Section 3A 2014 - 2015

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Bettman's Bender

Post by Bettman's Bender »

hammer99 wrote:Seriously, why does this section get attention? Both of these teams would lose to top tier junior gold teams in the state...
False.

.... Did you just put top-tier and Junior Gold in the same sentence? ... If so, we have logical reason to invalidate your point completely. Thanks for stopping by.
pats12

Post by pats12 »

Thegoldenjet wrote:
pats12 wrote:First three penalties were laughable...I've seen enough hockey to know those won't be called at state tournament games. They see right through the flops. The most obvious trip of the night of course wasn't called. Linesman were out of position all night. The one ref that called everything showed his true incompetence by not reporting the 3rd penalty...until he blew his whistle 5 second after the next face off. Then realized it, whoops! I'm guessing he won't be at the X.

That being said, SE deserved to win, they played a smarter game, capitalized on their chances and exposed Luverne's weaknesses, which would have been magnified x10 next week.
I shouldn't do this, but I will.

I'll repeat, when you use your upper body to pull the upper front of the opposition backwards, and you use your lower body to push the lower back of the opposition forward, it is a

"slewfoot

In hockey, when using your leg to take someone off balance from behind by sweeping the back of their knee, often resulting in injury.

That ogre Malkin wasn't called for slewfooting. AGAIN. "

It is not laughable for a referee to call that, it is his obligation should he so choose to do his job based on enforcing the rules.
Maybe you can explain to me why the kid fell sideways then, he did NOT go backwards. You have quite an imagination, saw it one time in an NHL game and now become the expert slewfoot guru. What really happened was the kid was hit, the puck was loose and one kid wasn't strong enough to stay on his skates(flops) and one was.
You lose your credibility with your "obligation" comment. Then they missed plenty of other "obligations" last night. Wouldn't every type of penalty be an "obligation", or is it just your favorite the slewfoot? Isn't it their "obligation" to get in position to make a correct "obligation" call. Referees aren't obligated to call anything, it's all SUBJECTIVE. Subject to to being in position, subject to their opinion, subject to them watching what they are supposed to. For example, four guys watching the puck instead of watching their "obligation".
pats12

Post by pats12 »

notTONIGHT wrote:
Thegoldenjet wrote:Meyer, not the best goalie to come through Section 3A, maybe, hard to say, had the best team in Section 3A in the last few years in front of him last year and did a damn good job keeping the puck out of the net, but beaten the year prior by a team who needed a goalie oh so much more than last year's Luverne squad (when JAZ wasn't even the top line).

Sleepy Eye executed their instructions,

1. Frustrate talent with effort, don't commit penalties (this is where I'm saying from firsthand observation the referees did not decide the game, I don't care if Don is watching you play, when you use your upper body to pull and your leg to push, its a slough foot, and a good ref will call you for tripping, and a good team will take the lead and never trail in the game).
2. Weather the storm, cross your fingers your goalie can bail you out, if the puck comes high get it out w/ possession and exploit awful defense, including one highly touted Charlie Conway, who's game I generally have respected but calmness under pressure and vision would have served him, and apparently the faithful well, who would take his and His name in vain in the same sentence, too much pressure maybe?, and long scripture long....
3. Put the puck away when you have the chance. New Ulm/SE had the formula and executed it.

I would hope all players in tonight's game hold their head up, I saw no lack of effort or heart from either team. Many moments, individual and collective, positive and negative, will have left a mark on their memories, hopefully for the better, now and/or later, whether it be the former or the latter. The kids played, and they should be proud, even if Dad, Tom, Dick and Harry take awhile to come around.

I also would hope the faithful at some point may tire of pretending to be better than they are, and accept reality. Its good to have goals and dreams, and lofty ones, but its also good to have some concept of reality when set upon the pursuit of such ambitions.

notTONIGHT, this one was for you brother.
Which Part?
The part where he forgot to mention his jealousy. It's very apparent that he is a parent of a son that thinks he should be getting attention, but isn't. It's not anyone's "obligation" to recruit your son Dr. Slewfoot.
pats12

Post by pats12 »

Watching the gopher game...can't believe the refs don't feel "obligated " to call a penalty every time someone falls down.
hammer99

Post by hammer99 »

Bettman's Bender wrote:
hammer99 wrote:Seriously, why does this section get attention? Both of these teams would lose to top tier junior gold teams in the state...
False.

.... Did you just put top-tier and Junior Gold in the same sentence? ... If so, we have logical reason to invalidate your point completely. Thanks for stopping by.

I've watched both levels of play. New Ulm would lose to the top JGA teams in the metro. This I am absolutely sure of.
hammer99

Post by hammer99 »

GoldyGopher wrote:
It's excitement for southern MN. My guess is you live near the metro? Do understand these are all public school teams in smaller communities where hockey might not always be the main sport for everyone? If you were at the section championship you would understand the excitement.
Fair enough. And yes, I admittedly live in the metro area. Not saying these games don't get WAY more attention than junior gold games here, but speaking purely based on talent level, I'd easily take the top 5 JGA teams in the state over either of these teams.

Edina's junior gold team just beat Shattuck's midget prep team a few weeks ago.
pats12

Post by pats12 »

hammer99 wrote:
GoldyGopher wrote:
It's excitement for southern MN. My guess is you live near the metro? Do understand these are all public school teams in smaller communities where hockey might not always be the main sport for everyone? If you were at the section championship you would understand the excitement.
Fair enough. And yes, I admittedly live in the metro area. Not saying these games don't get WAY more attention than junior gold games here, but speaking purely based on talent level, I'd easily take the top 5 JGA teams in the state over either of these teams.

Don't dought your opinion one bit, it's just a numbers game.
GoldyGopher

Post by GoldyGopher »

pats12 wrote:
hammer99 wrote:
GoldyGopher wrote: It's excitement for southern MN. My guess is you live near the metro? Do understand these are all public school teams in smaller communities where hockey might not always be the main sport for everyone? If you were at the section championship you would understand the excitement.

Could be, but it's not cause the team has more talent. They likely have more depth because of more students. It was pretty much a 2 line game last night. I don't believe the top 2 lines of Edina JG are going to beat the top two lines of New Ulm or Luverne.
Bob Vance, Vance Refrigeration
jackstraw

Post by jackstraw »

Hammer, I read your post about beating SSM prep team, checked the SSM website and saw that they beat SSM midget AA team. That is the #3 midget team. You have completely
lost any credibility.
GoldyGopher

Post by GoldyGopher »

jackstraw wrote:Hammer, I read your post about beating SSM prep team, checked the SSM website and saw that they beat SSM midget AA team. That is the #3 midget team. You have completely
lost any credibility.
To be fair, Faribault is a ways a way from the metro :lol:
gopherfan7

Post by gopherfan7 »

GoldyGopher wrote:
pats12 wrote:
hammer99 wrote: Fair enough. And yes, I admittedly live in the metro area. Not saying these games don't get WAY more attention than junior gold games here, but speaking purely based on talent level, I'd easily take the top 5 JGA teams in the state over either of these teams.

Could be, but it's not cause the team has more talent. They likely have more depth because of more students. It was pretty much a 2 line game last night. I don't believe the top 2 lines of Edina JG are going to beat the top two lines of New Ulm or Luverne.
Edina's top 2 lines of JGA could beat any top 2 lines in this section hands down. Section 3A is good for the region and has good competition, but go against Edina's JGA team. Any team in this sections top 2 lines would lose to Edina's JGA top two lines by at least 2
hammer99

Post by hammer99 »

jackstraw wrote:Hammer, I read your post about beating SSM prep team, checked the SSM website and saw that they beat SSM midget AA team. That is the #3 midget team. You have completely
lost any credibility.
Is the AA team not their prep team? Seriously not trying to mislead, thought their AAA team would be their so called "real team", while their AA or 'lower' team would be referred to as prep. Much like Varsity/junior varsity.

Anyways, I'm referring to AA just to clarify. Still a very impressive win if you understand how good their AA team really is.
Wreckincrew

Post by Wreckincrew »

hammer99 wrote:
lost any credibility.
Is the AA team not their prep team? Seriously not trying to mislead, thought their AAA team would be their so called "real team", while their AA or 'lower' team would be referred to as prep. Much like Varsity/junior varsity.

Anyways, I'm referring to AA just to clarify. Still a very impressive win if you understand how good their AA team really is.
So you are claiming that the Edina cast-offs that couldn't even make their JV team would beat any varsity team from 3A by 2 goals?
C-dad

Post by C-dad »

Wreckincrew wrote:
hammer99 wrote:
lost any credibility.

So you are claiming that the Edina cast-offs that couldn't even make their JV team would beat any varsity team from 3A by 2 goals?
He's probably saying the Edina players who were stars on JV last season, but can't make the Varsity as seniors would beat any varsity team from 3A by two goals.
GoldyGopher

Post by GoldyGopher »

gopherfan7 wrote:
GoldyGopher wrote:
pats12 wrote: Don't dought your opinion one bit, it's just a numbers game.
Edina's top 2 lines of JGA could beat any top 2 lines in this section hands down. Section 3A is good for the region and has good competition, but go against Edina's JGA team. Any team in this sections top 2 lines would lose to Edina's JGA top two lines by at least 2
Boy, I hope they don't draw them in state then....
GoldyGopher

Post by GoldyGopher »

gopherfan7 wrote:
GoldyGopher wrote:
pats12 wrote: Don't dought your opinion one bit, it's just a numbers game.
Boy, I hope they don't draw them in state then....
SCBlueLiner

Post by SCBlueLiner »

In that case Hakstol better clear some time on his schedule to scout a few JGA games next time he is near the Metro. Wouldn't want to let Blais get the inside path to all that hidden talent.
GoldyGopher

Post by GoldyGopher »

SCBlueLiner wrote:In that case Hakstol better clear some time on his schedule to scout a few JGA games next time he is near the Metro. Wouldn't want to let Blais get the inside path to all that hidden talent.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Bettman's Bender

Post by Bettman's Bender »

I understand all the JGA talent talk going on here. Maybe a school like Edina's JGA would be competitive, but Edina's JGA would be very competitive with Edina's JV too. so It is really a misleading comparison.

For those who are unfamiliar on this board....It is a different beast at big schools. Big schools have the luxury of not only taking the best players but taking the right ones..... Most programs cut any senior who would play JV regardless of whether or not that said player would be a 1st line JV or first "call up" to varsity.. Maybe a senior player led JV in points his junior season and has well developed skills but doesnt have the right feet/physique/mentality or some other attribute to succeed... maybe he is the 7th best top six type forward.. he gets cut and plays JGA... Lets also not forget politics... We all know how that goes.....

To be fair, because of this scenario there are actually some pretty talented hockey players that play JGA, some that would be very good players in 3A.

I have not watched any top tier JGA teams, but I know just a few individuals who played on them. We have to realize how many players mega schools like Edina, EP, Burnsville have to draw from. There is no comparison.

Talent wise I think a squad like luverne would take care of any JGA team, possibly new Ulm as well.......

JGA goaltending.... is very hit or miss from my understanding... then again, so is 3A goaltending.. LOL...
GoldyGopher

Post by GoldyGopher »

Bettman's Bender wrote:I understand all the JGA talent talk going on here. Maybe a school like Edina's JGA would be competitive, but Edina's JGA would be very competitive with Edina's JV too. so It is really a misleading comparison.

For those who are unfamiliar on this board....It is a different beast at big schools. Big schools have the luxury of not only taking the best players but taking the right ones..... Most programs cut any senior who would play JV regardless of whether or not that said player would be a 1st line JV or first "call up" to varsity.. Maybe a senior player led JV in points his junior season and has well developed skills but doesnt have the right feet/physique/mentality or some other attribute to succeed... maybe he is the 7th best top six type forward.. he gets cut and plays JGA... Lets also not forget politics... We all know how that goes.....

To be fair, because of this scenario there are actually some pretty talented hockey players that play JGA, some that would be very good players in 3A.

I have not watched any top tier JGA teams, but I know just a few individuals who played on them. We have to realize how many players mega schools like Edina, EP, Burnsville have to draw from. There is no comparison.

Talent wise I think a squad like luverne would take care of any JGA team, possibly new Ulm as well.......

JGA goaltending.... is very hit or miss from my understanding... then again, so is 3A goaltending.. LOL...
Just pull the goalie and play with 6 skaters, or is that not allowed to do against junior gold teams either? :lol: :lol:
Thegoldenjet

Post by Thegoldenjet »

notTONIGHT wrote:
Thegoldenjet wrote:Meyer, not the best goalie to come through Section 3A, maybe, hard to say, had the best team in Section 3A in the last few years in front of him last year and did a damn good job keeping the puck out of the net, but beaten the year prior by a team who needed a goalie oh so much more than last year's Luverne squad (when JAZ wasn't even the top line).

Sleepy Eye executed their instructions,

1. Frustrate talent with effort, don't commit penalties (this is where I'm saying from firsthand observation the referees did not decide the game, I don't care if Don is watching you play, when you use your upper body to pull and your leg to push, its a slough foot, and a good ref will call you for tripping, and a good team will take the lead and never trail in the game).
2. Weather the storm, cross your fingers your goalie can bail you out, if the puck comes high get it out w/ possession and exploit awful defense, including one highly touted Charlie Conway, who's game I generally have respected but calmness under pressure and vision would have served him, and apparently the faithful well, who would take his and His name in vain in the same sentence, too much pressure maybe?, and long scripture long....
3. Put the puck away when you have the chance. New Ulm/SE had the formula and executed it.

I would hope all players in tonight's game hold their head up, I saw no lack of effort or heart from either team. Many moments, individual and collective, positive and negative, will have left a mark on their memories, hopefully for the better, now and/or later, whether it be the former or the latter. The kids played, and they should be proud, even if Dad, Tom, Dick and Harry take awhile to come around.

I also would hope the faithful at some point may tire of pretending to be better than they are, and accept reality. Its good to have goals and dreams, and lofty ones, but its also good to have some concept of reality when set upon the pursuit of such ambitions.

notTONIGHT, this one was for you brother.
Which Part?
All of it. And, Pats12, my nephew actually, but his dad (my brother in law) thinks its too soon to worry about even though he's already a pee wee.
green4

Post by green4 »

I think this recent debate is interesting since Im guessing probably nobody from 3A has seen a JGA game and I doubt many people from the metro have seen enough 3A hockey to make a comparison.

With that said, I played JGA for Edina and there is a lot of talent on those teams. If you remember, Edina had a year where Giles cut many varsity regulars during their senior year. One of those kids was even apart of a State Championship for the Hornets in 2010. All but one or two of the kids that made that JGA team played at least JV. The goaltender for that team just got a division one hockey scholarship.
There was no Jaxon Nelson on these teams, but I had a teammate that, if it was not for his attitude, probably would have been a 2nd or 3rd liner for Edina when they won state in 2013. Many more from my team that could have played Varsity for schools like Hopkins. In fact, there is a kid on Edina's JGA team this year who played Varsity for Holy angels last year.

If you were to ask me, I would pick top JGA teams over section 3A teams, but I have not watched enough of 3A hockey to make an honest call
DubCHAGuy

Post by DubCHAGuy »

hammer99 wrote:
lost any credibility.

Just to clarify on Shattuck:

Shattuck Prep: Their top team. Tough to compare to HS teams since they rarely play one, and when they do it's only the elite AA schools. They win about 4 out of 5 of those.

AAA Midget: 2nd team. Still very good. I would rank them in the #12-25 range in AA in most years if they played MSHSL. 6-0 this year vs. the elite 2 league winning every game by 3 or more, granted they are mostly Jr's/Sr's and elite 2 is mostly Soph's.

AA Midget: 3rd team. Comparable to an average class A team, in most years. They seem to get mixed results. I don't think they've ever played a varsity team from MN, but there are probably plenty that they could beat.

The Edina JGA vs. 3A debate is a little skewed. Edina JGA would probably be ranked in the top 20 of class A. There is just a ridiculous amount of depth that is produced from the Edina program. 3A shouldn't take it as an insult. Edina JGA would beat a lot of HS teams.
Teak

Post by Teak »

hammer99 wrote:
Bettman's Bender wrote:
False.

I've watched both levels of play. New Ulm would lose to the top JGA teams in the metro. This I am absolutely sure of.
Don't end your sentences with a preposition. Perhaps you haven't passed high school English yet, so maybe we shouldn't take your opinion seriously.

Of this, I am absolutely sure. :lol:
pekyman

Post by pekyman »

Bettman's Bender wrote:I understand all the JGA talent talk going on here. Maybe a school like Edina's JGA would be competitive, but Edina's JGA would be very competitive with Edina's JV too. so It is really a misleading comparison.

Adam Carlson-G, Edina
Committed: Mercyhurst College (Atlantic Hockey, D1)
He was cut by Edina and played Junior Gold, then Juniors at Coulee Region.

Edina has about 8-10 Bantam teams so thats about 70 or so new players each year trying for a spot on Varsity/Jv. There must be a lot of pretty good players there that never make the JV but still want to play.