2015 HS Elite League

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

The Exiled One

2015 HS Elite League

Post by The Exiled One »

Rosters are out.

At first glance, it looks like Jaxon Nelson, Blake McLaughlin (Grand Rapids), and Gavin Hain (Grand Rapids) are the youngest three players. I believe all three will be sophomores this season.
BP

Re: 2015 HS Elite League

Post by BP »

The Exiled One wrote:Rosters are out.

At first glance, it looks like Jaxon Nelson, Blake McLaughlin (Grand Rapids), and Gavin Hain (Grand Rapids) are the youngest three players. I believe all three will be sophomores this season.
I think there are 10 sophomores.
Gotothenetman

Post by Gotothenetman »

These rosters are exactly why this league is becoming a joke. No I don't have a son that tried out or even in high school. Way to many average underclassmen. The league has lost its focus on trying to keep seniors from leaving early. If I am a high end senior like Boesser or Swaney this year why would I play in a league where not all the best players are invited.

Russo has turned this league into as big of a political game as the 2016 priesidental race.

I also heard this is why Shattuck is considering getting out of league.
ilovemesomehockey

Post by ilovemesomehockey »

Gotothenetman wrote:These rosters are exactly why this league is becoming a joke. No I don't have a son that tried out or even in high school. Way to many average underclassmen. The league has lost its focus on trying to keep seniors from leaving early. If I am a high end senior like Boesser or Swaney this year why would I play in a league where not all the best players are invited.

Russo has turned this league into as big of a political game as the 2016 priesidental race.

Agree....."Elite League" implies they have proven something (some have not even TRIED out much less made a varsity roster yet). Should be called a PROSPECT (oh, wait, there is a developement league) if its focus is going to be on bringing along sophomore talent.
Last edited by ilovemesomehockey on Fri Jul 24, 2015 2:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sats81

Re: 2015 HS Elite League

Post by Sats81 »

The Exiled One wrote:Rosters are out.

Jack Olsen Lakeville south. Soph
Sats81

Post by Sats81 »

Gotothenetman wrote:These rosters are exactly why this league is becoming a joke. No I don't have a son that tried out or even in high school. Way to many average underclassmen. The league has lost its focus on trying to keep seniors from leaving early. If I am a high end senior like Boesser or Swaney this year why would I play in a league where not all the best players are invited.

Boeser is not a senior this year...
Gotothenetman

Post by Gotothenetman »

Sats81 wrote:

Boeser is not a senior this year...
I know Sats I was using him as a example. Swaney would be a senior this year. Team SE has a player on it that did not have a point in high school. Team SE is mostly the South Suburban no better players in SE. I could name a lot of players with 25 or more points in the SSC. Total Joke!
observer

Post by observer »

Should be juniors and seniors only. Elite D is for sophomores and some juniors. Agree on the political mess. How many from STA this year? Benilde? Joke.
MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles »

Stillwater must be the favorite to win the state title...
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

By team:

6: Benilde, Stillwater(!), Hermantown
5: Hill, Edina, Wayzata, Duluth East, Grand Rapids
4: Bemidji, Eden Prairie, Prior Lake, STA
3: Lakeville North, Farmington, Minnetonka, Bloom. Jefferson, Moorhead, Breck, St. Cloud Apollo
2: Lakeville South, Burnsville, White Bear Lake, Blaine, Centennial, Luverne, Thief River Falls, East Grand Forks
Nuts&Bolts

Post by Nuts&Bolts »

Stillwater and BSM with the numbers they got into "Elite" is a joke. Better find some more dads that played at a high level in a couple of years to replenish the roster.

League should be 75% seniors, 20% juniors and 5% sophomores with no freshman. Scouts will still come and it helps drive a higher percentage of kids to stick around for the senior year to play in a Elite league since they didn't play two years already before there senior year.

Some of the gifted spots ridiculous as usual including bunches with H2O. Also another strong year for the EP assistant coach who coaches in and evaluates for the "Elite" league getting a couple of his players a free pass to the league. Get the high school coaches out of the program. :twisted: :idea:
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

First glance impressions:

Breakdown by class seems roughly same as in past years. OUB812 can better comment than me

I myself favor having some sophomore participation every year.
With all the earlier and better youth hockey training and competition , it is natural to see some of the younger talent being competitive with the juniors and seniors. And no way do those names belong on any D team.

I hope the missing star names who are unannounced about early departing will ultimately return from their USHL teams for the high school season, but am doubtful about Swaney in particular.

Pretty decent balance of outstate/metro and AA/A.

Surprised by number of Stillwater kids, but have to say I dont follow them that closely. Being from the West Metro and all. But Im sticking with Hill Murray to win the Section again until I see some hard evidence to the contrary , should know more by time of Schwans Cup

Curious if those complaining about omissions would offer a list of 5 or 10 or so specific names that could have/should have made the rosters.
old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 »

Stillwater #'s are a joke.
Sats81

Post by Sats81 »

How can this surprise anyone? It's the way it's always been. According to a lot of people on here Nick and Jacks careers were over last fall after how "poorly" they performed in the "elite" league!

This board will NEVER cease to amaze me or keep me entertained! Sure hope Ryan can score enough this fall so all the "experts" don't count him out yet! :shock:
hockeygoof1

Missing kids

Post by hockeygoof1 »

I don't want to single him out by name just as a courtesy, but there's a kid from HM that is missing for some reason. I've seen him play against most of these kids and he does more than hold his own. I also realize, like every sport, there are always going to be kids missing that should be on the roster and kids that are on the roster that shouldn't be. There are some talented kids on those rosters, though, and the majority are deserving.
BP

Re: Missing kids

Post by BP »

hockeygoof1 wrote:I don't want to single him out by name just as a courtesy, but there's a kid from HM that is missing for some reason. I've seen him play against most of these kids and he does more than hold his own. I also realize, like every sport, there are always going to be kids missing that should be on the roster and kids that are on the roster that shouldn't be. There are some talented kids on those rosters, though, and the majority are deserving.
I know who you are talking about and agree 100%! I know of at least 4 kids who made the USA National Camp off the top of my head, but aren't good enough for the Elite League?????
Gopher Blog

Post by Gopher Blog »

I don't care what the percentages are... whether it is all seniors, 75% seniors or whatever. Guys like Boeser, Novak, etc. are still going to leave for the USHL. It's just the reality of it. The Elite League may help keep a few more kids around but it's not going to eliminate some of the very best guys going off to junior hockey... so complaining about the makeup of the rosters as if it should stem the tide is not being realistic.
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

The five Hill Murray names I would have for sure expected to see are all on the Elite League roster.

Not to say another couldnt have been a close call, especially compared to the representation from some other teams.

blueblood

Elite League

Post by blueblood »

1) agree with Sats81 on his comment "How can this surprise anyone?"

2) Additional thoughts on teams:
- the 80/20 rule applies to this league:
28 MNHS hockey teams out of 150+ teams (~20%) represent 96 players out of a total of 120 spots (80%).
- Team North is 80% made up of players from 3 schools

3) 4 players from Nodak HS are on Team NW. Why don't they establish team Nodak, like team Wisconsin. This would allow for brand expansion and give a few more MN kids opportunity to play.

4) Only 1 HF player rostered
kniven

Re: Elite League

Post by kniven »

blueblood wrote:1) agree with Sats81 on his comment "How can this surprise anyone?"

28 MNHS hockey teams out of 150+ teams (~20%) represent 96 players out of a total of 120 spots (80%).

3) 4 players from Nodak HS are on Team NW. Why don't they establish team Nodak, like team Wisconsin. This would allow for brand expansion and give a few more MN kids opportunity to play.

I am curious to see how dominant team north will be. They should break up the 3 superpowers in Duluth East, Grand Rapids, and Hermantown.
100percenteffort

Post by 100percenteffort »

kniven wrote:
blueblood wrote:1) agree with Sats81 on his comment "How can this surprise anyone?"

I am curious to see how dominant team north will be. They should break up the 3 superpowers in Duluth East, Grand Rapids, and Hermantown.

HUH?!?!?
kniven

Post by kniven »

100percenteffort wrote:
kniven wrote:

HUH?!?!?
I'll take the seniors from northern schools on my elite team north and the other team can be Hermantown, East, and Grand Rapids players :)
OU812

Post by OU812 »

Thanks for the post. West Metro knows me too well; I have to try to get my two cents in..

A couple points - First of all, the league went to a board of directors structure in 2011 and John Russo, the founder of the elite league, is no longer president, as he wanted to take more time off from the league. John is on the board, and still contributes a great deal, but he is no longer in charge of the selection process. Second, the league is always willing to listen to suggestions about how to improve the process.

The 2015 elite league season selection process involved a nominating phase, begun in November 2014, which led to a beginning list of about 320 players. This list comprises all nominees, including returning players, and is called the "prospect list". The league then conducts personal scouting of all prospect list candidates during the winter, playoffs, other tournaments and the HP programs, giving each player a score. Most metro area kids were personally scouted by elite league staff 3-5 times this last season. Elite league scout input includes the NHL Central Scouting staff, Twin City based former NHL, college, and HS players and coaches, and others.

Returning players are almost always invited back, and another group of kids are invited into the league automatically, based on the given scouting score or some other performance rating (for example, making the national camp for HP 17). About 99% of the invited kids accept their invitations and register for the elite league by June or so.

Following this step, a roughly 120 player tryout list is then composed of the top rated kids that remain, and they are notified (the kids are also told that the tryouts are only a "final look", and that each kid still has a score from previous evaluations that will factor into the final selection choices). This year, all those kids tried out on Sunday, July 19 in New Hope, with roughly 40 league roster spots left to fill (a slightly higher number than a typical year). The league then met last Wednesday night, chose the players for the final spots, and posted the rosters on the website.

-------

Every year the league asks for input about how to improve the tryout process, and for any names that people feel were missed (all ears; if you think a kid was missed this year, say who he is).

I wasn't sure what the number of Stillwater kids showed about league bias, since we have no Stillwater coaches or board members working for the elite league. On the flipside, the league once cut Reed Larson's son, while Reed was a coach in the elite league.

Hopefully the league keeps putting out top end Minnesota players who stay in HS, and then go on to success at the next level. Meanwhile, the actual players in the league seem to have a great experience year in and year out, seem to go onto D1 and the NHL just fine, and after all, it's about the kids. Right?

The league is still a huge asset to Minnesota HS hockey, and looks like it will stay that way, based on this cover article in Let's Play Hockey:

http://www.letsplayhockey.com/teams/hig ... eason.html
kniven

Post by kniven »

OU812 wrote:

Thanks for the post. West Metro knows me too well; I have to try to get my two cents in..

A couple points - First of all, the league went to a board of directors structure in 2011 and John Russo, the founder of the elite league, is no longer president, as he wanted to take more time off from the league. John is on the board, and still contributes a great deal, but he is no longer in charge of the selection process. Second, the league is always willing to listen to suggestions about how to improve the process.

The 2015 elite league season selection process involved a nominating phase, begun in November 2014, which led to a beginning list of about 320 players. This list comprises all nominees, including returning players, and is called the "prospect list". The league then conducts personal scouting of all prospect list candidates during the winter, playoffs, other tournaments and the HP programs, giving each player a score. Most metro area kids were personally scouted by elite league staff 3-5 times this last season. Elite league scout input includes the NHL Central Scouting staff, Twin City based former NHL, college, and HS players and coaches, and others.

Returning players are almost always invited back, and another group of kids are invited into the league automatically, based on the given scouting score or some other performance rating (for example, making the national camp for HP 17). About 99% of the invited kids accept their invitations and register for the elite league by June or so.

Following this step, a roughly 120 player tryout list is then composed of the top rated kids that remain, and they are notified (the kids are also told that the tryouts are only a "final look", and that each kid still has a score from previous evaluations that will factor into the final selection choices). This year, all those kids tried out on Sunday, July 19 in New Hope, with roughly 40 league roster spots left to fill (a slightly higher number than a typical year). The league then met last Wednesday night, chose the players for the final spots, and posted the rosters on the website.

-------

Every year the league asks for input about how to improve the tryout process, and for any names that people feel were missed (all ears; if you think a kid was missed this year, say who he is).

I wasn't sure what the number of Stillwater kids showed about league bias, since we have no Stillwater coaches or board members working for the elite league. On the flipside, the league once cut Reed Larson's son, while Reed was a coach in the elite league.

Hopefully the league keeps putting out top end Minnesota players who stay in HS, and then go on to success at the next level. Meanwhile, the actual players in the league seem to have a great experience year in and year out, seem to go onto D1 and the NHL just fine, and after all, it's about the kids. Right?

The league is still a huge asset to Minnesota HS hockey, and looks like it will stay that way, based on this cover article in Let's Play Hockey:

Like I said I'll take the seniors. A spin can be put on any subject. I'll go with the seniors - no spin. The rich get richer, and people with loud voices get there way even if not the majority. I'll take our seniors. You can have the rich loud mouths
kniven

Post by kniven »

kniven wrote:
OU812 wrote:

-------

Like I said I'll take the seniors. A spin can be put on any subject. I'll go with the seniors - no spin. The rich get richer, and people with loud voices get there way even if not the majority. I'll take our seniors. You can have the rich loud voices