Regionals - D2

Discussion of Minnesota Youth Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Broke

Regionals - D2

Post by Broke »

Does anyone know why D2 only has 2 PWA and BA seeds in the North regionals this year? Per the handbook, they were originally scheduled to have 3 this year, but it has been edited so that D11 now has 3 seeds. I would understand if one of the districts had to take the hit, but there are eight districts (including D12 and now D11 in the North) that have 3 seeds in 3 of the last 4 years. D2 is the only district that has 3 seeds only once in the last 4 years.

Also, it looks like the same thing happened last year. The handbook shows an edit moving D2 from 3 seeds to 2 in the East, in favor of D8.

I am hoping someone can provide a little background.
betterupnorth

Re: Regionals - D2

Post by betterupnorth »

Broke wrote:Does anyone know why D2 only has 2 PWA and BA seeds in the North regionals this year? Per the handbook, they were originally scheduled to have 3 this year, but it has been edited so that D11 now has 3 seeds. I would understand if one of the districts had to take the hit, but there are eight districts (including D12 and now D11 in the North) that have 3 seeds in 3 of the last 4 years. D2 is the only district that has 3 seeds only once in the last 4 years.

Also, it looks like the same thing happened last year. The handbook shows an edit moving D2 from 3 seeds to 2 in the East, in favor of D8.

The better question is why a twin cities district like D2 is even in the North region. When you hear north, you think Eveleth, I-falls, Duluth/Hermantown, Warroad and Roseau, not Tartan, White Bear Lake and Highland Central.
PuckRanger

Post by PuckRanger »

betterupnorth wrote:
Broke wrote:Does anyone know why D2 only has 2 PWA and BA seeds in the North regionals this year? Per the handbook, they were originally scheduled to have 3 this year, but it has been edited so that D11 now has 3 seeds. I would understand if one of the districts had to take the hit, but there are eight districts (including D12 and now D11 in the North) that have 3 seeds in 3 of the last 4 years. D2 is the only district that has 3 seeds only once in the last 4 years.

The better question is why a twin cities district like D2 is even in the North region. When you hear north, you think Eveleth, I-falls, Duluth/Hermantown, Warroad and Roseau, not Tartan, White Bear Lake and Highland Central.
Exactly... and that is why it was edited. D2 was not in that region last year. They replaced D16 in that region and D16 was slated to have only 2 seeds this year, so just by nature, D2 was given 2 seeds as their replacement.

Minnesota Hockey has successfully metro-ized every region. It is now possible to have a state tournament without any northern teams.
betterupnorth

Post by betterupnorth »

PuckRanger wrote:
betterupnorth wrote:

Exactly... and that is why it was edited. D2 was not in that region last year. They replaced D16 in that region and D16 was slated to have only 2 seeds this year, so just by nature, D2 was given 2 seeds as their replacement.

Minnesota Hockey has successfully metro-ized every region. It is now possible to have a state tournament without any northern teams.
Same thing happened at PWB1 regions two years ago with (I think) D10 having two seeds in the north region (elk river and Blaine). Still, both teams that went to state that year were out of D11, and they played each other for 3rd place. (Hermantown and North Shore). The 3rd place team in regions was also from D11, Duluth East. These northern teams can compete at state, and it would be a shame if D11 or D12 had less seeds in the north region than a twin cities team.
Broke

Post by Broke »

Agree there are also some questions about why districts bounce around between regions. I imagine there is some logic other than bias against the North. But maybe not.

PuckRanger, is your explanation based on the official word of MN Hockey or is it your own rationale? Not picking a fight ... just want to know. I suppose it makes some sense, at least in terms of having some logical basis. I can see how you want the North to be comprised of Northern teams. However, unless D2 asked to be bounced around, it hardly seems fair to them either. It seems like the seeding rotation is designed to roughly balance the allocation, and yet D2 ends up as the only district getting shorted.

Of course, there are many more injustices in this world, both within hockey and without, so I am not too worked up. Just looking to understand.
Marty

Post by Marty »

Gerrymandering in MN Hockey. Say it ain't so.
nobama

Post by nobama »

They see it working for usa hockey why not here.. :-$

another Moldy medal :roll:
betterupnorth

Post by betterupnorth »

Marty wrote:Gerrymandering in MN Hockey. Say it ain't so.
Just a thought, if regions were kept the same each year who would be the best 3 choices for the North?
PuckRanger

Post by PuckRanger »

betterupnorth wrote:
Just a thought, if regions were kept the same each year who would be the best 3 choices for the North?
The three northern districts, of course. D11, D12, and D16.
betterupnorth

Post by betterupnorth »

PuckRanger wrote:
betterupnorth wrote:
The three northern districts, of course. D11, D12, and D16.
Those would be my choices too, but there also might be people who wouldn't have a problem with throwing the brainerd/Pequot lakes area in that region as well(not sure which disrtict that is)
betterupnorth

Post by betterupnorth »

Hermantown A comes from behind late in the third to beat Superior on the road in their last regular season game. Should give them some momentum headed into districts this Monday