Mario Lucia

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Tigers33

Post by Tigers33 »

Mulefarm loves to argue and I am sure he has lived a perfect life. Well the team Mario is playing on has 3 other Minnesotans going to the WCHA. I understand one of the brothers is not very good, but from what I hear Mikey is a stud. So, Mike and Mario will be playing on the same team.

I am also a believer that this will make him more mature then anything. I am sure if the Wild didnt want him to go there they might also give their two cents to the situation.
LetsPlayHockey22

Post by LetsPlayHockey22 »

Tigers33 wrote:Mulefarm loves to argue and I am sure he has lived a perfect life. Well the team Mario is playing on has 3 other Minnesotans going to the WCHA. I understand one of the brothers is not very good, but from what I hear Mikey is a stud. So, Mike and Mario will be playing on the same team.

I am also a believer that this will make him more mature then anything. I am sure if the Wild didnt want him to go there they might also give their two cents to the situation.
Also the Benik kid, going to St. Cloud

Post by 019 »

Looks like Steven Fogarty from Edina is also going to Penticton.
BBB

Post by BBB »

Kids go to Tier II in Canada to either keep their NCAA eligibility or hopefully move up to the CHL. I think it's why you have the big names as alumni because they had to play in a lower level league to be able to play college. That along with a probably not as much depth as a USHL team is why guys like Kyle Turris can score like 16, 17 points per game. He had like 275 pts in his two seasons that would have been his 11th and 12th grade season. I don't think it's possibly to do anything even close to that in the USHL.
Lucia is already drafted so I would consider this past year to be like his sr year from a development stage. He is going in as an 18yr old...Turris and a lot of those guys go in as 16 year olds. I don't think Lucia will have any problem putting up 60-70 points out there.
Didn't Benik get cut from USHL teams and he scores 60 some points out there? Correct me if I am wrong on that one. Maybe lucia is capable of a 100 pt year. I am suprised that so many MN's support this move but didn't like the idea of Rau leaving for the USHL. Maybe we will feel better about a player who would have been our Mr Hockey scoring 90 points in some canadian league vs 30-40 points in the USHL.
It's tough to compare canadian and US jr leagues. I know when Ann Arbor started they played a USHL and OHL schedule. They were undefeated in the OHL and from the sounds of it, the games were a little hairy because the Canada teams wanted nothing more than to go after a bunch of 17 year old American kids. Against the USHL teams they were only .500.
Ann Arbor is still a .500 team in the USHL and just about every one of their players has a choice of big time Div I programs to choose from. Big deal if St. Cloud and some of those teams grab some top end talent from the BCHL.
The NAHL has an impressive NHL alumni list too...so what? Does that indicate what the overall talent is on each team or what the top to bottom teams are like?
Omaha, who is partially owned by Mario Lemieux, went up and played Patrick Roys QMJHL team and beat them 6-0 in Quebec.
When I played in the Gold Cup (Way back around the turn of the century) another USHL team who hosted the tourney had like a 3 week break because they didn't advance in the playoff and the BCHL host had the same situation so they flew down for a two game series just to play an actual game. I think the scores were like 8-0 and 10-1 in favor of the ushl or something real close to that. Maybe the league has got a lot better?
BBB

Post by BBB »

Well the team Mario is playing on has 3 other Minnesotans going to the WCHA. I understand one of the brothers is not very good, but from what I hear Mikey is a stud.
my bet is the one who is not very good plays on a PP at Penticton and scores over 40 points...time will tell.
LetsPlayHockey22

Post by LetsPlayHockey22 »

BBB wrote:Kids go to Tier II in Canada to either keep their NCAA eligibility or hopefully move up to the CHL. I think it's why you have the big names as alumni because they had to play in a lower level league to be able to play college. That along with a probably not as much depth as a USHL team is why guys like Kyle Turris can score like 16, 17 points per game. He had like 275 pts in his two seasons that would have been his 11th and 12th grade season. I don't think it's possibly to do anything even close to that in the USHL.
Lucia is already drafted so I would consider this past year to be like his sr year from a development stage. He is going in as an 18yr old...Turris and a lot of those guys go in as 16 year olds. I don't think Lucia will have any problem putting up 60-70 points out there.
Didn't Benik get cut from USHL teams and he scores 60 some points out there? Correct me if I am wrong on that one. Maybe lucia is capable of a 100 pt year. I am suprised that so many MN's support this move but didn't like the idea of Rau leaving for the USHL. Maybe we will feel better about a player who would have been our Mr Hockey scoring 90 points in some canadian league vs 30-40 points in the USHL.
It's tough to compare canadian and US jr leagues. I know when Ann Arbor started they played a USHL and OHL schedule. They were undefeated in the OHL and from the sounds of it, the games were a little hairy because the Canada teams wanted nothing more than to go after a bunch of 17 year old American kids. Against the USHL teams they were only .500.
Ann Arbor is still a .500 team in the USHL and just about every one of their players has a choice of big time Div I programs to choose from. Big deal if St. Cloud and some of those teams grab some top end talent from the BCHL.
The NAHL has an impressive NHL alumni list too...so what? Does that indicate what the overall talent is on each team or what the top to bottom teams are like?
Omaha, who is partially owned by Mario Lemieux, went up and played Patrick Roys QMJHL team and beat them 6-0 in Quebec.
When I played in the Gold Cup (Way back around the turn of the century) another USHL team who hosted the tourney had like a 3 week break because they didn't advance in the playoff and the BCHL host had the same situation so they flew down for a two game series just to play an actual game. I think the scores were like 8-0 and 10-1 in favor of the ushl or something real close to that. Maybe the league has got a lot better?
Benik didn't tryout for any USHL teams that I know of, he was drafted by Fargo and CHOSE to play BCHL
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

Congrats to Mario on scoring a goal in today's Wild Development Camp scrimmage.
mulefarm

Post by mulefarm »

Why aren't people upset with Lucia leaving high school and all his buddies. When Rau was going to leave, it was big news and people were bashing him (and other players who left) and junior hockey. What has changed the minds of all the high school supporters?
mclovinu

mario lucia

Post by mclovinu »

Your question is "why isn't anyone bashing Mario for his decision to leave High School Hockey" My question is why would you bash any kid who makes the decision that is right for himself to try and further his hockey career and get closer to reaching his dream whether it is D1 or NHL. Minnesota High School Hockey is great and going strong and will continue to with or without these kids. I think some of you on this board should be careful on what you say, when your son is a sophomore or a junior you are angry at the kids that leave because of what it will do for YOUR son's team the following year, but guess what your son may be in that position and it is amazing to me how when this happens you become a full supporter of leaving. Don't bash these kids support them they are young and trying to go after their dreams!!! :twisted:
Tigers33

Post by Tigers33 »

I dont bash kids that early that are ready to make the jump. Let me ask you this, how many leave early that arent ready? How many leave early that widdle away? How many leave early that may of been better of putting up big numbers in HS, developing leadership skills, and enjoying their life? How many people tell kids they are better then they really are? How many "advisors" tell kids to leave early hoping they can represent them one day?

I think the easy way is to leave. Heck if kids are chasing their dream then they all might as well leave. I think it takes a lot for a kid like to Rau to stay in high school after everything he accomplsihed. I would have liked to see Lucia stay to try to get his team to the state tournament. He might grow more as a person if he would have chosen that route.

My belief: Play 4 years of high school. Then go play juniors for a year or two if necessary. Most kids are not ready no matter where they play when they come into D1 at the age of 18-19 anyways.
Toomuchtoosoon

Post by Toomuchtoosoon »

Why aren't people upset with Lucia leaving high school and all his buddies. When Rau was going to leave, it was big news and people were bashing him (and other players who left) and junior hockey. What has changed the minds of all the high school supporters?
It is a little different-Mario is an August B-day and it looks like his parents delayed his start into school. Lucia could have been a senior last year if he started school in time. Due to the age, I think moving to a higher level may be the best thing. The other thing with Rau is that they had a state championship caliber team if he returned, Wayzata most likely will be outside looking in even if Mario stayed.
BBB

Post by BBB »

I think moving to a higher level may be the best thing.
That's assuming the BCHL is a higher level than Wayzatas conference/section/possible state tournament; wait. I take the state tournament part back.
MN HS vs the BCHL probably is a more rational argument than the USHL vs BCHL.
mulefarm

Post by mulefarm »

He's going to miss homecoming, winter dance and prom. Those are things he can never get back. I believe the bantam teams he was on won the state or finished high, how can he leave his buddies?
dumbpuck

Post by dumbpuck »

Perhaps he wants to go play in Canada- How about that crazy option.

Maybe he doesnt like dancing?

I don't know him but for some reason I was thinking- what if he is doing something he wants to do and maybe prom is not his priority!!

We are all a little different than each other!
mulefarm

Post by mulefarm »

dumbpuck wrote:Perhaps he wants to go play in Canada- How about that crazy option.

I don't know him but for some reason I was thinking- what if he is doing something he wants to do and maybe prom is not his priority!!

Then why would he choose to play in a lower level league? Who says you have to like dancing?
The Best in the Bizz3

Post by The Best in the Bizz3 »

mulefarm wrote:
dumbpuck wrote:Perhaps he wants to go play in Canada- How about that crazy option.

Then why would he choose to play in a lower level league? Who says you have to like dancing?
hows this answer?

He has some friends on the BCHL team anyways. He wants to play in a more competitive league. Maybe he doesn't want to play in the USHL. Maybe Des Moines' not the place for him. Penticton is a beautiful place. I bet his billet family is great and welcoming. He has hardly any pressure right now. He can choose what he wants to do. He's a 17? year old kid. He has already been drafted and has every college team attached to him. He has time and he has confidence.

He will be fine! One day he will look back on this decision and he will make that final call whether it was a good decision or not. As for us, we shouldn't be criticizing this kid for what league he is going to play in. Hell, who cares. He has done a great deal for MN HS hockey the last couple years. He has proven his dominance. Let him get out there and experience living away from home and playing against older players. If he wants to reach his final goal of the NHL he is going to have to be good at those two things anyways. Might as well get ready for it now.
The best, period
Gopher Blog

Post by Gopher Blog »

mulefarm wrote:He's going to miss homecoming, winter dance and prom. Those are things he can never get back. I believe the bantam teams he was on won the state or finished high, how can he leave his buddies?
You mean like how some buddies from bantams went to private schools for HS?

Why do people insist on acting like every kid's decision should be the same? There is no "wrong" answer. It depends on the individual.
BBB

Post by BBB »

I bet his billet family is great and welcoming.
What makes you think that? Would they be an less great or welcoming in a USHL town?
Is he going to school up there or how does that work with his credits or do they do 13th grade sometimes up there? If so, do they have prom at the high school he will attend? How late do the BCHL playoffs go and would his coach let him miss a game to attend a dance?
mulefarm

Post by mulefarm »

Bizz3,
Lucia is a very good player, but please tell what great things he did for high school hockey? I would say Rau was a dominant player in high school, watching Lucia the last 2 yrs, I wouldn't call him dominant.
jackstraw

?

Post by jackstraw »

In Canada, it wouldn't be "13th grade", it would be "grade 13", if there was such a thing. For a guy that seems to know so much, maybe you don't?!?!?!?!
muckandgrind

Post by muckandgrind »

Man, all this venom directed at a 17 year old kid is amazing!!! Why are we questioning his decision to play hockey where he wants to play? Do we think it will affect where he plays college? No, he'll make that decision shortly (before the season, anyways). Do we think it will affect his draft position? No, he's already been drafted. Do some of us have a life? Obviously not, or we wouldn't be ripping on him for wanting to play competitive Junior hockey with his buddies.

Does it really MATTER where he plays his year of Junior hockey?? We're talking about ONE season, remember.