CoVid-19

The Only Forum for Non-Hockey Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

cigar

Re: CoVid-19

Post by cigar »

goldy313 wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:12 pm Cigar....your second sentence after “here are the facts” is false.

While we do test those with symptoms we also test those in direct patient care and test those in the chain of infection, most in the second and third categories are not rich or famous. As I stated, I was called to come in for a test because a patient I had treated was positive.

While agree with much of your post, you can’t be just wrong in sentence number 2. There are some other points that are just wrong; being primarily spread in a medical environment? Maybe to health care workers but they are but a small portion. Just like any virus it is spread through contact. Cause of death is exactly that cause of death. Having a comorbidity doesn’t preclude you to death from something else, because a patient is immunosuppressed does not mean they can’t die from pneumonia.

It is a virus with no treatment thus far, we do not test everyone with flu like symptoms for influenza. We extrapolate the data and then we categorize influenza as sporadic, widespread, etc. We have no long term data on the Coronavirus and without school and work we have lost many data points meaning testing is the only way we have to get a picture of spread.

Testing has its limits.....false positives/negatives as you accurately mentioned, plus test results are only a snapshot in time. Ideally we would randomly test “X” amount of people, say every Monday we test everyone in Minnesota whose SSN ends in 233, then we would test 1 of every 1000 people and over time would have an accurate picture of what the actual infection rate is and how it is changing.

The science and statistical modeling is not very good and we are missing a chance to improve it. Your point about testing is accurate and we are not, as a county, state, or nation doing even a passable job of explaining this to the citizens.

Among the scariest things.....The city of Rochester has suspended public comments at city council meetings! You can submit them online but no longer have the right to speak them for the record. People were turned away and not allowed to speak on matters the council voted on. There is a lot being done at local, state, and national levels where it looks a heck of a lot more like a Communist state than a Republic. Edicts are coming from the Executive branch of government without approval from the other 2 branches of government and without a declaration of martial law.
given the fact that all the lockdowns and changes have not collapsed R0, and give the hospitals are one of the few if not the only that has increased its prevalence in our lives of those in lock down. You don't need more food than usual when sitting around, but when more people get sick they sure do hit the hospital.

Cause of death:

The CDC’s Full Document Explaining Coding For CoronaCold-19

COVID-19 Alert No. 2
March 24, 2020
New ICD code introduced for COVID-19 deaths
This email is to alert you that a newly-introduced ICD code has been implemented to accurately capture mortality data for Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) on death certificates.
Please read carefully and forward this email to the state statistical staff in your office who are involved in the preparation of mortality data, as well as others who may receive questions when the data are released.
What is the new code?
The new ICD code for Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) is U07.1, and below is how it will appear in formal tabular list format.
U07.1 COVID-19
Excludes: Coronavirus infection, unspecified site (B34.2)
Severe acute respiratory syndrome [SARS], unspecified (U04.9)
The WHO has provided a second code, U07.2, for clinical or epidemiological diagnosis of COVID-19 where a laboratory confirmation is inconclusive or not available. Because laboratory test results are not typically reported on death certificates in the U.S., NCHS is not planning to implement U07.2 for mortality statistics.
When will it be implemented? Immediately.
Will COVID-19 be the underlying cause?
The underlying cause depends upon what and where conditions are reported on the death certificate. However, the rules for coding and selection of the underlying cause of death are expected to result in COVID- 19 being the underlying cause more often than not.
What happens if certifiers report terms other than the suggested terms?
If a death certificate reports coronavirus without identifying a specific strain or explicitly specifying that it is not COVID-19, NCHS will ask the states to follow up to verify whether or not the coronavirus was COVID-19. As long as the phrase used indicates the 2019 coronavirus strain, NCHS expects to assign the new code. However, it is preferable and more straightforward for certifiers to use the standard terminology (COVID-19).
What happens if the terms reported on the death certificate indicate uncertainty?
If the death certificate reports terms such as “probable COVID-19” or “likely COVID-19,” these terms would be assigned the new ICD code. It Is not likely that NCHS will follow up on these cases.
If “pending COVID-19 testing” is reported on the death certificate, this would be considered a pending record. In this scenario, NCHS would expect to receive an updated record, since the code will likely result in R99. In this case, NCHS will ask the states to follow up to verify if test results confirmed that the decedent had COVID- 19.
Do I need to make any changes at the jurisdictional level to accommodate the new ICD code?
Not necessarily, but you will want to confirm that your systems and programs do not behave as if U07.1 is an unknown code.
Should “COVID-19” be reported on the death certificate only with a confirmed test?
COVID-19 should be reported on the death certificate for all decedents where the disease caused or is assumed to have caused or contributed to death. Certifiers should include as much detail as possible based on their knowledge of the case, medical records, laboratory testing, etc. If the decedent had other chronic conditions such as COPD or asthma that may have also contributed, these conditions can be reported in Part II. (See attached Guidance for Certifying COVID-19 Deaths)
Steven Schwartz, PhD
Director – Division of Vital Statistics
National Center for Health Statistics 3311 Toledo Rd | Hyattsville, MD 20782

“Probable” or “likely” or “assumed to have caused” are not exact terms. The big one, it seems, is that if coronavirus “contributed to death”, then it is apparently tallied as a “death from coronavirus.”
This is a big deal. Death “caused by coronavirus” is not the same as “coronavirus contributed to death.” But they are all apparently being lumped into the same category.

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nvss/coro ... deaths.pdf
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

east hockey wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:37 am
Brodziak Fan Club wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:03 am Has anyone ever seen Karl and Lee in the same place at the same time? I know I haven't...
Yeah, Karl should have taken a selfie of us at the 7AA semifinals :mrgreen:

Lee
Next year we'll have to provide photographic evidence when we have our annual 7AA playoff meeting of the minds. Though one year I do remember we sat next to a couple of guys who happened to be forum users, and I think our friend alcloseshaver has been a witness to this as well.

This thread is certainly a twist I never expected to see on this forum. Come for the hockey, stay for the amateur epidemiology theory!
MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles »

raidergrad72 wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:32 pm
Slap Shot wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:17 am
BodyShots wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:25 am Prayers for all those that have the virus or are trying to contain it.

Slapshot, I'm very impressed that you starting dealing with this back in February. I just with we had a government smart enough to do that as well. Instead we have an idiot running the country who thought this was a big hoax until last week.

Stay safe and keep positive. We will figure out a way to get past all of this.
Yes we're all going to feel a bit of a pinch for some time, but if cooler heads prevail we will come out of this and find ways to recover!
Slapshot..
Kumusta ka!! My wife (asawa to you forum peeps) is from Eastern Samar, town of Girporlos, about 2 hours by road from Tacloban City. I visited there with her in 2016 for the hometown festival. A little step back in time, but still lots of fun.
Stayed at the H2O hotel in Manila, visited Ft. Santiago, Veterans Park & Rizal Park among other sites.
A little humid for me.
Great that the moderators agree with BodyShots comments, but his comment should be completely off of here... unless it’s open season on here.. 😳👎
nu2hockey

Post by nu2hockey »

Have been on the forum for 7+ years and we have been able to keep political nonsense off of the forum.....cigar and bodyshots, there are other venues for that crap...your discussions here are welcome ,but, take that junk elsewhere, ....
Schotzy

Post by Schotzy »

nu2hockey wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:47 am Have been on the forum for 7+ years and we have been able to keep political nonsense off of the forum.....cigar and bodyshots, there are other venues for that crap...your discussions here are welcome ,but, take that junk elsewhere, ....
Yup. It would appear that a couple have recently been reprimanded for talking hockey, so this should be pretty clear.
Crusty

Post by Crusty »

So anyway whats going on in the world of hockey or what could of been...?
alcloseshaver

Post by alcloseshaver »

karl(east) wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:18 pm
Brodziak Fan Club wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:03 am Has anyone ever seen Karl and Lee in the same place at the same time? I know I haven't...

Lee
Next year we'll have to provide photographic evidence when we have our annual 7AA playoff meeting of the minds. Though one year I do remember we sat next to a couple of guys who happened to be forum users, and I think our friend alcloseshaver has been a witness to this as well.

This thread is certainly a twist I never expected to see on this forum. Come for the hockey, stay for the amateur epidemiology theory!
Can can confirm there is an actual dynamic duo, sat next to them for the third period of what was going to be an ER victory after controlling GR for 2 periods. Karl showed empathy in my plight, didn’t stick around long enough to see if Lee would provide any...
east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey »

alcloseshaver wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:58 pm
karl(east) wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:18 pm

Lee

Can can confirm there is an actual dynamic duo, sat next to them for the third period of what was going to be an ER victory after controlling GR for 2 periods. Karl showed empathy in my plight, didn’t stick around long enough to see if Lee would provide any...
Hey, I tried to limit my glee when Rapids came back!! :mrgreen:

Lee
Message Board arsonist since 2005
Egomaniac since 2006
cigar

Post by cigar »

nu2hockey wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:47 am Have been on the forum for 7+ years and we have been able to keep political nonsense off of the forum.....cigar and bodyshots, there are other venues for that crap...your discussions here are welcome ,but, take that junk elsewhere, ....
nu2hockey, what is the subject of this thread?

And tell me, how is this political? you might as well say i'm racist also, or some sort of homophobe.. if you can't dialog without looking through your political/racist/ glasses then you really should look in the mirror because you really have a problem... there are now two large problems we face, and I'm sorry to say Covid-19 is not the most serious of the two. somehow avoiding an incredible crushing depression is more serious in my opinion. you can disagree, you can disagree with anything i say. it would be great if you could attempt to dispute it with some facts, that might give you a little credibility.. But I'm not expecting a miracle.

i don't give a crap about republicans or dems.... both are the same. they all lie and enrich themselves off of their supporters.

We do work with very dangerous viruses all the time. We have to. We use truly extreme measures in doing so too, because the risk of a mistake, if made, is catastrophic to the person involved and, if the virus is person-person transmissible the outcome could be horrifying.

We do this sort of work in labs where strict controls are found. Think "Andromeda Strain" sort of lab.

There is not a hospital in the world that can maintain that level of isolation successfully.

Hospitals, generally, are not set up much to deal with highly-infectious and serious disease. Blood-borne diseases are one thing; there you need direct exposure, which means needle sticks and things like that. Diseases where vaccinations are available are another; health workers can be required to have proved immunity in the form of proof of vaccination. That works.
There are a handful of hospitals that are capable of treating Ebola patients. So far none have had a breach. But their capacity is very, very low. In addition Ebola is not generally airborne and that makes it materially easier. Ebola-level isolation is actually not enough for this virus to stop transmission to the health care workers yet even that level of protection is simply impossible to provide for thousands of people. For a handful that present while returning from the US, yes. For the general US population? Not a snowball's chance in Hell; we have neither the facilities or the staff.

There is no vaccine for this and one is never likely to work, despite the screaming. We've heard that lie out of the NIH, CDC and medicine before. There are times it is truthful but coronaviruses are not one of those areas. There is no record of such a successful vaccine with permanent immunity for coronaviruses and despite "the flu shot" that fails an awful lot of the time too.

Reliance on such is just flat-out insane.

There's some evidence that the method of action of this virus in the body leads to the potential for extraordinarily contagious "windows", likely coinciding with active symptoms, and low but non-zero infection capacity otherwise, at least in droplets. There is also plenty of evidence this virus is fecal/oral transmissible going all the way back to the first reports out of Wuhan, and that's nasty because some of the higher R0 viruses historically have been transmitted in such a fashion (e.g. Polio, R0 of approximately 5.)

Health care workers cannot social distance and do their jobs. PPE is not a panacea; other than a "moon suit" with positive-pressure ventilation it's inadequate when you have an actively-infectious patient and an easily-transmissible infectious agent. There's no way in hell you can run a hospital with everyone kitted up in a moon suit, connected to positive-pressure clean air sources. Forget it.

We keep seeing the same stats. A small number of cases which do not follow the expected geometric progression, then a sudden explosion. When reporting is actually done we see patterns where a huge percentage of the "first infected reports" are in hospitals. Medical workers in hospitals are a tiny fraction of the entire population and yet they often make up 1/5th to a 1/6th of the original infected population sample. This has happened repeatedly, beginning in Wuhan.

(FOX 9) - State health officials say one in five of the confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Minnesota are health care workers.

Of the state’s 503 confirmed cases of the coronavirus, 133 are health care workers, according to the Minnesota Department of Health.

The data says that what is happening is that this virus spreads in the population but slowly until health care workers get it in a hospital, pass it around and then back into the general population as they are exempt from all of the social mandates. In cities with strong public transportation systems it's even worse as they can spread the love on buses and trains. While doctors may drive their nice cars orderlies and nurses are another matter, never mind that some of them are likely coming to work while sick and thus transmit back to the patient and other worker population, if any don't already have it, whether they realize it or not.

Minnesota is almost-certain to get reamed.

The data proving this is clear. When New York implemented its "shelter in place" and other towns and cities implemented "social distancing" we should have seen an immediate collapse in the R0 in that area. We did not. We've seen a change -- about 0.4-0.5 on a national basis and approximately the same in NY, but out of 2.5-3.0 it's clear that casual social interaction being cut by 90% or more for the common person on the street is not stopping the transmission.

You can work in a warehouse and not get within 6' of anyone. You can stock grocery shelves and do likewise. And if you're laid off and staying mostly at home, since everything you want to do is closed, well, it's you and your cat. And so on.

So who's that leave?

HOSPITAL WORKERS who by definition cannot socially distance and do their jobs.

Singapore identified this immediately and stopped the madness by mandating washing of hands with soap and water, not so-called "sanitizers", before and after each contact with a person or thing that could potentially be infected. By doing that they dropped the infection rate of their hospital staff to a statistical zero and almost immediately thereafter the outbreak there was under control. They still get a case here and there, but the simple fact is that despite the screams of horror about community spread the facts are that it isn't that easy for social transmission of this bug to take place, except through super-spreading events.

there will be no high school hockey next year, unless it is played during summer and finish in the fall.
jg2112

Post by jg2112 »

Cigar -

All the best to you and whatever work it is that you do.

Sadly, I agree with you. I don't think there will be high school sports in 2020-21, except for diving and maybe gymnastics.
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

BodyShots wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:25 am Prayers for all those that have the virus or are trying to contain it.

Slapshot, I'm very impressed that you starting dealing with this back in February. I just with we had a government smart enough to do that as well. Instead we have an idiot running the country who thought this was a big hoax until last week.

Stay safe and keep positive. We will figure out a way to get past all of this.
Yes we're all going to feel a bit of a pinch for some time, but if cooler heads prevail we will come out of this and find ways to recover!
Slapshot..
Kumusta ka!! My wife (asawa to you forum peeps) is from Eastern Samar, town of Girporlos, about 2 hours by road from Tacloban City. I visited there with her in 2016 for the hometown festival. A little step back in time, but still lots of fun.
Stayed at the H2O hotel in Manila, visited Ft. Santiago, Veterans Park & Rizal Park among other sites.
A little humid for me.
It is definitely humid. To top if off in March we'd been seeing highs at least 5F higher than average which means we've been running the A/C a lot more than normal.
raidergrad72

Post by raidergrad72 »

Slap Shot wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:27 am

Slapshot..
A little humid for me.
It is definitely humid. To top if off in March we'd been seeing highs at least 5F higher than average which means we've been running the A/C a lot more than normal.
When I was back there the power went off a couple of times for extended periods. A little tough without the fans, but a bigger concern was the food spoilage. No ice at the sera sera store either! LOL!
arcticpurple

Post by arcticpurple »

cigar wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:28 pm
nu2hockey, what is the subject of this thread?

And tell me, how is this political? you might as well say i'm racist also, or some sort of homophobe.. if you can't dialog without looking through your political/racist/ glasses then you really should look in the mirror because you really have a problem... there are now two large problems we face, and I'm sorry to say Covid-19 is not the most serious of the two. somehow avoiding an incredible crushing depression is more serious in my opinion. you can disagree, you can disagree with anything i say. it would be great if you could attempt to dispute it with some facts, that might give you a little credibility.. But I'm not expecting a miracle.

i don't give a crap about republicans or dems.... both are the same. they all lie and enrich themselves off of their supporters.

We do work with very dangerous viruses all the time. We have to. We use truly extreme measures in doing so too, because the risk of a mistake, if made, is catastrophic to the person involved and, if the virus is person-person transmissible the outcome could be horrifying.

We do this sort of work in labs where strict controls are found. Think "Andromeda Strain" sort of lab.

There is not a hospital in the world that can maintain that level of isolation successfully.

Hospitals, generally, are not set up much to deal with highly-infectious and serious disease. Blood-borne diseases are one thing; there you need direct exposure, which means needle sticks and things like that. Diseases where vaccinations are available are another; health workers can be required to have proved immunity in the form of proof of vaccination. That works.
There are a handful of hospitals that are capable of treating Ebola patients. So far none have had a breach. But their capacity is very, very low. In addition Ebola is not generally airborne and that makes it materially easier. Ebola-level isolation is actually not enough for this virus to stop transmission to the health care workers yet even that level of protection is simply impossible to provide for thousands of people. For a handful that present while returning from the US, yes. For the general US population? Not a snowball's chance in Hell; we have neither the facilities or the staff.

There is no vaccine for this and one is never likely to work, despite the screaming. We've heard that lie out of the NIH, CDC and medicine before. There are times it is truthful but coronaviruses are not one of those areas. There is no record of such a successful vaccine with permanent immunity for coronaviruses and despite "the flu shot" that fails an awful lot of the time too.

Reliance on such is just flat-out insane.

There's some evidence that the method of action of this virus in the body leads to the potential for extraordinarily contagious "windows", likely coinciding with active symptoms, and low but non-zero infection capacity otherwise, at least in droplets. There is also plenty of evidence this virus is fecal/oral transmissible going all the way back to the first reports out of Wuhan, and that's nasty because some of the higher R0 viruses historically have been transmitted in such a fashion (e.g. Polio, R0 of approximately 5.)

Health care workers cannot social distance and do their jobs. PPE is not a panacea; other than a "moon suit" with positive-pressure ventilation it's inadequate when you have an actively-infectious patient and an easily-transmissible infectious agent. There's no way in hell you can run a hospital with everyone kitted up in a moon suit, connected to positive-pressure clean air sources. Forget it.

We keep seeing the same stats. A small number of cases which do not follow the expected geometric progression, then a sudden explosion. When reporting is actually done we see patterns where a huge percentage of the "first infected reports" are in hospitals. Medical workers in hospitals are a tiny fraction of the entire population and yet they often make up 1/5th to a 1/6th of the original infected population sample. This has happened repeatedly, beginning in Wuhan.

(FOX 9) - State health officials say one in five of the confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Minnesota are health care workers.

Of the state’s 503 confirmed cases of the coronavirus, 133 are health care workers, according to the Minnesota Department of Health.

The data says that what is happening is that this virus spreads in the population but slowly until health care workers get it in a hospital, pass it around and then back into the general population as they are exempt from all of the social mandates. In cities with strong public transportation systems it's even worse as they can spread the love on buses and trains. While doctors may drive their nice cars orderlies and nurses are another matter, never mind that some of them are likely coming to work while sick and thus transmit back to the patient and other worker population, if any don't already have it, whether they realize it or not.

Minnesota is almost-certain to get reamed.

The data proving this is clear. When New York implemented its "shelter in place" and other towns and cities implemented "social distancing" we should have seen an immediate collapse in the R0 in that area. We did not. We've seen a change -- about 0.4-0.5 on a national basis and approximately the same in NY, but out of 2.5-3.0 it's clear that casual social interaction being cut by 90% or more for the common person on the street is not stopping the transmission.

You can work in a warehouse and not get within 6' of anyone. You can stock grocery shelves and do likewise. And if you're laid off and staying mostly at home, since everything you want to do is closed, well, it's you and your cat. And so on.

So who's that leave?

HOSPITAL WORKERS who by definition cannot socially distance and do their jobs.

Singapore identified this immediately and stopped the madness by mandating washing of hands with soap and water, not so-called "sanitizers", before and after each contact with a person or thing that could potentially be infected. By doing that they dropped the infection rate of their hospital staff to a statistical zero and almost immediately thereafter the outbreak there was under control. They still get a case here and there, but the simple fact is that despite the screams of horror about community spread the facts are that it isn't that easy for social transmission of this bug to take place, except through super-spreading events.

there will be no high school hockey next year, unless it is played during summer and finish in the fall.
JC...time to shut this baby down. A very hazy babble spewing from The Cigar! Effing embarrassing ! Squirrel!
cigar

Post by cigar »

just some more facts. Or politics, if you want to call it that. Draw your own conclusions..

https://www1.nyc.gov/assets/doh/downloa ... deaths.pdf

Out of the 1046 classified deaths as to underlying causes in NY thus far 1.72% did not have one or more of Diabetes, Lung Disease, Cancer, Immunodeficiency, Heart Disease, Hypertension, Asthma, Kidney Disease and GI/Liver Disease.

By this data only three people over the age of 75 without one or more of those diseases has died in NY. Three.

Then there was an ICU doctor as a guest on a talk show last nigh. He's had a decent number of patients wind up on vents with this virus. Every single one was overweight or obese and either diabetic or pre-diabetic.
Every
Single
One.
He's now started at admission treating all with hydroxychloroquine and Zpak and since starting that program immediately on admission says he has not had one wind up on a vent.

Looks like Italy has figured out where the virus is spreading..
https://www.cbc.ca/news/covid-19/italy- ... -1.5517520
BobSaget

Post by BobSaget »

cigar wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:40 pm just some more facts. Or politics, if you want to call it that. Draw your own conclusions..

https://www1.nyc.gov/assets/doh/downloa ... deaths.pdf

Out of the 1046 classified deaths as to underlying causes in NY thus far 1.72% did not have one or more of Diabetes, Lung Disease, Cancer, Immunodeficiency, Heart Disease, Hypertension, Asthma, Kidney Disease and GI/Liver Disease.

By this data only three people over the age of 75 without one or more of those diseases has died in NY. Three.

Then there was an ICU doctor as a guest on a talk show last nigh. He's had a decent number of patients wind up on vents with this virus. Every single one was overweight or obese and either diabetic or pre-diabetic.
Every
Single
One.
He's now started at admission treating all with hydroxychloroquine and Zpak and since starting that program immediately on admission says he has not had one wind up on a vent.

Looks like Italy has figured out where the virus is spreading..
https://www.cbc.ca/news/covid-19/italy- ... -1.5517520
Your audience would be much bigger and far more receptive at 4chan...
Stang5280

Post by Stang5280 »

cigar wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:40 pm Out of the 1046 classified deaths as to underlying causes in NY thus far 1.72% did not have one or more of Diabetes, Lung Disease, Cancer, Immunodeficiency, Heart Disease, Hypertension, Asthma, Kidney Disease and GI/Liver Disease.
Just because there is an underlying condition that exacerbates CoVid-19 does not mean that the virus was not the cause of death. It just means that these people are more susceptible to the effects of the virus, and it greatly accelerated their demise (i.e. caused their death). Plenty of them were managing to live their lives perfectly fine prior to contracting CoVid-19. How many people are dying from asthma or hypertension alone?

Besides, you are talking about a large portion of Americans who have these underlying conditions. Are we just going to wave off the fact that CoVid-19 will potentially be deadly to a large segment of our population who are vulnerable?
Wise Old Man

Post by Wise Old Man »

To All,

As someone who travels extensively for his job -- was in Alaska 5 different times from August thru February and had to go thru Seattle each time -- I have been aware of and trying to gain as much knowledge as possible regarding Covid in order to maximize my ability to keep myself and, my family safe. To be fair, although both the information that "Cigar" is providing along with his interpretation of that information is significantly different in comparison to that which is currently available from the "mainstream media" (I use that phrase in quotes simply as an identifier of what it actually is and not with any negative connotation as that's all I watch) as well as that coming from the vast majority of medical experts -- infectious disease/epidemiology/critical care -- just because it's completely different and provides a starkly different perspective on what our current and future actions should be, doesn't mean it should be dismissed completely out of hand. Especially when he presents it as effectively as he did.

Still, despite "Cigar's" contention that the math involved is so basic, fractions were never my thing so, I'm not exactly sure some of his computations are correct. Part of that is due to which keyboard characters he uses for multiplication and division. :) Regardless, I also didn't interpret his initial post as being or suggesting an outward political perspective. To All,

As someone who travels extensively for his job -- was in Alaska 5 different times from August thru February and had to go thru Seattle each time -- I have been aware of and trying to gain as much knowledge as possible regarding Covid in order to maximize my ability to keep myself and, my family safe. To be fair, although both the information that "Cigar" is providing along with his interpretation of that information is significantly different in comparison to that which is currently available from the "mainstream media" (I use that phrase in quotes simply as an identifier of what it actually is and not with any negative connotation as that's all I watch) as well as that coming from the vast majority of medical experts -- infectious disease/epidemiology/critical care -- just because it's completely different and provides a starkly different perspective on what our current and future actions should be, doesn't mean it should be dismissed completely out of hand. Especially when he presents it as effectively as he did.

Still, despite "Cigar's" contention that the math involved is so basic, fractions were never my thing so, I'm not exactly sure some of his computations are correct. Part of that is due to which keyboard characters he uses for multiplication and division. :) Regardless, I also didn't interpret his initial post as being or suggesting an outward political perspective.
Wise Old Man

Post by Wise Old Man »

Oops, my bad. My previous post should read like this;

To All,

Still, despite "Cigar's" contention that the math involved is so basic, fractions were never my thing so, I'm not exactly sure some of his computations are correct. Part of that is due to which keyboard characters he uses for multiplication and division. :) Regardless, I also didn't interpret his initial post as being or suggesting an outward political perspective. Were there a couple of words/phrases that could be interpreted as such -- KungFlu being one? Sure. But the overall content didn't strike me as being at all political. To be fair, as much as I agree that it is probably best to reduce/prevent any obvious political preaching or politically based attacks in these specific forums as possible, the reality is we are living in extremely politicized times in this country. Thus, it will probably be very difficult to completely eliminate those types of comments from occasionally leaking in here and there. To me -- and not to put too much more responsibility on the moderators' already stressed shoulders, that is the type of thing they are supposed to officiate/judge as they arise AND, we as users will need to trust that they will exercise that authority with as much integrity and neutrality of a Wes McCauley officiated hockey game! :wink:

To close, I'm going to take "Cigar's" information and keep it in mind as I continue to read and listen to information presented by the other experts making themselves available to us in these challenging times.
kpryan88

Post by kpryan88 »

I read most of the posts, but near the end of page 2, my head started to hurt and my eyes got crossed. 😂

My wife is a nurse and she tested positive for the COVID. Me not our 4 kids are showing any symptoms, so I signed up to do a study to try to help researchers understand how I can stay symptom free, while my type 1 diabetic wife is secluded in our room fighting this virus. All of cigar’s post was interesting to read, I really can’t get behind it. In Western Washington, we have data analytics that are showing that social distancing and stay at home orders are working. Western WA started as one of the hot spots in the country, now we’re down to 10th most cases. Our population in the greater Seattle/Tacoma metro area is similar to the population in the Twin Cities metro area. There are verifiable statistics that show the curve is bending here. I don’t agree with your math at all.
How can I do anything? The U of WA is doing a study to see how people in close contact with someone who tested positive and didn’t show any symptoms. The good news is I’ll be getting tested 14 times in the next 28 days while I participate. Hopefully I can help researchers figure out how covid works, I think. There is information in the link below. Hopefully you all are staying safe and healthy. Best of luck to you all as we work our way through this!

https://depts.washington.edu/covid19pep/about/
east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey »

kpryan88 wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:57 am I read most of the posts, but near the end of page 2, my head started to hurt and my eyes got crossed. 😂

My wife is a nurse and she tested positive for the COVID. Me not our 4 kids are showing any symptoms, so I signed up to do a study to try to help researchers understand how I can stay symptom free, while my type 1 diabetic wife is secluded in our room fighting this virus. All of cigar’s post was interesting to read, I really can’t get behind it. In Western Washington, we have data analytics that are showing that social distancing and stay at home orders are working. Western WA started as one of the hot spots in the country, now we’re down to 10th most cases. Our population in the greater Seattle/Tacoma metro area is similar to the population in the Twin Cities metro area. There are verifiable statistics that show the curve is bending here. I don’t agree with your math at all.
How can I do anything? The U of WA is doing a study to see how people in close contact with someone who tested positive and didn’t show any symptoms. The good news is I’ll be getting tested 14 times in the next 28 days while I participate. Hopefully I can help researchers figure out how covid works, I think. There is information in the link below. Hopefully you all are staying safe and healthy. Best of luck to you all as we work our way through this!

https://depts.washington.edu/covid19pep/about/
kpryan, best of luck to you and your family as you deal with this.

Lee
Message Board arsonist since 2005
Egomaniac since 2006
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

ditto

to all of us
blueblood

Post by blueblood »

krypan -

Praying for you. And to Mr. elliott's point; all of us.
Play Like a Champion Today
goldy313

Post by goldy313 »

Krypan....good luck to you and your family. Luckily for your family Type II diabetics seem to be at a far greater risk for poor outcomes.

I saw a study out of a hospital group in Washington DC that found no patients (so far)under 70 who tested positive ended up in the ICU who didn’t have an underlying condition. Of those that ended up in the ICU nearly all were type II diabetics with a BMI of at least 33....the others either were recipients of a transplant, HIV positive, therefore immunosuppressed or had a lung disease.

FWIW, if you don’t want to read it or don’t care then don’t read this thread. I have found it pretty much apolitical, where it could very easily veer off into that.

One last thing, healthcare as we used to know it will never be the same again. You are seeing major hospitals and clinics in the state laying off and furloughing people. Many will never come back. Fewer will take up these professions in the future. Mayo employs something like 60,000 people and they won’t be able to pay people to not work for much longer. Then there are all the outpatient orthopedic centers, clinics, etc. they won’t open for months, even when this clears it will take awhile to build up supplies such as PPE to even open the doors again. That is a question for others to figure out but the answers won’t be easy.
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

Goldy , how are you doing symptomwise right now ?
O-townClown

Post by O-townClown »

I'm lost here and certainly wouldn't come to phpBB HighSchoolHockeyForums.com to understand infectious disease.....BUT

Cigar posts a bunch of numbers and says here are the facts, then posts something indicating that people dying from Covid-19 have co-morbidities. Is there any debate over that? Yes, the reason to prevent spreading the Coronavirus is because we don't want anyone to get sick and we certainly don't want some people to die any earlier than they have to. Isn't that a characteristic of a civilized society?

Hoping that all members of the forum board can steer clear of the 'Rona and shake it quickly if they become infected. Looking forward to hockey talk.
Be kind. Rewind.