Northern Wings tourney top 98 teams

Discussion of Minnesota Youth Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

hockeydad30

Northern Wings tourney top 98 teams

Post by hockeydad30 »

Who are the top teams in this div?
thunderwolf

Re: Northern Wings tourney top 98 teams

Post by thunderwolf »

hockeydad30 wrote:Who are the top teams in this div?
My guess is the Northern Wings win handily.

Thunder Bay and Lake Superior Stars met in the final last year with LSS winning handily. Neither are back and the Northern Wings again field a strong squad. My guess is the Jr Bulldogs and Jr North Stars might be decent, maybe Snipers and Grinders also.
OGEE OGELTHORPE

Re: Northern Wings tourney top 98 teams

Post by OGEE OGELTHORPE »

hockeydad30 wrote:Who are the top teams in this div?
Here are the teams, my guess is the Jr.Bulldogs top the list.

98 - N WINGS
98 - STORM
98 - GRIZZLY'S
98 - SKATE TO EX
98 - GRINDERS
98- JR BULLDOGS
98 - MAVERICKS
98- SNIPERS
98 - JR N STARS
in2hockey

Post by in2hockey »

Look out for the Grizzly's. They have some talented players.
hockeydad30

Post by hockeydad30 »

Why do you say the Bulldogs? I saw the Wings in Minneapolis and think the outcome would have been Diff. if the would have played any of the top 3 from the Wales side
thunderwolf

Post by thunderwolf »

hockeydad30 wrote:Why do you say the Bulldogs? I saw the Wings in Minneapolis and think the outcome would have been Diff. if the would have played any of the top 3 from the Wales side
Just guessing that the Jr Bulldogs, as part of the Wisc/Min Elite group will be a decent team. I have heard the Jr North Stars were solid.

My son plays with the Thunder Bay team that was in the Meltdown Open and we have played the Northern Wings in the past. They have a solid squad, by many accounts were the best team in the Meltdown(like I mentioned in another thread, I wish they had been in the Wales so we could have played them).

I'm sure the Snipers and Grinders will field competitive teams, although having seen the Snipers at Meltdown, I don't think they are equal to Northern Wings.
hockeydad30

Post by hockeydad30 »

Snipers and grinders are MM how would they far against the duece? We played them last year and they were not bad.Who are the Grizzlies?
OGEE OGELTHORPE

hockeydad30 wrote:Snipers and grinders are MM how would they far against the duece? Who are the Grizzlies?

I'll explain it like this, if it was an association.

MM Teams

Machine-A
Deuce-B1
Snipers & Grinders- B2

Grizzlies could be The Metro or Manitoba, don't know anything about either team.
My_Kid_Loves_Hockey

Post by My_Kid_Loves_Hockey »

I believe there is a Fargo/Moorhead Grizzlies team too.

Wings will win this one.
Chuck

Post by Chuck »

hockeydad30 wrote:Snipers and grinders are MM how would they far against the duece? We played them last year and they were not bad.Who are the Grizzlies?
Who does your son/daughter play for?
hockeydad30

Post by hockeydad30 »

Iwill say that the Northern Wings or the Jr Bulldogs will win. Both rosters look strong.
OGEE OGELTHORPE

hockeydad30 wrote:Iwill say that the Northern Wings or the Jr Bulldogs will win. Both rosters look strong.
Looks like a few LSS players on the Jr Bulldog roster. :wink:
hockeydad30

Post by hockeydad30 »

OGEE OGELTHORPE wrote:
hockeydad30 wrote:Iwill say that the Northern Wings or the Jr Bulldogs will win. Both rosters look strong.

just 1
Chuck

Post by Chuck »

hockeydad30 wrote:
OGEE OGELTHORPE wrote:

just 1
2, # 2 and # 17
hockeydad30

Post by hockeydad30 »

Chuck wrote:
hockeydad30 wrote:
OGEE OGELTHORPE wrote: Looks like a few LSS players on the Jr Bulldog roster. :wink:

just 1
2, # 2 and # 17
Where did you get the list? The only name I seen was Dulong and he is not playing
OGEE OGELTHORPE

Chuck wrote:
hockeydad30 wrote:
OGEE OGELTHORPE wrote: Looks like a few LSS players on the Jr Bulldog roster. :wink:

just 1
2, # 2 and # 17
You are correct Chuck, 2 players not a few as I had mentioned earlier.
Thanks for clearing that up,
My apologies.
play4fun

Post by play4fun »

Anyone with some experience care to take a stab at ranking the 98 teams?

Blades, Machine, LSS, and Icemen (in no particular order) among the top tier. Then...
play4fun

Post by play4fun »

Forget it. Just saw someone on another thread got blasted for a similar question about 97's...
OGEE OGELTHORPE

play4fun wrote:Anyone with some experience care to take a stab at ranking the 98 teams?

Blades, Machine, LSS, and Icemen (in no particular order) among the top tier. Then...
Looks like you got the top 4. :wink:
hockeydad30

Post by hockeydad30 »

play4fun wrote:Anyone with some experience care to take a stab at ranking the 98 teams?

Top teams don't always have the top players
gdahl

Post by gdahl »

It is a bit confusing to follow the teams in the minn/wisc league founded by the jr. badgers. Their roster on the minn/wisc site is quite different than the roster they submitted for the wings showdown tourney. This is similar to what they did in the meltdown with blades players. I am not saying it is right or wrong....but it appears they feel it appropriate to pick up players from the blades to play in a metro tourney and pick up players from the stars to play in a duluth tourney. Again I am not saying right or wrong because I do not know...but it raises the question if perhaps there should be more regulation to off season rosters and limiting kids to play on only one , two, three, or more teams in the off season. As it stands...it appears they are using the system to better their teams....what is wrong with being better?

4 Ty Coffield ~ International Falls, MN F/D
5 Williams Fort Frances, ON F/D
7 Trey Palermo ~ Fort Frances, ON F/D
8 Nic DuLong ~ Coleraine, MN F/D
10 Taylor Lantz ~ Coleraine, MN F/D
11 Grant Troumbly ~ Bovey, MN F/D
12 Riley Nemec ~ International Falls, MN F/D
15 Wyatt Boyum ~ International Falls, MN F/D
17 Zane Peterson ~ Duluth, MN F/D
20 Austin Peterson ~ Proctor, MN F/D
27 Logan Smith ~ Virginia, MN F/D
30 Dylan Ossachuk ~ Fort Frances, CAN G
87 Logan Radovich ~ Hibbing, MN F/D
88 Jake Bestul ~ Hibbing, MN

2 Rob Sobczak 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
4 Tyler Coffield 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
5 Troy Williams 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
6 Tyler Vanuden 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
7 Trey Palermo 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
8 Nic Przybylski 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
10 Taylor Lantz 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
11 Grant Troumbly 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
12 Riley Nemec 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
15 Wyatt Boyum 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
17 John Stampohar 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
20 Austin Peterson 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
24 Zane Peterson 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
27 Logan Smith 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
87 Logan Radovich 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
88 Jake Bestul 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

Now with that being said this team....It is my belief they will only win one game for the weekend at this wings tourney
100percenteffort

Post by 100percenteffort »

[but it raises the question if perhaps there should be more regulation to off season rosters and limiting kids to play on only one , two, three, or more teams in the off season. As it stands...it appears they are using the system to better their teams....

Are you serious??? Do you want to limit the amounts of clinics or camps they go to as well? "Off season " is exactly what it means...off season.
Some kids choose to play in the off season and there are many who choose not to play in the off season. I don't care who you are....Icemen, Machine, Synergy, Blade, Stealth......they are 10/11 years old and all they know is that they get to play hockey. Many kids are a part of different leagues and teams in the "off season" 3 on 3, Mash, Showcase, selects, superseries etc. The off season is about being able to continue to stay skating while developing and having fun doing it. As far as I'm concerned, all teams are "throw together" in the spring/summer/fall.
Why wouldn't you try to "better your team"? "Improving a "team" is part of life......would you ever hear your boss say,"It wouldn't be good for our business if we hired xyz to improve us, it just wouldn't be fair, besides, he has his MBA and it's more then any of us have." NO....you take the chance to learn from this guy and motivate yourself to get an MBA to keep your job!
All teams should be extatic about being able to play against or with a "better" team. The competition is better and it makes each and every player learn to step it up to a faster and more competitive game.

It sounds like you are bitter about not having a "few good players" on your team......well, find yourself some, it just may motivate the rest of your team to work harder and improve themselves......this is what off-season is all about. I know my daughter's soccer team "recruits" players when they go to tourney's in Iowa....it happens in all sports.

Leave the Jr. Badgers alone.....it's not like they "swept" the meltdown, they didn't even win.....Maybe you should be picking on the Thunder Bay team...they obviously had a few good players as well, should they not have been allowed to bring them either?
Like I said, these kids are 10/11, all they know (no matter what abiility they are) is that they get to play in a fun tournament and it's something
to do besides sitting and playing video games or getting in trouble somewhere. These tourneys are full of family involvement and encourages family's to spend time together. There is not one kid out there, good, bad or indifferent in their ability that doesn't deserve that.
BluntInstrument

Post by BluntInstrument »

100percenteffort wrote:[but it raises the question if perhaps there should be more regulation to off season rosters and limiting kids to play on only one , two, three, or more teams in the off season. As it stands...it appears they are using the system to better their teams....

Are you serious??? Do you want to limit the amounts of clinics or camps they go to as well? "Off season " is exactly what it means...off season.
Some kids choose to play in the off season and there are many who choose not to play in the off season. I don't care who you are....Icemen, Machine, Synergy, Blade, Stealth......they are 10/11 years old and all they know is that they get to play hockey. Many kids are a part of different leagues and teams in the "off season" 3 on 3, Mash, Showcase, selects, superseries etc. The off season is about being able to continue to stay skating while developing and having fun doing it. As far as I'm concerned, all teams are "throw together" in the spring/summer/fall.
Why wouldn't you try to "better your team"? "Improving a "team" is part of life......would you ever hear your boss say,"It wouldn't be good for our business if we hired xyz to improve us, it just wouldn't be fair, besides, he has his MBA and it's more then any of us have." NO....you take the chance to learn from this guy and motivate yourself to get an MBA to keep your job!
All teams should be extatic about being able to play against or with a "better" team. The competition is better and it makes each and every player learn to step it up to a faster and more competitive game.

It sounds like you are bitter about not having a "few good players" on your team......well, find yourself some, it just may motivate the rest of your team to work harder and improve themselves......this is what off-season is all about. I know my daughter's soccer team "recruits" players when they go to tourney's in Iowa....it happens in all sports.

Leave the Jr. Badgers alone.....it's not like they "swept" the meltdown, they didn't even win.....Maybe you should be picking on the Thunder Bay team...they obviously had a few good players as well, should they not have been allowed to bring them either?
Like I said, these kids are 10/11, all they know (no matter what abiility they are) is that they get to play in a fun tournament and it's something
to do besides sitting and playing video games or getting in trouble somewhere. These tourneys are full of family involvement and encourages family's to spend time together. There is not one kid out there, good, bad or indifferent in their ability that doesn't deserve that.
This kinda goes to the heart of the whole true AAA discussion. Many complain that AAA is watered down and most teams should be classified as AA. One way this is handled is having an open tournament vs. invite tournament but teams playing in the open are loading up with invite players. Same would be said if you have a AA and AAA classification, would it be OK to have AA team have 3 or 4 AAA players playing in a AA tournament ? I don't have a dog in this fight so I dont know the answer to that but it doesn't pass the "smell" test...something doesn't "smell" right with that. Same with a team loading up with Invite players for an open tournament.

In the case of the Jr Badgers 98 team they didn't win which is true but it cuts to the heart of the issue. From what i read on other threads, after playing in all games leading up to the championship only 1 of the 4 blades players played in the championship game ... the rest went back to the Blades game that conflicted with the championship game. Is that right ? would a true "team" tolerate that ? I have no axe to grind with Blades players as they probably told the Badgers they would play as long as there wasn't a conflict ... the question is with the Badgers and tournament for allowing this. Is it fair to the to the other teams that signed up for the OPEN tournament, played and lost to the Badgers with the Blades players only to see the Badgers team play without the Blades players in the championship game ? that's a question for those teams but from afar it doesn't "smell" right.
mnhkylvr

Post by mnhkylvr »

"would you ever hear your boss say,"It wouldn't be good for our business if we hired xyz to improve us, it just wouldn't be fair, besides, he has his MBA and it's more then any of us have." NO"

But you might hear your boss say, "Get off that blasted hockey forum and get some work done!" :lol: :lol: :lol:
hockeydad30

Post by hockeydad30 »

BluntInstrument wrote:
100percenteffort wrote:[but it raises the question if perhaps there should be more regulation to off season rosters and limiting kids to play on only one , two, three, or more teams in the off season. As it stands...it appears they are using the system to better their teams....

This kinda goes to the heart of the whole true AAA discussion. Many complain that AAA is watered down and most teams should be classified as AA. One way this is handled is having an open tournament vs. invite tournament but teams playing in the open are loading up with invite players. Same would be said if you have a AA and AAA classification, would it be OK to have AA team have 3 or 4 AAA players playing in a AA tournament ? I don't have a dog in this fight so I dont know the answer to that but it doesn't pass the "smell" test...something doesn't "smell" right with that. Same with a team loading up with Invite players for an open tournament.

In the case of the Jr Badgers 98 team they didn't win which is true but it cuts to the heart of the issue. From what i read on other threads, after playing in all games leading up to the championship only 1 of the 4 blades players played in the championship game ... the rest went back to the Blades game that conflicted with the championship game. Is that right ? would a true "team" tolerate that ? I have no axe to grind with Blades players as they probably told the Badgers they would play as long as there wasn't a conflict ... the question is with the Badgers and tournament for allowing this. Is it fair to the to the other teams that signed up for the OPEN tournament, played and lost to the Badgers with the Blades players only to see the Badgers team play without the Blades players in the championship game ? that's a question for those teams but from afar it doesn't "smell" right.
I don't see a problem with bringing in a few players, I could see if it was 6 players but a couple players are not going to change the face of your team. The Min/Wis program is fairly new and this is a good way to try to bring in better players to maybe play with your club next year so you can build a better team. I see from the other top teams players come and go every year. Also there are kids that can't afford the whole season or are new to the AAA and don't now if the wan't to play the whole season. This is an easy way to introduce them and maybe hook them for coming years.
The idea behind AAA is to build as good as team as you can and come have some fun.