Summer Camps

Discussion of Minnesota Youth Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

hipcheck62

Summer Camps

Post by hipcheck62 »

I would like for my son to go to a week long overnight camp next summer with some of his friends. I went when I was about his age and still have great memories. He will be 11 at the time, if that matters.

Does anyone have experiences from this year or prior years of places they would recommend? Good hockey instruction would help, but I am more interested in the overall experience with other activities, food, amenities, etc. I want him to have fun, not feel like he has to go to practice all day.
old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 »

My son went to Woog,and liked it about 5 or 6 years ago. Ihave heard Steve jenson's camp is a good one ,never had a kid go. Chuck Grillo has Mn Hockey school up on Gull Lake.
puckhead58

Post by puckhead58 »

Heartland hockey camp....lots of ice time & recreation. Sign up early....it's full by March most years. And bring a fan......dorms are hot
C_R

Post by C_R »

Highly recommend Minnesota Hockey Camps in Nisswa:

www.mnhockeycamps.com

Great information on their webpage, Facebook and Twitter. Attendees from all over the country, ages range from mites to Pros.
DrGaf

Post by DrGaf »

puckhead58 wrote:Heartland hockey camp....lots of ice time & recreation. Sign up early....it's full by March most years. And bring a fan......dorms are hot
agree, the kid went a couple times and loved each time (except the first!). They even have a parent/skater week that we did once and was fantastic.
Sorry, fresh out, Don't Really Give Any.
BadgerBob82

Post by BadgerBob82 »

Heard good things on the Sioux camp at UND. Kids get to use Sioux locker room and skate at the Ralph. Stay in dorms. Good food. Fees are reasonable. Coaches don't speak in the 3rd person.
puckhead58

Post by puckhead58 »

BadgerBob82 wrote:Heard good things on the Sioux camp at UND. Kids get to use Sioux locker room and skate at the Ralph. Stay in dorms. Good food. Fees are reasonable. Coaches don't speak in the 3rd person.
Yep. Been to that one as well. Kids had a lot of fun there. Only downside is no lake recreation.
BadgerBob82

Post by BadgerBob82 »

True on not having a lake. But they have The Red Pepper!!!
MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles »

BadgerBob82 wrote:True on not having a lake. But they have The Red Pepper!!!
!!! :roll:
Section 8 guy

Post by Section 8 guy »

I know it was commented on earlier but I am thinking about sending my 11 yo to Woogs camp. Does anyone have experience with it, good or bad?
@hockeytweet

Post by @hockeytweet »

Shattuck has weeklong camps (boarding & non-boarding options) in the summer that are quite well run. Plenty of down time activities, but it's not on a lake or anything if that matters. Not exactly a cheap option, but felt it was worth it for the experience.
The weeks are usually in July, so you would have to look at next year.

A great thing about this is, your kid will meet kids from all over, which is different than many camps. Developing social skills and learning some independence can be more important at the 11-14 age than a little extra stickhandling, etc.

I'm sure experiences are mixed. It simply depends on what your expectations are from a week-long hockey camp.

Good luck in your research. I'm not sure how this compares to Woog, Hearland, etc...