Leaving early for 12-13

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer »

Some of you guys make it sound like the BCHL is a premiere league or something. Huge disparity of talent of the teams in that league, so hard for me to see the benefit of that league overall in comparison to USHL and NAHL teams.
Jordy Christian put up 84 points out in that league a few years back now he cannot make double digits in points in the WCHA. Glorified 4 on 4 league with NO defense. USHL and NAHL are better options for developing players to move on the college and professional levels.
Reggie

Post by Reggie »

northwoods oldtimer wrote:Some of you guys make it sound like the BCHL is a premiere league or something. Huge disparity of talent of the teams in that league, so hard for me to see the benefit of that league overall in comparison to USHL and NAHL teams.
Jordy Christian put up 84 points out in that league a few years back now he cannot make double digits in points in the WCHA. Glorified 4 on 4 league with NO defense. USHL and NAHL are better options for developing players to move on the college and professional levels.
I agree and there is only a few good teams in the league.
Crimson

Post by Crimson »

Disagree with comments on BCHL. Great league with a much more wide open style of play. My son played in NAHL and BCHL. BCHL is a slightly younger league - much like the USHL - but overall much better than the NAHL. Two second/third liners from his BCHL team left mid season and became first/second liners for teams in the NAHL. The BCHL is scouted much more by D1 schools than the NAHL - just look at the commitment lists for the 2 leagues. Every college coach he spoke with told him that the BCHL gave him a better chance to earn a scholly. Also, I believe the top 3-4 teams in the BCHL would be very competitive in USHL.
keepyourheadup

Post by keepyourheadup »

The top teams from both leagues are a miss match in my opinion. Much like A and AA in high school.. There are a few teams that could compete but overall one is far superior to the other.
siouxforce19

Post by siouxforce19 »

Crimson wrote:Disagree with comments on BCHL. Great league with a much more wide open style of play. My son played in NAHL and BCHL. BCHL is a slightly younger league - much like the USHL - but overall much better than the NAHL. Two second/third liners from his BCHL team left mid season and became first/second liners for teams in the NAHL. The BCHL is scouted much more by D1 schools than the NAHL - just look at the commitment lists for the 2 leagues. Every college coach he spoke with told him that the BCHL gave him a better chance to earn a scholly. Also, I believe the top 3-4 teams in the BCHL would be very competitive in USHL.
It goes like this: USHL>BCHL>AJHL>NAHL

Other Canadian leagues, like the OJHL are probably better than the NAHL as well, but I see little from them, and hear of few players from that league going to D1 schools I'm familiar with, so hard to judge.

The top tier teams in the leagues in Canada would be competitive in the USHL, but the depth in those leagues is not as good because of the CHL taking most of the high end talent. Penticton in the BCHL was so dominant that to me I don't feel like those kids are really being tested. They pretty much walked through the season without a sweat. I hope the kids on that team going to college remember what battling adversity is like before they get to college or there could be problems.
jackstraw

?

Post by jackstraw »

Any crossover games between leagues that can be used? Did Penticton play any NA teams in any tourney type formats?
hockeyfan893

Post by hockeyfan893 »

Rising Seniors

Rising Juniors
Ryan Collins, NTDP (USHL), Benilde
Jack Glover, NTDP (USHL), Benilde

Rising Sophomores
Paul Bittner, Portland Winterhawks (WHL), Crookston
Keegan Iverson, Portland Winterhawks (WHL), Breck
icehornet

Post by icehornet »

Looks like Edina's Jack Walker could be joining his brother in the WHL. Hornets are always deep but that would hurt.

http://www.peninsulanewsreview.com/spor ... &bc09=true
bemused

Post by bemused »

OJHL Championship is next week..Wisconsin Wilderness from SIJHL are in 4 team field..will be interesting to see how they do..
OGEE OGELTHORPE

Post by OGEE OGELTHORPE »

bemused wrote:OJHL Championship is next week..Wisconsin Wilderness from SIJHL are in 4 team field..will be interesting to see how they do..
Yeah, can't wait to watch it. It's being televised on ESPN 8 the Ocho.
STAdangler

Post by STAdangler »

Cause everyone care about the wilderness and phil housley's disappointment of a son
4thlineproblems

Re: ?

Post by 4thlineproblems »

jackstraw wrote:Any crossover games between leagues that can be used? Did Penticton play any NA teams in any tourney type formats?
I know wenatchee from the NA played a bunch of BC teams and one Alberta junior team in the pre-seanson they used for their try-out process. Wenatchee went 7-1 and that is including a win over pentiction. Again it was only pe-season and both teams im sure were using it as a tryout process, but it shows the gap between the leagues are similar. I have a hard time believing that lucia, reily, and fogarty would be leading the NA is points like they are in the BC
northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer »

4thlineproblems
I have a hard time believing that lucia, reily, and fogarty would be leading the NA is points like they are in the BC
I would agree with your comment.
The Exiled One

Post by The Exiled One »

Here's the old thread...

http://www.ushsho.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=26392

I'm trying to get the new list compiled. Stay tuned.
The Exiled One

Post by The Exiled One »

Okay, here's what I've got so far...

Code: Select all

Class Pos Player              Previous Team New Team
So    D   Jack Walker*        Edina         Victoria-WHL
So    D   Keegan Iverson      Breck         Portland-WHL
So    F   Paul Bittner        Crookston     Portland-WHL
Jr    D   Jack Glover         BSM           NTDP
Jr    F   Connor Hurley*      Edina         Muskegon-USHL
Jr    F   Karson Kuhlman*     CEC           Dubuque-USHL
Jr    D   Ryan Collins        BSM           NTDP
Sr    D   Jordan Gross*       Maple Grove   Green Bay-USHL
Sr    F   Louie Nanne*        Edina         Penticton-BCHL
Sr    D   Michael Brodzinski* Blaine        Muskegon-USHL
Sr    F   Vinnie Letteri*     Minnetonka    Lincoln-USHL
Some of these guys are not confirmed, but highly likely (noted with an asterisk*). Juniors having a commitment in hand and playing USHL in spring is extremely correlative with playing in the USHL the following season. My apologies if I'm wrong.

Who am I missing?
Last edited by The Exiled One on Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

The Exiled One wrote:Some of these guys are not confirmed, but highly likely. Juniors having a commitment in hand and playing USHL in spring is extremely correlative with playing in the USHL the following season. My apologies if I'm wrong.
Could you perhaps make separate lists for those who are confirmed departures, and those who are still just likely to go? I understand what you're doing, but I'd rather not jump to conclusions right away...
The Exiled One

Post by The Exiled One »

karl(east) wrote:Could you perhaps make separate lists for those who are confirmed departures, and those who are still just likely to go? I understand what you're doing, but I'd rather not jump to conclusions right away...
I edited the list. How does that look?
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

The Exiled One wrote:
karl(east) wrote:Could you perhaps make separate lists for those who are confirmed departures, and those who are still just likely to go? I understand what you're doing, but I'd rather not jump to conclusions right away...
I edited the list. How does that look?
Looks good. Thanks!
The Exiled One

Post by The Exiled One »

Code: Select all

Class Pos Player              Previous Team   New Team
So    D   Jack Walker*        Edina           Victoria-WHL
So    D   Keegan Iverson      Breck           Portland-WHL
So    F   Paul Bittner        Crookston       Portland-WHL
Jr    D   Jack Glover         BSM             NTDP
Jr    F   Connor Hurley*      Edina           Muskegon-USHL
Jr    F   Karson Kuhlman*     CEC             Dubuque-USHL
Jr    D   Ryan Collins        BSM             NTDP
Sr    D   Johnny Wiitala      Lakeville South Waterloo-USHL
Sr    D   Jordan Gross        Maple Grove     Green Bay-USHL
Sr    F   Louie Nanne         Edina           Penticton-BCHL
Sr    D   Michael Brodzinski  Blaine          Muskegon-USHL
Sr    F   Vinnie Letteri*     Minnetonka      Lincoln-USHL

*Some of these guys are not confirmed, but highly likely. My apologies if I'm wrong.
Any more confirmations on this list or additions to it?
Last edited by The Exiled One on Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:47 pm, edited 6 times in total.
scorekeeper

Re: ?

Post by scorekeeper »

jackstraw wrote:Any crossover games between leagues that can be used? Did Penticton play any NA teams in any tourney type formats?
NAHL teams went 10-2-2 through 14 exhibition games against BCJHL a
nd AJHL last season, and went undefeated against the Vees
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

This article seems to suggest Jake Bischoff of Grand Rapids is leaving early...any truth to that? http://www.duluthnewstribune.com/event/ ... up/sports/
east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey »

karl(east) wrote:This article seems to suggest Jake Bischoff of Grand Rapids is leaving early...any truth to that? http://www.duluthnewstribune.com/event/ ... up/sports/
Just so long as nobody claims his coach "ran him out of town" :mrgreen:

Lee
Message Board arsonist since 2005
Egomaniac since 2006
hockeyfan893

Post by hockeyfan893 »

Word is Hill-Murray will be losing two. Still waiting for official confirmation.
Vapor

Post by Vapor »

hockeyfan893 wrote:Word is Hill-Murray will be losing two. Still waiting for official confirmation.
Guentzel & Heinrich ???
The Exiled One

Post by The Exiled One »

karl(east) wrote:This article seems to suggest Jake Bischoff of Grand Rapids is leaving early...any truth to that? http://www.duluthnewstribune.com/event/ ... up/sports/
MNHockeyHub wrote:Bischoff, a 6-foot, 180-pound defenseman who has committed to play at Minnesota, was selected in the seventh round (185th overall) by the New York Islanders. He is expected to play his senior season with the Indians starting in the fall.
http://www.mnhockeyhub.com/news_article/show/155585