2014-15 AA High School Hockey Predictions

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

observer

Post by observer »

I seem to remember that transfers can play varsity for their former team.
It may not be why this player transferred schools but correct?

Or, is that a youth rule?
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

observer wrote:I seem to remember that transfers can play varsity for their former team.
It may not be why this player transferred schools but correct?

Or, is that a youth rule?
I think you lose that right once you suit up for your new school (as McClure had--and I'm not sure he was ever at Denfeld to begin with, anyway).

While I agree, upon rereading, that this is a little fishy, I'm still struggling to see a motive here. How is going to Denfeld a hockey-related move? They've done a nice job of being feisty and competitive over the past few years, but it's hardly been a breeding ground for higher-level prospects. McClure would've been a top six forward at either school. Even with him they might not be better than Marshall, and they're all in the same section with Hermantown, so it's not like he's upped his odds at going to State. Unless there was something internal, I'm not seeing the motive.
OTB987

Post by OTB987 »

AA Rankings

1 Edina - depth will allow them to win state. Speed and skill.

2. LV North - depth will allow them to win state. They play with an edge and that is worth a goal or two every game.

3. Wayzata - can they score goals to get them to a state championship?

4. Benilde - juniors are going to have to step up. Next year is more likely for them to take the title. Like their depth if they choose to use it.

5. Maple Grove - can beat anyone but might lack consistency to win a stretch of games at end of year.

6. St. Thomas - experience. This team will win consistently.

7. Eden Prairie - a few too many questions about certain areas to be in the top 5 discussion. Those questions could push them out of the top 10 after a couple of weeks.

8. Holy Family - top end talent. A 8 ranking is probably the high water mark for them.

9. Hill Murray - coaching experience

10. Elk River - potential top 5 team so probably see them jump way up. Always a tough win against ER.

- Prior Lake, Cretin, Bloomington Jefferson, Andover, Burnsville will be in the mix of pushing for a solid top 10 spot. Prior Lake could be a top 5 team by January.

- Duluth East and Hermantown will be the top teams from out of the Metro with Hermantown being the best. I would say Hermantown is a top 5 team in AA. EGF is in the mix too but a goal or so behind DE and Hermantown.
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

OTB and I are in agreement who is in the top 10 going into regular season, albeit in a slightly different order after the top 2.
WarmUpTheBus

Post by WarmUpTheBus »

OTB987 wrote:AA Rankings

2. LV North - depth will allow them to win state. They play with an edge and that is worth a goal or two every game.

4. Benilde - juniors are going to have to step up. Next year is more likely for them to take the title. Like their depth if they choose to use it.

5. Maple Grove - can beat anyone but might lack consistency to win a stretch of games at end of year.

7. Eden Prairie - a few too many questions about certain areas to be in the top 5 discussion. Those questions could push them out of the top 10 after a couple of weeks.

8. Holy Family - top end talent. A 8 ranking is probably the high water mark for them.

10. Elk River - potential top 5 team so probably see them jump way up. Always a tough win against ER.

- Prior Lake, Cretin, Bloomington Jefferson, Andover, Burnsville will be in the mix of pushing for a solid top 10 spot. Prior Lake could be a top 5 team by January.

- Duluth East and Hermantown will be the top teams from out of the Metro with Hermantown being the best. I would say Hermantown is a top 5 team in AA. EGF is in the mix too but a goal or so behind DE and Hermantown.
I think I would add Blaine to the in the mix list.
OTB987

Post by OTB987 »

OTB - WM
1. Edina - Edina
2. LVN - LVN
3. Wayzata - BSM
4. BSM - STA
5. MG - HM
6. STA - Wayzata
7. EP - ER
8. HF - HF
9. HM - MG
10. ER - DE

WM has DE in and EP out.
OTB987

Post by OTB987 »

WarmUpTheBus wrote:
OTB987 wrote:AA Rankings

I think I would add Blaine to the in the mix list.
Knowing what they lost to graduation last year and they could not get it done with an experienced coach makes it hard to consider them a top 10 team coming into this season. Hope they prove me wrong though.
CreaseMonkey

Post by CreaseMonkey »

karl(east) wrote: While I agree, upon rereading, that this is a little fishy, I'm still struggling to see a motive here. How is going to Denfeld a hockey-related move?
Curious how Denfeld has reversed the exodus trend and suddenly become a hockey destination.

Recent transfers include two from Hermantown, two from Superior, one from Cloquet, one from Marshall, plus an exchange student that happens to play as well.

I can see underclassmen who may read the writing on the wall at their former school making a move to better their chances of playing, even if it means a year of JV. For a senior who has played varsity since 9th grade, you would expect that they would have an iron clad guarantee of eligibility before pulling the trigger on a transfer.
CreaseMonkey

Post by CreaseMonkey »

karl(east) wrote: While I agree, upon rereading, that this is a little fishy, I'm still struggling to see a motive here. How is going to Denfeld a hockey-related move?
Curious how Denfeld has reversed the exodus trend and suddenly become a hockey destination.

Recent transfers include two from Hermantown, two from Superior, one from Cloquet, one from Marshall, plus an exchange student that happens to play as well.

I can see underclassmen who may read the writing on the wall at their former school making a move to better their chances of playing, even if it means a year of JV. For a senior who has played varsity since 9th grade, you would expect that they would have an iron clad guarantee of eligibility before pulling the trigger on a transfer.
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

OTB, I reposted my final picks on Nov 5th, with EP in and DE out. Reposted below. So we have all the exact same top 10 teams, albeit some different order. At that time Bellows and Zuhlsdorf were unannounced departing, but I still think Edina and LVN would be tied for #1 anyway.

Posted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:26 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, my final preseason prediction shown below:

Dropped Duluth East from Top Ten, Replaced with EP

Moved Elk River up Ahead of Wayzata

Otherwise, pretty much the same as July 22

Top 10 Picks, last year record and returning key players.

1 Edina 20 -4-1 Malmquist , Bellows? , Wait ,Zuhlsdorf?,
Masterman Dornbach, Mishmash, Fuss, Bohlby, Foley,Meyer, Pugh, Boe

2. LV North 20-4-1 Poehlings,McNeeley, Enebak, Sadek, Reis, goalie Edquist

3 Benilde 13 -8-3 Jungels,Kaske,Newhouse, Roo,Heimbold , Austin Calengar, Risteau . Goaltenders Long /Bischell

4 St. Thomas 18-6-1 Broetzman , Versich , Tufto, Donahue,McDonald,Hurley Smallidge, Goalie Snow

5 Hill Murray 22 -3 . Mikey Anderson, Olsen,Mills, Zarembinski, Staum. Goalie Wendlandt Coach Lechner is worth a couple notches in the rankings.

6 Elk River 18-6 Kierstad, Jaremko,,Lutz,Johnson Schwab, Goalie Meyers

7 Wayzata 19 -5 -1 Stevens, Zimmer, Sorenson, Senden,Duma, Dingman, Patterson Goalie Schilling

8 Eden Prairie 14 8-3 Graham, Schoo, Aguilar,Middlestat,Sullivan, Goalies Durocher/Thompsom

9 Holy Family 19-5-1 Peterson, Garin, Redden, Runyon,Anderson , Goalie Heifort

10 Maple Grove 14-8-3 Passolt, Huff, Kelly,Franta, Zajicek, Goalie Goodman
BP

Post by BP »

WestMetro wrote:OTB, I reposted my final picks on Nov 5th, with EP in and DE out. Reposted below. So we have all the exact same top 10 teams, albeit some different order. At that time Bellows and Zuhlsdorf were unannounced departing, but I still think Edina and LVN would be tied for #1 anyway.

3 Benilde 13 -8-3 Jungels,Kaske,Newhouse, Roo,Heimbold , Austin Calengar, Risteau . Goaltenders Long /Bischell

4 St. Thomas 18-6-1 Broetzman , Versich , Tufto, Donahue,McDonald,Hurley Smallidge, Goalie Snow

5 Hill Murray 22 -3 . Mikey Anderson, Olsen,Mills, Zarembinski, Staum. Goalie Wendlandt Coach Lechner is worth a couple notches in the rankings.

7 Wayzata 19 -5 -1 Stevens, Zimmer, Sorenson, Senden,Duma, Dingman, Patterson Goalie Schilling

8 Eden Prairie 14 8-3 Graham, Schoo, Aguilar,Middlestat,Sullivan, Goalies Durocher/Thompsom

Add Gleekel to BSM.
100percenteffort

Post by 100percenteffort »

BP wrote:
WestMetro wrote:OTB, I reposted my final picks on Nov 5th, with EP in and DE out. Reposted below. So we have all the exact same top 10 teams, albeit some different order. At that time Bellows and Zuhlsdorf were unannounced departing, but I still think Edina and LVN would be tied for #1 anyway.

Add Gleekel to BSM.
Remove Reis from LVN
Defensive Zone

Post by Defensive Zone »

100percenteffort wrote:
BP wrote:

Add Gleekel to BSM.
Remove Reis from LVN
Why? Can I ask?
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

Good catch on Reis

Misprint in Elite League Team Southeast Roster, which showed him at LVN.
Thought maybe he had transferred "hardship" down there from Cretin.
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

Updates on the Duluth transfers:

Cam McClure has been ruled eligible, and will play varsity for Denfeld this season.

Luke Dow's situation will not be resolved until the December 4 MSHSL meeting at the earliest. For preseason ranking purposes, I'm assuming he's not eligible. (Those will come out tomorrow, by the way.)
Defensive Zone

Post by Defensive Zone »

karl(east) wrote:Updates on the Duluth transfers:

Cam McClure has been ruled eligible, and will play varsity for Denfeld this season.

Luke Dow's situation will not be resolved until the December 4 MSHSL meeting at the earliest. For preseason ranking purposes, I'm assuming he's not eligible. (Those will come out tomorrow, by the way.)
Thanks for the info.