Section 3A : 2015-2016

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

BP

Post by BP »

notTONIGHT wrote:
hawkenjonny wrote:OK I'll bite. Been following this thread for a couple years and is never dull even though I don't always understand some of the inside stuff. Have to agree with Herb. I look for the cards to get to the X. Hope my GR guys can tough it out too. Better question for 3A might be who is going to stop Luverne. I see no one. Even last year, talent was there, don't know what happened.
Setterholm simply out-coached the Cardinals. Luverne had last change but you sure couldn't tell.
Wasn't at the game. How did he outcoach them?
notTONIGHT

Post by notTONIGHT »

BP wrote:
notTONIGHT wrote:
hawkenjonny wrote:OK I'll bite. Been following this thread for a couple years and is never dull even though I don't always understand some of the inside stuff. Have to agree with Herb. I look for the cards to get to the X. Hope my GR guys can tough it out too. Better question for 3A might be who is going to stop Luverne. I see no one. Even last year, talent was there, don't know what happened.
Setterholm simply out-coached the Cardinals. Luverne had last change but you sure couldn't tell.
The teams played in early January, and Luverne put up a run time score on them. This game was not close. Luverne had so much more talent than New Ulm it was intoxicating for fans of Luverne.

Throughout the heart of the season, when coaching shines, Setterholm proved to be more successful, winning the final 2 games of the series. On the night in question, Luverne had last change and was not able to match lines the way they should have. Sure The top line for Luverne accounted for all 5 goals, but in return, the 3rd line was consistently on the ice against what was New Ulm's top line. To me, this is a strategy you may attempt in the beginning of a game, to see if you may have success slowing them down. It was evident early in the game this wasn't working, but no adjustments were made. This was a case where a stubborn coach didn't want to abandon his pregame philosophy even though it clearly wasn't working.

To sum this up, the Coaching Setterholm gave to his team throughout the season, combined with the favorable match-up they received in St. Peter on that Wednesday night, results in an out-coached verdict.
Corn Cobb

Post by Corn Cobb »

notTONIGHT wrote:
BP wrote:
notTONIGHT wrote: Setterholm simply out-coached the Cardinals. Luverne had last change but you sure couldn't tell.
The teams played in early January, and Luverne put up a run time score on them. This game was not close. Luverne had so much more talent than New Ulm it was intoxicating for fans of Luverne.

Throughout the heart of the season, when coaching shines, Setterholm proved to be more successful, winning the final 2 games of the series. On the night in question, Luverne had last change and was not able to match lines the way they should have. Sure The top line for Luverne accounted for all 5 goals, but in return, the 3rd line was consistently on the ice against what was New Ulm's top line. To me, this is a strategy you may attempt in the beginning of a game, to see if you may have success slowing them down. It was evident early in the game this wasn't working, but no adjustments were made. This was a case where a stubborn coach didn't want to abandon his pregame philosophy even though it clearly wasn't working.

To sum this up, the Coaching Setterholm gave to his team throughout the season, combined with the favorable match-up they received in St. Peter on that Wednesday night, results in an out-coached verdict.
This, coming from the clown who said that Luverne was going to send the New Ulm coach to his retirement. Classy how you throw own your ex-coach under the bus.
CornerBar

Post by CornerBar »

CherryPicker99 wrote:
notTONIGHT wrote:
CherryPicker99 wrote: I my opinion this is Luverne's best schedule that I can remember. I understand that its not great but better than normal. They have home games against SPA and Orono and travel to New Prague and Totino-Grace. Those should be 4 solid teams and should give people something to compare. I only see one game with Willmar, Mankato East and Hutch. Maybe I'm looking at the wrong schedule.

Should be another fun year in 3A. Anyone with early predictions as to who goes to the X?
Yeah i have a prediction......

Roll cards roll!
Anyone other than notTonight or Whiner33? We all could've predicted that would be your response. :D
I haven't looked much into 3A but have noticed it's clearly the most talked about thread each year so I'm hoping to get a little more into it but here's my rankings IMOP
1) Luverne
2) New Ulm
3) Hutch
4) Litch
5) Fairmont
6) Redwood
7) Willmar
8) Morris-Benson
9) Windom
10) Worthington
I'd love to hear some feedback on this because like I said I dont follow 3A that much and am curious to who might challenge Luverne.
notTONIGHT

Post by notTONIGHT »

Corn Cobb wrote:
notTONIGHT wrote:
BP wrote: Wasn't at the game. How did he outcoach them?

This, coming from the clown who said that Luverne was going to send the New Ulm coach to his retirement. Classy how you throw own your ex-coach under the bus.
Coach Brown was a tremendous asset to the Luverne Program. He was very instrumental in the program being the perennial preseason favorite. Hopefully now Luverne will perenially representing Section 3A at the x.
InigoMontoya

Post by InigoMontoya »

Favorite is in the eye of the beholder.
CherryPicker99

Post by CherryPicker99 »

Teak or Bettman, will Marshall be back in Section 3A again this year?
Whiner33

Post by Whiner33 »

Corn Cobb wrote:
notTONIGHT wrote:
BP wrote: Wasn't at the game. How did he outcoach them?

He was on the bus with Daddy to St. Cloud before the game started!
Corn Cobb

Post by Corn Cobb »

For those interested, and I know one person in particular who is, my sources indicate Marshall has been reclassified into Section 3A.
notTONIGHT

Post by notTONIGHT »

Corn Cobb wrote:For those interested, and I know one person in particular who is, my sources indicate Marshall has been reclassified into Section 3A.
The mshsl website has them reclassified into section 3a. It appears your sources are correct. Was the source the 3a Secretary?
Teak

Post by Teak »

CherryPicker99 wrote:Teak or Bettman, will Marshall be back in Section 3A again this year?
As far as I know, Marshall is still in Section 3A.

I would put them into the middle of the pack, again. :cry:
Luverne will be the favored team. Marshall beat Hutch in gridiron for the first time in who remembers how many years, so maybe Hutch will be down also.

Their "star" will be Dylan Criquet Danielson who has logged major time the last two seasons in his frosh and soph seasons.
Last edited by Teak on Sat Nov 07, 2015 7:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Teak

Post by Teak »

Corn Cobb wrote:For those interested, and I know one person in particular who is, my sources indicate Marshall has been reclassified into Section 3A.
How can they be "reclassified" into 3A when they were in 3A?
Teak

Post by Teak »

For Marshall high school, here is the following schedule for November:

Practice starts Nov 9 (coming Monday).

Scrimmage on Sat, Nov 14 at Alexandria.
Scrimmage on Tues, Nov 17 in Marshall (opponent unknown to me; it wasn't on the Marshall h.s. activities website)

Season starts at home on Tuesday, Nov 24, with Worthington visiting. I am going to try to make this game. I basically am still alternating work location between Willmar and Marshall. We'll see whom Willmar is playing that day. Their boy's ice hockey schedule isn't online yet.
InYourFace09

Post by InYourFace09 »

Teak wrote:
\

They were assigned to 2AA by the realignments, petitioned down after the fact I believe.
Teak

Post by Teak »

InYourFace09 wrote:
Teak wrote:
They were assigned to 2AA by the realignments, petitioned down after the fact I believe.
Wow. I didn't know that. Thanks for the info! They certainly wouldn't do well in a AA section.
goldy313

Post by goldy313 »

An educated guess would be once sign ups were completed one of the schools Marshall is a co-op with has no players this season. Hence Marshall's enrollment is no longer over the AA threshold. Rather than disband the co-op that schools kids just no longer counted on Marshall's enrollment. At least that is how it has worked at other schools in the past.
Teak

Post by Teak »

goldy313 wrote:An educated guess would be once sign ups were completed one of the schools Marshall is a co-op with has no players this season. Hence Marshall's enrollment is no longer over the AA threshold. Rather than disband the co-op that schools kids just no longer counted on Marshall's enrollment. At least that is how it has worked at other schools in the past.
Yeah, that makes sense. I know that Marshall has drawn students from schools like Canby and Lakeview (Cottonwood) in the past so maybe those are no longer contributing players.
notTONIGHT

Post by notTONIGHT »

Nottonight's Section 3A Preseason Prediction.

1. Luverne: Undisputed preseason favorite.

2. Hutch: Competive group in recent years. Lost their best player. (super senior sniper)

3. Litch: Returned most of their scoring. Should have enough to beat New Ulm.

4. New Ulm: The "Romo" effect in play here. People will recognize the tremendous impact Lord Setterholm had on this program due to his absence.

5. Marshall: Will make Redwood pull their goalie. Not enough up front to run with the top 4

6. Redwood Valley: Can they pull their goalie with double digit minutes left?

7. Willmar: Might have a few upsets.

8. Morris: Might end up with the 5 seed. Could be much improved.

9. Worthington: Shold beat the bottom 2

10. Fairmont: Big shoes to fill in the net.....

11. Windom: Prove me wrong.
Corn Cobb

Post by Corn Cobb »

No comments by notTONIGHT about Luverne's victory over Dodge County yesterday or about Smedsrud not playing?
notTONIGHT

Post by notTONIGHT »

Corn Cobb wrote:No comments by notTONIGHT about Luverne's victory over Dodge County yesterday or about Smedsrud not playing?
no
Corn Cobb

Post by Corn Cobb »

notTONIGHT wrote:
Corn Cobb wrote:No comments by notTONIGHT about Luverne's victory over Dodge County yesterday or about Smedsrud not playing?
no
I can understand why.
tututangous

Post by tututangous »

Corn Cobb wrote:
notTONIGHT wrote:
no
I can understand why.
Even though I'm not from this area, I can always come to this post for my daily entertainment. PLEASE, someone share the details of this newest Luverne saga. I love this. I don't even have to watch reality TV anymore.
InYourFace09

Post by InYourFace09 »

Corn Cobb wrote:
notTONIGHT wrote:
no
I can understand why.
Will he be out 2 weeks?
notTONIGHT

Post by notTONIGHT »

InYourFace09 wrote:
Corn Cobb wrote:
notTONIGHT wrote: no
I can understand why.
Will he be out 2 weeks?
He will play Saturday. Shouldn't need any more information than that.
InYourFace09

Post by InYourFace09 »

notTONIGHT wrote:
InYourFace09 wrote:
Corn Cobb wrote: I can understand why.
Will he be out 2 weeks?
He will play Saturday. Shouldn't need any more information than that.
Missing two games might take him out of the points race......