Section 1A

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Chalk_Talk

Section 1A

Post by Chalk_Talk »

Thought I would get this started since there always seems to be some interesting discusstion.

Some intersting scores already!
Northfield 7 Albert Lea 2
Roch Lour 8 Red Wing 0
New Prague 1 Mankato West 1

Mankato East goalie making something like 129 saves in the last 2 games and only giving up a total of 9 goals!! Good for him

Section Prediction
#1 Roch Lourdes
#2 Mankato West
#3 New Prague
#4 Northfield
#5 Red Wing
#6 Albert Lea
#7 Faribault
#8 LeSueur
#9 Lacrescent
#10 Waseca
#11 Mankato East

This is just a shot in the dark from some scores I have seen.

Good Luck to all teams!!
hockeydad

Post by hockeydad »

You forgot Austin

Way too early to guess how it will end up, but your rankings seem close to what I would expect.
EH

Post by EH »

Albert Lea ,

Coach Nystrom said in the news that he has a ATTACK PLAN after losing his top player Eric Carlson to the NAHL JRs. :lol:

http://www.albertleatribune.com/2011/08 ... xposure-2/
Last edited by EH on Sat Dec 03, 2011 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheTweeter

Post by TheTweeter »

West 4 East 0

shots were 69-4
The Talon

Post by The Talon »

Will be interesting to see Lourdes v New Prague on Tuesday-possible Section title preview....
Chalk_Talk

Post by Chalk_Talk »

hockeydad wrote:You forgot Austin

Way too early to guess how it will end up, but your rankings seem close to what I would expect.
I did forget Austin, sorry, I will say they will be in the #10 area.

I know it is early I just wanted to try and get some section chatter going. I enjoy watching this section and hearing what each of you have to say.
scarlethockey33

Post by scarlethockey33 »

LHSP (Leseur-Henderson/St. Peter) is no longer in the section moving during the off season as well
"Once a Scarlet, Always a Scarlet"
Chalk_Talk

Post by Chalk_Talk »

scarlethockey33 wrote:LHSP (Leseur-Henderson/St. Peter) is no longer in the section moving during the off season as well
Scarlet..Not sure where you are getting your info from??....Below is from the MSHSL web site for competitive sections for 2011-2012, Hockey Hub also has them in section 1A

Hockey, Boys
Class: A
Section: 1
12 teams in this section
A Map
Administered by Region 1AA Albert Lea High School
Mankato West High School
New Prague High School
Northfield High School
Red Wing High School
Coop: 25 "Austin H.S."
Austin High School (HOST)
Austin Pacelli High School
Coop: 160 "Faribault"
Bethlehem Academy
Faribault High School (HOST)
Minnesota State Academy for the Deaf
Coop: 241 "La Crescent H.S."
Houston High School
La Crescent High School (HOST)
Coop: 245 "St. Peter/LeSueur-Hend./Le Center/Mont.-Lonsdale" Le Center High School
LeSueur-Henderson High School (HOST)
Montgomery-Lonsdale High School
Saint Peter High School
Coop: 270 "Mankato East/Loyola"
Mankato East High School (HOST)
Mankato Loyola High School
Coop: 377 "Rochester Lourdes"
Rochester Lourdes High School (HOST)
Stewartville High School
Coop: 474 "Waseca Blue Jays"
Janesville-Waldorf-Pemberton H.S.
Waseca High School (HOST)
Waterville-Elysian-Morristown H.S.
politicalpuck

Players Leaving School to Play Juniors, NAHL or Otherwise

Post by politicalpuck »

Regarding Eric Carlson, formerly of the Albert Lea Tigers, and those past and future who leave school early.

I will never understand why high school players leave their friends and classmates to get an early jump into Juniors. Playing Junior hockey and forfeiting one or two years of high school has never paid off for any player who left his high school team early, and all it causes is a lifetime of regret on the part of the player who jumped. It might be parents who are encouraging their sons to leave their friends and teammates behind. If a player is good enough for juniors at age 17, he'll be good enough at age 18.
elliott70

Re: Players Leaving School to Play Juniors, NAHL or Otherwis

Post by elliott70 »

[quote="politicalpuck"]Regarding Eric Carlson, formerly of the Albert Lea Tigers, and those past and future who leave school early.

I will never understand why high school players leave their friends and classmates to get an early jump into Juniors. Playing Junior hockey and forfeiting one or two years of high school has never paid off for any player who left his high school team early, and all it causes is a lifetime of regret on the part of the player who jumped. It might be parents who are encouraging their sons to leave their friends and teammates behind. If a player is good enough for juniors at age 17, he'll be good enough at age 18.

Not sure if NEVER is right, it is something that is hard to quanitfy, measure.
I have spoke with players and parents that think leaving was the wrong choice.
Dog_Log17

Post by Dog_Log17 »

Nice work Chalk_Talk for getting the 1A thread rolling.

I was surprised to see AL getting stomped so bad by Northfield. I expect them to bounce back and be a top 4 seed in 1A this year. I have watched both Mankato West games and I must say that I am very impressed with their sophmore crop. There are a half dozen kids that are getting alot of ice time that jumped straight to varsity from bantams last season. They all look surprisingly seasoned, not at all imtimidated ,and play with confidence. The two that really stand out in my opinion are forward #8 Zach Erickson and defence #24 Max Mettler. I think this Mankato West team will be much better than expected and be a factor the next few years in section 1A. I am looking forward to seeing them take on AL at home next Tuesday night, I am confident Nystrom will have his guys ready to battle in Mankato. 8)
scarlethockey33

Chalk_Talk wrote:
scarlethockey33 wrote:LHSP (Leseur-Henderson/St. Peter) is no longer in the section moving during the off season as well
Scarlet..Not sure where you are getting your info from??....Below is from the MSHSL web site for competitive sections for 2011-2012, Hockey Hub also has them in section 1A

Hockey, Boys
Class: A
Section: 1
12 teams in this section
A Map
Administered by Region 1AA Albert Lea High School
Mankato West High School
New Prague High School
Northfield High School
Red Wing High School
Coop: 25 "Austin H.S."
Austin High School (HOST)
Austin Pacelli High School
Coop: 160 "Faribault"
Bethlehem Academy
Faribault High School (HOST)
Minnesota State Academy for the Deaf
Coop: 241 "La Crescent H.S."
Houston High School
La Crescent High School (HOST)
Coop: 245 "St. Peter/LeSueur-Hend./Le Center/Mont.-Lonsdale" Le Center High School
LeSueur-Henderson High School (HOST)
Montgomery-Lonsdale High School
Saint Peter High School
Coop: 270 "Mankato East/Loyola"
Mankato East High School (HOST)
Mankato Loyola High School
Coop: 377 "Rochester Lourdes"
Rochester Lourdes High School (HOST)
Stewartville High School
Coop: 474 "Waseca Blue Jays"
Janesville-Waldorf-Pemberton H.S.
Waseca High School (HOST)
Waterville-Elysian-Morristown H.S.
I just remember reading the article about Holy Family opting up to AA and it included other moves between sections and such and LSH/SP was included in that being removed from 1A. Must've been a typo though :wink:
scarlethockey33

Games for Tuesday:

Albert Lea at Mankato West
Mankato East at LSH/SP
Austin at La Crescent
Northfield at Wascea
SSP at Red Wing
New Prague at Lourdes
Owatonna v. Faribault

interesting week for 1A matchups, New Prague and Lourdes is a rematch of last years section final and Albert Lea at Mankato West has been a great year the past couple of years. bolded my picks to win tomorrow

some thoughts on the season so far:

- Northfield seems like they will be a strong contender this season, Andrew Scofield might be one of the top forwards in the section along with Samuelson and Funk at Lourdes and Tjaden seems pretty solid for them right now in net

- Mankato's senior goalies Zach Fox (West) and Lucas Weihe (East) are vital to their team's success
- Fox for West had some game saving saves vs. New Prague last Tuesday to keep it a 1-1 tie game. It's a young squad in Mankato West, but if Fox can continue his solid play in net, Mankato West can steal some wins while trying to find their scoring punch
- Weihe for East has maybe stopped more pucks than any goalie in the state this season two 60+ save games along with a 32 save game another rebuilding year for East it seems like, but with Weihe in net I feel that he can keep them in games that they otherwise wouldn't be in.
Dog_Log17

Post by Dog_Log17 »

Here is a great article that details the book to be released next month about the 94/95 Mankato West Scarlet Hockey team. I expect this will be a must read for southern MN hockey fans.

http://www.wisconsinprephockey.net/news ... _id=177393
MavHockey14

Post by MavHockey14 »

Dog_Log17 wrote:Here is a great article that details the book to be released next month about the 94/95 Mankato West Scarlet Hockey team. I expect this will be a must read for southern MN hockey fans.

This is so awesome in so many ways.

I'll take West tonight 4-1 over Albert Lea.
Dog_Log17

Post by Dog_Log17 »

I got the Scarlets winning 3-0 over AL tonight.

MavHockey14 wrote:
Dog_Log17 wrote:Here is a great article that details the book to be released next month about the 94/95 Mankato West Scarlet Hockey team. I expect this will be a must read for southern MN hockey fans.

MavHockey14

Post by MavHockey14 »

Also I'll take Lourdes 4-2.
davey

Post by davey »

Dog_Log17 wrote:I got the Scarlets winning 3-0 over AL tonight.

MavHockey14 wrote:

Might be a different prediction had Eric Carlson not abandoned his teammates and friends to try to jump start his hockey career by heading to the frozen tundra of Fairbanks in the NAHL :wink: :wink: :roll:
MavHockey14

Post by MavHockey14 »

davey wrote:
Dog_Log17 wrote:I got the Scarlets winning 3-0 over AL tonight.

MavHockey14 wrote: This is so awesome in so many ways.

Might be a different prediction had Eric Carlson not abandoned his teammates and friends to try to jump start his hockey career by heading to the frozen tundra of Fairbanks in the NAHL :wink: :wink: :roll:
A little bit of love for Albert Lea, eh davey?;)
Dog_Log17

Post by Dog_Log17 »

I say Lourdes 6-2 win tonight.

MavHockey14 wrote:Also I'll take Lourdes 4-2.
The X

Post by The X »

Good hockey game tonight between New Prague and Lourdes in Rochester. New Prague was leading 3-2 in the 3rd period and then came the penalty calls. 3 powerplay goals later and well, Lourdes wins. I just wish the Referees would let the kids decide the game one time down there. It looked just like the finals last year in Rochester, oh and the referee was the same guy also. Go figure. :roll: Final score was 5-3.
notenoughhockey

Lourdes vs New Prague

Post by notenoughhockey »

Lourdes gave up a short handed goal and I am pretty sure Lourdes had a few guys in the box including Farrell twice. New Prague just didn't get the puck in the net when they had the opportunity, (Neumann did a good job in the net) and the Eagles played a good game. Fun to watch!
The X

Re: Lourdes vs New Prague

Post by The X »

notenoughhockey wrote:Lourdes gave up a short handed goal and I am pretty sure Lourdes had a few guys in the box including Farrell twice. New Prague just didn't get the puck in the net when they had the opportunity, (Neumann did a good job in the net) and the Eagles played a good game. Fun to watch!
It was a great game and New Prague definately should have buried several pucks. The only problem was the two penalties called on NP in the last 5 minutes of the 3rd. Goal #4 and 5.
notenoughhockey

Post by notenoughhockey »

Howie wrote:
notenoughhockey wrote:Lourdes gave up a short handed goal and I am pretty sure Lourdes had a few guys in the box including Farrell twice. New Prague just didn't get the puck in the net when they had the opportunity, (Neumann did a good job in the net) and the Eagles played a good game. Fun to watch!
It was a great game and New Prague definately should have buried several pucks. The only problem was the two penalties called on NP in the last 5 minutes of the 3rd. Goal #4 and 5.
Hopefully we get to see them play each other again.
hockeydad

Post by hockeydad »

notenoughhockey wrote:
Howie wrote:
Hopefully we get to see them play each other again.
Round 2, Saturday, Feb. 11, in New Prague.
This is either the third or fourth year the two teams have played twice. during the regular season. Most games have been close.