Advanced 16's & 17's

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

2pipesnin

Post by 2pipesnin »

My son played on the 17's and I will agree with both of you. At times there was some great individual efforts and at time there was some great team play. And then there were times when a player should have passed the puck. (and propapble would have if this were not another tryout) But that's what you will get at a tryout.

In the first round of tryouts some of the studs did dominate the ice, but once you got to this weekend it was harder and harder for those players to get lose and the players away from the puck were also more skilled and much smarter.

The final 51, I beleive is comprised of 3 teams of 17 = 51
hockeyguy99

Post by hockeyguy99 »

From what I saw of the 17's, the pace of the games were very fast. The '90 group is very talented and very deep compared to the 91's.
sexytimeisnice

Post by sexytimeisnice »

Does anybody have a recap for the 16's
gmoola89

Post by gmoola89 »

any predictions for final 51? 16s or 17s?
McPlayer56

Post by McPlayer56 »

I know section 6 beat section 8 in the final. Oliver from Roseau looked good for 8 and two Edina kids and this Chaska kid looked good for 6
Great88

Post by Great88 »

My son was playing 16's but I did get a chance to watch 17's...no doubt there were some fine hockey players...saw 6AA vs 8AA thought both teams were good but 6AA was incredible...8AA had a more equal team but their defense besides a couple were swallowed by 6AA forwards. Also saw 4AA play 8AA...both teams had some talented kids but he defense for 4AA let em down...4AA seemed to have alot of
Anoka kids and 8AA was top heavey with most of their players from Roseau/Moorhead and Buffalo...

The 17's were much faster and the talent i thought was unreal...especially 5AA and 6AA as those kids can fly..
The Exiled One

Post by The Exiled One »

McPlayer56 wrote:I know section 6 beat section 8 in the final. Oliver from Roseau looked good for 8 and two Edina kids and this Chaska kid looked good for 6
I talked to somebody who saw the game who claims that both coaches were trying to match up the Oliver and Budish lines. They both centered, correct? Can anybody comment on how they compared to eachother?

Oh, and does anybody have the Section 4 roster for the 17's? Thanks.
nickel slots

Post by nickel slots »

No comparison. Oliver is nowhere near Budish. He's a good player, but not near the caliber of Budish.
Don't sweat the small stuff.
It's all small stuff.
bstarr15

Post by bstarr15 »

I don't know about matching up lines, hard to keep track of who was on the ice but I think Oliver was centering most of the time. I thought he looked like a strong skater. I thought Budish looked good but I was not knocked out by his play. Several times along the board he had the puck taken away before he could advance out of the zone. A few other times I think they had him with one or two other Edina teammates and they moved the puck well.
No question the 17's were much stronger skating vs the 16's
Thauwald Binder Greiner 1AA
Zimmerman 3A/2AA Gunner good skater,fast not so great puck handler
Vannelli Bohrer Funk Saintey Crandall in net, 3A/2AA also looked good for their section.
Anders Lee seemed to lag a little at times but still a strong player.
Peck Scattarelli Hanowski Berkly Scott in 4AA
Seth Helgeson is big and strong, has really grown since seeing him play with the rink rats as P/W's Gleason those two in 6AA
Did see Youso and Olson in 7AA breifly in 7AA
Ness,landman,Altenbernd 8AA didn't see Shaugabay play
Those were some of my takes from games I saw,.
Fast paced and alot of good players so those that don't get selected should not feel bad at all.
bstarr15

Post by bstarr15 »

4A/4AA roster
Gaystad Maple Grove
Anderson Armstrong
Jensen Rogers
Peck Fergus Falls
Scattarelli Rogers
Hanowski Little Falls
Schneider Willmar
Burrell North Metro
Resch Alexandria
Kray Osseo
O'neill Anoka
Olson Alexandria
Vierling Coon Rapids
Lesmeister Anoka
Gross MG
Scott Anoka
Thorson Armstrong
Frischmon Blaine
Wells Anoka goalie
Howe Wayzata goalie
speakingthetruth

Post by speakingthetruth »

I wasn't able to see any of these tryouts. But do you have any predictions on any of the kids from sections 3 or 4 on either the 16's or 17's on moving forward to the next level '51's'?
bstarr15

Post by bstarr15 »

very difficult to predict as I saw some games sporadically while the evaluaters watch the full game but, I think a few like Hanowski 4A/AA are probably a lock given their play all year. Anders Lee 3A/AA same thing.
Conor Rooney, Bohrer Zimmerman have a good chance.
Vannelii,Saintey,Funk Mergens maybe a chance from 3AA
Crandall in net I would think IMO. Palmquist from SSP was not bad.
Schammel Redwing but to make it to 51 there are only so many to pick from.
4AA Peck Scattarelli Resch,Berkly Scott and Howe in net a chance
Thats already 13-14 just from those two sections.
16's I saw only a few games. Voigt Peterson 3A/AA
Obviously Budish 6A
Others 3A Walters, Spratte, Bangs and I didn't see any games of 4A/AA
upperleft

Post by upperleft »

I was down watching the 16's and had the opportunity to catch the championship or, 1st place game for the 17's between section 5A/AA Gold and, section 7A/AA Teal. Great game! Some very skilled players on both teams. It ended up 4-3 Gold but, could have gone either way. The 2nd goalie for the Gold played outstanding and really stood on his head. Several players from each team really impressed me. Teal: Yuso, Flahirty, Olson and Frazer. Gold: Fienghie, Hersch and Mattson.
boblee

post 7752

Post by boblee »

upperleft wrote:I was down watching the 16's and had the opportunity to catch the championship or, 1st place game for the 17's between section 5A/AA Gold and, section 7A/AA Teal. Great game! Some very skilled players on both teams. It ended up 4-3 Gold but, could have gone either way. The 2nd goalie for the Gold played outstanding and really stood on his head. Several players from each team really impressed me. Teal: Yuso, Flahirty, Olson and Frazer. Gold: Fienghie, Hersch and Mattson.
How did Rendle and Roy look from Grand Rapids?
upperleft

Post by upperleft »

I only watched them in this game but both played well. Rendle makes up for his lack of size with smart head's-up play and moved the puck. Roy, scored a nice goal in the final period but also coughed up a puck that he clearly should have passed which resulted in a 2 on 1 and eventual goal for the gold team. But, from what I watched both players did a nice job
wingsrule

Post by wingsrule »

The Exiled One wrote:
McPlayer56 wrote:I know section 6 beat section 8 in the final. Oliver from Roseau looked good for 8 and two Edina kids and this Chaska kid looked good for 6
I talked to somebody who saw the game who claims that both coaches were trying to match up the Oliver and Budish lines. They both centered, correct? Can anybody comment on how they compared to each other?

Saw the Section 6/Section 8 game on Sunday. Section 6 rolled four lines in order so no line matching was in play as far as I could tell. Can't comment on Section 8 although the Oliver/Budish lines did go head to head but other times they played against whatever line was on the ice.

Both player's are solid with good size and some definite skill. Hopefully they will continue to develop as they mature and turn into quality D1 players. The rest is up to them.
boblee

post 7754

Post by boblee »

upperleft wrote:I only watched them in this game but both played well. Rendle makes up for his lack of size with smart head's-up play and moved the puck. Roy, scored a nice goal in the final period but also coughed up a puck that he clearly should have passed which resulted in a 2 on 1 and eventual goal for the gold team. But, from what I watched both players did a nice job
Thanks for the report.
gmoola89

Post by gmoola89 »

anyone catch nate schmidt play? havent read much about him on the thread. but i saw him and he definatley stood out. best on his team for sure maybe best at 91 level in MN?
The Exiled One

Post by The Exiled One »

gmoola89 wrote:anyone catch nate schmidt play? havent read much about him on the thread. but i saw him and he definatley stood out. best on his team for sure maybe best at 91 level in MN?
Everybody says that, but the rumor is he didn't make the USNTDP U17 team. Of course, USA Hockey has a reputation for being political, but maybe they see some flaws in his game?

The big quesion is, can he continue to develop his game at SCC? If not, will he try to play somewhere else?
snowwhite13

selects

Post by snowwhite13 »

I saw both of the 17' and 16's play and there was a significant difference between the two levels. It should be interesting to see the final 51 when they play eachother. Some players that stood out in my mind when i was watchin the 17's are. Jake Youso-very fast and smooth, good puck of for lucia. Jordy Murray-good player from shattuck. Mike Fink-can see why he is most likely headed to NTDP. Danny Mattson- Very good playmaker JT brown- good to see him play well, have not heard much about him. Ben Hanowksi- Big kid that has imrpoved his skating, had a great HS season. Joe Gleason- VERY fast and a good pick up for the sioux, i saw The north dakota coach was there( not sure of his name). Brady Hjelle- Very quick and a smart goalie, good pick up for UMD. Aaron Crandall- solid goaltender.
southernmnscout

Post by southernmnscout »

The Exiled One wrote:
gmoola89 wrote:anyone catch nate schmidt play? havent read much about him on the thread. but i saw him and he definatley stood out. best on his team for sure maybe best at 91 level in MN?
Everybody says that, but the rumor is he didn't make the USNTDP U17 team. Of course, USA Hockey has a reputation for being political, but maybe they see some flaws in his game?

The big quesion is, can he continue to develop his game at SCC? If not, will he try to play somewhere else?
There is no doubt in my mind that this kid could play USHL next year if he wanted. I would be surprised if he just did not make the team in Ann Arbor. He is a great player and will be a great player at the next level.
Iscraper56

Post by Iscraper56 »

For all of you drooling over Budish, keep this in mind - Zach is one hell of an an athlete, not to mention a great kid - hockey is is not his only sport. Do you think there is a reason he's not "committed" besides the fact that he's still a sophomore? He plays football VERY well. With his size and skill, not to mention the FACT that full football rides are a lot more plentiful than hockey scholorships, he's surely keeping his options open. Speculate all you want, but he's one who can wait, and see what his options are. He'll surely be in the final 51, but don't look for him to "commit" until he's good and ready. In the meantime, he'll have a ton of fun.
cu@darink

Post by cu@darink »

Great88 wrote:My son was playing 16's but I did get a chance to watch 17's...no doubt there were some fine hockey players...saw 6AA vs 8AA thought both teams were good but 6AA was incredible...8AA had a more equal team but their defense besides a couple were swallowed by 6AA forwards. Also saw 4AA play 8AA...both teams had some talented kids but he defense for 4AA let em down...4AA seemed to have alot of
Anoka kids and 8AA was top heavey with most of their players from Roseau/Moorhead and Buffalo...

The 17's were much faster and the talent i thought was unreal...especially 5AA and 6AA as those kids can fly..
No Anoka players on 4AA-A at the 16 level. game with 8AA-A was 2-1. One of the better games I saw.
see you at the rink!
shoot to thrill

Post by shoot to thrill »

Advanced 16 Final 54 rosters:

Blue Team
1 D Brandon Burns
2 D Mark Alt
3 D Matt Bloomquist
4 D Nick Mattson
5 D Garrett Orhn
6 D Ryan Weston
7 F Cody Hotchkins