Section 1A

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

OU812

Red Wing v Mankato West

Post by OU812 »

West has been the most up and down team in the section lately. A good question might be: Which Scarlet team is going to show up tonight - the team that lost to Winona 3-2, or the one that beat Owatonna by five goals last week? Red Wing has been far more consistent, and is at home.
scarlethockey33

Re: Red Wing v Mankato West

Post by scarlethockey33 »

OU812 wrote:West has been the most up and down team in the section lately. A good question might be: Which Scarlet team is going to show up tonight - the team that lost to Winona 3-2, or the one that beat Owatonna by five goals last week? Red Wing has been far more consistent, and is at home.
Totally agree, a little jekyll and hyde impersonation from Mankato West.

Went 2 for 4 on Tuesday, let's see if I can get any other ones right here...

Predictions for February 23, 2011, Section Quarterfinals

#1 Rochester Lourdes beats #8 Faribault with a score of 8-0
#2 New Prague will triumphant over #7 Albert Lea in a close one, 4-2
#3 Northfield over #6 L-H/SP, 5-3 (Empty Net)
#5 Mankato West defeats #4 Red Wing in a replay of last years' 1A quarterfinal, 3-2
"Once a Scarlet, Always a Scarlet"
urban iceman

Post by urban iceman »

Roy01 wrote:
urban iceman wrote:If Joe Morris has a good game, NP should win. If not, Albert Lea could upset the Trojans! They rely WAY to much on their top line to win games for them as I have noticed lately. If the defense is challenged, they have a little quit to them, not all, just a couple of them! They need to spread the duties around more like they did when they beat Chan the second time. Then the top line will stay fresh for the 3rd period.

I believe LSHSP can beat Northfield if they contain Scofield and Morsching!
Red Wing will take care of MW, they are playing very good hockey right now, HOT GOALIE!!

Lourdes will wait for the Wingers.
I don't mean to sound critical but a "hot goalie" qualifies as playing a good game against New Prague? In the final few weeks of the season Red Wing had given up 19 goals in their last 5 games. Granted that was against some better competition, but still, aside from the New Prague game, goaltending wasn't really a cog recently playing into much of any win recently...
Fair Enough!
Chalk_Talk

Post by Chalk_Talk »

Northfield 3
St pet/les 2
Final
Chalk_Talk

Post by Chalk_Talk »

New Prague 1
Albert Lea 1
Going intoo 2nd ot
Gretzky9

Post by Gretzky9 »

Chalk_Talk wrote:Northfield 3
St pet/les 2
Final
Went over to this game. What a great game. Momentum shifts back and forth. Two really even teams playing really hard. Too bad the winning goal came off a centering pass that deflected past Amsden off a LS/SP defender stick. Went right down to the wire. Love games like this.
jackstraw

al/np

Post by jackstraw »

Albert Lea wins 2 to 1 in 3 ot
Roy01

Post by Roy01 »

Red Wing beats West
4-0
Nucklepuck

Post by Nucklepuck »

People from this section always seem underestimate RW and AL. IMO both of these teams always play above their expectations come sections.
The Red Wing lourdes game might be closer then most expect. It might be Red Wings year to knock them off.
I am surprised by the NF game but a win is a win. AL will put up a fight but i personally think NF will come out on top.
Great semi match ups
scarlethockey33

Went to the Red Wing/Mankato West game tonight. Pretty good game overall, the game was close in play although the score might say differently. Two killers at the end of a pretty otherwise back and forth 1st period. First goal came off a tipped shot, into the top corner, no goalie would've been able to save that one. Second goal came off a shot through a screen. Third goal looked like it came off a redirect into the backdoor. Disputed to have been kicked in but still counted regardless. Fourth goal was an empty net.

Overall an interesting game, Red Wing really took control of the game when West had to serve a 5 on 3 for practically 5 minutes (about 20 second difference) Although I did think momentum was going to shift towards West and we were going to see a surge back after killing 5 minutes of 5 on 3. Blaney looked shaky early, but fell into a groove as the game progressed. Close calls with what looked like a goal line save on Erickson and then a bouncy puck almost fell through his butterfly off a dump. Red Wing really challenged Fox tonight with redirects, screens and tips

A couple of questionable penalty calls, sometimes seemed like the game was more West vs. the Referees. West must have accumulated at least a periods worth of penalties, definitely was the difference in the game. Although West killed all but one penalty, the powerplay got the Wingers into control of the game, the players get to work the puck around, and produce offense flow.

Great season for the Scarlets, and it's been real fun chatting up 1A this season. Best of luck for the remaining teams, I hope the winner of 1A represents the South well!
Roy01

Post by Roy01 »

scarlethockey33 wrote:Went to the Red Wing/Mankato West game tonight. Pretty good game overall, the game was close in play although the score might say differently. Two killers at the end of a pretty otherwise back and forth 1st period. First goal came off a tipped shot, into the top corner, no goalie would've been able to save that one. Second goal came off a shot through a screen. Third goal looked like it came off a redirect into the backdoor. Disputed to have been kicked in but still counted regardless. Fourth goal was an empty net.

Overall an interesting game, Red Wing really took control of the game when West had to serve a 5 on 3 for practically 5 minutes (about 20 second difference) Although I did think momentum was going to shift towards West and we were going to see a surge back after killing 5 minutes of 5 on 3. Blaney looked shaky early, but fell into a groove as the game progressed. Close calls with what looked like a goal line save on Erickson and then a bouncy puck almost fell through his butterfly off a dump. Red Wing really challenged Fox tonight with redirects, screens and tips

A couple of questionable penalty calls, sometimes seemed like the game was more West vs. the Referees. West must have accumulated at least a periods worth of penalties, definitely was the difference in the game. Although West killed all but one penalty, the powerplay got the Wingers into control of the game, the players get to work the puck around, and produce offense flow.

Great season for the Scarlets, and it's been real fun chatting up 1A this season. Best of luck for the remaining teams, I hope the winner of 1A represents the South well!
From what I heard I believe the penalties were 9 for West and 2 for Red Wing..? (Someone could check me on that one, I'm not sure) It's difficult to find any sort of groove while you're in the box for that long... Either way, I was surprised to see such a heaviness on the penalties for West and not a few more calls going against Red Wing considering they play a pretty physical game. (Red Wing rule of thumb is "30+ hits a game") I was thinking West could have pulled an upset on this one, but as in recent years it seems to be "destined" for Red Wing and Lourdes to play. Congrats to West on a great season as well.
AL Captain

AL New Prague game

Post by AL Captain »

AL played hard for three periods and at many times were outplayed by NP but NP couldn't get the puck past AL's goalie he played very solid it was an exciting game
Roy01

Post by Roy01 »

Final
Rochester Lourdes 5 - Red Wing 3

Congrats to the Wingers on an excellent season.
notenoughhockey

Lourdes vs Redwing

Post by notenoughhockey »

Great game to watch, thought the Wingers played a great game. Their goalie did a great job. 2 empty netters.
Roy01

Re: Lourdes vs Redwing

Post by Roy01 »

notenoughhockey wrote:Great game to watch, thought the Wingers played a great game. Their goalie did a great job. 2 empty netters.
Didn't happen to see the game, but did my best to follow it closely. I was cheering for the team with purple :wink:
scarlethockey33

notenoughhockey wrote:Great game to watch, thought the Wingers played a great game. Their goalie did a great job. 2 empty netters.
Did Red Wing score once with the 6 on 5 advantage?
notenoughhockey

Post by notenoughhockey »

Great game to watch, thought the Wingers played a great game. Their goalie did a great job. 2 empty netters.

Did Red Wing score once with the 6 on 5 advantage?

Yes with about 1:45 remaining to make it 4-3.
Washed Up Alum 181

Post by Washed Up Alum 181 »

Northfield and Albert Lea puck about to drop
Washed Up Alum 181

AL up 1-0 midway through 1st
Washed Up Alum 181

Scofiled ties it 1-1 with on the PP with 21 seconds left. Now the first intermission. Sounds back n forth so far
Washed Up Alum 181

Northfield 3-1
Washed Up Alum 181

Northfield 5
Albert Lea 1 FINAL

Scofield with a hat trick. 1st period was close, but after that it sounded like the Raiders had the majority of the scoring chances. Northfield advances to section final to face Lourdes for a chance at a trip to the state tourney for first time in school history.

Any thoughts if Northfield stands a chance at the upset over Lourdes?
Roy01

Post by Roy01 »

Washed Up Alum 181 wrote:Northfield 5
Albert Lea 1 FINAL

Scofield with a hat trick. 1st period was close, but after that it sounded like the Raiders had the majority of the scoring chances. Northfield advances to section final to face Lourdes for a chance at a trip to the state tourney for first time in school history.

Any thoughts if Northfield stands a chance at the upset over Lourdes?
I thought Northfield had played Red Wing back in the mid 90's either 2 or 3 times in the final?
Regardless, if Scolfield can have another big game and they keep the shots off Tjaden an upset is possible. It'll take a huge commitment though..
Washed Up Alum 181

Northfield lost Red Wing in the early 90's I believe? correct me if im wrong. But this is Northfield's first section title appearence for about 8-10 years. Could they pull of an upset?
Roy01

Post by Roy01 »

Washed Up Alum 181 wrote:Northfield lost Red Wing in the early 90's I believe? correct me if im wrong. But this is Northfield's first section title appearence for about 8-10 years. Could they pull of an upset?
I believe they could pull an upset, yes (with the way sections have gone around the state, any upset is possible). They'd need a strong game from the Scolfield line and a huge game from Tjaden... Otherwise it's a no go. Lourdes speed is a tough thing to match/slow down without a physical presence being brought. What may be most important in this game is the fact that many of the Lourdes players have the experience of playing in a section final before, whereas (obviously) the Northfield players do not. I expect Bryce to prep his boys from his own experiences back in Red Wing. Plus, it's Lourdes in Rochester - I expect a good crowd from Northfield, but it's home ice for the boys in purple.
The match-up is a surprise for me, but it could be a great game if Northfield comes to play.