2000 MACHINE VS 2000 BLADES

Discussion of Minnesota Youth Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

dogeatdog1

Post by dogeatdog1 »

[/quote]

You sir deserve a day to be able to drive to work and get every green light. A day to take the freeway, and go the speed you want. Good post[/quote]

Thanks Glasses I had a great morning after your post. Too bad I don't have a long commute. I am usually the one stirring the pot it is nice when you get a good coment.
Who else?

Have more kids and relax...

Post by Who else? »

Thanks Cyclone and Miracle parents! Your 'timely, objective' posts have given us all a whole new outlook on 'your' culture.

North, south, east, west... everyone has a AAA team to play on.
Judgeandjury

Post by Judgeandjury »

People- I looked at who invented hockey here's what I learned. You might be shocked to find out that the Blades or Machine programs did not in fact invent hockey. One would think that these two programs would deserve such an honor. But in my studies I cannot find any truth to the fact. The dream of my son someday playing for one of these legendary programs has been crushed. I was looking forward at telling all my friends and relatives that my son plays for the Machine of Blades. I guess it's not meant to be.
How will my son take the news that he cannot wear a shirt and tie to the rink and be told he cannot play any other sports besides hockey?
How will my son take it when I tell him that he cannot play on a team that rosters 24 players and picks and chooses which skaters will play in each tourney? Now I'll have to buy my way onto another team. :cry:

Read below for some interesting hockey history.

The game of hockey played on ice probably came into being in the 16th Century. Field hockey can be traced back around to around 4,000 ago and this is confirmed by some wall paintings which were found at a burial site in Egypt. These show a game being played using a ball and curved sticks. The Irish version of field hockey, hurling, also has historic roots and was mentioned in the 1366 Statutes of Kilkenny. The first recorded history that we have of ice hockey is in Dutch paintings in the 17th Century. These show people playing a game of hockey which was clearly on a frozen lake. It is impossible to say who invented hockey played on ice, as we know it today.

We know that Sir John Franklin mentions hockey during his arctic expeditions in 1825 and also a British army officer makes mention of it in his writings in 1843, but these were not organised games with written rules and set teams. They were more informal events. This gives us no clue as to who invented hockey as nothing was recorded.

Recording of the first games happened in the mid 1800s in the Halifax area. This was played by British soldiers stationed in there. We also know that ice hockey rules were finally drawn up at the McGill University in Montreal and this maybe the closest that you will get to finding out who invented hockey. This is where the first rules were established regarding the numbers of players etc.

There is, however, another theory. This is a story which involves a Colonel Hockey who was based in Windsor in Novia Scotia. It is thought that Colonel Hockey invented a game using a curved stick and a ball which was used as part of his fitness program for his troops. The game then became known as "Hockey's game". There is, indeed, documentary evidence to prove that John Hockey was serving in Halifax, Nova Scotia in the 1800s, just at the time when the name was adopted for the game. It may be that this is who invented hockey.

So, we have no conclusive proof of who invented hockey. It would seem that it could have evolved rather than being invented. It also depends on how you want to look at the question. McGill University definitely wrote the first rule book and they could, in a way, be defined as being the inventors. The Colonel Hockey story, however, is pretty good and it is encouraging that there is documentary proof of his existence at the right time and the right place. I am afraid that the ball is in your court, so to speak. You will have to accept one of these theories, or you could put in some hours of research and try to prove one of them beyond all doubt.
dogeatdog1

Post by dogeatdog1 »

Judgeandjury wrote:People- I looked at who invented hockey here's what I learned. You might be shocked to find out that the Blades or Machine programs did not in fact invent hockey. One would think that these two programs would deserve such an honor. But in my studies I cannot find any truth to the fact. The dream of my son someday playing for one of these legendary programs has been crushed. I was looking forward at telling all my friends and relatives that my son plays for the Machine of Blades. I guess it's not meant to be.
How will my son take the news that he cannot wear a shirt and tie to the rink and be told he cannot play any other sports besides hockey?
How will my son take it when I tell him that he cannot play on a team that rosters 24 players and picks and chooses which skaters will play in each tourney? Now I'll have to buy my way onto another team. :cry:

The game of hockey played on ice probably came into being in the 16th Century. Field hockey can be traced back around to around 4,000 ago and this is confirmed by some wall paintings which were found at a burial site in Egypt. These show a game being played using a ball and curved sticks. The Irish version of field hockey, hurling, also has historic roots and was mentioned in the 1366 Statutes of Kilkenny. The first recorded history that we have of ice hockey is in Dutch paintings in the 17th Century. These show people playing a game of hockey which was clearly on a frozen lake. It is impossible to say who invented hockey played on ice, as we know it today.

We know that Sir John Franklin mentions hockey during his arctic expeditions in 1825 and also a British army officer makes mention of it in his writings in 1843, but these were not organised games with written rules and set teams. They were more informal events. This gives us no clue as to who invented hockey as nothing was recorded.

Recording of the first games happened in the mid 1800s in the Halifax area. This was played by British soldiers stationed in there. We also know that ice hockey rules were finally drawn up at the McGill University in Montreal and this maybe the closest that you will get to finding out who invented hockey. This is where the first rules were established regarding the numbers of players etc.

There is, however, another theory. This is a story which involves a Colonel Hockey who was based in Windsor in Novia Scotia. It is thought that Colonel Hockey invented a game using a curved stick and a ball which was used as part of his fitness program for his troops. The game then became known as "Hockey's game". There is, indeed, documentary evidence to prove that John Hockey was serving in Halifax, Nova Scotia in the 1800s, just at the time when the name was adopted for the game. It may be that this is who invented hockey.

So, we have no conclusive proof of who invented hockey. It would seem that it could have evolved rather than being invented. It also depends on how you want to look at the question. McGill University definitely wrote the first rule book and they could, in a way, be defined as being the inventors. The Colonel Hockey story, however, is pretty good and it is encouraging that there is documentary proof of his existence at the right time and the right place. I am afraid that the ball is in your court, so to speak. You will have to accept one of these theories, or you could put in some hours of research and try to prove one of them beyond all doubt.
Thanks for the history lesson Judge.. I alway enjoy reading about people making excuses for why their kid doesn't play for a top team.. You missed the point of my post by a mile.. But then again attorneys have a fine way of spinning their arguments to justify their existence...So you can understand where I am coming from. I was only trying to give perspective to prospective parents that everywhere you go in life you have different opportunities. Some choices are benificial and some are not. It is all what you are looking to get out of that opportunity and how you spin it to your kid. Keep your head on your shoulders because there is always someone looking to knock it off..Again I want to say that I wish the newbies luck and Competition breeds excellence so if we do happen to get a bunch of top end teams in the state we will all be better for it. Until then have your kid set realistic goals and make a team that suits your needs. Finally my mother once told me don't JUDGE others that are successful as it only makes you look jealous. :twisted:
play4fun

Post by play4fun »

Is there a site that lists the dates, sites, and participating teams for this summer's local AAA tournaments? If not, maybe a good thread to start and update over the course of the next several months? Tournament results should paint a pretty objective picture of which programs have the teams to beat, which improve over the course of the summer, etc.

Anyone?
dogeatdog1

Post by dogeatdog1 »

play4fun wrote:Is there a site that lists the dates, sites, and participating teams for this summer's local AAA tournaments? If not, maybe a good thread to start and update over the course of the next several months? Tournament results should paint a pretty objective picture of which programs have the teams to beat, which improve over the course of the summer, etc.

Anyone?
Good idea however there are two type of AAA tourneys that happen in the state Invite and open.. the top teams play in the invite portion and fight it out with other invitees in state and out of state teams. the other teams need to make a name for themselves before they get the invite. Lots and lots of politics goes into where teams play and if they will stay in state. A good example of this is the 97 blades were allowed to play in a 96 invite tourney last year in MN. The Machine and the Blades historically have done well in high end tourneys outside of MN and that is where they get their. "elite" AAA or what every you want to call it status. Other teams that venture out to play established Teams like little Cesars, Boston Jr. Bruins, St. Louis Jr Blues and Canadian teams like Branford, Team Brick etc will get the recognition. Until then you will have to beat teams like RBK, Duece, Iceman to gain local recognition. Not trying to be eliteist just trying to inform 2000 parents on what the recent history is... taking shots from Judge and Jury when trying to give one parents perspective makes one leary of getting into it.
muckandgrind

Post by muckandgrind »

play4fun wrote:Is there a site that lists the dates, sites, and participating teams for this summer's local AAA tournaments? If not, maybe a good thread to start and update over the course of the next several months? Tournament results should paint a pretty objective picture of which programs have the teams to beat, which improve over the course of the summer, etc.

Anyone?
No single site that I know of, but it sure would be nice if there were one.

Here are the dates from some (but not all) of the more popular local AAA tournaments. The Warrior Cup and Icemen tournaments are new, but I'm guessing they will have some of the higher-calibre teams playing in them. The final brackets and participants have not been listed for any of these tournaments yet.

Minnesota Meltdown Open: April 16-19
The Warrior Cup Invitational: April 17-19 (1st Annual)
Minnesota Meltdown Invitational: April 23-26
Stars and Stripes Invitational: April 30-May 3
Minnesota AAA Independent Classic Open and Invitational: May 14-17
International Cup Invitational '95-'92: June 11-14
International Cup Invitational '00-'96: June 18-21
International Cup Open: June 25-28
Easton Cup Invitational: August 13-16
Ice Cup (Duluth): August 14-16
Easton Cup Open: August 20-23
Icemen Tournament Invitational: August 27-20 (1st Annual)
Golden Walleye Classic "Uber-Invitational": August ?-?
pro2b@3

Post by pro2b@3 »

muckandgrind wrote:

Anyone?
No single site that I know of, but it sure would be nice if there were one.

Here are the dates from some (but not all) of the more popular local AAA tournaments. The Warrior Cup and Icemen tournaments are new, but I'm guessing they will have some of the higher-calibre teams playing in them. The final brackets and participants have not been listed for any of these tournaments yet.

I'll add to MNG's:

St. Croix Cup: April 23-26
Northern Wings Showdown (Duluth): May 1-3
Battle by the Bay(Duluth): May 28-31
North American Subway Classic (Winnipeg) June 11-14
Pepsi Cup (Fargo) June 11-14
MN Flames Broiler (St. Cloud): July 24-26
St. Croix Cup August 27-30
DonnyHockey

Post by DonnyHockey »

If anybody thinks the best 30 '00 kids are split between these two teams you're kidding yourself. There will be a lot turnover in these teams the next couple years. Not all parents have their kids tryout fo these teams. There's also some parents taht want their kids to play baseball, football during the summer or can't afford the price tag. The bottom half of these two teams are pretty average players for this age group. There's one kid in our association that is playing for the '00 Machine who is middle of the pack on his Mite team. His dad is always talking about how the Machine this, Machine that, etc. We get it your kid is on the Machine. The other 4 or 5 kids which are better then this kid only 1 is playing AAA hockey this summer and he's on the Icemen and this kid didn't tryout for the MN Made teams. His dad said "no thanks, my kid isn't wearing a tie to a hockey game."

There's plenty of good talent playing on other teams or simply not playing year round.
play4fun

Post by play4fun »

DH I agree with you. That's why it should be fun to see how these tournaments play out this summer, especially among the younger year classes. With all of the new programs out there, as well as parents that are new to summer hockey, it will be interesting to see how spread out the talent is. (At least among those who play summer hockey. I get your point about those who choose not to.)
DonnyHockey

Post by DonnyHockey »

Hey I'm all about the kids having fun and a great experience. The fun factor better be high for kids playing AAA hockey.

My oldest son plays winter hockey and travel baseball. He has no interest in playing summer hockey besides a camp. He's a good player but not a great player. His love is baseball. To each their own. Who knows, maybe he'll change his mind and want to play summer hockey. It's up to him.

My sport is hockey but I'm not making my kids play more then what they want.
Last edited by DonnyHockey on Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
muckandgrind

Post by muckandgrind »

I agree that it's pretty difficult to claim that the best 2000 birth-year players in this state have been discovered and are currently playing for the Blades and Machine.

That being said, in a couple of years (maybe by the time those players are 12-13 years old), my bet is that those rosters may look a little different will probably be filled with many of the top elite players in the state. I mean, it's no coincidence that the majority of players currently on the Minnesota Gopher roster were, at some point, playing for the Blades during their youth.
dogeatdog1

Post by dogeatdog1 »

dogeatdog1 wrote:I would love to stay home and get the development. The only problem with that, and I have been around hockey for a long time, is that you get the geographic team that will develop but hit a plateau because you don't cut the bottom 4 or 5 every year and try to keep the top end kids challenged. Do I agree with this philosophy? Not really, it would be great if you could get a group of top enders to keep moving up and make a new "Miracle" team when they are 18,but kids develop at different rates and some kids will end up moving on. When you look at the Bernie board and the Blades alumni they all didn't play on the team for 10 years and get their hockey skills from the "organization". In fact some of those are on both alum lists? A lot of those kids had great experiences, learned from ALL of the teams that they played on and had opportunities that not all kids get. So that being said enjoy the opportunity that you get if you are fortunate to be asked by the elite organizations to participate. Make sure that you and your child are prepared to be let go as fast as you were asked to play and when all is said and done enjoy organization that you chose and don't take yourself or your kids talent too seriously. I wish the best of luck to the Miracle, RBK, Majicians, Edge, Sniper,Grinder, and any other fillin the blank startup teams in the metro area. You can never have enough places for kids to play if you ask me. It all has to be in perspective. ESPECIALLY When you are talking about a 2000! :wink:
My point in my original post hits home again... THESE TEAMS CUT the bottom 4-5 each year...that is how they get good. that along with development.(Kids Develop different and at different times).I don't think anyone on either of the Machine and or the Blades Staff tout themselves as having the top 30 kids in the state. They look to improve each year and that is why they compete at a high level. I have the utmost respect for your decision not to play and there will be many kids that don't fit the model for the team but I still don't see why people dog the top teams for being top teams. This is also why Bernie will have people lined up jumping out of their checkbook to get a chance to play for him. These teams don't recruit, and as far as I know never have recruited, substandard players and don't see that changing anytime soon. If you see a parent spouting the greatness of his kid cause he is on one of these teams...Hold your comments for a year or two and blast him when his kid gets cut. His tune will change... I know that at least the blades organization promotes humilityto kids and parents and really tries to keep parents heads grounded. not so sure about Bernie and the tie thing..
DonnyHockey

Post by DonnyHockey »

I don't have a son that plays AAA hockey but as far as my 2 cents wouldn't it be beneficial to all if not all the top players play on the same team or two? What fun would it be hammering teams 12-1, 10-0 every game. Just be happy there's more competition out there and the talent is dispersed for more competitive tourney's, games, etc. These kids will get more out of playing a close games than loading up a team and beating opponents by 10 goals each game.

As the kids get older then I can see having select teams that compete at their age level but not at the younger ages.
muckandgrind

Post by muckandgrind »

DonnyHockey wrote:I don't have a son that plays AAA hockey but as far as my 2 cents wouldn't it be beneficial to all if not all the top players play on the same team or two? What fun would it be hammering teams 12-1, 10-0 every game. Just be happy there's more competition out there and the talent is dispersed for more competitive tourney's, games, etc. These kids will get more out of playing a close games than loading up a team and beating opponents by 10 goals each game.

As the kids get older then I can see having select teams that compete at their age level but not at the younger ages.
It's my opinion that kids get better playing with other kids of a similar ability level. So I disagree with the philosophy of "spreading out the talent". But I also agree that it doesn't benefit anyone when you see scores of 10-0. Usually, you won't see that with the Blades or Machine because they are generally picky about which tournaments and teams they play locally. Occasionally, you might see a score like that in a "premier" AAA game, but not very often.

Tournament Directors also need to do a better job of making sure "sub par" teams that call themselves "AAA" don't enter the invitational tournaments, as well as keeping the better teams from playing in the open or "AA" tourneys. I remember last summer seeing the MN Flames win the Dynamo Shootout, which is supposed to be a "AA" tournament. They had no business even being permitted to play in that tournament.
Judgeandjury

Post by Judgeandjury »

dogeatdog1 wrote:
Judgeandjury wrote:People- I looked at who invented hockey here's what I learned. You might be shocked to find out that the Blades or Machine programs did not in fact invent hockey. One would think that these two programs would deserve such an honor. But in my studies I cannot find any truth to the fact. The dream of my son someday playing for one of these legendary programs has been crushed. I was looking forward at telling all my friends and relatives that my son plays for the Machine of Blades. I guess it's not meant to be.

Thanks for the history lesson Judge.. I alway enjoy reading about people making excuses for why their kid doesn't play for a top team.. You missed the point of my post by a mile.. But then again attorneys have a fine way of spinning their arguments to justify their existence...So you can understand where I am coming from. I was only trying to give perspective to prospective parents that everywhere you go in life you have different opportunities. Some choices are benificial and some are not. It is all what you are looking to get out of that opportunity and how you spin it to your kid. Keep your head on your shoulders because there is always someone looking to knock it off..Again I want to say that I wish the newbies luck and Competition breeds excellence so if we do happen to get a bunch of top end teams in the state we will all be better for it. Until then have your kid set realistic goals and make a team that suits your needs. Finally my mother once told me don't JUDGE others that are successful as it only makes you look jealous. :twisted:
Dog- I wish you only knew. I'm far from jealous. I actually laugh at some of these parents. (with some being the key word) You want to see some funny stuff? :lol: Watch the parents expressions after one of these two teams loses a game. I've seen happier times at a funeral. :roll: The expressions tell it all

Explain this: How do you explain the 98 Blades team when they bring in kids from other states to play in a tourney and leave the regular rostered players behind?
I can tell you that the Machine would never do this. They stick with their same roster all season.
Hockey is hockey. There's no hidden science to developing hockey players. The more they skate the more they develop.

I like the fact that kids have the passion to play hockey. If the Machine or blades suits your needs then more power to you.

Dog- Don't always believe what your parents say. Remember when they said you were a good hockey player? :wink:
dogeatdog1

Post by dogeatdog1 »

Judgey boy.. three thoughts and then I am out of this post as I think we have beaten this item to death when all that I was trying to do was give a newbie a grounded perspective.

1. I have seen mite parents loose their mind when their team doesn't win so trying to watch parents to see their reaction doesn't jerk my chain. If that is what makes you happy so be it. Besides you might have to go to Detroit or Toronto to see either of those teams lose.

2. The teams are up front with the practice players as far as I know and if they bring kids in for a tourney the parents know far ahead of time and are fine with it. If not they have a choice to not play on the team

3. My mom told me to be a ballet dancer like you (sorry I always like taking a personal shot for fun in my post)...I didn't listen. I was unstoppable on the pond...at least in my mind 8)
puckfan

Post by puckfan »

The teams are up front with the practice players as far as I know and if they bring kids in for a tourney the parents know far ahead of time and are fine with it. If not they have a choice to not play on the team
Now that is a funny statement........and nowhere near the truth if you ask some of the players from the 98 Blades (MN Meltdown and Brick).....(and yes those kids are probably not back this year)
100percenteffort

Post by 100percenteffort »

puckfan wrote:
The teams are up front with the practice players as far as I know and if they bring kids in for a tourney the parents know far ahead of time and are fine with it. If not they have a choice to not play on the team
Now that is a funny statement........and nowhere near the truth if you ask some of the players from the 98 Blades (MN Meltdown and Brick).....(and yes those kids are probably not back this year)
From what I hear the Blades coaches are up front with the families if their kid is going to be a tournamet player or not. The reason kids are brought in for tournaments is because that is how they try kids out. The Blades traditionally do not hold a formal tryout once the team gets established and they would rather bring a prospect in to see how they play in a game situation. Some kids are very good drill kids but don't have any hockey sense. If the kid can keep up and play as a team player he can certainly be developed. And yes some of the kids do not come back, some by their own will and some don't get asked. Just like everyone is saying on this thread that there is a team for everyone out there if you want to play, but you need to be on a team you can experience success.
Hockeyguy_27

Post by Hockeyguy_27 »

[quote="Judgeandjury"]
The game of hockey played on ice probably came into being in the 16th Century. quote]

I knew Arko was old but I never imagined he was 400! He doesn't look a day over 65! :lol:
MrBoDangles

Re: Have more kids and relax...

Post by MrBoDangles »

Who else? wrote:Thanks Cyclone and Miracle parents! Your 'timely, objective' posts have given us all a whole new outlook on 'your' culture.

North, south, east, west... everyone has a AAA team to play on.
A "culture" of great hockey without having to send our youth to a private school!

State HS championships since 2000

Blaine, Centennial, Anoka, Elk River = 4

private schools =4 (cake eater culture)

Roseau = 1
8)
toe drag

Post by toe drag »

This thread is unreal. Could you imagine what these 8 yr old kids would think of their parents if they read the things they posted about them...their teammates...team...etc. I know if my mom or dad acted or said these things I would quit the sport because how embarassed I would be. Drop you're kid off at the rink, go home, watch a show, pick them up and ask them how the day went. Not all of you, but there are a few folks that need to go to the looney bin!!
muckandgrind

Post by muckandgrind »

toe drag wrote:This thread is unreal. Could you imagine what these 8 yr old kids would think of their parents if they read the things they posted about them...their teammates...team...etc. I know if my mom or dad acted or said these things I would quit the sport because how embarassed I would be. Drop you're kid off at the rink, go home, watch a show, pick them up and ask them how the day went. Not all of you, but there are a few folks that need to go to the looney bin!!
If they are only 8 years old, who will tie their skates if you just drop them off? And if you have to tie their skates, does it make sense for you to get back into your car and drive all the way home only to have to turn right around when you get home and go back up to the rink? Isn't that just a plain waste of gas?? :P

Isn't it a better idea to use that time to get to better know the other parents of your child's teammates?
low stick

Post by low stick »

1 GAME IN THE BOOKS SO FAR

MACHINE 6 -- BLADES 3
MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles »

low stick wrote:1 GAME IN THE BOOKS SO FAR

MACHINE 6 -- BLADES 3
Does anyone have the score for the 2000 championship game?