Section 1A 2010-2011

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

OU812

Post by OU812 »

In the West v Lourdes game, shots were 18-18. Lourdes had very solid D and great goaltending. Score was 2-0 Lourdes after the 2nd period. In the 3rd, West turned it around with a couple goals, but it was too little, too late.
toybox30

Post by toybox30 »

What i don't understand is why faribault doesn't play forgaard at goalie.
Rookie19

Post by Rookie19 »

toybox30 wrote:What i don't understand is why faribault doesn't play forgaard at goalie.
Coach Ryan is an Idiot that's why.
scarlethockey33

Post by scarlethockey33 »

I remember this subject somewhere else, maybe it was in the Big 9 thread, but from what it seems Forgaard is moved away from Faribault to play golf elsewhere (He was a state golfer for Faribault BA) if I'm remembering correctly...

I personally had thought it was for disciplinary reasons, but 14 games out so far this season how many more without him? King for Rochester JM was out for half of the season for violating the MSHSL rules.

Forgaard isn't even on the roster for Faribault so the assumption that he's moved to play golf elsewhere is quite plausible. Even though I swear I saw him walking around the lobby at the rink before the Faribault vs. Mankato West game. I'm sure Ryan would prefer to have Forgaard back in net for them, as they could use the stability in net.
4AAhockeystud

Post by 4AAhockeystud »

scarlethockey33 wrote:
I remember this subject somewhere else, maybe it was in the Big 9 thread, but from what it seems Forgaard is moved away from Faribault to play golf elsewhere (He was a state golfer for Faribault BA) if I'm remembering correctly...

I personally had thought it was for disciplinary reasons, but 14 games out so far this season how many more without him? King for Rochester JM was out for half of the season for violating the MSHSL rules.

Forgaard isn't even on the roster for Faribault so the assumption that he's moved to play golf elsewhere is quite plausible. Even though I swear I saw him walking around the lobby at the rink before the Faribault vs. Mankato West game. I'm sure Ryan would prefer to have Forgaard back in net for them, as they could use the stability in net.
According to hockey hub Forgaard is on their roster.
Last edited by 4AAhockeystud on Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
toybox30

Post by toybox30 »

He has been playing jv from what i have heard. Now he is sitting varsity some games but not playing because of ryan.
scarlethockey33

Thursday-Saturday Games January 13-15, 2011

Austin at Winona
Faribault at New Ulm (Friday)
Mankato East at Owatonna
New Prague at Farmington
Northfield hosts Shakopee
Red Wing goes to Chanhassen
Lourdes go to Delano (Saturday
LS-H/P at Wascea

Game of the Day

Mankato West (9-4-1) hosting Albert Lea Tigers (9-5-0)

Mankato West is coming off a close loss to Lourdes (3-2) as Albert Lea is coming off a close win of Rochester Century (3-2), which is a team that had the better of the Tigers earlier in the season winning 6-3.

Albert Lea is the most penalized team in Section1A with 72 times going on the PK. Their PK has given up 19 PP goals, a stat that Mankato West's powerplay will bury the Tigers with their 23 pp goals in 66 attempts thus far this season.

Albert Lea's goaltending has seen a large improvement since the beginning of the season under Wangen in net. Besides Carlson, Stolt and Hacker there don't have a 10 point scorer on the team. The Scarlets will test the depth of Albert Lea, their defense and goaltending constantly in this game.

I like Mankato West in this one off paper and off what I saw at the Lourdes game. Albert Lea's depth has been the question for me almost all season. With the home ice and the players West's has I like them to win against Nystrom's Tigers
bstarr15

Post by bstarr15 »

Scarlet, Just an FYI, Lourdes-Delano don't play till next Sat. the 23rd. Lourdes is off until then with Semester finals.
scarlethockey33

Scarlet, Just an FYI, Lourdes-Delano don't play till next Sat. the 23rd. Lourdes is off until then with Semester finals.
Thanks, when I do these I just skim through the schedules and look for the day without thought of the actual date

Mankato West 6 Albert Lea 5

real scrappy game, Mankato West was able to get on the powerplay plenty of times to bury the Tigers, but the Scarlets weren't able to keep themselves out of the box as well.

The puck bounced the right way for Albert Lea on many of their goals, just not Kaufman's night in net though he had some real key saves to keep the Scarlets ahead in the 3rd. Showed some composure although giving up 5 last night and was able to kill an extremely important Tigers 6 on 4 chance in the ending minutes.
Chalk_Talk

Post by Chalk_Talk »

This board has been quite lately. Not chatter from the Albert Lea vs Red Wing game?

Any big games this week?

Any under classman starting to pick it up?

This section is going to come down to 5 teams and which one has the hot goalie

Roch-Defending champs, Most people picking them to win, They are playing too many close games in my opinon to be the hands down favorite. All the close games might help them in pressure situations down the stretch

West- Has the best goal scorer, the defensemen are probably the week point on the team, for the most part they play good defense it's when the puck is on the defenseman's stick and they are looking to make a play (break outs)

AL-A Roy Nystrom team, much more need to be said. Carlson is a great player but they are going to need the surrounding cast to step up. This team forechecks very hard. There defensemen pinching at the wrong time could cost them

NP-I have not seen this team play, they have done nothing to catch my attention neither positively or negatively. Seem to be a solid team with no super stars. Could catch a team off guard in sections

RW-Another team I haven't seen, tough sechedule at the beginning of the year which could pay off at the end. Close game with AL on Saturday, wish I could add more....

The above is about the order I see them ranked right now

Thoughts/opinions??
scarlethockey33

The Big9 teams in the section are playing Big9 opponents or have no games. Lourdes has the week off til Saturday when they go to the chilly Delano arena to face Heinonen. The only section matchup is gonna be in the Missota side of the section. Northfield and New Prague meet up in New Prague. It'll show us if Northfield is gonna be a competitor come section time.

New Prague's biggest name player maybe their goalie Joe Morris, he was hot at the end of last season and could come back to do some damage come section time. Also look out for Zach Adams, a pretty good defensemen and Brezina has done the scoring for the Trojan squad.

As for underclassmen, you don't have to go far as Lourdes' Alex Funk and Jason Samuelson (both sophomores) lead the team in scoring.

Andrew Scofield for Northfield has been their top scorer this year and also was their top threat from last year, he comes back this year as a sophomore and will be important for Northfield's success.

For West's defense there is a lot of pressure on sophomore Billy Bigham and freshmen Scott Mckissick, but they see a lot of ice time and definitely don't look like underclassmen as the season has progressed.

Lastly, with Red Wing at 3-11, I don't know if their a top team in the section, you could easily say that Northfield or even Faribault are better. Typically the unknown team for many of the section team has they don't play much outside of the Missota and non-conference games don't typically go to section opponents (two section teams not including Missota teams on schedule, AL and Lourdes). Always seems like a tough team to gauge in terms of ranking.
OU812

Post by OU812 »

I see Section 1A like this (section W/L record):

1. Lourdes (5-0) - how can they not be the #1 seed? Top goalie in Heimer, and have beaten NP, West, Albert Lea, RW, and Northfield already. Schedule is tougher than the rest of section, and after all, they are the defending champs.

2. West (6-2) - The surprise of the section so far. A slight edge at this point over NP and Albert Lea, especially after beating AL Thursday. Top line has 120+ points, with state points and goals leader Ville Rantanen leading the way. Kaufman is playing well in net. Big game tonight v Century for 1st place in the Big 9.

3. New Prague (3-2) - Even though they lost to AL earlier, they have picked it up lately. 7-1 win over Farmington and comfortable wins over Faribault and Red Wing. Morris is probably the most underrated goalie in the section, but that may change soon. A young team with upside.

4. Albert Lea (5-2) - Nystrom coached teams are always dangerous, and a win last week over AA Century opened eyes. Lost to Lourdes 4-1 and 6-5 to West. Still looking for consistent play. Carlson remains as fiesty as ever.

5. Red Wing (1-3) - Wingers best game was a 6-5 OT loss to Lourdes. 2nd toughest schedule in the section. Losses to ALea, NP and Shakopee.

6. Faribault (2-2) - if G Aaron Forgaard is really back, and it looks like he played well vs New Ulm, that could be a big boost to the Falcons. They have the offense to compete with the top teams in the section. Helgeson and Lipinski are top forwards.

7. Northfield (1-3) - only 33 goals scored as a team so far despite Andrew Scofield's decent start. Beat Red Wing, with losses to AL, Fairbault, and Lourdes.

8. LaCrescent (1-0)- hard to judge a team that plays most of it's games vs Wisconsin teams, but 4-1 win over LSP gives an idea.

9. LeSeuer/St Peter (2-2)- Another top goalie, Chris Amsden, gives the Bulldogs a chance in thier own zone. Combining kids from four different schools makes chemistry harder to find.

10. Waseca (1-3) - beat East; lost to West, LSP, and AL.

11. Austin (1-2)- best game of the year was vs Faribault last week, when Packers were leading 3-1 before losing. Much improved team from two years ago.

12. East (0-5) - tough season all around for the Cougars. There is no quit in that team, though. They have played hard to the end in each game.
GopherHockey

Post by GopherHockey »

NP 5
Northfield 2

SOG NP 50
Northfield 11
scarlethockey33

New Prague that much better than Northfield? 50-11 shots tells a lot. Personally thought Northfield would put up a fight against New Prague.

the hockey schedule is starting to slow down only three games left this week for teams in the section

Faribault vs. Mankato East (Thursday)
New Prague vs. AHA (Friday)
Rochester Lourdes vs. Delano (Saturday)
GopherHockey

Post by GopherHockey »

[quote="scarlethockey33"]New Prague that much better than Northfield? 50-11 shots tells a lot. Personally thought Northfield would put up a fight against New Prague.

Pretty sure Scofield was out. New Prague completely dominated the game, not a whole lot of time on attack for the Raiders. Morris got hung out to dry on the shorthanded breakaway for Northfield, but still allowing two goals on only 11 shots is not very impressive.
Pleasedontpostagain

Post by Pleasedontpostagain »

Scofield was out. First Northfield goal was a power play goal. Puck just thrown out from behind the net in front and then bounced off a couple guys and went in. Northfield goalie stopped a lot of rubber.
scarlethockey33

Pleasedontpostagain wrote:Scofield was out. First Northfield goal was a power play goal. Puck just thrown out from behind the net in front and then bounced off a couple guys and went in. Northfield goalie stopped a lot of rubber.
judging by the numbers tjaden had a pretty decent day in net i mean the 5.00 GAA doesn't look good but considering his .900 SV% he did his part in goal for the raiders.. in northfield is Tjaden getting most of the starts over Finger now?
hockeydad

Post by hockeydad »

Northfield's goalie really kept them in the game. It was 2-1 until about eight minutes left in the game. (NP's third goal came in the third period, not the second as reported on hockey hub last night) Very impressive showing.
jackstraw

NP

Post by jackstraw »

No chat about NP and there game with HA?
scarlethockey33

Lourdes wasted Delano 5-1, Heinonen with the goal for Delano
OU812

Post by OU812 »

Was anyone at the Lourdes v Delano game? Any details?

Nice win for the Eagles. Sounds like they shut down another of the state's top scorers.
bstarr15

Post by bstarr15 »

Yes solid play by Lourdes. Couple kids back in the line up gave them some more balance. D was all over Heinonen, he was frustrated. His one goal was a pretty one though. I thought the refs were awful,checking from behind in the 1st 10 sec right in front of the ref and no call, took the Lourdes goalie out hard behind the net and some other cheap shots. Lourdes controlled the first,more even in the 2nd and then Lourdes dominated in the 3rd. Good game for having 10 days off. 1st of 4 road games
OU812

Post by OU812 »

West over Shakopee 5-0

Lourdes over New Prague 3-1
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Waseca 2, East 0, was their best showing of the year, if we could have stayed out of the box, this might have been a different game,.... and keeping the bluejays scoreless in the third with 2 of your 4 defensemen in the box for most of the period and pulling the goalie with 1:40 to go, was one of their best periods this year. dylan meyer had an outstanding game in goal for the cougars, he stood on his head and kept it close.
PoNd HocKey ChAmP67

Post by PoNd HocKey ChAmP67 »

Any other games tommorow besides the Red Wing vs. Northfield.
That could be a big one for seeding at the end of the year.