Everybody crying about section 1AA's state participant?

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

minnesotahockeyfan

Everybody crying about section 1AA's state participant?

Post by minnesotahockeyfan »

Alot of people crying on here how its not fair that Lakeville will have a team in the state tournament.

Being that Lakeville South beat Rosemount 2 weeks ago, and has a better resume than Cloquet....

Is it fair if one of those teams make it?

:roll: :roll:
O-townClown

Re: Everybody crying about section 1AA's state participant?

Post by O-townClown »

Poor Imitation wrote:Alot of people crying on here how its not fair that Lakeville will have a team in the state tournament.

Being that Lakeville South beat Rosemount 2 weeks ago, and has a better resume than Cloquet....

Section I is very weak in relation to the other AA sections.

I don't see a big problem if you realize how tight the sections are geographically.

1 is the South, 2 is the SW suburbs of MSP and 3 through 6 are counter-clockwise around the cities. 7 is the NE of the state and 8 is NW.

Rather than blame 1 for being lousy, the complaint should be against MSHSL for having tight geographic lines.

If they went for competitive balance it would be necessary to gerrymander and the system would be ripe for corruption.

Is it 'fair' that the W suburbs only had once spot so Minnetonka stays home while one of the Lakevilles makes it? No, but it isn't unfair either. Too bad, but that's how it works.

As for your point about Lakeville being better than someone...they aren't very good and will get drilled in the quarters. If they draw Edina or Roseau it will be embarrassing.
Be kind. Rewind.
goldy313

Post by goldy313 »

Is it fair Minnetonka has a booster who built their rink?

Is it fair Minnetonka's football coach is paid more than any football coach in the state outside of Chilly and Brewster?

Is it fair the Dallas Morning News has an article defending their practices in HS football using Minnetonka as an example of how things are worse elsewhere?

Minnetonka has no argument.
deacon

Post by deacon »

goldy313 wrote:Is it fair Minnetonka has a booster who built their rink?

Is it fair Minnetonka's football coach is paid more than any football coach in the state outside of Chilly and Brewster?

Is it fair the Dallas Morning News has an article defending their practices in HS football using Minnetonka as an example of how things are worse elsewhere?

please post some links of this stuff, sounds interesting.
Teak

Post by Teak »

This link may be what you are looking for:
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/preps/fo ... over_x.htm
Teak

Post by Teak »

Okay, not the particular article from Dallas, but in the same vein:
http://www.youthlacrosseusa.com/hsnews/ ... srace.html
hockeyxprt1

Post by hockeyxprt1 »

What does this have to do with section assignments in high school hockey?
rbk28

Post by rbk28 »

Poor Imitation wrote:Alot of people crying on here how its not fair that Lakeville will have a team in the state tournament.

I'm glad they beat Rosemount. Cloquet won't beat anoka....the only thing I can say is that a team with 11 losses doesn't deserve to be there.
Neutron 14

Post by Neutron 14 »

The MSHSL has repeatedly said that they do not and will not competitively balance sections and geographical representation is their purpose. Quit whining about it, you sound like northerners complaining about Anoka.
The only soft spot I see is the one between my legs
DmanDad1980

Section 1 - Region 1 of yesterday

Post by DmanDad1980 »

Years go by and each year, there will always be one or two sections that are going to be down. Every section has a year where only one or two teams could compete at State, and sometimes none of the teams deserve a spot at the dance. Some sections more than others...
Examples:
Section 1: Either a Lakeville squad or a Rochester team... Rochester's youth program gets divided into 4 high schools, but Century showed us last year that a Rochester team can compete at State. Lakeville's youth program is getting better each year, and the city is growing fast...
Section 3: Rosemount, this may be their year. Woodbury is growing and has shown glimpses. Cretin has the tradition and success to dominate this section, but has not been consistent year after year. Eastview has a good program, but have they won many games at state, no.
Section 7: Much past success from this section w/ East, Rapids, Anoka and Elk River, but this section has been sporatic at state at times.
Section 8: Two teams and two teams only: Roseau & Moorhead, and if they both are down, it's not pretty...
There are examples of down years in each section, some moe than others...

Many of you can't or don't want to remember this, but in the late 70's and 80's, Region 1 was a power area: Bloomington Jefferson, Kennedy, Lincoln, Burnsville, Apple Valley, Rochester John Marshall & Mayo.
Ahhhh, and you know what, people were crying that only one team could go to state from that section!

Things are cyclical, always will be. Lets keep our fingers off the resectioning. At the State Tournament, we need to have a team from the NW, we need to have a team from the NE/north metro, and we need to have a representative from the South/south metro. Stop complaining and enjoy what we have, and that is the best High School Tournament in the nation! Better than Texas Football, and better than Indiana Basketball, right here, Minnesota High School Hockey! :D
Gov78

Post by Gov78 »

deacon wrote:
Not true, there were a number of boosters who donated money to get the project off the ground but for the most part the current users are footing the bill as there's a mortgage on the place that's being paid off.

Ask a Minnetonka youth parent if they think hockey's cheap because they have their own facility. Ave cost for season is $1300-1500 a kid.

Now back to the original question..........
OGEE OGELTHORPE

Post by OGEE OGELTHORPE »

Neutron 14 wrote:The MSHSL has repeatedly said that they do not and will not competitively balance sections and geographical representation is their purpose. Quit whining about it, you sound like northerners complaining about Anoka.
northeasteners

Hey Neutron I'm thinking Centennial/Roseau Quarter Final.
Neutron 14

Post by Neutron 14 »

OGEE OGELTHORPE wrote:
Neutron 14 wrote:The MSHSL has repeatedly said that they do not and will not competitively balance sections and geographical representation is their purpose. Quit whining about it, you sound like northerners complaining about Anoka.
northeasteners

Mostly Ironheads, but a few flannel brains have chimed in. If Centennial gets by Blaine, I'm hoping Quarters. We want to be "The One!" :lol: :shock:
DmanDad1980

Post by DmanDad1980 »

Neutron 14 wrote:
OGEE OGELTHORPE wrote:
northeasteners

Mostly Ironheads, but a few flannel brains have chimed in. If Centennial gets by Blaine, I'm hoping Quarters. We want to be "The One!" :lol: :shock:
I don't know, can Aus outcoach Oliver... :wink:
MNRinkRat

Post by MNRinkRat »

rbk28 wrote:

I'm glad they beat Rosemount. Cloquet won't beat anoka....the only thing I can say is that a team with 11 losses doesn't deserve to be there.
What? Cloquet doesn't deserve to be there? They beat Elk River, Duluth East and if they make it they have to go through Anoka. I'd say if they make it they most likely deserve to be there. Not to mention they have lost in the sections finals the last couple years. It is the Lumberjacks time.
Let's Play Hockey
Neutron 14

Post by Neutron 14 »

DmanDad1980 wrote:
Neutron 14 wrote:
OGEE OGELTHORPE wrote: northeasteners

OK, that was funny! :lol:
DmanDad1980

Post by DmanDad1980 »

Neutron 14 wrote:
DmanDad1980 wrote:
Neutron 14 wrote: Mostly Ironheads, but a few flannel brains have chimed in. If Centennial gets by Blaine, I'm hoping Quarters. We want to be "The One!" :lol: :shock:
OK, that was funny! :lol:
You're welcome! Hey, I made Neut laugh...
Aus is a good man, known him since high school days... Like his teams every year, good program!
Bucky

Re: Section 1 - Region 1 of yesterday

Post by Bucky »

DmanDad1980 wrote:Years go by and each year, there will always be one or two sections that are going to be down. Every section has a year where only one or two teams could compete at State, and sometimes none of the teams deserve a spot at the dance. Some sections more than others...
Examples:
Section 1: Either a Lakeville squad or a Rochester team... Rochester's youth program gets divided into 4 high schools, but Century showed us last year that a Rochester team can compete at State. Lakeville's youth program is getting better each year, and the city is growing fast...
Section 3: Rosemount, this may be their year. Woodbury is growing and has shown glimpses. Cretin has the tradition and success to dominate this section, but has not been consistent year after year. Eastview has a good program, but have they won many games at state, no.
Section 7: Much past success from this section w/ East, Rapids, Anoka and Elk River, but this section has been sporatic at state at times.
Section 8: Two teams and two teams only: Roseau & Moorhead, and if they both are down, it's not pretty...
There are examples of down years in each section, some moe than others...

Many of you can't or don't want to remember this, but in the late 70's and 80's, Region 1 was a power area: Bloomington Jefferson, Kennedy, Lincoln, Burnsville, Apple Valley, Rochester John Marshall & Mayo.
Ahhhh, and you know what, people were crying that only one team could go to state from that section!

Things are cyclical, always will be. Lets keep our fingers off the resectioning. At the State Tournament, we need to have a team from the NW, we need to have a team from the NE/north metro, and we need to have a representative from the South/south metro. Stop complaining and enjoy what we have, and that is the best High School Tournament in the nation! Better than Texas Football, and better than Indiana Basketball, right here, Minnesota High School Hockey! :D

Insightful Reply
STEV16

Post by STEV16 »

The competition compared to Section 1 AA and any other is not even close to the same level.
DmanDad1980

Post by DmanDad1980 »

STEV16 wrote:The competition compared to Section 1 AA and any other is not even close to the same level.
last year it was better, this year its bad, next year who knows...

Like I said it goes in cycles my friend...
hockeylover

Post by hockeylover »

Lakeville South is a good team this year. I think what bothers people is that other sections have their ups and downs but that one is usually always weak and with Rochester have Century and Lakeville splitting they are diluted a bit more. Lakeville with probably do fine at state but it is hard watching some other sections battle in OT against top 10 teams and they get a very easy path. It is what it is, but the 1AA teams and fans are going to have to put with a little grief from others during the process after all you have the last laugh.
DasCondor

Post by DasCondor »

hockeylover wrote:Lakeville South is a good team this year. I think what bothers people is that other sections have their ups and downs but that one is usually always weak and with Rochester have Century and Lakeville splitting they are diluted a bit more. Lakeville with probably do fine at state but it is hard watching some other sections battle in OT against top 10 teams and they get a very easy path. It is what it is, but the 1AA teams and fans are going to have to put with a little grief from others during the process after all you have the last laugh.
minnetonka beat lakeville south this year 6-0 and im sure benilde/edina/roseau can do the same, LS isnt even a top ten team in state
hockeylover

Post by hockeylover »

I would agree DasCondor but with their goalie they can be in a lot of games they shouldn't. They started slower because I think they were missing a couple of players. The fact that Lakeville North is in a section final is a travesty, the fact that is wasn't even difficult for them to get there is just way to painful for teams like Jefferson, Eastview, and EP.
hockeyminn

Post by hockeyminn »

The state tourney should have the best 8 teams in the state. Why not put some southern metro teams in this section? (Lakeville already there - how about adding Rosemount, Eastview, Apple Valley, Hastings, Prior Lake, Burnsville - one or two of those teams would make this section competitive at the state tournament.) It is a joke that Lakeville South will be in the state tourney when so many high caliber teams are not.
O-townClown

sorry

Post by O-townClown »

hockeyminn wrote:The state tourney should have the best 8 teams in the state.
Unless they do away with sectional qualifiers that will never happen.
Be kind. Rewind.