whats NWC

Discussion of Minnesota Girls Youth Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, karl(east)

puckeyone

whats NWC

Post by puckeyone »

I have looked all over and cannot find NWC, someone says its a triple A team out by St Micheal.Who all gets to try out on it? What District are they in?
greybeard58

Post by greybeard58 »

North Wright County better known as St Micheal/Albertville District 5 not a AAA team
clutterbucket

Post by clutterbucket »

North Wright County is sneaky big. They are a combination of St. Micheal-Albertville, Monticello, and Annadale.

Both St. Michael and Monticello are AA high schools, while Annadale is A in terms of enrollment numbers. If you take the enrollment of these 3 high schools (grade 9-12) added together (2,899), they are bigger than either Edina (2,436) or Minnetonka (2,750), and are about 100 students smaller than Wayzata (3,060) or Eden Prairie (3,007).
puckeyone

Post by puckeyone »

dont those two associations have enough top field their own teams, why combine, sound like just taking the best from an area to me, so much for community based, maybe the boys should do this also, bet that wouldnt go good
Puck Hog

Post by Puck Hog »

They also pull from Becker/Big Lake
hockeyfan87

Post by hockeyfan87 »

puckeyone wrote:dont those two associations have enough top field their own teams, why combine, sound like just taking the best from an area to me, so much for community based, maybe the boys should do this also, bet that wouldnt go good
My guess is that they combine on the girls side so that they can field two teams at a level, an "A" and a "B" so that the girls can play the level which their skill dictates...only a guess since I am not from NWC.
36Guy

Post by 36Guy »

Ok..I am from NWC so I will fill you in on our huge metropolis. We are Stma, Monticello and Annandale. The Big Lake girls are at Buffalo and Elk River. The total population of all Stma and Monti are 37,000 people. We have 2 girls in our entire program from Annandale. 75% of all the girls on every team are from St. Michael and Albertville and if you have ever been here don't blink or you'll miss it. I know we have the Outlet Mall...actually we don't that is all Elk River School district. Most girls team are co-ops, unless you actually think Centennial is a town?? Osseo/Maple Grove, Chaska/Chan, Rosemount/Eastview, North Metro, Anoka/Ramsey, Champlin/Brooklyn Park, Elk River/Big Lake, Buffolo/Delano/Rockford, Spring Lake Park/Coon Rapids, Tartan/N. St. Paul, Highland Park, St. Louis Park/Minneapolis....Ok I am tired of typing. Really??? Other populations: EP 70,000, OMG 70,000, Edina 47,000, Minnetonka 51,000. We are a co-op so the Monti and Annandale girls have an option to enjoy hockey. They do not have enough to field teams.
renegade 68

Post by renegade 68 »

36Guy wrote:Ok..I am from NWC so I will fill you in on our huge metropolis. We are Stma, Monticello and Annandale. The Big Lake girls are at Buffalo and Elk River. The total population of all Stma and Monti are 37,000 people. We have 2 girls in our entire program from Annandale. 75% of all the girls on every team are from St. Michael and Albertville and if you have ever been here don't blink or you'll miss it. I know we have the Outlet Mall...actually we don't that is all Elk River School district. Most girls team are co-ops, unless you actually think Centennial is a town?? Osseo/Maple Grove, Chaska/Chan, Rosemount/Eastview, North Metro, Anoka/Ramsey, Champlin/Brooklyn Park, Elk River/Big Lake, Buffolo/Delano/Rockford, Spring Lake Park/Coon Rapids, Tartan/N. St. Paul, Highland Park, St. Louis Park/Minneapolis....Ok I am tired of typing. Really??? Other populations: EP 70,000, OMG 70,000, Edina 47,000, Minnetonka 51,000. We are a co-op so the Monti and Annandale girls have an option to enjoy hockey. They do not have enough to field teams.
Umm... Big Lake plays for the NWC River Hawks not Elk River.
knights58

ummmmm

Post by knights58 »

umm..big lake does not play for NWC. They had a few girls that were going to play with us this year, but they did not. Last year, they did play for Elk River.

Also, Centennial is a co-op this year as well..at least the 14UA level as they merged with Blaine. That's a heck of a co-op!
The Bone

Post by The Bone »

Becker/Big Lake Girls:
Since the 2010-11 Season, the youth girls from the Becker/Big Lake Association play with North Wright County if they choose to play girls hockey.

At the high school level, The Becker & Big Lake School Districts do not offer Girls HS Teams nor do they have any Coop agreements with NWC or any other Girls HS Team. If girls from the Becker or Big Lake School Districts want to play Girls HS hockey, they currently must open enroll to another school district.

North Wright County River Hawks
** This team is a cooperative sponsorship between: Annandale High School, Monticello High School, Saint Michael-Albertville H.S.,
knights58

wrong

Post by knights58 »

I coach in NWC and have for 6 years...Becker Big Lake girls did NOT play in our association last year. If they do this year, they DO NOT at the 14UA level as there were three that signed up this year but were sent away...I believe to Buffalo. I'm not sure where the info is coming from that they played with us in 2010-2011..but its wrong.
The Bone

Post by The Bone »

I will not name names, but I am very aware of several Becker/Big Lake Girls that played with NWC U10 & U12 Teams last season and many particiapte again again this season.
Do not mean to argue in any way - but you have B/BL girls on NWC Teams!
knights58

ok

Post by knights58 »

I may just be familiar with 14u then...I know their girls played for ER..not NWC last year and this year they are with Buff...
The Bone

Post by The Bone »

No B/BL assoc. 14U kids played in ER last season. Actually no one played 14U in Elk River last season, ER did not field a 14U Team.
eagles42

NWC

Post by eagles42 »

I am a parent of a Becker/Big Lake daughter and BBL is a very small association without a home rink, so in order to provide our players with the best opportunities to play at levels commiserate with their ability, we co-op with other associations within our district at some levels. We don't have near enough girls to make teams at any level, so each year we seek to co-op with another local association so our girls have a place to play. Up until the 2010-2011 season, BBL was in District 10, so our girls co-opped with Elk River, which is also in district 10. In the summer of 2010, MN Hockey moved BBL to District 5, and since MN Hockey rules do not allow associations to co-op across district lines, we could no longer co-op with ER. Our hockey board had to search within district 5 for a co-op partner to allow our girls to play, and the STMA board extended the invitation for our girls to play with the Riverhawks. So, for the past two years (2010-11 and this year), our U10 and U12 girls have played with NWC. We did have 2 U14 girls this year as well, but NWC's numbers were such that they did not have space for them on their U14 team, so they had the option to play for any D5 team that had room for them. Our agreement with NWC goes from year to year, and is at the youth levels only. If BBL girls wish to continue playing hockey in high school, they need to open enroll at a school that offers girls hockey. As you can imagine, it is tough on our girl hockey players to not have the permanent home that other players in larger associations enjoy. Our girls have been welcomed and accepted by STMA/NWC youth hockey for the past two years, and we as hockey parents are certainly grateful for that!
Lace'emUp

Re: NWC

Post by Lace'emUp »

eagles42 wrote:In the summer of 2010, MN Hockey moved BBL to District 5, and since MN Hockey rules do not allow associations to co-op across district lines, we could no longer co-op with ER.
FYI - Andover and Forest Lake are co-op'ing at the 12UA level this year. Andover is in D10; Forest Lake is in D2. Thus, either the Andover/FL co-op is illegal, or you could have continued your co-op with ER. My guess is that it was a year-to-year decision that terminated the co-op with ER.

By the way, am I the only person who thinks the Andover/FL 12UA co-op is an odd relationship? Again, they only co-op at 12UA level, and not at the entire level (they each have separate 12UB teams). The team is based out of Andover, and they play all their games in D10. Should two associations be allowed to cross district lines to form only an A-team? How do other D10 teams feel about Andover obtaining FL’s top players? How would the D2 teams feel if it was a reverse situation? (if the A-team was based in FL and not Andover)
36Guy

Post by 36Guy »

Bone...like most, you are not looking to get educated, you are looking for an argument. NWC is Annandale, Stma and Monti. Big Lake is a "floating" program that individuals play where numbers are needed. This year at 14U there are 0 playing for NWC, 2 for Buffalo, 2 for Elk River and 1 for Sauk Rapids. If you choose to argue, come on over, we will get in my car, drive to their practice and I will tap them on the head for you to point them out. I know every one of them. The have a couple at NWC younger programs as numbers were needed. NWC, like other associations will give these girls a place to play hockey if our numbers allow it. However, if our 12U team has 15 skaters, we will not take 3 Big Lake girls to get to 18 skaters. Also, Big Lake does not participate with NWC at the high school level. Again, most girls programs are co-ops by towns or high schools. Duluth has 4 high schools and Rochester has 3 yet they all play for the same youth program. It is top secret but I will give you the formula for forming a girls youth program..Here you go:

Total number of players/towns (between 1 and 8) to form a team(x) + jerseys(y) + (z) name = (x+y+z) Team. Should (xyz) = less than 10 (x) or more than 18 (x), they may reach out to other towns so these young girls can play hockey.
woogieboogiewoogie

Post by woogieboogiewoogie »

The NWC 10u B coach last season was from Big Lake. Bone and Knight58 learn your facts it makes us look bad. LOL :P Just messing with ya.
Also there was a girl from Big Lake at Captains practice this year but she decided not to play.
InigoMontoya

Post by InigoMontoya »

36Guy wrote:Bone...like most, you are not looking to get educated, you are looking for an argument. NWC is Annandale, Stma and Monti. Big Lake is a "floating" program that individuals play where numbers are needed. This year at 14U there are 0 playing for NWC, 2 for Buffalo, 2 for Elk River and 1 for Sauk Rapids. If you choose to argue, come on over, we will get in my car, drive to their practice and I will tap them on the head for you to point them out. I know every one of them. The have a couple at NWC younger programs as numbers were needed. NWC, like other associations will give these girls a place to play hockey if our numbers allow it. However, if our 12U team has 15 skaters, we will not take 3 Big Lake girls to get to 18 skaters. Also, Big Lake does not participate with NWC at the high school level. Again, most girls programs are co-ops by towns or high schools. Duluth has 4 high schools and Rochester has 3 yet they all play for the same youth program. It is top secret but I will give you the formula for forming a girls youth program..Here you go:

Total number of players/towns (between 1 and 8) to form a team(x) + jerseys(y) + (z) name = (x+y+z) Team. Should (xyz) = less than 10 (x) or more than 18 (x), they may reach out to other towns so these young girls can play hockey.
It doesn't look like anyone is looking for an argument but you. Bone said B/BL girls played for NWC last year and are again this year; based on comments from eagles, renegade, and wbw, it seems he is correct. But you're going to take him for a car ride? Leave the gun, take the cannoli.