2014-15 AA High School Hockey Predictions

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

badgermom78

2014-15 AA High School Hockey Predictions

Post by badgermom78 »

Top 15 AA

1. Edina
2. Lakeville North
3. Duluth Eas
4. Grand Rapids
5. Elk River
6. Wayzata
7. Benilde St. Margarets
8. White Bear Lake
9. St Thomas Academy
10. Cretin
11. Hill Murray
12. Maple Grove
13. Prior Lake
14. Holy Family
15. Farmington
MWS coach

Post by MWS coach »

Section 7 with 3 of the top 5, tough section.
Scout716

Post by Scout716 »

Hill Murray is listed very high. They seem to have a huge drop off in talent. losing to many top end players and only attracting average skilled players right now. I see them in a couple year rebuilding / recruitment phase.
buttend

Re: 2014-15 AA High School Hockey Predictions

Post by buttend »

badgermom78 wrote:Top 15 AA

1. Edina
2. Lakeville North
3. Duluth Eas
4. Grand Rapids
5. Elk River
6. Wayzata
7. Benilde St. Margarets
8. White Bear Lake
9. St Thomas Academy
10. Cretin
11. Hill Murray
12. Maple Grove
13. Prior Lake
14. Holy Family
15. Farmington
You have #1 and #2 right. There are a lot of teams that could be ranked in the 3-10 range. Duluth East and STA are not among them. Hill Murray is too high, Maple Grove and Prior Lake should be in that top 10 group. Not sure Holy Family is a top 15 team. Farmington has their best group of kids ever top 12- 15.
wbmd

Post by wbmd »

Why do you have White Bear so high? They won't be much of anything without Wahlin.
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

No way would I have 3 7AA teams in the top 5. Elky, maaybe, if everyone's back and things fall into place. East, maybe 10ish. Rapids behind that, though definitely in the picture.

I haven't looked at a whole lot beyond that (and won't really bother until we know who's coming back and who isn't), but it's hard to argue with the top two.

Hill will take a hit considering who they lost, but if I remember right, there was an awful lot of Green on the Select 15 national camp team...they won't fall too far. STA is probably in a similar boat, thought I know less about them.
Nuts&Bolts

Post by Nuts&Bolts »

Ahhh pre pre-season rankings! Nothing so much fun while being so pointless at the same time. Not sure with Butt's comment about "alot of teams that could be ranked in the 3-9 range" butt I would certainly question GR, ER and White Bear before East or STAA being in the top 9. I'm also not sure who I would move up to top 9 outside of Cretin and maybe Maple Grove. HM will be top 9 by the end of the year minus the strong senior class from last year and early departures. Holy Family lost a good chunk with maybe a early departure which could be a set back. Prior Lake has a decent young group lacking experience but lost a pretty good group last year and has never achieved anything at the high school level. Farmington is maybe around 15 but that's about it. And I'm not seeing teams like EP, B'ville, EV or Tonka making hay to the top 10 anytime soon. What is the countdown for Karl's preseason rankings anyway? :D
Nuts&Bolts

Post by Nuts&Bolts »

And no sandbagging Karl. East should "easily" be top 8 to start the year.
east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey »

Nuts&Bolts wrote:And no sandbagging Karl. East should "easily" be top 8 to start the year.
Nah, I can't see it. :mrgreen:

Lee
Message Board arsonist since 2005
Egomaniac since 2006
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

Im reposting my March 12 Predictions, obviously subject to additional early departure information..

Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:54 pm

2014-15 Rank with departures and key returns noted.

1 Edina: No certain departures? Malmquist ,Wait , Bellows,Zulhs, Foley, Masterman Mishmash, Dorhback

2 Wayz No certain departures? Freytag, Zimmer,Sorenson,Patterson, Duma,Aherns

3 LV N McNeely(75%) and Oettinger gone. Poehlings, Enebak, Sadek

4 BSM: No certain departures? Austin, Jungels,Kaske,Newhouse, Roo Heimbold,Calengar, Risteau, Long

5 Hill: Joey gone. Mikey, Olsen, Mills, Zarembinski, Staum

6 STA Novak gone: Broetzman, ,Versich, Tufto, Donahue, McDonald

7 Brns Boeser and Rossini gone . Ahcan,Rossini, Dupre, Lubbesmeyer

8 EV Driscoll, Muehlbauer

9 ER Jaremko Kierstad,Johnson, Lutz

10 HF Rasmussen Gone. Peterson? Garin, Runyon, Anderson,Redden,
badgermom78

Post by badgermom78 »

WestMetro wrote:Im reposting my March 12 Predictions, obviously subject to additional early departure information..

Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:54 pm

2014-15 Rank with departures and key returns noted.

1 Edina: No certain departures? Malmquist ,Wait , Bellows,Zulhs, Foley, Masterman Mishmash, Dorhback

2 Wayz No certain departures? Freytag, Zimmer,Sorenson,Patterson, Duma,Aherns

3 LV N McNeely(75%) and Oettinger gone. Poehlings, Enebak, Sadek

4 BSM: No certain departures? Austin, Jungels,Kaske,Newhouse, Roo Heimbold,Calengar, Risteau, Long

5 Hill: Joey gone. Mikey, Olsen, Mills, Zarembinski, Staum

6 STA Novak gone: Broetzman, ,Versich, Tufto, Donahue, McDonald

7 Brns Boeser and Rossini gone . Ahcan,Rossini, Dupre, Lubbesmeyer

8 EV Driscoll, Muehlbauer

9 ER Jaremko Kierstad,Johnson, Lutz

10 HF Rasmussen Gone. Peterson? Garin, Runyon, Anderson,Redden,
Wayzata - Freytag 99% gone. Ahrens 90% gone.
Benilde - New goalie coming in to challenge Long and others.
Eastview - Driscoll probably gone
Elks - Jaremko and Kierstad could be gone.
kniven

Post by kniven »

karl(east) wrote:No way would I have 3 7AA teams in the top 5. Elky, maaybe, if everyone's back and things fall into place. East, maybe 10ish. Rapids behind that, though definitely in the picture.

I haven't looked at a whole lot beyond that (and won't really bother until we know who's coming back and who isn't), but it's hard to argue with the top two.

Hill will take a hit considering who they lost, but if I remember right, there was an awful lot of Green on the Select 15 national camp team...they won't fall too far. STA is probably in a similar boat, thought I know less about them.
My Lumberjacks from Cloquet will have something to say to Rapids and East this winter, as with the rest of 7AA. :)))
NLHockey

Post by NLHockey »

A lot can change (and many other factors) from Bantams but interesting anyway ....

2011-12 Minnesota Bantam A Rankings

1 Wayzata Trojans A

2 Edina Hornets A

3 Burnsville Blaze A

4 Osseo Maple Grove A

5 White Bear Lake Bears A

6 Prior Lake Savage Lakers A

7Eden Prairie Eagles A

8 Rosemount Irish A

9 Woodbury Predators A

10 East Grand Forks A

11 Moorhead Spuds A

12 Andover Huskies A

13 Sibley Warriors A

14 Farmington Tigers A

15Minnetonka Skippers A

16Lakeville North A

17Duluth East A

18Elk River Elks A

19Blaine Bengals A

20Roseville Raiders A

21Eastview Lightning A

22Stillwater Stallions A

23Centennial Cougars A

24Hermantown Hawks A

25Lakeville South A
alcloseshaver

Post by alcloseshaver »

kniven wrote:
karl(east) wrote:No way would I have 3 7AA teams in the top 5. Elky, maaybe, if everyone's back and things fall into place. East, maybe 10ish. Rapids behind that, though definitely in the picture.

My Lumberjacks from Cloquet will have something to say to Rapids and East this winter, as with the rest of 7AA. :)))
Summer must be over :D
alcloseshaver

Post by alcloseshaver »

Blaine will still be a factor in the top 15, Maple Grove also. No one leaving early from Elk River.
puckbreath

Post by puckbreath »

Prediction:

One team will win the A title.

One team will win the AA title.

You're welcome :P
mulefarm

Post by mulefarm »

1) Shattuck-St. Marys
2) Bauer-Emerson
kniven

Post by kniven »

puckbreath wrote:Prediction:

And a third. Don't forget our A public school for 7 years running, the Hermantown Hawks. A single A hockey dynasty
Tenoverpar

e

Post by Tenoverpar »

Stillwater should be in the top 15 to start the season.
They bring back the core of their state tournament team and bring in a very very talented group of Bantams, perhaps their best group in years and they all stayed together..no defections to Hill, STA, CDH
With Hill expected to have less proven top end talent and White Bear losing their top 3 assetts from last season..Stillwater may be in the middle of a run as the top dog on the eastside.
Sparlimb

Re: e

Post by Sparlimb »

Tenoverpar wrote:Stillwater should be in the top 15 to start the season.
They bring back the core of their state tournament team and bring in a very very talented group of Bantams, perhaps their best group in years and they all stayed together..no defections to Hill, STA, CDH
With Hill expected to have less proven top end talent and White Bear losing their top 3 assetts from last season..Stillwater may be in the middle of a run as the top dog on the eastside.
I predict they are one hit wonders and have a couple epic losses in sections in the coming years. Its one thing to be the underdog, its a whole other thing to be the favorite. Ask Blaine.
northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer »

kniven wrote:

And a third. Don't forget our A public school for 7 years running, the Hermantown Hawks. A single A hockey dynasty
Single A runner-up hockey dynasty :P
Nuts&Bolts

Post by Nuts&Bolts »

For more fun I'll put SSM no better than 3rd behind Edina and Wayzata. SSM lost some seniors & PGs and had other early defections. Plus they may lose the next goalie likely slotted for Prep to LN, BSM or STAA. With the loss of Brodeur to the O and other losses its unlikely the U16 or Midget AAA team replenishes the ranks with maybe 2 kids coming up from the Bantam team. Call me Nuts but I'll take the West metro teams and maybe the new recruiting powerhouse in the south metro.
greenway1969

Post by greenway1969 »

Elk River is the only 7AA team that should be considered top ten, again assuming everyone stays. East has the best system and coaching and of course will be there at the end. Rapids is a big question mark. Plenty of young talent, but given their inability last year to develop some of that talent and weak defensive play they probably should only rank in the top 20 for the preseason. Unless Rapids can prove they can break out of their zone their season will end up being very disappointing. The section is weaker than 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6.
Last edited by greenway1969 on Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Froggy Richards

Post by Froggy Richards »

northwoods oldtimer wrote:
kniven wrote:

Hermantown is going to be good for a long time. Each year they get more and more of the best players from neighboring Associations through open enrollment or move ins. They don't complain about Private Schools anymore.
Cadets16

Post by Cadets16 »

Froggy Richards wrote:
northwoods oldtimer wrote:
kniven wrote: And a third. Don't forget our A public school for 7 years running, the Hermantown Hawks. A single A hockey dynasty
Hermantown is going to be good for a long time. Each year they get more and more of the best players from neighboring Associations through open enrollment or move ins. They don't complain about Private Schools anymore.
Until Breck knocks them off in the Tourney this year.