Any Meltdown scores from last night?

Discussion of Minnesota Youth Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

WildFan

Any Meltdown scores from last night?

Post by WildFan »

Feel free to post results.
DonnyHockey

Post by DonnyHockey »

'98 Jr. Gophers - 6
'98 CCM - 6
dogeatdog1

Post by dogeatdog1 »

99 Rangers 9
99 CCM 3
puckfan

Post by puckfan »

Doesn't Showcase usually post results as the tournament is going on?

If so anybody find the link?
observer

Post by observer »

They usually post scores on the site when each round is complete. They update the schedule with scores. The first round isn't over until all of tonight's games are complete.

http://www.showcasehockey.com/tournament.aspx
DonnyHockey

Post by DonnyHockey »

Champions I'm aware of:
'98 - Thunder Bay
'00 - CCM
in2hockey

Post by in2hockey »

minnesota flames win the 95 and 96 divisions
skilldevelopementguy

Post by skilldevelopementguy »

DonnyHockey wrote:Champions I'm aware of:
'98 - Thunder Bay
'00 - CCM
I saw this and the score above that showed 98 ccm 6 and 98 jr. Badgers 6. In both cases, this can be a bit confusing because there are 3 ccm teams at these ages (actually, I am not sure if there is a 98 ccm capitals so there may only be 2 ccm teams at that age). So to clarify, I suggest putting the info down like this...

98 Jr. Gophers - 6
98 CCM Monopoly Open - 6

And in the 2000 championship

00 Thunder Bay Northern Hawks - 2
00 CCM Monopoly Invite - 4

Or just call them the Monopoly. The other CCM probram probably should be called CCM Capitals to avoid confusion with the Madison Capitals though.

Some other results I know...

99 Champs - Jr. Badgers over the 99 Manitoba Colts (don't know the score)
00 madison stars played the 00 manitoba thunderbolts for 3rd place - stopped watching this @ 1 to 1 so I don't know the final.
98 third place - Fort Francais over Monopoly Invite 4 to 1.
The extra "e" in "developement" is for EXCELLENT!
skilldevelopementguy

Post by skilldevelopementguy »

dogeatdog1 wrote:99 Rangers 9
99 CCM 3
Also, this score refers to the 99 CCM Capitals.
The extra "e" in "developement" is for EXCELLENT!
puckfan

Post by puckfan »

How did they split the teams into the 2 division where they had tons of teams? Was there a big difference in the teams that won the 2 different divisions?
thunderwolf

Post by thunderwolf »

skilldevelopementguy wrote:
DonnyHockey wrote:Champions I'm aware of:
'98 - Thunder Bay
'00 - CCM
I saw this and the score above that showed 98 ccm 6 and 98 jr. Badgers 6. In both cases, this can be a bit confusing because there are 3 ccm teams at these ages (actually, I am not sure if there is a 98 ccm capitals so there may only be 2 ccm teams at that age). So to clarify, I suggest putting the info down like this...

98 Jr. Gophers - 6
98 CCM Monopoly Open - 6

And in the 2000 championship

00 Thunder Bay Northern Hawks - 2
00 CCM Monopoly Invite - 4

Or just call them the Monopoly. The other CCM probram probably should be called CCM Capitals to avoid confusion with the Madison Capitals though.

Some other results I know...

99 Champs - Jr. Badgers over the 99 Manitoba Colts (don't know the score)
00 madison stars played the 00 manitoba thunderbolts for 3rd place - stopped watching this @ 1 to 1 so I don't know the final.
98 third place - Fort Frances over Monopoly Invite 4 to 1.
Anyone know what the difference is between the Campbell and Wales divisions in some age groups?
WildFan

Post by WildFan »

why is the '98 Jr. Badger's in the open tourney again in '09? Didn't they win the '98 open in '08?
thunderwolf

Post by thunderwolf »

WildFan wrote:why is the '98 Jr. Badger's in the open tourney again in '09? Didn't they win the '98 open in '08?
yes they did
JoeBoy

Post by JoeBoy »

WildFan wrote:why is the '98 Jr. Badger's in the open tourney again in '09? Didn't they win the '98 open in '08?
I'm sure they won't/can't move up because their best players are Blades players they pick up for this tournament so they would loose them and couldn't compete.
low stick

Post by low stick »

SOUNDS LIKE 98 BLADES NEED ALL THE HLEP THEY CAN GET - LOST TO ICEMAN 4-0?
HITUHARD

Post by HITUHARD »

Low Stick
That game was closer than it showed. The Blades are very good and will be tough in the long haul. Not taking anything from a very good Icemen team. Both teams are well coached & deep in talent.
WildFan

Post by WildFan »

I see that the '00 Monopoly won the '00 Championship. That's great for that young program plus it's nice to see a MN team win the title.
hiptzech

Post by hiptzech »

WildFan wrote:I see that the '00 Monopoly won the '00 Championship. That's great for that young program plus it's nice to see a MN team win the title.
It would have been better had an "Open" team won...This squad is truly an Invite Team....
play4fun

Post by play4fun »

hiptzech wrote:
WildFan wrote:I see that the '00 Monopoly won the '00 Championship. That's great for that young program plus it's nice to see a MN team win the title.
It would have been better had an "Open" team won...This squad is truly an Invite Team....
The 2000 Monopoly are a first year squad and just played in their first ever tournament. Based on no prior history, they played in the appropriate class, and were the best "open" team this past weekend. Now they can enter "invite" tournaments knowing that they belong at that level, though they will probably struggle against the top teams.

It was a very nice start for a developing program. They should be a fun group to watch this summer.
hiptzech

Post by hiptzech »

play4fun wrote:
hiptzech wrote:
The 2000 Monopoly are a first year squad and just played in their first ever tournament. Based on no prior history, they played in the appropriate class, and were the best "open" team this past weekend. Now they can enter "invite" tournaments knowing that they belong at that level, though they will probably struggle against the top teams.

It was a very nice start for a developing program. They should be a fun group to watch this summer.
I agree with you in part. I agree that they would struggle with some of the top teams, and understand the whole first year thing, but.....everyone at that level was first year including the Invite level. The coach himself openly admitted that they should be at the Invite level, however management decided to go with the Open Level. No sour grapes, but you can see a squad's ability and get a sense as to what level they are at before game 1...
It was clear from the start of the tourney where they should have been, but they did have a couple of tight games that does justify part of what you are saying.
They looked good and should develop well throughout the season.
WildFan

Post by WildFan »

Given the fact no '00 team before this Meltdown has had much of a track record it's tought to tell who belonged where in terms of invite or the open tourney. Taking a look at the '00 invite bracket of the Meltdown they onlyhave 5 teams: Blades, Machine, Easton Synergy, Madison Capitals and Manitoba Mustangs. Not much of a tourney, they should have added 3 more teams to this tourney. But the problem was which ones since none have a track record.

By the '00 Monopoly winning the '00 open with 12 teams including 3 Canadian teams and the Jr. Badgers it's clear they are a talented team.

Sounds like Thunder Bay had a nice showing with a win at the '98 and a 2nd at the '00.
thunderwolf

Post by thunderwolf »

WildFan wrote:Given the fact no '00 team before this Meltdown has had much of a track record it's tought to tell who belonged where in terms of invite or the open tourney. Taking a look at the '00 invite bracket of the Meltdown they onlyhave 5 teams: Blades, Machine, Easton Synergy, Madison Capitals and Manitoba Mustangs. Not much of a tourney, they should have added 3 more teams to this tourney. But the problem was which ones since none have a track record.

By the '00 Monopoly winning the '00 open with 12 teams including 3 Canadian teams and the Jr. Badgers it's clear they are a talented team.

Sounds like Thunder Bay had a nice showing with a win at the '98 and a 2nd at the '00.
The closest game the '00 Thunder Bay team had before losing to Monopoly was a 7-0 win. The Monopoly team must have been pretty strong. I saw the two teams take the ice and the Monopoly team was filled with some very big 8 year olds.
jBlaze3000

Post by jBlaze3000 »

I saw the championship game between the 98 Jr Badgers and the Thunder Bay 98's (Thunder Bay won 2-1) and I'd say that the better team definitely won the game. I wasn't routing for either team but by the end of the game I found myself cheering for Thunder Bay because the Badgers coach came across as a bit of a whiner. He was throwing his hand up calling for penalties at the slightest incidental contact (somewhat understandable because his team was down 2-0 most of the game). His team was very aggressive (not dirty, but there definitely could have been a few more penalties called against them) which is fine but don't play physical and then whine when the other team gives it back.

BTW, did anyone ever figure out what the difference was between the Campbell and Whales conferences at the 98 level?
WildFan

Post by WildFan »

I think the difference between the two was the quality of teams. The Wales only had 8 teams but the teams were stronger and some could have possibly played in the invite. The Campbell was pretty much your typical open teams that weren;t very strong besides the Northern team taht won it all who wasn't tested at all and would have been better off in the Wales division. But this team didn't ahve any history to base their skill on.
BluntInstrument

Post by BluntInstrument »

jBlaze3000 wrote:I saw the championship game between the 98 Jr Badgers and the Thunder Bay 98's (Thunder Bay won 2-1) and I'd say that the better team definitely won the game. I wasn't routing for either team but by the end of the game I found myself cheering for Thunder Bay because the Badgers coach came across as a bit of a whiner. He was throwing his hand up calling for penalties at the slightest incidental contact (somewhat understandable because his team was down 2-0 most of the game). His team was very aggressive (not dirty, but there definitely could have been a few more penalties called against them) which is fine but don't play physical and then whine when the other team gives it back.

BTW, did anyone ever figure out what the difference was between the Campbell and Whales conferences at the 98 level?
I saw the same thing in earlier games with Badger coach. Someone said Badgers had 4 or 5 Blades players ( not that its a big deal) and played them every other shift. Did they play the championship game ? Nice win for Thunderbay.