How important is it to do HP14/15?

Discussion of Minnesota Youth Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Mite-dad

How important is it to do HP14/15?

Post by Mite-dad »

I have a kid that is eligible for this this fall, but he is playing football and I don't know if I want to do both. We do intend to do the HP 15 thing in the spring. Will him not doing HP this fall impact his chances in the spring?
GoldenBear

Post by GoldenBear »

No; have him enjoy football it won't impact what happens for 15's. I have two kids that have gone through it. Good luck this football season. GB
MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles »

Your kid will have to bump kids that are already etched in the minds of all involved. Attended by many.

Wish GB was right, but will be at least a little harder.
Mite-dad

Post by Mite-dad »

MrBoDangles wrote:Your kid will have to bump kids that are already etched in the minds of all involved. Attended by many.

That's what I was thinking too.
edgeless2

Post by edgeless2 »

MrBoDangles wrote:Your kid will have to bump kids that are already etched in the minds of all involved. Attended by many.

Do not completely disagree Bo. But as I understand it those 2 programs are run independent of each other so IF that is the case, it's probably less of an issue.
Shinbone_News

Post by Shinbone_News »

Agree that it's "all the usual suspects" here and it can be frustrating if your kids hasn't been one of the anointed ones since mites. But you can take some consolation in knowing that (1) puberty is still coming for many of these kids and it will shake the dice up pretty good; 14/15 is where there are some huge disparities in size and maturity that could disappear in a year (2) As MN Hockey loves to say, there is 50% turnover in players from each HP level to the next.

These two points probably related.

I will add that having watched tryouts this year in my district, I can confirm that there ARE kids with little or no political advantages (otherwise known as "unknowns") who do make the cut -- I am not talking about my own player, who didn't really give a crap about tryouts and it showed, thereby nullifying the massive political advantage that the Shinbone hockey household normally enjoys.