. Hermantown has been able to maintain for the most part in a pond that has lowered. I expect a tight game with Bemidgi and not so much with Marshall.
What's your agenda, Peky? Why are you always slow-playing your Hawks with self-deprecating statements like "We can't compete in AA" or "Wayzata will wear us down and win in the 3rd". Why do you fight so hard to get people to think your team isn't that good?

The teams that played STA would smoke this current team? I don't believe that for a second. You may have been senior heavy last year, but not in talent, as Kero and Pionk were the only "Elite" seniors. This year, you have seven Elite league players, three more Elite Prep players, and a goalie that was All-State last year.

2014 was the weakest Hermantown team I've seen in a looong time, and they still made the title game!

And I disagree that "the pond has been lowered in 7A". Hibbing has its best team in a decade at least, Greenway is having a great resurgence, Denfeld is consistently putting out solid teams, and Virginia and Eveleth have some excellent young players on varsity or about to hit varsity soon. Even North Shore and Proctor are improved. 7A is improving as a whole, no doubt about it.

And how would you know how good 7A is anyway? Your average Hawk player plays 200 games over four years of AA Pee Wees and Bantams, and they will be lucky to play a total of 5 games versus teams from 7A. And the Hermantown varsity plays a whopping six games versus 7A teams this year, so how would they be able to tell if 7A team were better or worse?

I know this is the part where you get really angry and tell me to go improve my own "lame-a$$" program, but I just want you to admit one thing: You would rather dominate in single A than be one of 10-15 excellent AA programs.

From the ages of 12-18, the only time your players will play more than 2 Class A teams in a row is in the Class A playoffs. You call that being a Class A team?
HILARY2016

Post by HILARY2016 »

Thu, Dec 3
at Duluth Marshall

Sat, Dec 5
at Hopkins

Thu, Dec 10
vs. Duluth Denfeld

Sat, Dec 12
vs. Thief River Falls

Fri, Dec 18
at Minnetonka

Sat, Dec 19
at New Prague

Tue, Dec 22
vs. Eveleth-Gilbert

Tournament
C-E-C,
Duluth Marshall,
Superior,
Hermantown,
Roseville,
Delano,
Notre Dame Academy,
Bemidji

Tue, Jan 5
at Grand Rapids

Fri, Jan 8
vs. St. Cloud Cathedral

Tue, Jan 12
at Greenway/Nash-Kee

Sat, Jan 16
vs. Bemidji

Tue, Jan 19
vs. Proctor

Fri, Jan 22
vs. White Bear Lake

Sat, Jan 23
vs. Mahtomedi

Tue, Jan 26

Thu, Jan 28
vs. C-E-C

Tue, Feb 2
at Farmington

Fri, Feb 5
at Brainerd

Tue, Feb 9
vs. Superior

Thu, Feb 11
vs. Hibbing/Chisholm
Grand Rapids and Farmington 2 losses. No Duluth East on the schedule? Who won't schedule who?
pekyman

Post by pekyman »

HILARY2016 wrote:

Thu, Dec 3
at Duluth Marshall

Sat, Dec 5
at Hopkins

Thu, Dec 10
vs. Duluth Denfeld

Sat, Dec 12
vs. Thief River Falls

Fri, Dec 18
at Minnetonka

Sat, Dec 19
at New Prague

Tue, Dec 22
vs. Eveleth-Gilbert

Tournament
C-E-C,
Duluth Marshall,
Superior,
Hermantown,
Roseville,
Delano,
Notre Dame Academy,
Bemidji

Tue, Jan 5
at Grand Rapids

Fri, Jan 8
vs. St. Cloud Cathedral

Tue, Jan 12
at Greenway/Nash-Kee

Sat, Jan 16
vs. Bemidji

Tue, Jan 19
vs. Proctor

Fri, Jan 22
vs. White Bear Lake

Sat, Jan 23
vs. Mahtomedi

Tue, Jan 26

Thu, Jan 28
vs. C-E-C

Tue, Feb 2
at Farmington

Fri, Feb 5
at Brainerd

Tue, Feb 9
vs. Superior

Thu, Feb 11
vs. Hibbing/Chisholm
Grand Rapids and Farmington 2 losses. No Duluth East on the schedule? Who won't schedule who?
East
east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey »

pekyman wrote:
HILARY2016 wrote:

Thu, Dec 3
at Duluth Marshall

Sat, Dec 5
at Hopkins

Thu, Dec 10
vs. Duluth Denfeld

Sat, Dec 12
vs. Thief River Falls

Fri, Dec 18
at Minnetonka

Sat, Dec 19
at New Prague

Tue, Dec 22
vs. Eveleth-Gilbert

Tournament
C-E-C,
Duluth Marshall,
Superior,
Hermantown,
Roseville,
Delano,
Notre Dame Academy,
Bemidji

Tue, Jan 5
at Grand Rapids

Fri, Jan 8
vs. St. Cloud Cathedral

Tue, Jan 12
at Greenway/Nash-Kee

Sat, Jan 16
vs. Bemidji

Tue, Jan 19
vs. Proctor

Fri, Jan 22
vs. White Bear Lake

Sat, Jan 23
vs. Mahtomedi

Tue, Jan 26

Thu, Jan 28
vs. C-E-C

Tue, Feb 2
at Farmington

Fri, Feb 5
at Brainerd

Tue, Feb 9
vs. Superior

Thu, Feb 11
vs. Hibbing/Chisholm
East
Marshall figured out how to "force" East to play them. Pretty simple solution.

Lee
Message Board arsonist since 2005
Egomaniac since 2006
pekyman

Post by pekyman »

rainier wrote:
pekyman wrote:
What's your agenda, Peky? Why are you always slow-playing your Hawks with self-deprecating statements like "We can't compete in AA" or "Wayzata will wear us down and win in the 3rd". Why do you fight so hard to get people to think your team isn't that good?

The teams that played STA would smoke this current team? I don't believe that for a second. You may have been senior heavy last year, but not in talent, as Kero and Pionk were the only "Elite" seniors. This year, you have seven Elite league players, three more Elite Prep players, and a goalie that was All-State last year.

2014 was the weakest Hermantown team I've seen in a looong time, and they still made the title game!

And I disagree that "the pond has been lowered in 7A". Hibbing has its best team in a decade at least, Greenway is having a great resurgence, Denfeld is consistently putting out solid teams, and Virginia and Eveleth have some excellent young players on varsity or about to hit varsity soon. Even North Shore and Proctor are improved. 7A is improving as a whole, no doubt about it.

And how would you know how good 7A is anyway? Your average Hawk player plays 200 games over four years of AA Pee Wees and Bantams, and they will be lucky to play a total of 5 games versus teams from 7A. And the Hermantown varsity plays a whopping six games versus 7A teams this year, so how would they be able to tell if 7A team were better or worse?

I know this is the part where you get really angry and tell me to go improve my own "lame-a$$" program, but I just want you to admit one thing: You would rather dominate in single A than be one of 10-15 excellent AA programs.

From the ages of 12-18, the only time your players will play more than 2 Class A teams in a row is in the Class A playoffs. You call that being a Class A team?
Haha, did Hibbing get there summer program going this year?

Last years team had Kero, Pionk, Koepke, Aamont, Sandelin, Jacques, Valure, Baker and Samberg at the end of the year. Also Olson in nets. Also 3 additional good senior F and 2 good senior D. The only new elite player ls sophomore Watkins. Last years team was deeper. Your numbers are wrong.
rainier

Post by rainier »

pekyman wrote:
rainier wrote:
pekyman wrote: I expect a better game this year that last. Don't believe all the Hermantown hype as most of the hypers have an agenda. Last years Hermantown team was senior heavy and deeper that this team. The teams that played STA would smoke this current team. In the last 6 years I would place this team better than 2013 and maybe 2011. It's a good team, but it's no lake ills north. It's too bad that since the 07 crash, hockey in general and 7A including Marshall, has declined. Hermantown has been able to maintain for the most part in a pond that has lowered. I expect a tight game with Bemidgi and not so much with Marshall.

Last years team had Kero, Pionk, Koepke, Aamont, Sandelin, Jacques, Valure, Baker and Samberg at the end of the year. Also Olson in nets. Also 3 additional good senior F and 2 good senior D. The only new elite player ls sophomore Watkins. Last years team was deeper. Your numbers are wrong.
Which of my numbers is wrong? Half of the players you mention were sophomores last season, not exactly impact players, and their stats prove it. They all make a big jump this season, which makes it a better overall team, not to mention Aamodt, Koepke, Gotz, and Olson are all seniors now, better than they were last year.

I love how you bend over backwards to try to convince people your team isn't that good or that 7A isn't that good. You were ranked #1 all season last year, Marshall was top 5, Denfeld was top 10, and Hibbing was top 15 last year.

Yeah , 7A isn't that good...compared to 7AA.

Why do you keep saying the Hawks aren't good? Isn't sandbagging in real life enough?.Do you have to sandbag on the forum too?
stromboli

Post by stromboli »

pekyman wrote:
rainier wrote:
pekyman wrote: I expect a better game this year that last. Don't believe all the Hermantown hype as most of the hypers have an agenda. Last years Hermantown team was senior heavy and deeper that this team. The teams that played STA would smoke this current team. In the last 6 years I would place this team better than 2013 and maybe 2011. It's a good team, but it's no lake ills north. It's too bad that since the 07 crash, hockey in general and 7A including Marshall, has declined. Hermantown has been able to maintain for the most part in a pond that has lowered. I expect a tight game with Bemidgi and not so much with Marshall.

I agree with rainier, this year's Hermantown team should be stronger top to bottom than last year's team, which is saying something.

Last year's team "at the end of the year" was ranked fourth in the state in combined AA and A rankings from a couple of different models (this site and MYHockey to name two).

I'll go further and say that Hermantown has a respectable chance of running the tables for their regular season schedule. I can't find many, if any, games that they'll be considered the underdog (despite others making excuses like GB...).

Of course all of this is early speculation, as injuries, team chemistry, and a few lucky or unlucky bounces here and there can change a season. But coming out of the gate, Hermantown is one of the top 3 teams IMO in the state regardless of class.

Good luck convincing the bored otherwise.
Wet Paint

Post by Wet Paint »

No matter what the people from Hermantown try to tell you if you have watched them over the years they are good. Sure, right now they may have a hiccup here and there but across the board they are always very good. Plante is a near genius when it comes to systems and teaching them. His work with Defensemen and Forwards is amazing. I am not so sure about goalies as none of them have ever gone anyplace or done anything and it always seems like if you get to them you pretty much score on them at will. I believe that the last several years since they have gone on their 2nd place in state run that pretty much every time their goalies have let them down in the last game of the year. Since they have the same ones this year as last it will probably be the same this year. I have always wondered what a game against East would be like since historically East has always been good and has had the depth and scoring punch to get to a goalie often enough during a game to expose the weak ones.

This year will be no different. They play AA teams during the season but lets face it. Although they are teams made up of nice kids and etc etc nobody really lays awake the night before a game with most of them and worries about them. I think they will run the table this year again. Possible losses against GR and Farmington but right now GR is all over the place with unproven D and goalies and forwards who don't have a track record for consistent output. Their 1 win this year against a team that has anything going on (sorry Virginia) was against a team who only managed to beat Duluth Marshal by 1 goal (who in turn got shutout by C-E-C and was beaten by Proctor). Farmington I don't know about but when I look at the top teams in the state they are not there so I am going to assume they don't make BSM or EP or teams like that lay awake at night either so more than likely Hermantown will go through them like a hot know through butter.

Hermantown is good, they are very very good and will blow through their section (sorry rainer) and into state again where they will probably lose the last game again because somebody figures out away to deal with them and has the depth and skilled players to pull it off.
rainier

Post by rainier »

Wet Paint wrote:No matter what the people from Hermantown try to tell you if you have watched them over the years they are good. Sure, right now they may have a hiccup here and there but across the board they are always very good. Plante is a near genius when it comes to systems and teaching them. His work with Defensemen and Forwards is amazing. I am not so sure about goalies as none of them have ever gone anyplace or done anything and it always seems like if you get to them you pretty much score on them at will. I believe that the last several years since they have gone on their 2nd place in state run that pretty much every time their goalies have let them down in the last game of the year. Since they have the same ones this year as last it will probably be the same this year. I have always wondered what a game against East would be like since historically East has always been good and has had the depth and scoring punch to get to a goalie often enough during a game to expose the weak ones.

This year will be no different. They play AA teams during the season but lets face it. Although they are teams made up of nice kids and etc etc nobody really lays awake the night before a game with most of them and worries about them. I think they will run the table this year again. Possible losses against GR and Farmington but right now GR is all over the place with unproven D and goalies and forwards who don't have a track record for consistent output. Their 1 win this year against a team that has anything going on (sorry Virginia) was against a team who only managed to beat Duluth Marshal by 1 goal (who in turn got shutout by C-E-C and was beaten by Proctor). Farmington I don't know about but when I look at the top teams in the state they are not there so I am going to assume they don't make BSM or EP or teams like that lay awake at night either so more than likely Hermantown will go through them like a hot know through butter.

Hermantown is good, they are very very good and will blow through their section (sorry rainer) and into state again where they will probably lose the last game again because somebody figures out away to deal with them and has the depth and skilled players to pull it off.
I agree, Plante knows how to coach and their program is excellent, which is why they should be in AA.

They would have been the #2 seed (at least) in 7AA last year, and would be top 3 in 7AA almost every year, so why don't they play in 7AA?

It's because they might lose. Not that they will lose, but because they might lose. They would rather play in a section where it would take a HUGE upset for them to lose instead of being on equal footing with the other top 3 seeds in 7AA. They don't want a fair fight, they want a fixed fight.

It is what it is, but I just wish their faithful would admit it. Slow-playing how good they are and pleading how they can't compete in AA while beating good AA teams and doing well at AA youth levels is moronic.

Maybe the reason they can't finish at the tourney is this mantra that they can't compete in AA, so when their kids face a good AA-caliber team in the final, they are already mentally defeated.

I used to love rooting for the Hawks and would again the second they went to AA. They are a good success story but to pretend that they represent small school hockey and that being a Duluth suburb has nothing to do with their success is asinine.
rainier

Post by rainier »

Good story in the DNT about Marshall's move to AA this season.

http://www.duluthnewstribune.com/sports ... shall-move

Some interesting quotes:

From coach Flaherty-“A scout from the (Toronto) Maple Leafs called the other day and asked when we’re playing Duluth East,” Flaherty, in his 20th season at Marshall, said ahead of the recent Lake Superior Conference jamboree. “So right away we’re going to definitely be exposed to more interest.”

From senior defenseman Lane Krenzen-“I love the idea of going up to double-A,” Krenzen said. “I think single-A is almost starting to become a little bit of a forgotten class, unfortunately.”

I see Hansen is out for a few weeks for Marshall. When he comes back Marshall should have a bolstered D corps and the young forwards should likely be better, so if they can get some goaltending (it has been weak so far), then maybe they can give the 7AA big dogs a scare.
rainier

Post by rainier »

The game will be shown on TV locally on My9, and there is also a live stream available from iFan- http://www.ifan.tv/page/show/871427-live-webcast
Wet Paint

Post by Wet Paint »

rainier wrote:The game will be shown on TV locally on My9, and there is also a live stream available from iFan- http://www.ifan.tv/page/show/871427-live-webcast
I think Marshall will benefit from this move to AA in a few years but it will be tough for the next couple of them. I think that as they get more exposure more kids (including kids from Hermantown) will migrate that way. As expensive as hockey is to play I can't imagine having a kid playing for Hermantown and paying all of that money and then having the big question in my mind be whether or not they will be able to beat over half of the teams on their schedule by double digits.
Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 »

Hats off to Marshall for making the move. This is really going to build up their program. I watched them play Proctor on Tuesday night. They have a lot of good young talent and the Krenzen kid is fun to watch. They had one forward line of all Freshmen and they have some good players in Bantam AA in Duluth also. They will take some lumps the next couple of years but those young kids are really going to benefit from playing AA. I had a chance to talk to some of their JV players during the game and they are all pretty excited about the move. The Buzz is really good for the area.
rainier

Post by rainier »

Wow, today's story in the DNT about last night's Hawks-Toppers game talks more about the Hermantown refusal to opt-up than it does about the actual game. You'd think I was writing for the DNT. :D

http://www.duluthnewstribune.com/sports ... sh-classes

Plante gives his usual excuses for not opting up. Good to see the local paper continue to press him on this as the vast majority of hockey fans see how ridiculous it is that they don't move up and the calls are getting louder every year. (Won't be long before Lou Nanne calls for it too.) I just wish the writer had asked him two more questions: "Why are your youth teams good enough to compete in AA but your high school team isn't? What happens to these kids during the transition from 9th to 10th grade that suddenly renders them incapable of competing in AA?"
Hermhawkey

Post by Hermhawkey »

How's that working for 0-5 Marshall and their AA move? They lose to unranked single A team Proctor?! All while taking kids from all around the northland to include Wisconsin? 😙
Wet Paint

Post by Wet Paint »

Hermhawkey wrote:How's that working for 0-5 Marshall and their AA move? They lose to unranked single A team Proctor?! All while taking kids from all around the northland to include Wisconsin? 😙
As the old saying goes, Rome was not built in a day. it will get there and when they do, Hermantown will really feel the pinch.

Is it true that both goals for DM were scored by kids who left Hermantown to play there?
rainier

Post by rainier »

Hermhawkey wrote:How's that working for 0-5 Marshall and their AA move? They lose to unranked single A team Proctor?! All while taking kids from all around the northland to include Wisconsin? 😙
Hermantown has beaten Marshall how many times in a row now? 12? 13? And Marshall thinks AA is where they belong, but Hermantown doesn't.

You know those other teams that think they belong in AA so they opt up despite single A enrollment numbers? Hermantown is 20-4-1 against those teams since 2009. Think about that. These are teams that are willing to accept not being a single A powerhouse so they can challenge themselves against the best. You think your team shouldn't be doing the same?