Hill Murray Pioneers

Discussion of Minnesota Girls High School Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

joehockey

Post by joehockey »

Great spread of age across this roster. Seniors 5, Juniors 3, Sophomore 3, Freshman 3, 8th 3

Varsity Roster
# Name Pos Grade
21 Jenny Magill D 12
3 Mikayla Curtis D 12
14 Sydney Fabian D 12
16 Hannah Brandt F 12
15 Tory Heller F 12
12 Brittney Cusick F 11
22 Paige Freeberg F 11
30 Alexys Woodward G 11
9 Brittney Anderson D 10
13 Samantha Boyer D 10
7 Sarah Bobrowski F 10
8 Kennedy Houge D 9
5 Jessica Bonfe F 9
1 Leah Patrick G 9
6 Jac Kaasa F 8
18 Kate Smith F 8
19 Kenzie Prater F 8
iceage

Post by iceage »

joehockey wrote:Great spread of age across this roster. Seniors 5, Juniors 3, Sophomore 3, Freshman 3, 8th 3

Varsity Roster
# Name Pos Grade
21 Jenny Magill D 12
3 Mikayla Curtis D 12
14 Sydney Fabian D 12
16 Hannah Brandt F 12
15 Tory Heller F 12
12 Brittney Cusick F 11
22 Paige Freeberg F 11
30 Alexys Woodward G 11
9 Brittney Anderson D 10
13 Samantha Boyer D 10
7 Sarah Bobrowski F 10
8 Kennedy Houge D 9
5 Jessica Bonfe F 9
1 Leah Patrick G 9
6 Jac Kaasa F 8
18 Kate Smith F 8
19 Kenzie Prater F 8
Saw HM in Duluth. Lines are more balanced this year then in the past. I was told that they are not skating or dressing a 4th line this year. Goal is untested at high school level.
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

iceage wrote:Saw HM in Duluth. Lines are more balanced this year then in the past.
If the lines are more balanced than in the past they must have moved Hannah Brandt back to defense! :wink:
Silent But Deadly

Post by Silent But Deadly »

iceage wrote:Goal is untested at high school level.
I watched the "older" goalie over the summer...she's tested and ready to go!
observer

Post by observer »

Has she been at HM since 9th grade or will she have to play JV as a transfer?
hockeyfan87

Post by hockeyfan87 »

observer wrote:Has she been at HM since 9th grade or will she have to play JV as a transfer?
If you are talking about their Jr. Goaltender, she played there last year on their JV team. She is ready for the High School Level. Played well at the U19 AAA level last summer. She looked good in the HSE II League this Fall.
Homer

Post by Homer »

nice start, 3-1 with a tough schedule to start the season.
& the jr. goalie is 3-0
Sparlimb

Post by Sparlimb »

Homer wrote:nice start, 3-1 with a tough schedule to start the season.
& the jr. goalie is 3-0
I've heard that goaltending still si the biggest unknown with this team. The rest of the team seems ready to compete and they do have a competent defense, but suspect goaltending can rear its ugly head at the worst of times. Luckily they've got the entire season to find the right girl.
joehockey

Post by joehockey »

Nice KRACH ranking - big test up North this weekend - if they win 2 you gotta believe!
HSRef77

Post by HSRef77 »

joehockey wrote:Nice KRACH ranking - big test up North this weekend - if they win 2 you gotta believe!
It's easy to believe with Ms. Brandt on your team......she is carrying them right now.
Sparlimb

Post by Sparlimb »

HSRef77 wrote:
joehockey wrote:Nice KRACH ranking - big test up North this weekend - if they win 2 you gotta believe!
It's easy to believe with Ms. Brandt on your team......she is carrying them right now.
Warroad coach on the broadcast tonight called Brandt the best 19 and under player in the world. Said a college coach told him she could start on any college team's power play right now. Big praise from an opposing coach. He also said the girl's game has progressed where one girl can't beat another good team all by herself. He followed that with saying Brandt still can...
Nostalgic Nerd

Post by Nostalgic Nerd »

So Hannah Brandt is a senior 'this' season? Just checking.
I can splash in the rink puddles!
ghshockeyfan

Post by ghshockeyfan »

Nostalgic Nerd wrote:So Hannah Brandt is a senior 'this' season? Just checking.
Finally, yes, and I saw her play (briefly) last night and she's one of the very best to play the Girls HS game IMHO. I last saw her play as a 8th or 9th grader and I thought she was amazing then... Now it's just silly how good she is :!:
hockeymannorth

Post by hockeymannorth »

Hannah Brandt wasn't good enough to carry them to a state championship so i don't get all the bragging up,maybe this year :?
hockeyheaven

Post by hockeyheaven »

hockeymannorth wrote:Hannah Brandt wasn't good enough to carry them to a state championship so i don't get all the bragging up,maybe this year :?
Wow...so much ignorance, where would one begin :roll:
HSRef77

Post by HSRef77 »

hockeymannorth wrote:Hannah Brandt wasn't good enough to carry them to a state championship so i don't get all the bragging up,maybe this year :?

Hockeymannorth, your ingorance is shining through....

Without Hannah, Hill Murray would not have gone to state last year. Depth wise, WBL, Roseville and Stillwater were all superior. I'm not knocking Hill Murray's supporting cast because they have (and had) some very good hockey players. My point is that without a player like Hannah, they wouldn't have been able to take that next step.

Spend a couple of games watching her and you will change your mind. She is easily the most "complete" player I've seen in quite a few years.
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

HSRef77 wrote:Without Hannah, Hill Murray would not have gone to state last year. Depth wise, WBL, Roseville and Stillwater were all superior. I'm not knocking Hill Murray's supporting cast because they have (and had) some very good hockey players. My point is that without a player like Hannah, they wouldn't have been able to take that next step.

Spend a couple of games watching her and you will change your mind. She is easily the most "complete" player I've seen in quite a few years.
I agree completely with this...she's outstanding and I'm sure her teammates would agree that without her HM wouldn't be nearly the same team. And with her they have the ability to beat anybody on any given night.
livin' in the 651

Post by livin' in the 651 »

MNHockeyFan wrote:I agree completely with this...she's outstanding and I'm sure her teammates would agree that without her HM wouldn't be nearly the same team. And with her they have the ability to beat anybody on any given night.
The most impressive thing to me is the way she's making her teammates better. Their win in Warroad is the perfect example of this - she did not score a goal, but registered 5 assists. If one player in the state can carry their team to a championship, she is that player. No offense to the many very talented players before her, but she is the best girls hockey player in Minnesota ever.
sinbin

Post by sinbin »

I would agree that she's the one player in the state who can win a game by herself. Even against teams with supposedly strong defenses, she's notching 3-4-5... points a game.
observer

Post by observer »

she is the best girls hockey player in Minnesota ever.
No
ghshockeyfan

Post by ghshockeyfan »

observer wrote:
she is the best girls hockey player in Minnesota ever.
No
I'd say - not yet, at best. The new coach at Lakeville South, for one, would deserve consideration as well as a handful of others IMHO. Brandt still has a lot of career in front of her. It'll be fun to watch her play these next few years at the collegiate level (and beyond?)...
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

ghshockeyfan wrote:It'll be fun to watch her play these next few years at the collegiate level (and beyond?)...
She's well on her way to "beyond" as she is the youngest player just selected to participate in USA Hockey's Womens Winter Training Camp:

http://www.usahockey.com/Template_Usaho ... &id=309588

(click on the highlighted "here" to open the roster - in MS Word format)
Sparlimb

Post by Sparlimb »

MNHockeyFan wrote:
ghshockeyfan wrote:It'll be fun to watch her play these next few years at the collegiate level (and beyond?)...
She's well on her way to "beyond" as she is the youngest player just selected to participate in USA Hockey's Womens Winter Training Camp:

http://www.usahockey.com/Template_Usaho ... &id=309588

(click on the highlighted "here" to open the roster - in MS Word format)
HM has the Kaposia classic right smack in the middle of that training camp. I wonder if she'll be given a pass to attend High School games or if she'll be expected to skip those games to practice with the big girls.
Knight7

Post by Knight7 »

Spar,

There are no passes. This is her and every kid's dream that laces up the skates. to play for her national team. HS is a backseat to that. For H-M it is a chance for them to show they are more than 1 player, that they are a team. Good luck to both. Scary thought for H-M next opponents as she will be better than when she left. After a few games she will at her old speed but will be smarter because of the experience.
Sparlimb

Post by Sparlimb »

Knight7 wrote:Spar,

There are no passes. This is her and every kid's dream that laces up the skates. to play for her national team. HS is a backseat to that. For H-M it is a chance for them to show they are more than 1 player, that they are a team. Good luck to both. Scary thought for H-M next opponents as she will be better than when she left. After a few games she will at her old speed but will be smarter because of the experience.
Oh I know it is everyone's dream and I totally understand when the boys and the girls go play in teh tourney's over christmas. But the way I read the link was this was some glorified scrimmages. I certainly look forward to seeing her and the rest of the national team compete.