JRGA -Top ten this week

Discussion of Jr Gold (HS Aged Teams Sanctioned by USA Hockey)

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, karl(east)

bardown30

Post by bardown30 »

To be honest, they aren't good enough for me. In fact I think they are pretty weak. In my experience, wayzata and Jefferson have both been more competitive.

Why don't I like tournaments? You say that teams are just as competitive in tournaments, that's not true. Tournaments mean nothing, usually just a time to test things out and play 4 games in 48 hours. I can promise you that teams(maybe not Tonka) play with less motivation in tournaments then they do when something is actually on the line. I'd rather win the league and state than win 4 tournaments.
Mermaid Man

Post by Mermaid Man »

bardown30 wrote:To be honest, they aren't good enough for me. In fact I think they are pretty weak. In my experience, wayzata and Jefferson have both been more competitive.

Why don't I like tournaments? You say that teams are just as competitive in tournaments, that's not true. Tournaments mean nothing, usually just a time to test things out and play 4 games in 48 hours. I can promise you that teams(maybe not Tonka) play with less motivation in tournaments then they do when something is actually on the line. I'd rather win the league and state than win 4 tournaments.
i disagree. i think teams play harder in tournaments than in league play because there is actually something on the line. i bet if you are in the championship game of a big tourney you are gonna be more focused and hyped up to play than in a regular league game.
bardown30

Post by bardown30 »

Mermaid Man wrote:
bardown30 wrote:To be honest, they aren't good enough for me. In fact I think they are pretty weak. In my experience, wayzata and Jefferson have both been more competitive.

i disagree. i think teams play harder in tournaments than in league play because there is actually something on the line. i bet if you are in the championship game of a big tourney you are gonna be more focused and hyped up to play than in a regular league game.
I suppose my team is different then, because for us, tournaments mean nothing. Sure they are fun to win, but don't give a fair indication of how a team is in my opinion. A championship in a tournament doesn't seem to be that big of a deal for me or others on my team.
Mermaid Man

Post by Mermaid Man »

bardown30 wrote:
Mermaid Man wrote:

I suppose my team is different then, because for us, tournaments mean nothing. Sure they are fun to win, but don't give a fair indication of how a team is in my opinion. A championship in a tournament doesn't seem to be that big of a deal for me or others on my team.
ok i feel that. some people just have different ways of getting pumped up.
toptitty96

Post by toptitty96 »

I may have to agree with bardown. I know that many teams switch things up, and unless the tournament game is maybe a championship or a large rival game, teams often don't care. I know that tournys are a chance for certain players to play a little more often, or even play at different positions. However, many teams do still go for it in tournys, it just depends on what motivates a team. I think that a lot of the time when a team is playing a weak team, even in league play, they will be unmotivated and play down to the level of their opponent, but this is not the case for all. I think that teams will all bring their best come playoffs.
DrPepper

Post by DrPepper »

Since we are on the topic of tournaments, the duluth tournament was a bit iffy. Duluths first game was against Centennial I am not saying anybody is better but they did cake walk their part because they had the refs and what not nuff said?
bardown30

Post by bardown30 »

They walked through you guys and so did Edina a few days later but it is clear that you guys have finally started to play well again. Maybe realizing that you can't just hack kids and you have to skate to win. But keep it up.
DrPepper

Post by DrPepper »

Thanks but if you saw our game against duluth and the rest of the games up there how the penalties were being called. Duluth DID NOT get any calls on them but if we did one little thing we got called. Also our game against blaine up there there were a total of about 50 penalties
downwithcloquet

Post by downwithcloquet »

DrPepper wrote:Thanks but if you saw our game against duluth and the rest of the games up there how the penalties were being called. Duluth DID NOT get any calls on them but if we did one little thing we got called. Also our game against blaine up there there were a total of about 50 penalties
? Your goalie let in every shot and the penalties were even except for the ones that 7 got and maybe one other player. Not really home town referees. Sorry 8)