Big 9

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

jackstraw

?

Post by jackstraw »

Wagoner is ineligible due to transfer rules, he was enrolled in KC while with Stover and now down in Omaha. I have no idea what you are talking about being deemed a "higher" league. Without changing schools, a player could do a before and after with a USHL team, now THAT would be considered a higher league, not MM.
Miracle1980

Wagoner

Post by Miracle1980 »

I was told Wagoner is back at Owatonna HS and is eligible.
woodley

Post by woodley »

I heard Wagoner is at Owatonna this year, anyone have any info about eligibility? Did his family have a residence down south last year?
Miracle1980

Wagoner

Post by Miracle1980 »

Its my understanding his parents never left Owatonna. If he re-enrolled at Owatonna HS this fall I see no reason why he wouldn't be eligible. His U-16 team last year shouldn't effect that.
Last edited by Miracle1980 on Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
hockeydad

Post by hockeydad »

The rules are so confusing, but I think there is a rule about transferring from an out of state high school without a change in family residence (change being the key word) that might make him ineligible. I remember something on this board a year or two ago about someone who wasn't eligible in Duluth in similar circumstances. I'm not going to pretend I know anything about this kid's case, though, there could be something different going on here. There's so many exceptions and clauses in the transfer rule.
BOTCH #3

Post by BOTCH #3 »

Returning or new, who are looking to be some of the go to guys for these teams?
chawski24

Post by chawski24 »

even if wagoner is back for owatonna, big deal they have noone else.
guppyfish

Re: Big Nine

Post by guppyfish »

clutterbuck22 wrote:
Big Nine Observer wrote:Based on what I saw last year, here are the returning players who stood out to me last year. I have no idea if these players left for juniors or not?

Century ... Kautz, Raechshler
Faribault ... Parker
Albert Lea ... Carlson, Stolt
Mayo ... Dingle
Owatonna ... Thompson, Ebling
West ... Weber
I think all of the Kautz's left for Juniors and I would add Serratore, McMasters, and Sederquist for Mayo. McMasters didn't play until the final few weeks because of transfers and the games he played in he looked good.
Kautz left for the Express
Parker at Russel Stover
Carlson/Stoldt - very good players - Carlson the better of the two
Dingle?
Owatonna - Thompson one goal last year - what about Owatonna's top scoring defenseman and fourth overall leading scorer, Feichtinger? Perhaps you don't watch the D?
guppyfish

Re: Wagoner

Post by guppyfish »

Miracle1980 wrote:Its my understanding his parents never left Owatonna. If he re-enrolled at Owatonna HS this fall I see no reason why he wouldn't be eligible. His U-16 team last year shouldn't effect that.
Wagner will not play this year - appeal process in place not looking good
Owatonna sucks anyway
Big Nine Observer

Big Nine

Post by Big Nine Observer »

I only saw Owatonna a couple of times last year and their defenseman were terrible. Without Wagoner they will definitely be a sub 500 team. Sounds like Faribault and Albert Lea will be the teams to beat this season.
Big Nine Observer

Does anyone know when the Rochester schools have their preseason tourney?
Sioux Fan

Why no Wagoner he is an Owatonna boy not a transfer in?awful

Post by Sioux Fan »

Why is it important to penalize a young man for going away to an elite program and it not working out and he would be a good competitor for Owatonna and good competition for all the others in the area. Why is it so important for the HS league to hurt the kids. I think the better the players the better the hockey for the whole league. I like this young man and he should be allowed to play.

Terrible decision again. He is going to school in Owatonna and will be there all season why he cannot play is very wrong.
Fighting Sioux Forever
itech22

Post by itech22 »

Big nine observer. I don't believe the rochester schools have a preseason tourney. I know last year Mayo went and scrimmaged I believe albert lea and West over in albert lea. I do not know what the other Roch schools did for preseason scrimmages. The only tourney they have is the Kiwanis over Christmas break.
Big Nine Observer

Thanks itech22, I thought Mayo, Lourdes, JM, and Century had a some scrimmages scheduled against each other last November, but I could have been mistaken.
chawski24

Post by chawski24 »

sioux fan dont cry. One player on owatonna does not make a difference in the big 9. He left his team I wouldnt want him back even. owatonna will be 500 at best. enough said
itech22

Post by itech22 »

sioux fan: Just to touch on the subject that is causing a little stir. Nobody is being penalized here. Wagoner made a choice to leave high school and attempt to pursue other means. Now in doing this the rules were in place prior to him leaving and I would assume or hope they researched them before making the decision to leave. There isn't much of an appeals process when your arguement is based on that it simply didn't work out. This was and always will be a gamble for these kids to make these choices and risk not fulfilling your high school experience. Taking in consideration the multitude of kids leaving there high school teams already imagine what it would be like if everybody could just leave and attempt to further there career elsewhere and always be able to return. We woudn't have high school hockey. Look at The Rau (Eden Prairie) situation he made a choice to stay and play high school but obviousley it was a difficult decision. I am sure he was told by lucia that to enhance is career he needed to leave high school.
keepmeoutofit

Post by keepmeoutofit »

Our son played with Wagoner a year or two ago and he is a good player and a pretty nice kid. The rules were there before that's true but should they be? We're still America home of the brave and many think we should be able to go after other options and if they dont work out turn around and go home.
Owatonna isn't Eden Prairie and one player does make a difference I'm sure his coach and most on his team would love to have him
itech22

Post by itech22 »

keepmeoutofit: I don't disagree with alot of what you stated in your post. I moreless was taking a "it is what it is" approach to the situation. You are probably right in saying the kids and coach would love to have him back. And when you stated "this is not Eden Prairie" I would assume you are indicating that the new transfer rules are a direct result of what was going on in the metro with which resulted in the new rules. These practices in transfering had to stop and rules did need to come as a result of this. However as a result of these rules alot of other situations changed as well. I could probably go on and on but the bottom line is High School hockey is taking a big hit every year due to kids being offered this or that with no assurances. Look how many players left the Big 9 this year, it's incredible. I don't think High School hockey is valued any longer with talented kids as they are looking to leave for what they THINK is a better option. If kids just believed that things will work out for them if there talented enough we would be in better shape. I applaude Rau for staying in High School and enjoying his senior year. Believe me, Lucia probably isn't happy but I can assure you his scholarship is not going anywhere.
Miracle1980

Transfer Rules?

Post by Miracle1980 »

Rau made a smart decision to stay at EP. You only have one Senior year to play with friends you grew up with. The USHL will still be there for him next year. The Wagoner situation is different. I am not going to pretend to know all the MSHSL transfer rules, but it just seems wrong to prevent a kid from playing with his friends he grew up while he is attending his hometown High School.
keepyourheadup

Post by keepyourheadup »

I'm no expert on the rules but Apple valley just had a kid return under very similar circumstances..he played for russell stover this year..and it seems he's somehow elidgible.
Sioux Fan

Post by Sioux Fan »

I think it should be for the young men and the best competition possible he is not transferring amongst teams in the HS League and only tried to play at a more advanced level. He should be allowed to play with his longtime teammates at his long time home town.. should not even be a discussion.

Why is it bad to try to go to a more competitive program and then if it does not work and you can add to the value of your team and the league u play in why would anyone want to stop a kid from playing for their HS if they are good enough and Wagoner surely is.. I think this is ridiculous and that the taxpayers of Owatonna surely want the best kids to be playing that are home grown Huskies. it is to obvious that sometimes the rules do not hit on the intent of High school activities it is to strengthen our youth through good competition and exercise why would we deny that for Mr Wagoner.. RIDICULOUS!! This group is so Metro biased it would not surprise me if Apple Valley kid did the same exact thing and is allowed to play.. LET THE KIDS PLAY.
Fighting Sioux Forever
Sioux Fan

Post by Sioux Fan »

Maybe the competition level of the Big Nine is the problem.. Lets get the players playing the game.
Fighting Sioux Forever
Sioux Fan

Post by Sioux Fan »

itech so to me it is a penalty to be going to HS in my hometown and not be able to play Hockey with my buddies. That is a problem for me. Sorry!
Fighting Sioux Forever
Sioux Fan

Post by Sioux Fan »

Major Midget is a bit above the Big Nine in competition level.
Fighting Sioux Forever
itech22

Post by itech22 »

siouxfan: I think that High School players should be playing with their buddies as you so indicated. So then lets make the decision to stay in High School and do this. You kind of contradicted yourself a bit in your posts. You touched on the talent level of the Big 9. I am sorry to say that the talent level is this way due to this very problem of kids jumping away from High School hockey for hopes of the grass being greener. These rules are in effect to KEEP!!!! kids in High School to fullfill there experience playing with there buddies as you STATED. If there were no penalties and kids could jump around everywhere just imagine what this would do to High School hockey. The average player would be attempting to leave for bigger and better things. Of course we all know most of these situations wouldnt' work out and kids would be coming back at various paces. Hockey has gone to the point of insanity with kids. And I am referring to coaches in differnt programs offering this and that with no assurances. Siouxfan this is no different than any other level of any sport. College kids bolt for the professional ranks and some don't work out like they thought in which they are not able to go back to there respective college team (buddies) as well. The bottom line is there are choices for everybody to make and some with consequences that they have to deal with. Kids, stay in High School and play. If you are good enough, believe me in this day and age of competitive recruiting amongst these coaches they know who can play and who can't. They will find you!!!! . Obviousley I am for the protection of High School Hockey and will always be.