StarTribune All Metro Team

Discussion of Minnesota Girls High School Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

observer

StarTribune All Metro Team

Post by observer »

old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 »

Congrats to Abbi White she is a big reason the Rangers are in the state tourny.
JohnnyBuck

Post by JohnnyBuck »

No Kate Flug? Wow! Alot of good players but I think they missed the mark on that one.
old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 »

2nd team is loaded as well. Good group of kids this year. Shipper/Flug/Wolf all very good and landed up on the 2nd team.
sinbin

Post by sinbin »

Again, if you mention a name that should be added, you should also mention the name that should be removed.
DmanDad1980

Post by DmanDad1980 »

Very good year for Girls High School hockey...
Girls on 2nd & 3rd team are outstanding hockey players...

Hard not to notice, but lots of future Gophers in this bunch... :D

Congrats to all the girls!
sinbin

Post by sinbin »

The rich (Gophers) get richer.
yeahokaypal

Post by yeahokaypal »

sinbin wrote:The rich (Gophers) get richer.

Not all are rich... I know one of them personally and she is definitely not rich. From a decent middle class family that worked hard to get to where she is.
sinbin

Post by sinbin »

Speaking of wealth (or richness) of talent that the Gophers possess and continue to build upon - nothing whatsoever to do with income, etc.
Bandy

Post by Bandy »

JohnnyBuck wrote:No Kate Flug? Wow! Alot of good players but I think they missed the mark on that one.
Flug was named 2nd team. How did they miss the mark? That's quite an honor.

Amy Peterson ranks above Bowman, Rooney, Menke, Flug, & Wolfe in KRAPPI. If anyone missed the mark, I'd say they missed it by not putting Amy anywhere in the top 3 lines. She's a great player who seldom gets the recognition she deserves.

One could make a strong case that Schammel should be higher than 3rd line too, but as a junior making, it anywhere on the top 3 lines is an honor.

I wouldn't like to take anyone off the list, but I'd say K. Larson is the real dark horse here. Plenty of forwards have scored more, both in real points and points accounting for strength of schedule. Peterson, Falck, Wheeler, Boyd, Reilly, Rodgers, Brigham, Hespeneide, Williamson, and Roethke to name a few.
livin' in the 651

Post by livin' in the 651 »

Bandy wrote:
JohnnyBuck wrote:I wouldn't like to take anyone off the list, but I'd say K. Larson is the real dark horse here.
Larson was the leading scorer on the Suburban East Champions and accounted for 22% of the team's point. They don't win the conference without her.
oag

Post by oag »

No disrespect to Larson, but your logic doesn't hold up.

Peterson was the leading scorer on the team that won the Lake Conference, arguably tougher night in night out. More importantly, Minnetonka has also won the last 2 State Championships, and Peterson was key in both. I don't know Peterson, but interesting that her reputation seems to be the type of player who cares very little about self promotion and outside accolades.

From a public recognition standpoint, better to be a very good player, and the leading scorer, on decent team than one of several great players on a great team.

BSM ranked first most of the year, and they have 1 representative. EP is second seed at state with only their goalie showing up on the 3rd team? The reality is, people will complain if all of the players from traditionally strong teams get the recognition "they deserve", so things like this are spread are among girls that are good players from a variety of schools.

I won't give the names, because then the discussion will go directly to "stop bashing a high school player on line", but Peterson could/should replace 4 of the forwards who made the list. And, there are defenders on the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd team that could be replaced by both Liv Halvorson of Benilde and Ari Reid of Lakeville South. In my opinion, the girls who made the list fit the category of:
1) Good players from programs less traditionally strong
2) Good players who have enjoyed the benefit of being in the "right" Minnesota hockey political circles from a young age
kwjm

Post by kwjm »

I didn't realize that points scored was the only indicator of a player's worthiness to be deemed "All Metro". I always thought a player's impact on the game could be made in ways that don't show up in the box score. Perhaps I am too old fashioned.
Bulldog3489

Post by Bulldog3489 »

I don't want to focus on any individual kids. But I wouldn't expect a forward averaging 15 regular season goals his or her last two years to be in the conversation for all metro. There are just too many players with stronger credentials.
leftwing

Post by leftwing »

sinbin

Post by sinbin »

Bandy, I like your thoughtfulness on the SOS-adjusted PPG, but I think you need to come up with a better acronym than KRAPPI. Just sayin' . . .

Not that KRACH is the best acronym, either, but just sayin' . . . :wink:
Bandy

Post by Bandy »

sinbin wrote:Bandy, I like your thoughtfulness on the SOS-adjusted PPG, but I think you need to come up with a better acronym than KRAPPI. Just sayin' . . .

Not that KRACH is the best acronym, either, but just sayin' . . . :wink:
Got something better? It came to me in a vision, and I didn't want to tempt fate.

"Dani has some sick moves! She's one of the KRAPPIest players in the state." "But Kelly & Nicole are KRAPPIer!"

"Yeah, that's just because of the square root model. If you use KRACH SOS straight up, Amy and Laura are the KRAPPIest. Dani & Nicole aren't even in the top 5!"

Kind of grows on you, don't it?
sinbin

Post by sinbin »

So the hockey extension of "sick" or "phat"?
D6 Girls Fan

Post by D6 Girls Fan »

You guys need a different hobby. :)

And yet, I am oddly fascinated at your KRAPPIness.
sinbin

Post by sinbin »

Here's an idea - add an 'S' in front, perhaps for "super" or "square-root" some other appropriate adjective, to make it SKRAPPI!
Bandy

Post by Bandy »

Bandy wrote:...
Amy Peterson ranks above Bowman, Rooney, Menke, Flug, & Wolfe in KRAPPI. If anyone missed the mark, I'd say they missed it by not putting Amy anywhere in the top 3 lines. She's a great player who seldom gets the recognition she deserves...
Well, Amy got a little recognition this weekend.