What has happend to the East side?

MNPuckster27

What has happend to the East side?

Post by MNPuckster27 »

The East side of St. Paul and the south eastern suburbs have always been known as the "blue collar" kids, and they usually produce some top teams each year... It seems like the usual powers of the east side (Johnson, So. St. Paul, Sibley) are going down hill. I know SSP had a good team this year, but the future isnt looking bright. You could even throw Hastings and Cottage Grove into this category...<br><br>Can anyone tell me how the youth programs are in these communities (or any other east side communities) are doing, and is there any hope for a lower east side team becoming a state power anytime soon?<br><br> <p></p><i></i>
Bigtimeguy

St. Paul Johnson

Post by Bigtimeguy »

When I was at the Tournament I talked to some of the parents from St. Paul Johnson. What has happened this year and many years in the past is that they loose kids from the east side to Hill Murray. They said Hill had 5 kids that would have played at Johnson this year. It's not only Johnson but Tartan, Harding, No.St Paul etc. Had Johnson kept this kids, that were developed in their youth program, who knows? They make it to state not Tartan.<br>It's got to be a tough choice for these kids tho. If your a good player, do you hang a round and play High School hockey for a team that has not played in the State Tournament for years or do you go to Hill where you have a good chance to play in the tournament and be noticed by scouts at the next level.<br>Hockey is still King on the East Side and everyone is just as passionate as ever!! <p></p><i></i>
MetroMN

Harding

Post by MetroMN »

Harding no longer even has a youth hockey program so I wouldn't think that they could ever have a high school team again becuase I believe that most of those kids are playing in Johnsons youth program and it would only make since that they go on and play at the high school or for that matter go play for hill or cretin. <p></p><i></i>
puckster10

Re: Sibley

Post by puckster10 »

Well for sometime the program has been losing kids, and now that Sibley will have a new coach, they may get some kids to stay in the program. There was talk that if Reddy stayed, they might not have a Junior Varsity team next year, maybe a new coach can pull the kids back. They've been losing kids to Hill-Murray, Cretin, and St. Thomas. No matter what they do, some kids will always go to St. Thomas, but eventually maybe some of the other kids will go on Sibley. Cretin also tends to be a major drawback, and I can't see parents stopping sending their kids over there. But if they do get a good coach, some of the more loyal city kids will tack on. Their young levels had pretty good years, I believe West Saint Paul's Pee Wees were pretty good, I think I saw them rated #1 in LPH at some point during the season. I think there was another level also ranked in the top 20 in LPH, but I don't recall it. <p>Puckster<br><br><!--EZCODE LINK START--><a href="http://www.wildpuck.com" target="top">www.wildpuck.com</a><!--EZCODE LINK END--></p><i></i>
John04

St Paul Johnson

Post by John04 »

As far as if Johnson can win another title I don't know that answer, but I know we will never stop trying. The varsity team this year worked harder than any team I have ever been around and came up just a little short of a section title. If our bantam group buys in like this last group we could have a good squad. We at Johnson don't pout about the kids we lose to Hill or Wherever we just take the kids we have and work our butts off. We at Johnson still take great pride in our traditions and hope to keep building on them. <p></p><i></i>
packerboy

inner city and old first tier suburbs hockey

Post by packerboy »

These programs just dont have the kids anymore. So St Paul struggles with their numbers. I think they only had 2 Peewee teams this year. Neither did very well. <br><br>It isnt for lack of effort. Its just that the numbers arent there any more. These communities have changed. The population base has changed and hockey isnt that high of a priority with these people. <br><br>I agree with John04 that the boys from Johnson should be proud of their season. A very competitive team. But thats a long way from a championship type team. <br><br>I dont think it is realistisc to expect a return to those years. <p></p><i></i>