Competition is good.

The Only Forum for Non-Hockey Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Knowlzee

Competition is good.

Post by Knowlzee »

Got out of my box this morning for a run, usually around a large block (live in a box, might as well run in a box also). I was cruising at a rather easy pace and was passed by a lady (not a young track girl, but a lady). Passed and said, "good morning".

On the back leg, I was warmed up by now, and she wasn't too far ahead, so I decided to try to catch her by the corner. I picked it up and passed her about midway, and held on to the corner, but I was fatigued. I still had the lead, but with a little under half way to go.

Several times on the side and final leg she got close, but each time I was able to pick it up and maintain the lead. I won.

Had it not been for the competition, I would never have worked that hard today. Competition makes us better. And it was FUN, too. So think about that when when you hear the silly statement, "that it should be fun for the kids". Competition drives us to work harder and be better,.....and is fun. Competition is good.
Can't Never Tried

Post by Can't Never Tried »

(live in a box, might as well run in a box also).
Better then running in circles if you know what I mean ! :lol:

8)
packerboy

Post by packerboy »

Congrats on your big win Knowlzee.

I can see it now in the headlines" Man arrested for chasing women out for a run" or " Man taunts housewives challenging them to a race".

But you are right. There is a lot of fun in trying hard to win, whether you do or not. Thats the message sports should send to kids. Not "Its playtime, lets have treats afterwards"
ChrisK

Post by ChrisK »

Actually I think you have to have both. Competition can be fun but so is playing the game itself. I don't have a problem with competition particularly as kids get older, learning how to win is a skill just like catching a ball and learning how to deal with losing is a life lesson.

There should be a place though for those kids that love the game but just want to play for fun. Back in the day, we'd all gather at the sandlot, pick teams and play till everyone had to leave to eat. In today's world, most parents aren't comfortable letting their kids run around on their own till they're 12 or so. Maybe a 'league' or whatever could be set up that would have kid-run games, with the kids picking the teams, self umpiring and adults on hand only to make sure the kids were wearing helmets. Sort of like open hockey and if you got a bunch of competitive kids, I'm sure they'd keep score and if not, it'd be for fun.