Mario Lucia

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

starmvp

Mario Lucia

Post by starmvp »

I heard to day it is OFFICIAL that Mario Lucia is going to Penticton next year. Good luck to him and his future!
mulefarm

Re: Mario Lucia

Post by mulefarm »

starmvp wrote:I heard to day it is OFFICIAL that Mario Lucia is going to Penticton next year. Good luck to him and his future!
I don't know why he wouldn't want to play in the USHL. Looks like he is trying to avoid the competition. May score a lot of points, but will not really help his development. He should just suck it up and play Major Jr.
wblhcky24

Post by wblhcky24 »

Just announced it on his twitter
2012 pond hockey All Star

Post by 019 »

BCHL is comparable to USHL, he will develope just fine. Playing in British Columbia would be a good experience for any 18 year old.
mulefarm

Post by mulefarm »

019 wrote:BCHL is comparable to USHL, he will develope just fine. Playing in British Columbia would be a good experience for any 18 year old.
Not even close to the USHL. Maybe the NAHL?
Gopher Blog

Post by Gopher Blog »

019 wrote:BCHL is comparable to USHL, he will develope just fine. Playing in British Columbia would be a good experience for any 18 year old.
The BCHL usually has some good players but it doesn't have the depth of talent that the USHL does. The reality is it usually comes down to how hard a kid wants to work anyway

Post by 019 »

Last year Penticton had 9-10 players commited to WCHA teams.
O-townClown

Post by O-townClown »

Once you've met a Penticton girl the rest just don't compare.

Hey wait, did I read that right? Mario Lucia has a Twitter feed?
Be kind. Rewind.
218er

Post by 218er »

starmvp wrote:I heard to day it is OFFICIAL that Mario Lucia is going to Penticton next year. Good luck to him and his future!
I like this move. The BCHL may not have the talent that the USHL has, but I bet their are some tough kids up there... I think Mario will gain a lot more experience by crossing the border and playing against some tough 20 year olds vs playing in the USHL.
mulefarm

Post by mulefarm »

218er wrote:
I like this move. The BCHL may not have the talent that the USHL has, but I bet their are some tough kids up there... I think Mario will gain a lot more experience by crossing the border and playing against some tough 20 year olds vs playing in the USHL.
Are you saying the USHL doesn't have any tough 20 yr. olds? How will he gain more experience in a weaker league?

Post by 019 »

mulefarm should research the BCHL, he will find that it is not that weak of a league.
Geno Snipes

Post by Geno Snipes »

019 wrote:mulefarm should research the BCHL, he will find that it is not that weak of a league.
And he should know that major junior would cause him to lose his college eligibility......
Gopher Blog

Post by Gopher Blog »

It's not like the BCHL isn't recruited by good college programs or lacks any high quality players. North Dakota, CC, Denver, BC, and other programs have had a number of players from the BCHL. It may not be as strong as the USHL but I wouldn't say it is a bad place to go by any means either.
GordonBombay99

Post by GordonBombay99 »

St Cloud State likes to recruit Penticton players, just saying....
AverageHockeyJoe

Post by AverageHockeyJoe »

The Penticton Vees and SCSU connection is due to Fred Harbinson, Pentiction HC. Fred was Asst Coach to Bob Motzko for 2 years prior to his taking the Vees top spot.....
mulefarm

Post by mulefarm »

019 wrote:mulefarm should research the BCHL, he will find that it is not that weak of a league.
I don't feel like reseaching the BCHL. Please tell me all of the great players that have come from the BCHL.
murray

Post by murray »

mulefarm wrote:
I don't feel like reseaching the BCHL. Please tell me all of the great players that have come from the BCHL.[/q]

paul kayira, duncan keith from the vees, specifically.

Post by 019 »

Brett Hull, Mark Recchi, Scott Gomez, Willie Mitchell, Jeff Tambellini, Kyle Turris, Carey Price, Chuck Kobasew all played in the BCHL.
ACTUALFORMERPLAYER

Post by ACTUALFORMERPLAYER »

Former BCHL Players

Brett Hull
Glenn Anderson
Mark Recchi
Ray Ferraro
John Ogrodnick
Cliff Ronning
Geoff Courtnall
Greg Adams
Mel Bridgman
Stan Smyl
Barry Pederson
Ryan Walter
Ron Greschner
Paul Kariya
Joe Murphy
Dave Williams
Bob Nystrom
Curt Fraser
Dean Evason
Dallas Drake
Brad Maxwell
Barry Beck
Doug Lidster
Ron Flockhart
Grant Mulvey
Gary Howatt
Eddie Johnstone
Paul Cyr
Don Murdoch
Blair Chapman
Greg Adams
Dave Lewis
Bill Lindsay
Rick Lapointe
Gene Carr
Tony Currie
Brendan Morrison
Ed Beers
Tim Watters
Gary Nylund
Richard Kromm
Ron Delorme
Alan Kerr
Reg Kerr
Jim Harrison
Torrie Robertson
Gary Lupul
Tim Hunter
Scott Gomez
John Paul Kelly
Bob Hess
Larry Playfair
Murray Baron
Jan Bulis
Mark Taylor
Wayne Bianchin
Greg Fox
Don Ashby
Al Hill
Bill Muckalt
Paul Shmyr
Craig Redmond
David Oliver
Harold Phillipoff
Paul Mulvey
Mark Lofthouse
Bruce Affleck
Jeff Finley
Randy Rota
Todd Ewen
Dan Hodgson
Larry Melnyk
Bob McGill
Paul Kruse
Brad Palmer
Don Nachbaur
Ken Priestlay
Bob Gassoff
Don Barber
Steve Tuttle
Al Cameron
Jason Marshall
Jack McIlhargey
Doug Berry
Robert Dirk
Glen Metropolit
Larry Hale
Shawn Horcoff
Miles Zaharko
Wade Campbell
Brad Bombardir
Chris Murray
Frank Spring
Rudy Poeschek
Dan Kesa
Steve Kariya
Curt Brackenbury
Daryl Stanley
Tom Martin
Willie Mitchell
Scott Levins
Kevin Maxwell
Rick Shinske
Dane Jackson
Ken Berry
Chris Jensen
Butch Deadmarsh
Glenn Merkosky
Wayne Van Dorp
Howard Walker
Link Gaetz
Jerry Holland
Tom McMurchy
Bruce Cowick
Ian Kidd
Errol Rausse
Matt Pettinger
Jason Krog
Jeff Tambellini
Dwight Mathiasen
Tanner Glass
Jamie Benn
Duncan Keith
Kyle Turris
mulefarm

Post by mulefarm »

Great list of players. I would bet most of them played in the league as 16-17 yr olds and either left for major junior or college at 18. Still not a good choice for Lucia, he'll have big numbers, but won't develop his overall game. What recent WCHA players came from the BCHL?

Post by 019 »

Chay Genoway, Evan Trupp, Bret Hextall, Beau Bennett, Kyle Ostrow and Jordy Christian came from the BCHL.
LetsPlayHockey22

Post by LetsPlayHockey22 »

mulefarm wrote:Great list of players. I would bet most of them played in the league as 16-17 yr olds and either left for major junior or college at 18. Still not a good choice for Lucia, he'll have big numbers, but won't develop his overall game. What recent WCHA players came from the BCHL?
Also, if you look at the Vees website you'll see they have I think its 3 players committed to St. Cloud, 1 to Denver, and 1-2 to North Dakota, along with a few others committed places. Its not the USHL but I would say a step up from the NAHL, being a senior in high school I would doubt it will slow Mario's development at all.
218er

Post by 218er »

mulefarm wrote:Great list of players. I would bet most of them played in the league as 16-17 yr olds and either left for major junior or college at 18. Still not a good choice for Lucia, he'll have big numbers, but won't develop his overall game. What recent WCHA players came from the BCHL?
Nobody is arguing that the USHL has more skill, BUT the BCHL has older stonger kids. The USHL can only have a certain amount of 20 year olds, and also needs to carry a certain amount of kids under 18... on Average BCHL teams are older kids. I'd put any BCHL team against a USHL team in terms of toughness and experience. Skill would win over, but I think you'd be surprised how much value toughness and physical play will add to Mario's game... Something Minnesota kids gennerally lack. I played in the USHL when Thunder Bay was still in the league and always thought it was a great experience playing against Canada players. I also think the experience of living in a different county where nobody knows his background will be good for Mario... Nobody will know his stats from high school or care that his dad is "The Don". I think its a smart decision for him!!
Gopher Blog

Post by Gopher Blog »

019 wrote:Chay Genoway, Evan Trupp, Bret Hextall, Beau Bennett, Kyle Ostrow and Jordy Christian came from the BCHL.
A couple of other recent BCHLers were Travis Zajac (pretty solid NHLer) and Ryan Duncan (won the Hobey).

I don't think anybody is saying the USHL isn't the better league of the two. Just that the BCHL isn't bad in its own right.
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

019 wrote:Chay Genoway, Evan Trupp, Bret Hextall, Beau Bennett, Kyle Ostrow and Jordy Christian came from the BCHL.
Don't worry - he'll surely comeback with another stupid comment while ignoring the facts.