Class A Championship: Hermantown vs. STA

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Can the Hawks pull it off?

Yes
60%
No
40%

Total votes: 20

Mite-dad

Post by Mite-dad »

East Side Pioneer Guy wrote:The thing is the call late followed by the non-call really screws the STA kids as well. You take the breaks you get because often enough they go the other way, but it's not the best way to win.
Huh!?
jeffpv

Post by jeffpv »

2good4u wrote:
East Side Pioneer Guy wrote:The thing is the call late followed by the non-call really screws the STA kids as well. You take the breaks you get because often enough they go the other way, but it's not the best way to win.
sorry but those 2 calls dictated the game, those refs should be doing moose lake games here on out
Dictated the game?
What about the previous 50 minutes?
Let's face it, Hermantown had opportunities to truly put this game away. In fact, they deserved to win this game. Unfortunately, they didn't.
I think it's a cop out to place the blame on the refs. Were you blaming the refs when Hermantown was up by two goals? I thought not.
MnMike#1

STA

Post by MnMike#1 »

Ok, bottom line we all know that comparing STA to the rest of the state teams is basically apples and oranges considering STA's unique logistics.
Of course, this in itself should not prevent them from participating in sports.
However, the faculty, coaches, parents and students of STA that think STA, in light of their unique advantages should ever have been in the single A bracket, well, they need to wake up, to put it cordially.
That being said, the REF's need to take ownership of this game.
I totally agree with all that say if you're going to call any, you need to call all penalties.
oldschoolpuckster

Post by oldschoolpuckster »

Tough call on Hermantown the end...but he pulled him down. I thought the refs let a lot go today (until that one) tough no call on the other end but that was just a hard play (that had been let go all day). No talk of the 4th Hermantown goal no call???? The kid drilled the goalie into the net and the puch was dragged in with the goalie. Should have been a goalie inter. and no goal.

Great game to watch as a fan of quality hockey!! All the talk of STA being ready to move up....Hernmantown looks just as ready for AA IMO.

I didn't like Plante going over to the ref right after the game. Show some class!!
dherman8

Post by dherman8 »

oldschoolpuckster wrote:Tough call on Hermantown the end...but he pulled him down. I thought the refs let a lot go today (until that one) tough no call on the other end but that was just a hard play (that had been let go all day). No talk of the 4th Hermantown goal no call???? The kid drilled the goalie into the net and the puch was dragged in with the goalie. Should have been a goalie inter. and no goal.

Great game to watch as a fan of quality hockey!! All the talk of STA being ready to move up....Hernmantown looks just as ready for AA IMO.

I didn't like Plante going over to the ref right after the game. Show some class!!
They are good, they could even play some competitve AA games, but they are more of an A team than STA.
Bonin2121

Post by Bonin2121 »

oldschoolpuckster wrote:Tough call on Hermantown the end...but he pulled him down. I thought the refs let a lot go today (until that one) tough no call on the other end but that was just a hard play (that had been let go all day). No talk of the 4th Hermantown goal no call???? The kid drilled the goalie into the net and the puch was dragged in with the goalie. Should have been a goalie inter. and no goal.

I'm sorry, but are you effing kidding me talking about a lack of class and picking on Hermantown?
east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey »

Bonin2121 wrote:

I'm sorry, but are you effing kidding me talking about a lack of class and picking on Hermantown?
It's oldschoolpuckster's schtick. Nothing new.

Lee
Message Board arsonist since 2005
Egomaniac since 2006
HSH1212

Post by HSH1212 »

In defense of St. Thomas, Hermantown's 4th goal was a questionable no call when their player ran the goalie into the net.

Hermantown brought their A game as usual but they simply ran into a team with more depth and talent then them.
HShockeywatcher

Post by HShockeywatcher »

Agreed on all accounts. I didn't see the hit at the end of the game everyone is referring to, but there were definitely some bad calls/no-calls that went Hermantown's way today as well. The 4th Hermantown goal, for example, was terrible. They even replayed it multiple times at the X and it was clear as day. But that happens, there were bad calls and no calls both ways it sounds like. Were they what decided the game? No.
There are 51 minutes to score and stop the other team from scoring. Both teams capitalized on their opportunities.

Hermantown has the best power play I have seen all year. They move the puck well and don't waste shots. The first two goals on the power play were very good.

Congrats to everyone involved; great game!
Gretzky9

Post by Gretzky9 »

I was at the game. It went both ways today with the refs. A couple questionable calls on St. Thomas during the game helped them get up on STA. the fact the STA goalie got ran when the puck in the crease and allowing the goal to stand really helped too.
The last penalty on Hermantown should not have been called. Overall, the refs impacted a game they had no right influencing that way.
I would normally cheer for almost anyone who plays STA but based on everything I have heard come out of Plante's mouth the last year and his general whining, I found myself pleased with the outcome.
The biggest issue again for me was the impact the refs had on a championship game that affected both teams.
oldschoolpuckster

Post by oldschoolpuckster »

Bonin2121 wrote:

Picking on???Stating the fact that the coach showed very little class after a tough loss. I'm sorry that I don't feel bad for a team that has been in the championship game 4 years in a row!!! STA has only been in the last 3.................I guess winning makes you bad and losing makes you a hero
MnMike#1

Post by MnMike#1 »

Plante had every right to make his case. Its not only his right but his job to represent the players.
He had a very legitimate concern. The refs screwed up. Doesn't mean the outcome of the game would have been any different, but the fact remains, the refs SCREWED UP!
iwatchalotofhockey

Highlights from the game

Post by iwatchalotofhockey »

Here are the highlights of the game for you to view:

http://pointstreak.com/flashapp/index_h ... id=2159894
DekeDangler

Post by DekeDangler »

What do you think the result would hane been if it was Breck and STA
MnMike#1

Post by MnMike#1 »

I applaud all of our fine Minnesota students that participate in high school sports.
I especially applaud those members of a program(faculty, students and parents) that when given the opportunity to descend to an easier bracket because of their enrollment, chose to stay in the tougher bracket and compete with the more stiff competition. There have been many examples of this throughout the state.
Unfortunately, STA has chosen to remain in the single A bracket (BECAUSE THEY COULD).
A deciding factor can't be due to how many times they make the tournaments as students are continually graduating.
However, STA's unique advantages slip through the cracks of criteria considered by the MSHSL.
I guess the message to STA is "BETTER LATE THEN NEVER".
Jbird

Post by Jbird »

How many state championships is jb going to screw up? what year was it that he blew that call against moorhead?

The holding call on hermantown was a very weak call, but hey he makes it and hermantown has it all but killed off if they make the correct call on sta. You either have to call both or neither.

On hermantown's 4th goal u have to blame the replay official if you don't like the call. They look at and have the final say.

Great game, horrible way for it to end.
WarmUpTheBus

Post by WarmUpTheBus »

Bonin2121 wrote:

Hermantown fans booing St Thomas during the awards ceremony was very classy
Hawks76

Post by Hawks76 »

The Hawks are moving. Back to section 7 where they belong.
MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles »

WarmUpTheBus wrote:
Bonin2121 wrote:

Hermantown fans booing St Thomas during the awards ceremony was very classy
The whole state was booing st. Most classless group of people out there.
thestickler07

Post by thestickler07 »

MrBoDangles wrote:The whole state was booing st. Most classless group of people out there.
Get it all out...

:lol: :lol: :lol:
hockeymannorth

Post by hockeymannorth »

Talk about lack of class why didn"t STA come shake hands when Hermantown got their awards? Way to show sportsmanship this was worse than ref call
Last edited by hockeymannorth on Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
speedskater

Post by speedskater »

That was one of the worst calls in a state tournament game ever, period! 2 minutes left and that play had no effect on the outcome of the game. Quite frankly you could have called the St, Thomas player for the penalty. Then to not call a penalty at the other end for a worse hold or interference than the prior penalty is just plain wrong. Plante had every right to go after the officials. They decided the game and that is what really is to bad.
Deck Slide

Post by Deck Slide »

HShockeywatcher wrote:

Agreed on all accounts. I didn't see the hit at the end of the game everyone is referring to, but there were definitely some bad calls/no-calls that went Hermantown's way today as well. The 4th Hermantown goal, for example, was terrible. They even replayed it multiple times at the X and it was clear as day. But that happens, there were bad calls and no calls both ways it sounds like. Were they what decided the game? No.
There are 51 minutes to score and stop the other team from scoring. Both teams capitalized on their opportunities.

Hermantown has the best power play I have seen all year. They move the puck well and don't waste shots. The first two goals on the power play were very good.

Congrats to everyone involved; great game!
I honesty can not believe people on this board think that Hermantown's fourth goal was questionable.. The dam puck was loose in the crease. Kids now can't go hard tonight and look for rebounds. The Call and then non call was and will be the worst referee call and non call for a long time in state tournament history!
lumberjackhockey

Post by lumberjackhockey »

MnMike#1 wrote:I applaud all of our fine Minnesota students that participate in high school sports.
I especially applaud those members of a program(faculty, students and parents) that when given the opportunity to descend to an easier bracket because of their enrollment, chose to stay in the tougher bracket and compete with the more stiff competition. There have been many examples of this throughout the state.
Unfortunately, STA has chosen to remain in the single A bracket (BECAUSE THEY COULD).
A deciding factor can't be due to how many times they make the tournaments as students are continually graduating.
However, STA's unique advantages slip through the cracks of criteria considered by the MSHSL.
I guess the message to STA is "BETTER LATE THEN NEVER".
I really respect Roseau's program. I played them growing up all my life, and watched them win the state tournament in AA my senior year. With an enrollment of 374 they are half the size of most A schools and would be at the state tournament every single year if they opted to move down. STA should have followed suit long ago...
spin-o-rama

Post by spin-o-rama »

Doubt the class A thread will go to 5 pages next year. Today was a taste of the great moments of the single class days. Further separation of the Goliaths and Davids will mean fewer Cinderella moments.

Fantastic game by Hermantown. Congrats to the players.