BCS-The Debate

The Only Forum for Non-Hockey Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

boblee

BCS-The Debate

Post by boblee »

BCS (Bowl Championship Series)

1. Ohio State
2. Michigan
3. USC
4. Florida
5. Notre Dame
6. Rutgers
7. Arkansas
8. West Virginia
9. Wisconsin
10. Louisville

Noteable--Boise State #12

BCS (boblee championship standings)

1. Ohio State
2. Michigan
3. Rutgers
4. Arkansas
5. USC
6. Florida
7. Wisconsin
8. Notre Dame
9. Louisville
10. Boise State

Noteable--West Virginia #11
goldy313

Post by goldy313 »

Since Michigan and Ohip St. each only have 1 game left and it is against each other it is now guarentted that one will end up in the Fiesta Bowl. USC and Notre Dame play each other and the loser will be eliminated, Arkansas, if they beat LSU, will play Florida and the loser of that will also be eliminated.

USC beat Arkansas 50-14 at Arkansas, no way Arkansas gets in in front of USC if they both end the season with 1 loss.

Florida and Arkansas will meat in the SEC title game assuming Arkansas doesn't drop it's last 2 against a bad Miss St and LSU. Because USC beat Arkansas so bad it would be tough for Florida to pass USC unless they also beat Arkansas by a ton.

By and large most experts agree there won't be an Ohio St. Michigan rematch, but Michigan did win at South Bend 47-21, so how can you put a 1 loss ND in front of a 1 loss Michigan? (Ok I realize the draw ND would get)

Rutgers needs to win at West Virginia, and I don't think that will happen and besides the Big East is terrible and with Miami's struggles Louisivilles win looks alot less impressive than it did a few weeks ago. Nobody in the Big East has a impressive non conference win; Maryland and Kansas St. are nice but not up there with USC beating Arkansas.

My prediction OSU vs. Florida. USC will lose to either Cal or UCLA. Florida wins a tight one, the BCS gives it's title to Florida the AP votes Michigan it's National Champ as they lose a tight one at tOSU.
State Champ 97

Post by State Champ 97 »

The BCS is a crock. Until D1 college football has a playoff system, nothing really matters except root for your favorite team and then go home. Whether a one loss team loses the Rose Bowl or the Sugar Bowl or dipstick.com bowl who actually finished better? Use some of these so called smaller bowl games as prelimanary rounds for the title game and give it some fancy name. If you lose you go home. Don't ask me how many get in to the bowl season or how to seed it. Just give me a playoff system. Then we will know who is the true champ and who isn't.
Blue Breeze

Post by Blue Breeze »

An 8-Team playoff system makes the most sense. Let those outside of the Top 8 have their smaller bowl games to maintain the revenue and tradition of those, but use the quarterfinals as the Rose, Fiesta, Orange, and Sugar Bowl, the move onto a Semi-final and Championship Round.

The BCS is garbage, if Ohio State beats Michigan this week, I can almost guarantee Notre Dame will leapfrog them, which is absolute crap since Michigan pounded Notre Dame at their own place and Notre Dame hasn't beaten anyone halfway decent.
boblee

Post by boblee »

The number of teams who can get in I think are pretty much trimmed to six...

Ohio State (locked)
Michigan
USC
Florida
Notre Dame
Arkansas
packerboy

Post by packerboy »

I dont get the debate. The buzz is that if USC wins its last 2 games vs Notre Dame and UCLA , it plays OSU for the ship.

WHY?

Michigan already beat Notre Dame 40- 20 or somthin!

If USC beats them too, they get the spot? Its nonsense.

Mich lost by 3 on the road to OSU. Most odds makers say the home field is worth 3+ pts.

USC lost to Oregon. Sorry, but that should settle it.

If Mich loses the #2 spot because it loses to the #1 team on the road by 3 because USC beats ND,who MI already beat,......well, I dont get it.
boblee

Post by boblee »

What is USC wins 58-3?
packerboy

Post by packerboy »

It wont change the fact that they lost to Oregon.
Irishmans Shanty

Post by Irishmans Shanty »

With Rutgers' efforts this year, here's what you can take from the BCS. Minnesota, regardless of an undefeated season, will never play for a National Championship.

Had Louisville or WV gone undefeated, it was widely accepted that they would play for the title. Rutgers, at 8-0 was too far back in the poll to ever get to 1 or 2. At that time, the computer component had them #2, therfore, the human component held them back. I believe and undefeated Gopher team would not be ranked ahead of a one loss Fl, LSU, Aub, USC, or Tex for this same reason. Face it, the nation doesn't want Rutgers, Min, Indiana, Vanderbilt, or Kentucky to play in the big one. Program luster can outweigh performance.

The '09 Gopher schedule doesn't have Michigan. An 11-0 Gopher team will be penalized for not beating the Wolverines that year.
State Champ 97

Post by State Champ 97 »

The BCS is a joke. Why can't D1 college football understand that. Every other division in every other sport has some sort of play off system that they make work.
koren808

Post by koren808 »

For the record, USC lost to Oregon St., not Oregon.

Personally, its a long shot for them to get in, but I think that Arkansas is the best of those teams trying to face Ohio St. Yes, USC killed them earlier in the year, but they played that game with their #3 QB, plus their RB Darren McFadden was hurt. Also, the D has improved a lot over the year.

If you haven't seen McFadden play, do so. You will be glad you did.
goldy313

Post by goldy313 »

If there was a playoff last weeks OSU/Michigan game would mean nothing, so would countless other games; Notre Dame/USC, Arkansas/Florida, etc. that are still to be played would be meaningless. This season is working out perfectly and there is a "playoff" atmosphere. Last weeks OSU/Michigan was the highest TV rated college football game in 20 years, that's before 100 channels of cable and satelite people. The NCAA isn't stupid when it comes to money, they make way more off this kind of system than they ever would with a playoff system. The Wildcard round of the NFL playoffs has lower ratings than the regular season, why? Because a vast majority of people don't care about those games; either their team is already out or they realize that these teams have next to zero chance of advancing past the next week anyway. The same thing would happen with the NCAA; except the regular season would become nearly meaningless as well for nearly every team, making the public at large care about maybe 3 whole football games a year. Think about it, would a game between Wisconsin and Penn St for # 8 have any real National interest? No, of course not, but Florida/Arkansas will get a huge draw, so will ND/USC precisely because of how important the outcome is

The rationalizing that every other NCAA sport does it is crap, because in every other sport you can play an entire tournament in a matter of days, and the only reason the NCAA basketball tournament is what it is is because of gambling in one form or another, be it Vegas or your local office pool. Nobody really cares about any other NCAA tournament outside of D1 basketball anyways, with a possible exception of the college world series but even that's a very minor level of interest.

On the Fiesta Bowl, there is no way Michigan should get to play OSU again in front of a 1 loss Arkansas, Florida, or USC team. They had their chance and lost, that's the way NCAA football works. It's just my opinion but I don't think that any team that doesn't win its conference championship deserves to be in the BCS title game over a team that did.
EREmpireStrikesBack

Post by EREmpireStrikesBack »

koren808 wrote:For the record, USC lost to Oregon St., not Oregon.
That's even worse.

So just because the 2nd best team in the nation plays in the same conference as the best team, they can't play in the Nat'l Championship. I agree with your logic when Oklahoma gets beat by KState and still plays USC in the Nat'l Champ, but not when the Top 2 teams are in the same conference and that is the reason they don't win the conference championship.
Elk River AA State Champions- 2001 Boys & 2004 Girls
packerboy

Post by packerboy »

goldy, you can say all of the one losss etams had their chance and blew it. USC had their chance and lost to a team from Oregon.

Mich has beaten all comers except everybody's #1 team by 3pts on the road.

Mich has the best credentials and should get the shot.

I havent heard an argument yet that would justify a team losing to Oregon leap frogging Mich.
koren808

Post by koren808 »

Because Michigan has already played OSU, and they lost. If they play in the NC game, what does that solve? If OSU wins, then nothing is learned that we didn't already know- that OSU is better than Michigan. If Michigan wins, then the game that happened last weekend matters nothing. The two teams split the season series, but because Michigan won theirs later, they are the national champion? I don't think anyone would be satisfied with that, because it leaves just as many questinos as answers.

I think that USC will get to play OSU in the end anyways, so we won't have to deal with that scenario.
boblee

Post by boblee »

There are now only a few teams left in the race:

Ohio State (locked)
Michigan
USC
Florida (outside Chance)
packerboy

Post by packerboy »

Well koren , are we looking for the 2 best teams to play for the 'ship or are we trying to solve something?

We dont know that OSU is better than Michigan. All we know is that OSU beat them by 3 at home.

What would happen if thay played the game at Ann Arbor or,as is the case in a title game, on a neutral field.

We dont know and now we never will if USC beats UCLA.

I dont really care who plays in the game. It willbe a good game with either USC or Mich.

I just dont understand how the #2 team loses its spot to a team that lost to Oregon because they lost to the #1 team by 3 on the road.
Neutron 14

Post by Neutron 14 »

Blue Breeze

Post by Blue Breeze »

Having Ohio St. play Michigan again is unfair to Ohio State. They played them, they beat them, and they controlled the whole game, the 3 point margin was misleading because Ohio State was clearly the better team, throw away the home-field advantage.

USC lost on the road against an underrated Oregon State squad without Chauncey Washington and a hobbled Dwayne Jarrett. Michigan has yet to beat an elite team, they beat a good Wisconsin team and a very overrated Notre Dame team that is barely a Top-20 squad. USC blew out Arkansas on the road, beat Oregon, Nebraska, and Cal, not to mention they are peaking with a young team at the end of the year. If they lose to UCLA, it doesn't matter, but if they win, they deserve a shot at the national title.
packerboy

Post by packerboy »

What? Unfair? Who cares.

The game should include the 2 best teams. Nothing else matters.

USC lost to Oregon State.

It would be like Mich losing to Penn State or Purdue.

What elite team has USC beaten? Wisconsin is ranked higher and is a better team than anybody USC has beaten.

The media wants USC because it would be a bigger draw. Mussburger made that pretty clear Sat night, when he decided to start pounding the drum for USC half way thru the third quater.

I thinks its the media spin that rinses USC clean from the Oregon loss.
Blue Breeze

Post by Blue Breeze »

packerboy wrote:
What elite team has USC beaten? Wisconsin is ranked higher and is a better team than anybody USC has beaten.
Arkansas, I would call them pretty elite. Winning either division in the SEC qualifies you as that. Wisconsin is good, but they had a cake schedule that they walked through to get to 11-1. Michigan's signature win is Notre Dame, who have clearly established they are a couple notches below the top teams in the country. Michigan is deserving as well, but as of now USC has earned the right, any team that does not win their conference title should not compete for a national title.
packerboy

Post by packerboy »

"Any team that doesnt win their confernce title shoudnt compete for the nat'l title. Really? Where is that written?

Does it apply to all sports? Basketball, Hockey?

Geez, what does that sound like? Could it be............... spin?

Does that apply even if the conference champ is the undisputed #1 team in the country that you lost to by 3 pts at their place for your only loss?

Wisconsin is ranked higher than ARK, whether they are an elite team or not and MI beat them and lost only to OSU

USC lost to Boofin Oregon State. How do we forget that?
Neutron 14

Post by Neutron 14 »

Is this the same underrated Oregon State team that lost to Boise State 42-14?
boblee

Post by boblee »

Neutron 14 wrote:Is this the same underrated Oregon State team that lost to Boise State 42-14?
Boise State is unbeaten
packerboy

Post by packerboy »

Its also the same underrated team that lost to Cal 41-13. A score that will sound familiar to Gopher fans.