7A 2015-2016 Prediction

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

rainier

Post by rainier »

Anybody know when/where the Greenway-Denfeld game is? In trying to find out, here's what I've seen so far:

Hockey Hub-Heritage Center 5:15
MSHSL-Denfeld High School 7:30
Greenway School Calendar- Denfeld High School 7:30
Denfeld School Calendar- Heritage Sill Arena 5:15 for varsity game, Heritage Seitz Arena 7:30 for JV game
Heritage Arena Calendar-Only game listed for Dec 1st is Proctor vs Duluth girls hockey games from 5:15-9:15
Denfeld Hockey Schedule posted on Heritage website- Greenway High School 7:30

WHAT? :D
"You can't triple stamp a double stamp." -Harry Dunn
greenway1969

Post by greenway1969 »

Greenway athletic department said 7:30 at Heritage.
greenway1969

Post by greenway1969 »

Yesterday morning Denfeld confirmed the game was at 7:30 at Heritage. Last night the Greenway facebook page said there is a late change due to double booking. The varsity is to play at 5:15 and the JV at 7:30. This is so messed up. I'm going to call again this morning to see if I can get some clarity.
rainier

Post by rainier »

greenway1969 wrote:Yesterday morning Denfeld confirmed the game was at 7:30 at Heritage. Last night the Greenway facebook page said there is a late change due to double booking. The varsity is to play at 5:15 and the JV at 7:30. This is so messed up. I'm going to call again this morning to see if I can get some clarity.
Really hoping its at 7:30 so I can go watch. Thanks for the update and please post when you get a final answer.
greenway1969

Post by greenway1969 »

The Greenway/Denfeld game is at 5:15.
greenway1969

Post by greenway1969 »

Disappointing loss for the Raiders (4-2 in OT). Didn't go to the game so don't know the details. Looks like they have work to do. Number 3 seed is going to be an uphill battle now.
rainier

Post by rainier »

greenway1969 wrote:Disappointing loss for the Raiders (4-2 in OT). Didn't go to the game so don't know the details. Looks like they have work to do. Number 3 seed is going to be an uphill battle now.
It seems like no one had any idea how good Denfeld was going to be this season, so it may be they are a very good team, in which case losing to them in OT shouldn't be a huge disappointment.

As for #3 seed, yes it would be hard to pass Denfeld, but Greenway still has two games with Hibbing that could get them back to #3.
Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 »

Proctor 4
Duluth Marshall 3 (OT)

Big win for the Rails. State's leading Scorer Jake Malec with the Hat Trick. Marshall out shot them but not a lot of good scoring chances. Rails up 3-2 with 2:05 left and took a penalty. Krenzen got the equalizer on the PP. That kid is a fun player to watch. He got loose a few times but Proctor was able to contain him for the most part. Unless I missed it, I don't think he left the ice in the 3rd or OT. Rails had to kill a lot of penalties in this one and they got the job done. Goalie played very well.
rainier

Post by rainier »

Jeffy95 wrote:Proctor 4
Duluth Marshall 3 (OT)

Big win for the Rails. State's leading Scorer Jake Malec with the Hat Trick. Marshall out shot them but not a lot of good scoring chances. Rails up 3-2 with 2:05 left and took a penalty. Krenzen got the equalizer on the PP. That kid is a fun player to watch. He got loose a few times but Proctor was able to contain him for the most part. Unless I missed it, I don't think he left the ice in the 3rd or OT. Rails had to kill a lot of penalties in this one and they got the job done. Goalie played very well.
Huge win for the Rails. They know how to score, and if they keep getting good goaltending they will be in the mix for a top 4 seed in 7A.
greenway1969

Post by greenway1969 »

Section 7A is starting to take shape.
1. Hermantown - Obviously still the team to beat. Unimpressive win against
Marshall and tie with Hopkins. If the reporting of SOG is correct in the
Hopkins game they were badly outshot 56 to 34. Not looking so
invincible anymore.
2. Hibbing - Nice win over Roseau. They are crushing the weaker
teams. The game against EGF this weekend will be a good measure.
3. Duluth Denfeld - I certainly underestimated them. Their win over
Greenway in OT put them firmly in the driver's seat for the #3 seed.
4. Greenway - The Raiders have dominated lesser teams but have yet to
secure that signature win. Good depth and scoring balance. A few too
many lapses in the defensive end.
5. Virginia/MIB - Played Warroad tough and handled Sauk Rapids/Rice.
6. North Shore - Unbeaten though wins are against weak teams. They
earn this spot because of their win over Proctor.
7. International Falls - A nice win over Proctor on Saturday.
8. Proctor - I cannot figure this team out. They beat Marshall and then lose
to the Falls.
9. Eveleth-Gilbert - Got their second win against Simley this past weekend.
10.Ely - Don't see how they can void the #10 seed.

Games of the Week: Hermantown vs Denfeld, Hermantown vs Thief River Falls and Hibbing vs EGF. From a Greenway fan's viewpoint, the game with Proctor on Tuesday is interesting. A must win for Greenway if they are to claim the inside track on the #4 seed. But who knows what Proctor team will show up.
Last edited by greenway1969 on Sun Dec 06, 2015 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rainier

Post by rainier »

Team-[Overall Record (7A Record)]

1. Hermantown- [3-0-1 (0-0)] The Hawks handled Marshall and once again had difficulties with Hopkins as they tied. They will dip their toe into the 7A pool this week for the first time this season as they take on Denfeld.

2. Hibbing-[4-0 (1-0)] The Bluejackets played their first 7A game and beat I-Falls 6-1, and followed that up the next day with an impressive 7-3 rout of Roseau. Although EGF had its struggles last weekend, this would be a big win for Hibbing if they can beat the Green Wave on the road. They won't play another 7A team until the first game vs Greenway on the 22nd.

3.Denfeld-[3-2 (1-0)] The Hunters squeaked an OT win out over Greenway to snatch the #3 spot away from the Raiders. They are certainly better than I thought they would be, and with Alander in nets they could prove to be dangerous in 7A. We may find out just how dangerous as they play Hermantown this week. A win would be shocking, but we'll see how long they can hang with Plante's team of destiny.

4. Greenway-[5-1 (2-1)] The Raiders lost a tough one in OT to Denfeld, thus they move down a spot. However, they continue to cruise right along in there other games and are doing what a good team does to lesser competiton. Upcoming games against Proctor and an early season rematch with Eveleth could darn near secure their spot as a top 4 seed.

5. North Shore-[4-0 (2-0)] The Storm and Hibbing are the only 7A teams left without a blemish on their record. They haven't been playing the stiffest competition, but their big win over Proctor moves them into the top 5. It will be a while before they face another 7A foe, but when they do they will go on a streak of 9 consecutive section games. It doesn't appear the Storm have many challenges on their schedule before then, so they might be in this spot for some time.

6. VMIB-[2-3-1 (0-1-1)] The Blue Devils got pummeled by Rapids and played Warroad tough, but couldn't get another win. They will get a chance to move up as they face Denfeld on Tuesday and then Eveleth on Friday. A win over the Hunters would really jumble the 3-6 spots up, so I hope they get it done.

7.I Falls-[2-3-1 (1-2-1)] The Broncos were ready to stay back at 9 with losses to Hibbing and Eveleth, but they totally redeemed themselves with a huge 4-1 win over Proctor.

8. Proctor-[4-3 (0-2)] The Rails did upset Duluth Marshall, and I was ready to move them as far up as 6, but the loss to I-Falls keeps them back. I still think this team has the top line firepower to beat some of the better 7A teams, and they will get the chance when they face Greenway on Tuesday.

9. Eveleth-Gilbert-[2-2 (1-1)] The Golden Bears beat I-Falls 6-3, but Falls beat Proctor and I think Proctor is better than E-G. In other words, I really don't know where this team should be, but their next four games are Ely, Proctor, Virginia, and Greenway, so hopefully some clarity arises out of this stretch.

10. Ely-[3-1 (0-1)] The Timberwolves lost to North Shore 5-1, but they have a chance to move up as they play Eveleth on Tuesday.

7A Game of the Week: Denfeld-Hermantown. I expect the Hawks to sink their talons deep into the poor Hunters' skulls, but we've seen great Denfeld goalies beat Hermantown in the past.

I'm also interested in the Denfeld-Virginia and Proctor-Greenway games, as I feel Virginia could really make a statement and Greenway could dagger Proctor's hopes of moving into the top 5.
hockeyfan2612

Post by hockeyfan2612 »

rainier wrote:Team-[Overall Record (7A Record)]

1. Hermantown- [3-0-1 (0-0)] The Hawks handled Marshall and once again had difficulties with Hopkins as they tied. They will dip their toe into the 7A pool this week for the first time this season as they take on Denfeld.

2. Hibbing-[4-0 (1-0)] The Bluejackets played their first 7A game and beat I-Falls 6-1, and followed that up the next day with an impressive 7-3 rout of Roseau. Although EGF had its struggles last weekend, this would be a big win for Hibbing if they can beat the Green Wave on the road. They won't play another 7A team until the first game vs Greenway on the 22nd.

3.Denfeld-[3-2 (1-0)] The Hunters squeaked an OT win out over Greenway to snatch the #3 spot away from the Raiders. They are certainly better than I thought they would be, and with Alander in nets they could prove to be dangerous in 7A. We may find out just how dangerous as they play Hermantown this week. A win would be shocking, but we'll see how long they can hang with Plante's team of destiny.

4. Greenway-[5-1 (2-1)] The Raiders lost a tough one in OT to Denfeld, thus they move down a spot. However, they continue to cruise right along in there other games and are doing what a good team does to lesser competiton. Upcoming games against Proctor and an early season rematch with Eveleth could darn near secure their spot as a top 4 seed.

5. North Shore-[4-0 (2-0)] The Storm and Hibbing are the only 7A teams left without a blemish on their record. They haven't been playing the stiffest competition, but their big win over Proctor moves them into the top 5. It will be a while before they face another 7A foe, but when they do they will go on a streak of 9 consecutive section games. It doesn't appear the Storm have many challenges on their schedule before then, so they might be in this spot for some time.

6. VMIB-[2-3-1 (0-1-1)] The Blue Devils got pummeled by Rapids and played Warroad tough, but couldn't get another win. They will get a chance to move up as they face Denfeld on Tuesday and then Eveleth on Friday. A win over the Hunters would really jumble the 3-6 spots up, so I hope they get it done.

7.I Falls-[2-3-1 (1-2-1)] The Broncos were ready to stay back at 9 with losses to Hibbing and Eveleth, but they totally redeemed themselves with a huge 4-1 win over Proctor.

8. Proctor-[4-3 (0-2)] The Rails did upset Duluth Marshall, and I was ready to move them as far up as 6, but the loss to I-Falls keeps them back. I still think this team has the top line firepower to beat some of the better 7A teams, and they will get the chance when they face Greenway on Tuesday.

9. Eveleth-Gilbert-[2-2 (1-1)] The Golden Bears beat I-Falls 6-3, but Falls beat Proctor and I think Proctor is better than E-G. In other words, I really don't know where this team should be, but their next four games are Ely, Proctor, Virginia, and Greenway, so hopefully some clarity arises out of this stretch.

10. Ely-[3-1 (0-1)] The Timberwolves lost to North Shore 5-1, but they have a chance to move up as they play Eveleth on Tuesday.

7A Game of the Week: Denfeld-Hermantown. I expect the Hawks to sink their talons deep into the poor Hunters' skulls, but we've seen great Denfeld goalies beat Hermantown in the past.

I'm also interested in the Denfeld-Virginia and Proctor-Greenway games, as I feel Virginia could really make a statement and Greenway could dagger Proctor's hopes of moving into the top 5.
As a Hermantown fan I agree. When teams play Hermantown, they always play one of their best games of the year. Despite Hermantown usually being more talented and a better team, the Hunters always have strong goaltending which usually still makes this game interesting.
rainier

Post by rainier »

hockeyfan2612 wrote:

As a Hermantown fan I agree. When teams play Hermantown, they always play one of their best games of the year. Despite Hermantown usually being more talented and a better team, the Hunters always have strong goaltending which usually still makes this game interesting.
As a Hermantown fan, can you confirm that Hopkins outshot the Hawks 56-35, or does the Hub have those numbers backwards? I'm having a hard time believing Hopkins put up that many shots on them.
hockeyfan2612

Post by hockeyfan2612 »

rainier wrote:
hockeyfan2612 wrote:

As a Hermantown fan, can you confirm that Hopkins outshot the Hawks 56-35, or does the Hub have those numbers backwards? I'm having a hard time believing Hopkins put up that many shots on them.
I was not at the game. From what I heard the shots on net were reversed, but since I was not there I am not 100% sure. You would have to turn the clock pretty far back the last time Hermantown allowed 56 shots.
TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ »

Looking like the semifinals at Amsoil Arena will be competitive. Greenway vs Hermantown would be a great David/Goliath matchup. Also Denfeld vs Hibbing seeing Perunovich vs Alander would be worth triple the price of admission. Throw in the afternoon 7AA games and the crowds should be impressive on Feb 20
YouTube.com/BarbellMedicine
howardst

Easy dj

Post by howardst »

Dj - Why would you already assume those seeds? Greenways loss was a ot game and the only game between the top 4 that has been played is Hermantowns win over denfeld. Hibbing - Greenway still play twice, Hermantown - Hbbing still play, Hermantown - Greenway still play, and Hibbing - Denfeld still play. This section is totally up in the air. In fact as it sits today, Hermantown is number one over Hibbing based on more hype than results as both teams have been very good. Denfeld - Greenway is really a toss up now. Denfeld with a ot win at home but Greenway with the better record and more impressive wins. I will go out on a limb and guess if Hibbing slips vs Greenway in either game the section seeds could look very different based almost solely on the results of the Hermantown matchups.
rainier

Post by rainier »

Team-[Overall Record (7A Record)]

1. Hermantown- [5-0-1 (1-0)] The Hawks took care of business versus Denfeld and then against a good TRF squad. Of course Alander was the reason Denfeld was able to hang around so long, and for a split second when Denfeld cut it to 2-1, I thought they might have a chance for an upset. The Hawks quickly extinguished that hope as their depth completely took over and put them away. Hermantown won’t have a 7A game for a while, but they will get a good test from Minnetonka this week.

2. Hibbing-[6-0 (1-0)] The Bluejackets traveled westward and beat EGF and Crookston by identical 3-2 scores. While EGF is no longer a top 3 A team (at least when Loven is out) it was nonetheless a great road win against what I feel is still a top 10 A team, a team that is likely better than any 7A team not named the Hawks. Hibbing hosts Mayo and Albert Lea this weekend, and they should be heavy favorites in both games. But the following Tuesday is the game most 7A fans will be waiting for, as Hibbing goes to Greenway.

Hibbing has been strong in goal and offensively, but they need their non-Perunovich defenseman to keep improving. Most of these kids are getting their first taste of varsity this season, so I am optimistic they will make significant strides. Top six forward Lescarbeau is just returning from injury, which will be a big boost.

They also need to get their power play going, as they look like they are using the Wild’s “pass around the perimeter for 2 minutes but never actually shoot” strategy. For Hibbing to level the ice with some of the deeper teams, they must be strong on the man advantage. Their top pp unit has 5 highly skilled kids, but they have to realize their potential.

3. Denfeld-[4-3 2-1)] The Hunters suffered defeat at the hands of Hermantown, but they took down Virginia to solidify their spot at #3. Now that I finally saw Denfeld play, I was impressed at how good Alander was, and not so impressed by their forwards. Of course watching most teams play Hermantown would make them look less than great, so I take that into account. They play Superior Thursday before traveling to the border the next night to face an I-Falls team that will be well rested. Will this even the odds a bit for the Broncos?

4. Greenway-[6-1 (3-1)] The Raiders absolutely pummeled Proctor 11-0 in the only game they played this week. Their only loss this season is the OT heartbreaker to Denfeld on the road, and overall they have outscored their opponents 43-8. Greenway has made it abundantly clear they are a top 4 team in 7A, and they will soon have a chance to move up a spot or two when Hibbing comes to town in nine days. But before that clash they get a re-match with E-G (who they beat 8-1 a few week ago), and then they head south to play a bunch of spoiled private school kids at Lourdes and Providence Academy. :)

I’m bullish on Greenway and feel their home game versus Hibbing is a pick ‘em. As long as both teams take care of business this week it will be a match up of a 9-1 team and an 8-0 team. Hodgins-Berardo Arena will be a madhouse!

5. North Shore-[6-0 (2-0)] The Storm continue their unbeaten season and are doing what they should do against the weak teams they have played so far. This weekend they travel to the TC to take on Chaska and St. Louis Park, which should give them better competition. After a trip to Cheeseland to play Hayward, the Storm will ring in the new year by playing the first of nine consecutive games versus 7A opponents. Thus, it will be a while before we get to see how they stack up against 7A, but we’ll learn a lot in a short amount of time.

Now let’s dive into the jumbled world of teams 6-9.

6. I Falls-[2-3-1 (1-2-1)] The Broncos somehow didn't play a game this week, and will come back from their long break to play Roseau and Denfeld, which won't be easy.

7. Eveleth-Gilbert-[3-3-1 (2-2-1)] The Golden Bears tied Virginia and lost to Proctor in OT, but I feel like this team has been playing better as of late. They will get another crack at Greenway on Tuesday, followed by the Mayo/Albert Lea weekend they share with Hibbing.

8. VMIB-[2-4-2 (0-2-2)] The Blue Devils got handled by Denfeld and tied E-G, thus they tumble to 8. What has already been a relatively tough schedule gets even worse as over the next four games they play AA teams Cloquet, Eagan, and Brainerd, which won’t help their ranking. I still see this young team making strides as the year goes along, but at this point moving past #5 seems impossible.

9. Proctor-[5-4 (2-2)] The Rails did beat E-G in OT, but they got destroyed by Greenway 11-0, a loss so bad that it keeps them at #9. Upcoming games versus Superior and Princeton will not be easy.

10. Ely-[3-2 (0-2)] The Timberwolves got trounced by E-G 9-1, and they stay at #10.

7A Game of the Week: Denfeld-I-Falls. This is the game of the week more so because of a lack of 7A match ups than because this is really an intriguing game. That said, I-Falls has shown flashes of being a top 5 7A team and if they can take advantage of their fresh legs against Denfeld having to play the night before and then make the long journey north, then this could be a great game. If anyone is cheering for the Broncos, its Greenway fans, as an upset here vaults them back to #3 with a chance to snatch #2 with a win over Hibbing the following week.
howardst

Post by howardst »

I agree with your assessment except when it comes to #3 and #4. Greenway has proven to be the team with higher quality wins and balance. A ot misque in denfeld does not put the hunters ahead of the raiders at this time. The team that has proved to this point to be a higher seed is the raiders and I believe they do not need help to be seeded ahead of the hunters due to the ot pp debacle. The raiders do control their own destiny at this time. As much as it pains me to say this being a jacket backer, "the raiders are back and we don't have to wait and see if they are any longer". I can't wait for the snake pit in two weeks. It should be one of the great matchups of the season!!!
greenway1969

Post by greenway1969 »

I wish I could be as bullish as you guys on Greenway. I think they are a solid team, but the one pretty good team they played (Denfeld) they lost. The have totally dominated the weaker teams. I think they have the potential to give Hibbing a good game, but I need some concrete results to classify Greenway as a potential spoiler. I'm sure the A.D. tried to upgrade their schedule this year, but they have been bad for so long I suppose it was difficult to find good teams that would play them. Their best nonconference opponents are St. Cloud Tech and St. Paul Johnson. Also the Schwan's Cup should provide a good measuring stick to see if they are ready to seriously pose a threat to Hibbing and Hermantown.
howardst

Post by howardst »

Well I would like to think its a two horse race but when you look at the body of work the raiders scare me. They didn't just beat proctor they made a statement. Proctor beat Duluth Marshall and Marshall battled Hermantown. All we have to go on is that. I realize you can't go by who beat who but a 11-0 waxing is a statement game greenway has not made since the days of Gino Guyer. Hibbing has played well and won there games but games like mound and only opening up in the last 5 min send a little bit of what if greenway is for real???
TheHockeyDJ

Re: Easy dj

Post by TheHockeyDJ »

howardst wrote:Dj - Why would you already assume those seeds? Greenways loss was a ot game and the only game between the top 4 that has been played is Hermantowns win over denfeld. Hibbing - Greenway still play twice, Hermantown - Hbbing still play, Hermantown - Greenway still play, and Hibbing - Denfeld still play. This section is totally up in the air. In fact as it sits today, Hermantown is number one over Hibbing based on more hype than results as both teams have been very good. Denfeld - Greenway is really a toss up now. Denfeld with a ot win at home but Greenway with the better record and more impressive wins. I will go out on a limb and guess if Hibbing slips vs Greenway in either game the section seeds could look very different based almost solely on the results of the Hermantown matchups.
"would be" was a phrase I used. I have no idea what the seeds should be or will be. Enjoy the season
rainier

Post by rainier »

greenway1969 wrote:I wish I could be as bullish as you guys on Greenway. I think they are a solid team, but the one pretty good team they played (Denfeld) they lost. The have totally dominated the weaker teams. I think they have the potential to give Hibbing a good game, but I need some concrete results to classify Greenway as a potential spoiler. I'm sure the A.D. tried to upgrade their schedule this year, but they have been bad for so long I suppose it was difficult to find good teams that would play them. Their best nonconference opponents are St. Cloud Tech and St. Paul Johnson. Also the Schwan's Cup should provide a good measuring stick to see if they are ready to seriously pose a threat to Hibbing and Hermantown.
I'm bullish because of the way they are beating lesser teams: completely destroying them. But yes, they do need prove they can beat a top 3 team in 7A.

What's crazy is that they could win 20 games, easily. The only games they would seem to be underdogs in the rest of the way are the two Hibbing games and against Hermantown. And in the Schwan cup, I think Princeton might be the only team better that would be favored against the Raiders.

They played two very close games with Hibbing last year, brought back everybody, got a new young coach who seems to be getting a lot out of them, and they have been crushing weaker opponents.

Of course I'd love to see Hibbing take them out to the woodshed in both games, but I think Greenway will be super amped for the home game and may have an intensity that will neutralize Hibbing's advantage in talent. (not a big gap)

It's just fun to see Greenway rise from the ashes and become a good team again. (as long as they don't beat Hibbing in the playoffs :D )

In looking at youth results, I see a lot of parity between Greenway, Virginia and Eveleth, with Hibbing and even I Falls not too far behind. Proctor just beat the Hibbing pee wees and Denfeld seems to have a solid pee wee team, so we could be in for a good stretch of parity in 7A, with perhaps 6 or 7 solid teams each year instead of 3 or 4. Hopefully Hermantown will heed the call to AA some time soon, and 5 or 6 teams in 7A may have a realistic shot at state. That would be a fun scenario.
greenway1969

Post by greenway1969 »

Greenway's draw in the Schwan's Cup is a good one in that they will play at least two decent teams. Their first round opponent is Spring Lake Park, the next game would be against either Minnehaha Academy or Princeton. This will be a good opportunity for Greenway to prove they have top 20 potential. Of course a win over Hibbing would accomplish that too.
TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ »

FYI, not hockey related, but it is going on the same weekend as Semi-Final Saturday in Duluth: http://www.vikings.com/news/article-1/I ... 3da8c23c23
rainier

Post by rainier »

Latest LPH rankings have 5 teams from 7A in top 20.

1. Hermantown
5. Hibbing
14. Denfeld
16. Greenway
20. North Shore

Nice!