2010-2011 Section 3A predictions

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Bettman's Bender

Post by Bettman's Bender »

goalieguy_14 wrote:
Bettman's Bender wrote:Marshall Beats Mankato West and shuts down the foreign exchange sensation ville rantanen tonight... 2-1 in OT....

Big win for Marshall...even tho it is non-section non-conference... Shots were even 24-22 favoring Marshall.

Redwood 8... Windom 5..... that sounds like an ugly game...

Morris beats sleepy eye ... 12-2... sleepy eye has a much more competitive team this year.. watch out for morris in the SW. they could make some noise... beat willmar earlier too..

New Ulm 1 Hutch 0 .... shots favor New Ulm 26-14.... Hutch has a good goaltender, much better than anyone predicted.

The top teams in this section are very very close in my opinion...]top 4.... all capable of beating each other on any given night.... gonna be a great run down the stretch.
First, the shots are always a little skewed when playing in marshall, i wasn't there and am not trying to take away from their win because thats a huge win for them, but i'm sure they're goaltending won them that game and they were outshout... regardless though great win for them.

Secondly, i wouldn't call hutch's goalie good he's decent at best, not as good as nu, marshall, or probably litch's (haven't seen them play yet). After watching hutch play though they seem pretty solid just need to find someone to start creating more scoring opportunities for them. I see it coming down to them and nu, and nu goes back to the X with the better goalie.

Litch is probably right there too just need to see how they match up against the other top teams. At this point i know they've had some good games and close ones with other top teams but i don't see marshall as a serious contender they're just the best of the rest but that could change if they're goaltender got hot and was playing even better than he has so far come playoff time, but for now i see them as the best of the rest and this section as a three horse race.

I also disagree with the nu shots thought there was more than that for both teams?
So... which game were you at? You make it sound like you were at both the Marshall-Mankato game and the New Ulm-Hutch game...... so....... someting is fishy dude......

also, litch goaltending is weakest of the top 4 teams. without a doubt. And yeah, Hutch's goalie is decent, i was just making a point that he is doing better than I predicted. Burgau is looking good.

Luverne will find a way to win this section.
goalieguy_14

Post by goalieguy_14 »

Bettman's Bender wrote:
goalieguy_14 wrote:
Bettman's Bender wrote:Marshall Beats Mankato West and shuts down the foreign exchange sensation ville rantanen tonight... 2-1 in OT....

Big win for Marshall...even tho it is non-section non-conference... Shots were even 24-22 favoring Marshall.

Redwood 8... Windom 5..... that sounds like an ugly game...

Morris beats sleepy eye ... 12-2... sleepy eye has a much more competitive team this year.. watch out for morris in the SW. they could make some noise... beat willmar earlier too..

New Ulm 1 Hutch 0 .... shots favor New Ulm 26-14.... Hutch has a good goaltender, much better than anyone predicted.

The top teams in this section are very very close in my opinion...]top 4.... all capable of beating each other on any given night.... gonna be a great run down the stretch.
First, the shots are always a little skewed when playing in marshall, i wasn't there and am not trying to take away from their win because thats a huge win for them, but i'm sure they're goaltending won them that game and they were outshout... regardless though great win for them.

Secondly, i wouldn't call hutch's goalie good he's decent at best, not as good as nu, marshall, or probably litch's (haven't seen them play yet). After watching hutch play though they seem pretty solid just need to find someone to start creating more scoring opportunities for them. I see it coming down to them and nu, and nu goes back to the X with the better goalie.

Litch is probably right there too just need to see how they match up against the other top teams. At this point i know they've had some good games and close ones with other top teams but i don't see marshall as a serious contender they're just the best of the rest but that could change if they're goaltender got hot and was playing even better than he has so far come playoff time, but for now i see them as the best of the rest and this section as a three horse race.

I also disagree with the nu shots thought there was more than that for both teams?
So... which game were you at? You make it sound like you were at both the Marshall-Mankato game and the New Ulm-Hutch game...... so....... someting is fishy dude......

also, litch goaltending is weakest of the top 4 teams. without a doubt. And yeah, Hutch's goalie is decent, i was just making a point that he is doing better than I predicted. Burgau is looking good.

Luverne will find a way to win this section.
Did you even read what i said? I said in my last post that i wasn't at the kato marshall game so yes i was at the nu hutch game.

Now your saying luverene will win this section? They probably won't even win the SW conference. They're in the same class as marshall, better than the bottom feeders but not as good as the top 3.
OU812

Marshall v West

Post by OU812 »

I do think Marshall deserves respect for beating West. Tigers played a great game and deserved to win. Big home crowd helped.

The overall section 3A "respect" issues come partly from the teams in the bottom third of the section not being very strong. That could change. This year New Ulm is playing really well, which that should help the whole section gain more credibility.
gr8hkymind

Section 3A Predictions

Post by gr8hkymind »

Wow..a surprising victory with Marshall over Kato West! Great job Tigers! I was able to attend the NU vs. Hutch game the other day and the Eagles should have beat them a lot worse that 1-0! As I stated way back in my predictions on Section 3A...the down fall of New Ulm will ber their selfish players. They should have had at least 3 more goals in the game! #3 could have had and couple easy assists if he would have slid the puck over to a teammate! NU has 2 very good lines and very decent 3rd line, but it is so evident that the individualism is running rampid on that 1st line! This should be interesting if NU starts losing...how the palyers will react and get along! Everything is always good when your winning!
Stay tuned as to how that unfolds! NU has a tough tough game Saturday with Delano. We'll really see how good these guys are! The Section is obviously the weakest in the State.....Predictions Delano 7 NU 4...that Heinonen kid for Delano is GOOD! D1 Good! I'm thinking he'll have at least 4 points against NU's Defense! Burgau is good...but he can't save the Eagles in this one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FYI----Eagles should win the Section though with all the depth they have...deeper than last year that's for certain!
Merry Christmas fellow Hockey Junkies!
BuffaloRidgeHockey

Morris/Benson Area vs. Luverne

Post by BuffaloRidgeHockey »

Morris/Benson 3 Luverne 2

The Storm came to town yesterday down here in Luverne. From the start it was back forth. The first period ended 1 to 1 shots favoring Luverne 8 to 4. After that it was complete domination by the home team. In the second Luverne went up 2 to 1 and then they blinked. In a 10 second span they let the game slip away giving up a break away and then another break away off the ensuing faceoff.

After that it was all Luverne shots were 21 to 8 after the second period in favor of Luverne. They ended up 34 to 16 in favor of Luverne. Numerous chances no goals.

Thoughts for one Marshall is the clear favorite in the Southwest conference the Tigers should run the table. Honestly was not impressed with Morris at all ran two lines only and their D were slow and did not move the puck well. But the goalie could steal a game. Great win for Marshall beating Willmar 5-2 I just really think no one is in their league as much as I hate saying that.

As for my hometown squad had lots of high hopes coming into this season they have already lost the conference now. I don't know what to say really about them I thought they were over rated to start the year this group played B hockey in the youth still. But its still early I guess.....
Section 3A HockeyScout

Section 3A Week #3

Post by Section 3A HockeyScout »

Greetings Section 3A Followers,

Well another down here is how I see it.

Week #3 Section 3A Rankings
1. New Ulm (4-1-1)
2. LDC (5-0-0)
3. Hutchinson (1-2-0)
4. Marshall (5-2-0)
5. Sleepy Eye (3-1-0)
6. Redwood Valley (2-3-1)
7. Luverne (2-2-0)
8. Fairmont (1-4-0)
9. Windom (1-4-0)
10. Worthington (0-5-0)

New Ulm-Beat Hutch but did look beatable. Got hammered by Delano the Eagles need to pick it up.

LDC- Another Week another win huge match up vs. Marshall.

Hutchinson- Had a chance to knock off New Ulm team needs to find scoring

Marshall- Tigers get a great week beating two good teams now the big test they need a win on Tuesday.

Sleepy Eye-
They are 3 and 1 team has solid goaltending they right now are the 5th best team in the section. Indians are off to a great start good story developing here.

Redwood Valley-
2 and 0 in the conference the two time defending SW champs look to be getting better each day.

Luverne- Easily the biggest disappointment thus far…

Fairmont-
Should of beat Luverne but proved they are better then Worthington.

Windom-
Lost to Sleepy Eye only win vs. Worhtington

Worthington-
Showing signs of life….only lost 3 to 1 to Waseca

Section 3A Game of The Week

Marshall vs LDC
Huge game for both teams! Seeds are on the line should be a fun one rematch of the Playoffs!

Another week here we come!
new2coachin

Re: Section 3A Week #3

Post by new2coachin »

Section 3A HockeyScout wrote:Greetings Section 3A Followers,

Well another down here is how I see it.

Week #3 Section 3A Rankings
1. New Ulm (4-1-1)
2. LDC (5-0-0)
3. Hutchinson (1-2-0)
4. Marshall (5-2-0)
5. Sleepy Eye (3-1-0)
6. Redwood Valley (2-3-1)
7. Luverne (2-2-0)
8. Fairmont (1-4-0)
9. Windom (1-4-0)
10. Worthington (0-5-0)

Another week here we come!
I think you have Sleepy Eye to high. I see it differently:

1. New Ulm
2. LDC
3. Hutch
4. Marshall (great job beating West!)
5. Redwood
6. Luverne
7. Fairmont
8. Sleepy Eye
9. Windom
10. Worthington

Luverne has me puzzled right now, their potential has them competing for the #4 spot, but their performance has them at #6. Hopefully they will figure it out by the end of the regular season. Windom with good goal tending could jump to #7. A few more games this week to watch that could change some things.

Merry Christmas everyone!
Bettman's Bender

Marshall beats west 2-1.... beats Willmar 5-2!!! and ties Litchfield tonight.. in litchfield... 2-2...

Great game in Litchfield.... LDC looked to be slightly faster than Marshall and that helped them create more scoring chances.. marshall goalie Noble, very solid in goal... hockey hub reports shots as 36-37 favoring marshall... but.... i find that hard to believe... felt like litch had... probably 10 more shots than marshall..... but.. the game was close.... both teams played textbook hockey.... good defense on both ends, especially litchfield... Litch really kept marshall to a small number of chances and kept all the shots to a long safe range.... which they had to because of an obviously weak goalie....

LDC goalie is very very weak.... that will be the downfall of their team this year.
Section 3A HockeyScout

Sleepy Eye Pounds Mankato East 7 to 0 last night. Like I said a fun little story developing here they are (4-1-0) off to a great start.

New Ulm pounds St.Peter
Redwood wins gets back to .500 (3-3-1)
Marshall and LDC Tie
letsgowild

Post by letsgowild »

Bettman's Bender wrote:Marshall beats west 2-1.... beats Willmar 5-2!!! and ties Litchfield tonight.. in litchfield... 2-2...

Great game in Litchfield.... LDC looked to be slightly faster than Marshall and that helped them create more scoring chances.. marshall goalie Noble, very solid in goal... hockey hub reports shots as 36-37 favoring marshall... but.... i find that hard to believe... felt like litch had... probably 10 more shots than marshall..... but.. the game was close.... both teams played textbook hockey.... good defense on both ends, especially litchfield... Litch really kept marshall to a small number of chances and kept all the shots to a long safe range.... which they had to because of an obviously weak goalie....

LDC goalie is very very weak.... that will be the downfall of their team this year.
??????? The score was tied, shots were very close. but LCD goalie is very very weak and Marshall goalie Noble , very solid in goal ????????
goalieguy_14

Post by goalieguy_14 »

letsgowild wrote:
Bettman's Bender wrote:Marshall beats west 2-1.... beats Willmar 5-2!!! and ties Litchfield tonight.. in litchfield... 2-2...

??????? The score was tied, shots were very close. but LCD goalie is very very weak and Marshall goalie Noble , very solid in goal ????????
There's a difference between shots and scoring chances...
Cujo

Post by Cujo »

Congrats to sleepy eye! 4-1 on the season so far. Hope for the best the rest of the season.

What teams are going where for holiday tournys?
goldy313

Post by goldy313 »

New Ulm will be in Rochester, they were scheduled to meet the Des Moines Capitals, who won the Iowa state tournament last year and are in first place in the league this year. Mason City won the Rochester tournament last year beating Int Falls and Lourdes en route and finished 4th in their league for a comparison. The Capitals dropped out and have been replaced by the Sioux Falls Flyers who are tied for second in the Iowa league.
Bettman's Bender

letsgowild wrote:

yes. scoring chances were lopsided... and the shots you see on hockeyhub dont seem quite right to me.. Marshall had two decent shots on goal... and they both went in. Litch doesnt have a goalie that is capable of making a big save for them. They have goalies that can "get in the way." If you dont believe, just wait, come sections you'll see.

Congrats to Sleepy Eye! good to see that program get out of the cellar.... however.. everyone's gotta realize they havent beat anyone worth noting... mankato east is really bad this year, and barely has enough numbers to fill a varsity roster. however 4 wins in five games... Its gotta feel good for that program who just a couple years ago could only dream of 4 wins coming... in about 4 years..
Coolice

Post by Coolice »

NU just won the A tournament in Rochester. Beat Eau Clair Wis. 2 - 0
Section 3A HockeyScout

Section 3A Rankings Week #5

Greeting Fellow Section 3A Followers,

Well I hope all had a Happy Holidays!! Now is the time for teams to start to form into title contenders or pretenders. We will have to see what the New Year brings us in Section 3A!

Section 3A Rankings (1-2-11)
1. New Ulm (7-1-2)
2. L-D-C (6-0-1)
3. Hutchinson (2-5-0)
4. Marshall (6-4-1)
5. Sleepy Eye (4-2-0)
6. Redwood Valley (4-5-1)
7. Luverne (4-3-0)
8. Windom (2-6-0)
9. Fairmont (1-8-0)
10. Worthington (0-5-0)

1. New Ulm – These guys are really heating up one a very good Rochester Kiwanis Holiday Tournament beat the #1 team in Wisconsin. The Eagles are looking strong big matchup LDC looming this week. This is the team to beat in 3A.

2. LDC- Another week yet another win for the undefeated Dragons. They did not compete in a holiday tournament but look out for these guys they are dangerous. Big Match up with New Ulm and Hutch this week.

3. Hutch- The only reason they are at 3 is because of their big win over Marshall. This team has no goal scorers they will struggle all year but will be a threat when it counts.

4. Marshall- Decent showing at the Open Schwan’s Cup took 4th place. Need to get it going again as they head into the teeth of their Conference schedule should start to rack up some wins.

5. Sleepy Eye- These guys look to be the best of the rest they took their lumps as freshman and sophomores now they look like dangerous foe. Look no further then their senior net minder Robert Regan…Never heard of him check Hockey Hub’s Top 10 net minders in the state. This kid will win them games against the rest of this section.

6. Redwood Valley- Two time defending Champs in the Conference are 2-0 right now. They will get a good test from Morris Benson on Tuesday. Redwood has been playing better of late. Their goaltending is coming around and they have super Senior Senior Eric Hanson he can win some games on his own.

7. Luverne- Took 2nd place in a very weak Willmar Holiday Tournament. Beat two teams they should of beat. Still a very Disappointing team. There is talent they’re just not performing??

8. Windom- Only Two wins but beat both Fairmont and Worthington that gets them a home playoff game!

9. Fairmont- This team is really struggling took last in a horrible Willmar tournament lost to Windom 9 to 4. What’s the deal with these guys?

10. Worthington-They are getting better but still are easily the worst team in the state.

Big Games in Section 3A
Marshall vs Luverne
Round Two a chance for Luverne to show they are not a pretender…However I look for Marshall to Rout the Cardinals in a laugher…

LDC vs. Hutchinson
Big game in Litch…These two also play a close game no matter what. I will take the Dragons because I just don’t see a kid who can score on Hutch.

Section 3A Game of the Week
New Ulm vs. LDC
Looks to be a preview of the Section Championship. Is a rematch of last years game should be a fun battle to watch. I will take the Eagles in this one but I can’t wait to see this one go down!!

Let Play some more Hockey!!
timcorbin21

Post by timcorbin21 »

New Ulm is clearly number one.
after that its pretty murky.
Litch hasn't played a very tough schedule. they will take some lumps this week against both Mound and New Ulm.
Hutch played well against a Marshall team that played poorly but thats it.
Marshall?? They've kids that have played varsity for three and four years but you'd never know it.
Sleepy Eye!! Stranger things have happened but they've also played very week teams.
Luverne, however they've been playing, they always play Marshall tough
Bettman's Bender

timcorbin21 wrote:New Ulm is clearly number one.
after that its pretty murky.
Litch hasn't played a very tough schedule. they will take some lumps this week against both Mound and New Ulm.
Hutch played well against a Marshall team that played poorly but thats it.
Marshall?? They've kids that have played varsity for three and four years but you'd never know it.
Sleepy Eye!! Stranger things have happened but they've also played very week teams.
Luverne, however they've been playing, they always play Marshall tough
Corbin you are just upset luvernes "dream team" isnt living up to your godly expectations... in fact.. they arent living up to anything.. losing to morris.. and now losing to marshall twice.. theyll be middle of the pack in the SOUTHWEST CONFERENCE.

there are 4 contenders for this section. just like anyone that knows anything has said. New Ulm being the obvious favorite right now... winning the roch. tournament and being overall the most skilled team... but... Marshall and Litch are both solid.. and are pretty even... Hutch beat Marshall, but honestly. hutch marshall and litch are all about the same. any game could go any way.. and.. any of the 3 will give new ulm a run for their money....

SO MUCH FOR THOSE SOUTHWEST CONFERENCE, SECTION 3A, AND STATE CHAMPION LUVERNE TEAM THIS YEAR EH TIM CORBIN...

YOU'RE A REAL BEAUTY ARENT YA BUDDY. ..

BENDER..and BEAUTY centered by ... DUSTER ..... cardinal hockey
jackstraw

?

Post by jackstraw »

Mr. Bettman, I read your post where you talk about teams being able to knock off teams at certain times, then throw in your tirade about Luverne ans how Marshall is clearly way better. I then cruise to Hockey Hub and see that Marshall wins 4 to 3, it was 3-2 after 2, shots were 22 to 20. Looks like a game that could go have gone either way, oh, I might remind you that it is very tough to beat teams 3 times in one season. Looks like one team is on there way up while another one might be stagnating?
fastncrash

Sad Day.

Post by fastncrash »

My deepest condolences go out to the Maxwell Family. WD
Cujo

Post by Cujo »

Big game tomorrow: Undeafeated Litch goes to NU tomorrow. Who wins?

And Hopefully the Maxwell family is in everyones prayers tonight!! Deeply sorry to hear the news!
Chalk_Talk

Post by Chalk_Talk »

Cujo wrote:Big game tomorrow: Undeafeated Litch goes to NU tomorrow. Who wins?

And Hopefully the Maxwell family is in everyones prayers tonight!! Deeply sorry to hear the news!
What happened? I haven't seen anything posted.
Section 3A HockeyScout

Tragic new

Just saw the story in the Pipestone County Star Newspaper. It appears that Austin Maxwell, a player for Luverne, parents were hit in a head on collision by a drunk driver on the way home from the Luverne-Marshall game last night. Austin's dad was killed and his mother was air lifted to the Sioux Falls where she is listed in critical condition. Tragic News my thoughts and prayers go out to the Maxwell's and the entire Luverne Hockey Community...

As for the game I went to it. Great Hockey hockey game back and forth teams were evenly matched. Luverne tied it 3-3 in the third on a Maxwell Slap Shot. Marshall was able to find the back of the net with less then 4 minutes to go to pull out a hard fought 4-3 win.

Bettman is just being a Marshall fan I know deep down he respects Luverne. After that game you really could not walk away thinking wow that game ould of gone either way. But he is loyal to his home town troops nothing to get all upset over.

As for tomorrow heading up to New Ulm should be a great battle I think Litch will give the Eagles fits but I look for a new ulm win should be a great game.

For all those those hockey followers be safe on the roads and enjoy your games!!
new2coachin

Re: Tragic new

Post by new2coachin »

Section 3A HockeyScout wrote:Just saw the story in the Pipestone County Star Newspaper. It appears that Austin Maxwell, a player for Luverne, parents were hit in a head on collision by a drunk driver on the way home from the Luverne-Marshall game last night. Austin's dad was killed and his mother was air lifted to the Sioux Falls where she is listed in critical condition. Tragic News my thoughts and prayers go out to the Maxwell's and the entire Luverne Hockey Community...

As for the game I went to it. Great Hockey hockey game back and forth teams were evenly matched. Luverne tied it 3-3 in the third on a Maxwell Slap Shot. Marshall was able to find the back of the net with less then 4 minutes to go to pull out a hard fought 4-3 win.

Bettman is just being a Marshall fan I know deep down he respects Luverne. After that game you really could not walk away thinking wow that game ould of gone either way. But he is loyal to his home town troops nothing to get all upset over.

As for tomorrow heading up to New Ulm should be a great battle I think Litch will give the Eagles fits but I look for a new ulm win should be a great game.

For all those those hockey followers be safe on the roads and enjoy your games!!

My thoughts & prayers are with the Maxwell Family and the entire Luverne Hockey team & their families during this difficult time.

3A Scout, you lose credibility with me everytime you defend Bender. He attacks anyone who has an opinion not favoring Marshall. If that is your example of a Marshall fan, then Marshall needs help. If Bender respects Luverne then HE should say it instead of making rude comments to posters.
bardown27

Post by bardown27 »

hutch 4
lesueur 1