MATT NISKANEN

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

formerallstar

MATT NISKANEN

Post by formerallstar »

This might get move but I figured I would start it up anyway......

Matt Niskanen, a defenseman standout on the Virginia-MIB high school team and currently a sophomore at UMD, has announce he will for go his junior and senior years of college to head to the pros. I guess he will start out at the AHL affiliate of Dallas.

Note-Mason Raymond a sophmore at UMD has also decided to leave.
boblee

post 7364

Post by boblee »

congrats Matty, good luck in the pros.
Little Falls Fan

Post by Little Falls Fan »

I'm skocked at this move for Matt. :shock:

I just don't think he is ready for the step up from college. I dont think Matt will ever see any NHL time, the only way i think he would play in the NHL is if there was some freak accident and all of Dallas's defensemen were injured.

So i don't think this is the right move for Matt or Dallas because their getting an average player.
formerallstar

Post by formerallstar »

Little Falls Fan wrote:I'm skocked at this move for Matt. :shock:

I just don't think he is ready for the step up from college. I dont think Matt will ever see any NHL time, the only way i think he would play in the NHL is if there was some freak accident and all of Dallas's defensemen were injured.

So i don't think this is the right move for Matt or Dallas because their getting an average player.
Did ya ever see the kid play, you do live way down in Little Falls right? I am pretty sure Mr. Niskanen will end up in the NHL.
warrior2132

Post by warrior2132 »

I Think it might take Niskanen a few years before he gets the chance. He has a lot of room for improvement but if improves quick we could see him there within a couple years
shooter57

Post by shooter57 »

Didn't Matt lead the league(WCHA)and/or nation(D-1) in PP points, goals, and/or assists! Very impressive player. He will play in the "Bigs" soon! Do your homework before you throw the negative crap around guys...
shooter57

Post by shooter57 »

Oh, and didn't he play on a Gold medal winning World Junior Championship team! You guys must have him confused with someone else.
DmnHawk5

Post by DmnHawk5 »

looks like UMD will be hurting even more next year, ouch.
anthony20

Post by anthony20 »

I have seen Matt play plenty of times and even played rink hockey with him out at the Buhl rink a few times. This kid is good. But I think its a bad move on his part. Finish College buddy! Yeah he will need to do a bunch of improving to be able to be decent in the pros. But I think it will take him a good 3 or 4 years to be recognized in the NHL.
Gopher Blog

Post by Gopher Blog »

Offensively, Niskanen is a good player. Defensively, the kid was not good this year. Of course, UMD as a whole wasn't very good for much of the year but Niskanen really struggled in the defensive zone for a good chunk of the year. From what I could add up from the stats, his plus/minus rating on the year was a -19. :shock:

He'll have to pick it up defensively if he is going to stick in the NHL in the long run. I suspect it will be at least a year or two before he sees consistent shifts in the NHL unless some drastic improvement happens.
gatzke

Post by gatzke »

no brainer on matt's part. UMD hockey has been a sinking ship for the last couple years. Get out and play with some talent since he knows he's NHL bound anyway. GOOD LUCK to the range boy.
UMDHockey

Post by UMDHockey »

Nisky was in a no win situation here when it comes to the money aspect. With the new rookie caps you have to go when they offer the money. The max signing bonus is 85,000 and I think the max contract is something like 275,000 a year or 65,000 if he ends up in the AHL all year. You can't make more than that, so if you say no, then you are giving away at least 65,000. When players like Leopold would stay that extra year if they had a huge year they could double or triple their offer to make up for that money by having a big year. That option is no longer there. I also believe that Dallas wanted him badly since they have only 1 offensive defensemen in their system.
eazy1415

Post by eazy1415 »

Today in the DULUTH NEWS TRIBUNE it said the Dallas Stars signed UMD defenseman Matt Niskanen to a three-year contract Monday. Nothing was said about the money part of the contract.
boblee

post 7410

Post by boblee »

eazy1415 wrote:Today in the DULUTH NEWS TRIBUNE it said the Dallas Stars signed UMD defenseman Matt Niskanen to a three-year contract Monday. Nothing was said about the money part of the contract.
Matty will do great and work his way up to the NHL.
boblee

post 8366

Post by boblee »

Looks like Matt will be wearing #5 for the big club this season.
nikebauer_07

Post by nikebauer_07 »

Picked up his first NHL points last Friday netting two assists..
breakout

Post by breakout »

nikebauer_07 wrote:Picked up his first NHL points last Friday netting two assists..

I thought I read that Matt was an all around athlete in high school. Can anyone confirm?

I heard Matt is dedicated and hard working hockey player. He has earned the right to be in the NHL. Nice story.
Gopher Blog

Post by Gopher Blog »

breakout wrote:I thought I read that Matt was an all around athlete in high school. Can anyone confirm?
Yes, he was a three sport athlete. He also played baseball and football at Virginia.
breakout

Post by breakout »

Gopher Blog wrote:
breakout wrote:I thought I read that Matt was an all around athlete in high school. Can anyone confirm?
Yes, he was a three sport athlete. He also played baseball and football at Virginia.

I find it interesting that the up north lads that make it to the college ranks and beyond seem to play multiple sports. Where the city lads often limit themselves and pour a lot of money into hockey training/development (parent driven???).

Regardless of the avenue taken, the cream seems to rise to the top.

By the way, I am surprised by the stats you provided regarding Matt's plus/minus. Not arguing............just surprised.
Gopher Blog

Post by Gopher Blog »

breakout wrote:By the way, I am surprised by the stats you provided regarding Matt's plus/minus. Not arguing............just surprised.
Yeah, I have to admit I am surprised he made the big club this fast. Mainly because he was pretty bad last year in his own zone. Maybe the coaching had to do with his poor play? Maybe he was lacking some confidence? It is tough to say. It could be a few things. But he obviously stepped up his game in the defensive zone since last college season ended.