BCS-The Debate

The Only Forum for Non-Hockey Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Neutron 14

Post by Neutron 14 »

GO BRUINS!!!
EREmpireStrikesBack

Post by EREmpireStrikesBack »

koren808 wrote:Think of how explosive Cal's offense is with Lynch and Jackson. The fact that USC held them to single digits is impressive.
They lost to ARIZONA the week before. Cal seems to be on their usual downslide at the end of the year.
Elk River AA State Champions- 2001 Boys & 2004 Girls
koren808

Post by koren808 »

ER, Arizona is another example of how the Pac 10 is deep. Their QB (Tuitama) was good when he wasn't hurt. And Zona beat other teams too, including Oregon, BYU, and Washington St. When they beat Wash St., the Cougars were ranked. And look what BYU has done this year.
EREmpireStrikesBack

The Cougars should have never been ranked. BYU was first game of the year. Oregon got a W based on a botched call.

I don't discredit the Pac 10, but I still believe the Big 10 is better.
koren808

Post by koren808 »

Now look at the Big 10. Penn St. was not that good this year, and neither was Purdue. Yet they are the 4th and 5th best teams in the conference?

And Wisconsin, who have they beaten? They faced 1 ranked team all year, and lost that one. Their two toughest games besides that were @ Purdue and @ a free-falling Iowa team.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

To make it fair Ohio State should play NDSU before advancing to the Title Game.

:D

Now if I could get those other smileys to show up, I could start talking about Bowl Bound BSU BEAVER football team.
Irishmans Shanty

Post by Irishmans Shanty »

After Saturday, it will be official and unanimous.

#1 OSU vs. #2 USC

USC out talents OSU in championship
goldy313

Post by goldy313 »

Personally I'd rather see Florida against Ohio St. A game where the over under will be in the 70's doesn't really perk my interest. Florida at least has a defence capable of stopping , or at least slowing down an offense. USC hasn't stopped anyone in their last two National title games, and this isn't your typical Buckeye defense either as Michigan proved. USC probably has a slightly better passing offense than Michigan did, and this game won't be at the horseshoe in Columbus.
Blue Breeze

Post by Blue Breeze »

Two years ago, USC gave up only 19 points to Oklahoma, and the only reason they got that many was because the game was so out of hand at halftime. USC has the best defense in the Pac 10 this year, and statistically Ohio St. has a better D than last year. I would think it would be a shootout if they played, but not because of poor defense but because of such high-powered offenses. Both these teams would easily roll up 30 points on Florida.
Irishmans Shanty

Post by Irishmans Shanty »

In evaluating team A vs. team B sometimes the stats or scores will yield no answers. Sometimes you have to look at what it is for what it is.

Marion Barber III only had 213 more yds on the ground his final year than did Amir Pinnix this year (1 game to go). When we are all dead and the only reminants of our lives are these here posts, someone researching Gopher Running Backs will find that Amir Pinnix was just as good as Marion Barber III and Laurence Maroney in a year to year comparison.

Here's the way I see it. USC would give Minnesota a beating of Biblical proportions if they played. I don't care if it is played in LA or the Dome. In fact, the Dome surface would only magnify the speed differential. Michigan didn't give the U this beating and I don't believe Florida would either.

OSU is #1 and ________ is #2, unless of course they loose to ______ on Saturday.
EREmpireStrikesBack

God damn you BCS! How many questions would it answer if

OSU vs Florida
Michigan vs USC

Winner vs Winner

There would be no debate and the world would be beautiful.
packerboy

Post by packerboy »

I agree that would end the debate... but would it be beautiful?
Neutron 14

Post by Neutron 14 »

ImageBeautiful man...Image
Last edited by Neutron 14 on Wed Nov 29, 2006 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
packerboy

Post by packerboy »

Not necessarily stoned but beautiful.
EREmpireStrikesBack

Is that really a flashing emoticon?
goldy313

Post by goldy313 »

EREmpireStrikesBack wrote:God damn you BCS! How many questions would it answer if

OSU vs Florida
Michigan vs USC

Winner vs Winner

There would be no debate and the world would be beautiful.
You're putting the cart before the horse, Florida still has to beat a very good Arkansas team Saturday. Anyone who says Michigan deserves a shot at OSU, what about a 1 loss Wisconsin team? Their only loss was at Michigan, same as Michigans only loss was at OSU. Or Boise St.? Or Rutgers? Or West Virginia? Or LSU? Or Auburn? You can't just stop at 4 or there would be a legitmate argument for the 5th team, you can't stop at 8, or even as the NCAA basketball tournamnet proves 65.
EREmpireStrikesBack

How 'bout them Trojans? 2nd best team in the nation...

Ok, maybe the Pac 10 is tough. Or maybe USC just isn't that good. Either way, Michigan should be playing for the Nat'l Championship now like they should have been all along.
koren808

Post by koren808 »

I would rather see Florida play OSU than Michigan. Heck, I would rather see Boise St. play OSU than Michigan.
EREmpireStrikesBack

Just anti-Michigan or what is it? Is it really because you don't believe they are the 2nd best team in the nation right now or just because you don't like them?

Packerboy had a helluva point, if you can't beat Oregon State, then you shouldn't be able to play for the Nat'l Championship.
koren808

Post by koren808 »

Michigan didn't win its conference. They lost to OSU already. They had their chance. They didn't capitalize on it. If Michigan would have won, I would be saying the same things about Ohio St. Florida didn't lose to Oregon St. They lost to Auburn, who is a pretty good team themselves. And for all the crap that Florida gets for winning ugly, what was the team that had to hold on to beat Ball St.? Michigan. Florida had a much tougher schedule than Michigan, and went 12-1. They have earned the right to play OSU in the title game.
goldy313

Post by goldy313 »

Being a bit of conspiracy guy, before the the final polls come out I'm looking at a couple of things affecting the votes.

1) Auburn was screwed 2 years ago and the just happen to play in the SEC just like Florida. The SEC has a legitimate beef if they get screwed twice in 3 years. Once I understand, but twice and once for team that didn't win its conference would be a slap in the face.

2) The Rose Bowl has publicly stated it wants a Big Ten/Pac 10 match up, but LSU has already pre sold 42,000 tickets on the assumption USC was going to beat UCLA. That's the highest total ever. The Rose Bowl will sell out, it always does, but how much behind the scenes pulling for a Big Ten/Pac 10 will the Rose Bowl do knowing a USC/Michigan game won't generate much interest or ticket sales from sour grape Michigan fans? Bringing in 40,000 to 50,000 tourists and all their money is tough to turn down.

3) The Orange Bowl sucks (Wake Forest/Louisville), the Fiesta Bowl sucks (Oklahoma/Boise St.) the Sugar Bowl has Notre Dame which will draw an audiance against either LSU or Florida, but with FOX ponying up big bucks for the BCS minus the Rose Bowl a Michigan OSU rematch has to be a nightmare scenario. Not only is it regional, but we've already seen that game once this year and outside of Michigan fans there isn't a big outcry for a rematch. They sell ads based on ratings and I'd be hardpressed to believe that they'll get as good of ratings with an OSU/Michigan rematch as they would with a OSU/Florida game where you're pulling in an entire part of a college football rabid section of the country.
EREmpireStrikesBack

I am completely fine with Florida. They won the toughest conference in the nation, unlike USC. Koren, are you just switching to anyone but Michigan? If Florida had lost too, would you be campaigning for Boise St? If you look at your posts, they are nearly the same except substitute Florida for USC.

I would enjoy Florida vs Ohio St or Michigan vs Ohio St
Blue Breeze

Post by Blue Breeze »

My previous argument was predicated on the assumption that USC would beat UCLA, which obviously did not happen. I also thought Arkansas would beat Florida in the SEC championship game, which also didn't happen. Now that everything has unfolded, I believe Florida should be in the NC. They won the toughest conference in the nation by far, and played the toughest schedule in the country. The SEC is a victim of its own ability, and I doubt Michigan could go through that conference unscathed. Michigan finished 2nd in inferior conference, Florida finished first in a superior one. Michigan may be better, but it's clear they are no more than the # 2 team, Florida could potentially be # 1.
EREmpireStrikesBack

Well I know I'm not going with Blue Breeze on any predictions... JK man

I'd really like to see Urban Meyer's gameplan for TSmith and the OSU offense. I truly think he is one of the Top 5 coaches in the country, especially when it comes to gameplans.
Blue Breeze

Post by Blue Breeze »

EREmpireStrikesBack wrote:Well I know I'm not going with Blue Breeze on any predictions... JK man

I'd really like to see Urban Meyer's gameplan for TSmith and the OSU offense. I truly think he is one of the Top 5 coaches in the country, especially when it comes to gameplans.
Hey, I wouldn't either, at least when it comes to college football this year.

Meyer is definately one of the more creative coaches in the country, and he could find a scheme that could contain Smith. Florida's offense, while sometimes stagnant, has a lot of speed and a lot of playmakers, a Florida-OSU game would be a lot of fun to watch.