98 Fire hold on for win over STMA

Discussion of Minnesota Youth Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

keep skating

98 Fire hold on for win over STMA

Post by keep skating »

I heard today at work that the 98 Fire played St. Michael/Albertville on Monday night and they only won 1-0. I would like to hear the details from those at the game. Congrats to STMA a program with only 45-50 squirts to play with the big dogs.
goinbardown

Post by goinbardown »

The 98 Fire aren't that good. To say they can beat any Minnesota team is rediculous and if they win Bloomington I'll drop dead as for they'd have to beat Edina Green, Rosemount, and Wayzata.
hockey talkie

Post by hockey talkie »

Congratulations to the Fire for winning two national tournaments against an incredible field of teams from all over the country, Canada, and Russia! Congratulations to the Fire for winning the North Metro Tournament. Congratulations to the Fire for beating both Edina and Wayzata in scrimmage play. Congratulations to the Fire for beating St. Michael. 28-0. 160+ goals for and like 14?15? goals against. Incredible. Not that good - whatever! :lol:
100percenteffort

Post by 100percenteffort »

Why are we even comparing a hand picked team that has been playing together for 2+ years to a STMA team that might have 5 games under their belt. The fact the fire have played 28 games already is a huge advantage against any other association team. The fact is .....I could hand pick a team from the various associations around the city that would beat the 98 Fire without a problem after having the same amount of games played. Let's stop comparing the Mach...oops Fire to association hockey. Great job STMA!!!!!
muckandgrind

Post by muckandgrind »

I wish people would quit dogging on the Machine/Fire. They are a very good team,and compete well nationally. Yes, they are "hand picked" as you say, but when you step outside of our lovely state, THAT IS HOW IT'S DONE. THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH THAT!!! These kids are having fun doing what they are doing...isn't that supposed to be what it's about?

Man, I'm not sure if it's snobbery or just plain ol' envy, but the ripping of the Fire (and other AAA programs) is getting out of hand.

Some people need to come to grips with the fact that association hockey is not for everyone. There are many reasons a family would want to look elsewhere for hockey options. Not everyone has the luxury of playing in a large, well-run association.

And for those who think that the way things are done in Minnesota is superior to other states and is just peaches and cream have it all wrong. There is no level playing field in Minnesota. Not all associations are the same. The general rule is that big associations will always dominate over the small ones (unless you're talking Roseau). Personally, I love the fact that some kids from outlying associations can get together on a good team and take it to the Wayzata's and Edina's.
100percenteffort

Post by 100percenteffort »

Muckandgrind- Nobody is "bashing" the fire. I personally think it is fine that you are able to play year round against other Tier 1 teams and Yes people do understand that this is how other states are doing it. But, Minnesota has the luxury for thousands of kids to play, develop and compete within our state while keeping costs under control.

The problem people are having is when you BRAG about beating association teams in tournaments and games. The fire chooses ANY kid form the entire state of Wisconsin and the entire state of Minnesota while associations are only able to choose within their commuity or "burb".

If you can play anywhere in the US, why are you playing in association tournaments anyways? You say quote "There is no level playing field in Minnesota." Then why are you adding to that? Do you think you provide level play? If so, play for an association, if not, keep doing what you are doing and have fun.

And please stop saying quote" Personally, I love the fact that some kids from outlying associations can get together on a good team and take it to the Wayzata's and Edina's." Outlying associations?? Your team mostly consists of kids from Minnetonka, Wayzeta, Lakeville, Prior Lake, Eagan etc... Nobody considers these "outlying" association!

At any rate...Good luck with the rest of your Tier one season.
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

Congrats to Paul Berning and his crew from STMA...

Okay so what was the score..? 1-0 or 26-0....
muckandgrind

Post by muckandgrind »

100percenteffort wrote:Muckandgrind- Nobody is "bashing" the fire. I personally think it is fine that you are able to play year round against other Tier 1 teams and Yes people do understand that this is how other states are doing it. But, Minnesota has the luxury for thousands of kids to play, develop and compete within our state while keeping costs under control.

The problem people are having is when you BRAG about beating association teams in tournaments and games. The fire chooses ANY kid form the entire state of Wisconsin and the entire state of Minnesota while associations are only able to choose within their commuity or "burb".

If you can play anywhere in the US, why are you playing in association tournaments anyways? You say quote "There is no level playing field in Minnesota." Then why are you adding to that? Do you think you provide level play? If so, play for an association, if not, keep doing what you are doing and have fun.

And please stop saying quote" Personally, I love the fact that some kids from outlying associations can get together on a good team and take it to the Wayzata's and Edina's." Outlying associations?? Your team mostly consists of kids from Minnetonka, Wayzeta, Lakeville, Prior Lake, Eagan etc... Nobody considers these "outlying" association!

At any rate...Good luck with the rest of your Tier one season.
Some of the kids come from the big programs, but there are many others who don't. In fact, some of the best players in the state come from the smaller associations, but choose to play Tier I for the better competition.

Neither of my two boys play Tier I during the winter season, but I would never begrudge others who do.

And as far as bragging goes....so what, LET them brag. When Edina beats Orono, or Centennial beats Mahtomedi there is bragging going on. If the Green Bay Jr Gamblers beat Wayzata in a tournament, are you saying they have no right to brag about it? Sure they do. If the big associations are allowed to brag over beating small associations, then AAA teams have the right to brag about beating the big associations.
goinbardown

Post by goinbardown »

hockey talkie wrote:Congratulations to the Fire for winning two national tournaments against an incredible field of teams from all over the country, Canada, and Russia! Congratulations to the Fire for winning the North Metro Tournament. Congratulations to the Fire for beating both Edina and Wayzata in scrimmage play. Congratulations to the Fire for beating St. Michael. 28-0. 160+ goals for and like 14?15? goals against. Incredible. Not that good - whatever! :lol:
I've noticed that the Fire aren't beating the MN teams by all that much. So what does that have to say about the rest of the countrys hockey?
itsmorefun

Post by itsmorefun »

Im confused when people comment that the Fire teams are "hand picked" and have the "best kids." I've had experience at most levels of the Fire and they "rarely" hand pick the best players from the respective associations... mostly the kids who show up to tryouts make the team... and mostly it turns out to be parents who are looking for something different - not necessarily that their child was the best in their association -sometimes yes... but very often thats not the case. There are very few who get turned away.

What makes the Fire successful is the number of ice hours they are able to offer to their families and the level of competition the kids play... They DEVELOP players more often because they have more ice time to do it... so YES... over time, they will TURN OUT to be your better players. You'd be surprised at how many of your best high school hockey players, who can really play the game well, played for the Fire at some point. Somebody check last years high school hockey state tournament and the kids who scored the most points... you'd be surprised at how many played for the Fire...
keep skating

Post by keep skating »

Sorry to start this post. I just wanted a couple highlights of the game and how STMA held the Fire to 1 goal. I didn't intend to bash anyone. Hey Superstar can you give me Paul's phone number so I can get the highlights :lol: :lol: ?
iwearmysunglassesatnight

Post by iwearmysunglassesatnight »

Let them play... at the 98' level many of them are 1st year squirts.. thus facing the top teams of predominately 2nd years squirts, and possibly half of which are 97's... I am sure your larger associations are looking forward to that competitive game against them.

As to hand picked, I don't think so. I am sure many player Bernie, err ahh the Fire want, they don't get. Minnetonka maybe more hand picked, by only having 13 skaters on the Squirt A team. That to me sounds more about winning Fargo, then developing young kids. 8O some tryout and field 13 skaters.. shame shame shame
Was a duster and paying for it?????
buttend

Re: 98 Fire hold on for win over STMA

Post by buttend »

keep skating wrote:I heard today at work that the 98 Fire played St. Michael/Albertville on Monday night and they only won 1-0. I would like to hear the details from those at the game. Congrats to STMA a program with only 45-50 squirts to play with the big dogs.
Lets not make the "under"dog smaller than they are when they are going against the "big" dogs. STMA has over 60+ squirts. That's about the same size of most metro Associatons except the Super Associations. But you knew that already being a STMA parent/coach/follower.
100precenteffort wrote:The problem people are having is when you BRAG about beating association teams in tournaments and games.
This post was started by a STMA parent/coach/follower who wanted to get their team some ink on this board because they played the "BigDogs" 98 Fire close.
goinbardown wrote:The 98 Fire aren't that good. To say they can beat any Minnesota team is rediculous and if they win Bloomington I'll drop dead as for they'd have to beat Edina Green, Rosemount, and Wayzata.

I've noticed that the Fire aren't beating the MN teams by all that much.

Edina Green aren't that good. they lost in a scrimmage to the Fire and barely beat their sister (White )team last week 6-4. Everybody has had their way with that White team

Wayzata arent that good they lost to the Fire and tied Maple Grove. 3-3

98 Fire is 6-0 against SqA teams scoring 33 goals and giving up 2 goals against. Excluding scrimmages wins against Edina and Wayzata, yea...those 10 year olds are not playing well

In the BIG tournament that bracket is stacked. Nice of the tournment committee to place argueably the 4 top teams in one bracket. Tourney winner in this bracket? Probably

Minnetonka, now thats your sleeper team this season. I wonder how they ever convinced their Hockey Committee that only 13 skaters were good enough for that "A "team.
My_Kid_Loves_Hockey

Post by My_Kid_Loves_Hockey »

Lets not make the "under"dog smaller than they are when they are going against the "big" dogs. STMA has over 60+ squirts. That's about the same size of most metro Associatons except the Super Associations. But you knew that already being a STMA parent/coach/follower.
I am a STMA coach/parent/follower.......sorry people are riding you a bit too much on the board. Couldn't just say our kids played your squad well and leave it at that?

FYI our Squirts have 61 total players on 4 team, 9 of them are move ups to get close to 15 on a team at the C level and thankfully 2 girls moved over from the 10U program so by my math that is 50 squirts.
GoldenBear

Post by GoldenBear »

scrimmage wins over Edina and Wayzata? Is this winning one on one's out of four corners? Or is it the victory during the 3 on 3 small ice games (east end or west end of rink)? Or is it winning during the 15 minute scrimmage where no offsides/penalties are called and whistles for teaching moments occupy some of the time.

Don't puff the victory total. I may be wrong but Edina and Wayzata only did shared practices against the fire.

Who really cares!!
gilmour

Post by gilmour »

The Fire - they are good...their record is worth bragging about...doesn't mean that a MN SqA team can't beat them though.

STMA - hard working team...don't take them lightly - they do a very good job in the defensive zone.

MTKA - their top 6 are as good as any top 6 in the metro...for them to only have 13 skaters they should expect to be questioned about their intentions.

Edina Green - very good team...suprised by the 6 to 4 score with White...guess I would chalk it up to that it is squirts and with player rotations happening throughout the year these teams can have peaks and valleys in the performance/scores.

Squirts = Development...some coaches will lose focus and start making decisions for the wrong reasons...imo coaches that stay focused on development will be better teams in the long run.

Top Metro Squirt Teams - not in any particular order (ranking)
Edina Green
Roseville
STMA
Wayzata
Minnetonka
Eden Prarie
Rosemount
Elk River
Spring Lake Park
WBL
Chaska
Stillwater

Unknowns - Armstrong?
Toomuchtoosoon

Post by Toomuchtoosoon »

Nothing like bringing up the Fire or MM to get the battle lines drawn. It is especially fun when they are one and the same. It is laughable that the parents get so obnoxios about the whole subject, which means they are living through the accomplishments of their kids.

Some Observations;
This group of 98's play like pit bulls on crack. Why win by 10 when you can win by 20? They don't stop, are very skilled for their age, and probably get twice as much quality ice time as the standard "A" player on average.

I have seen the parents during a blow out and they are not one bit shy about their kids running up the score. They appear to rather enjoy it.

These kids get along great and will probably stay together for awhile, at least until their parents or the kids get burnt out.

It will be interesting to see what happens with this group when puberty hits. Will they spilt up the team if some kids stop growing/developing and cannot play at their same relative level. Will they start recruiting other kids to make up for the ones who can no longer play at a high level, or just go after a kid who just happens to be better.

There is no need to gloat or get defensive over this team. The kids will have wonderful memories of their accomplishments and times together as a team. The parents can be over the top, but that is true everywhere. Some may become well known hockey studs in the next decade, others will not.

It appears that the more money that is spent on a sport by a parent, they feel they have a right to justify that expense by flaunting their succes, which only just makes people more resentful.

Get over it, this to will pass.
muckandgrind

Post by muckandgrind »

Toomuchtoosoon wrote:Nothing like bringing up the Fire or MM to get the battle lines drawn. It is especially fun when they are one and the same. It is laughable that the parents get so obnoxios about the whole subject, which means they are living through the accomplishments of their kids.

Some Observations;
This group of 98's play like pit bulls on crack. Why win by 10 when you can win by 20? They don't stop, are very skilled for their age, and probably get twice as much quality ice time as the standard "A" player on average.

I have seen the parents during a blow out and they are not one bit shy about their kids running up the score. They appear to rather enjoy it.

These kids get along great and will probably stay together for awhile, at least until their parents or the kids get burnt out.

It will be interesting to see what happens with this group when puberty hits. Will they spilt up the team if some kids stop growing/developing and cannot play at their same relative level. Will they start recruiting other kids to make up for the ones who can no longer play at a high level, or just go after a kid who just happens to be better.

There is no need to gloat or get defensive over this team. The kids will have wonderful memories of their accomplishments and times together as a team. The parents can be over the top, but that is true everywhere. Some may become well known hockey studs in the next decade, others will not.

It appears that the more money that is spent on a sport by a parent, they feel they have a right to justify that expense by flaunting their succes, which only just makes people more resentful.

Get over it, this to will pass.
There's also nothing like speaking in generalities. The percentage of obnoxious parents are the same, whether you are talking about AAA or Wayzata, Edina "A" parents, or any other association team for that matter.

What happens when these kids hit puberty? Who knows for sure? But if looking at the past provides any indication for the future (and it does), then a large percentage of these kids will grow into pretty d@mn good hockey players....
woogieboogiewoogie

Re: 98 Fire hold on for win over STMA

Post by woogieboogiewoogie »

keep skating wrote:I heard today at work that the 98 Fire played St. Michael/Albertville on Monday night and they only won 1-0. I would like to hear the details from those at the game. Congrats to STMA a program with only 45-50 squirts to play with the big dogs.
Was at the game as a spectator not a parent. Very fast paced game. Both teams passed and played positions exceptionally well for Squirt hockey.
STMA had a goal called off due to a high stick. Ref made the right call. The only goal scored came from a great pass up the ice by the Fire goalie while STMA were changing lines. The only thing that seem to stand out was the Ref's took a little too long to blow the whistle when the STMA goalie had the puck covered(probable 4 or 5 times).Don't know if it was because the Ref couldn't see the puck or what. As in any game there were a couple of questionable penalties against STMA(some Fire parents agreed). The 98 Fire parents were respectful and didn't over cheer and were very nice to talk to. STMA definitely had their chances to put the puck in the net but didn't do it. STMA definitely dominated the last 2 plus minutes of the game and came close to scoring mulitple times. Not sure how long each practice is for the Fire but you could tell they were well conditioned as were most of the STMA players. STMA's goalie had a great game made some nice saves. STMA's Defense and back checking were great along with their penalty kill. 98 Fire goalie had a great game as well made quite a few nice saves. Overall the game was fun to watch and was worth the time to go and watch. I would definitely like the see these two teams play again later in the season. Great job by all the kids!!
hockey_is_a_choice

Post by hockey_is_a_choice »

My_Kid_Loves_Hockey wrote:
FYI our Squirts have 61 total players on 4 team, 9 of them are move ups to get close to 15 on a team at the C level and thankfully 2 girls moved over from the 10U program so by my math that is 50 squirts.
In Garrison Keillor's Lake Wobegon, a/k/a, St. Michael/Albertville,"all the women are strong, all the men are good-looking and all the [Squirt hockey players] are above-average." :)
keep skating

Post by keep skating »

Thanks Boggie for the recap, that's all I was looking for when I started it. Let's put this thread to rest.
Hockey911

Post by Hockey911 »

98 Fire goalie Edquist is the real deal.
Bruins

Post by Bruins »

Any scores yet from the 98 Fire St.Louis trip?
nMN

Post by nMN »

Bruins wrote:Any scores yet from the 98 Fire St.Louis trip?
12/28/2008 98 AAA Blues 3 Wisconsin Fire AAA 2
12/27/2008 98 AAA Blues 5 Wisconsin Fire AAA 1
12/27/2008 98 AAA Blues 2 Wisconsin Fire AAA 2
12/26/2008 98 AAA Blues 3 Wisconsin Fire AAA 1
Bruins

Post by Bruins »

Ouch! Thanks for the scores.