To all of us 'creepy' old guys that watch High school Hockey

The Only Forum for Non-Hockey Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

mj79

To all of us 'creepy' old guys that watch High school Hockey

Post by mj79 »

Well I guess I made the mistake of telling my fiends I went to the East CEC game , and there reply was to the likes of: WHAT, why, I was a creepy bastard, pedophile etc . ( mainly just friend sarcasm and being smartasses )

Well Im 30 now, but just love to watch hockey, But being the wonderful friends they are 8) , I usually get harrassed pretty good for saying I go to a HS game.. ESPECIALLY the state tournament.. " You go all the way to the cities to watch a bunch of HS kids play hockey? right.."

So I know most of you in here probably have more mature friends than I do :lol: , But the sh!t just gets old..Any of you ever have issues like this? I mean yea , the girls at the games are mostly very pretty but they are young enough to almost be my daughters.. Especially when you notice a '12" on the side of their letter jacket.. :?

Sorry guys , I guess I'm just creepy because I like to watch East hockey...???
breakout

Post by breakout »

I go to high school football & hockey games. It's entertaining and it's great value. The young athletes work hard. Why not show support for the home team.
Nonamer

Post by Nonamer »

Befriend their parents, and be careful what you say.
PoniesDad45

Post by PoniesDad45 »

Put me in the creepy camp. The only college football I enjoy is Division III (St Olaf, Carlton, St Johns, Gustavus) the kids are real students of the game and they play their hearts out. People give me a weird look when I say we are going to a St Olaf football game and our daughter graduated in 2007!

I'll go down to Bielenberg and watch Woodbury whenever I get a chance or the Ponies in Stillwater but we are always so busy with other hockey committments it doesn't work out often.
Teak

Post by Teak »

Creepy because you attend high school ice hockey games? Naw. Creepy is when you attempt to get an invite to a slumber party.....

The last time I went to a game at Aldrich, I remember that the women were pretty well covered with winter clothing. Nothing sexy about that.
mj79

Post by mj79 »

Nonamer wrote:Befriend their parents, and be careful what you say.
??? Im not there to make friends or get in close with parents to hit on their 16 yr old daughters man.. Im there to watch hockey :roll:
Goldfishdude

Post by Goldfishdude »

Teak wrote:Creepy because you attend high school ice hockey games? Naw. Creepy is when you attempt to get an invite to a slumber party.....
The last time I went to a game at Aldrich, I remember that the women were pretty well covered with winter clothing. Nothing sexy about that.
Classic Teak..... :lol: \:D/ =D> even creepier when you accept!!!

No, this isn't odd... I was just talking to one of the single moms from our team just last week that lives near a rink. She goes to many games just to go watch, doesn't matter who is playing. She loves hockey.

It's the general philosophy of amateur sports is you get an honest effort, not the Randy Moss "i play when i want to play" mentality.

Just tell your pals thet they must be jealous, because you have more 18-year-old senior phone numbers at your age now than any of them had when they were 18.
mj79

Post by mj79 »

Goldfishdude wrote:
Teak wrote:Creepy because you attend high school ice hockey games? Naw. Creepy is when you attempt to get an invite to a slumber party.....
Classic Teak..... :lol: \:D/ =D> even creepier when you accept!!!

No, this isn't odd... I was just talking to one of the single moms from our team just last week that lives near a rink. She goes to many games just to go watch, doesn't matter who is playing. She loves hockey.

It's the general philosophy of amateur sports is you get an honest effort, not the Randy Moss "i play when i want to play" mentality.

Just tell your pals thet they must be jealous, because you have more 18-year-old senior phone numbers at your age now than any of them had when they were 18.
haha, good wording cuz "senior" might have been a little borderline pre 18 creepy :) . Yea the are hypocrites . Guaranteed if they went , there eyes would wonder quite a bit.. I will say this tho... I was a 97 grad, and the girls Now look 1000 times better. I mean half of them look like college seniors :shock:

I will say this tho.. Why couldnt girls back then look as good as they do now.. Damn it sucks getting old
redfirehockey1

Post by redfirehockey1 »

wow. i'm in college and can't even look at high school girls without feeling creepy.

stop looking at underage girls, creeps
Goldfishdude

Post by Goldfishdude »

I know how to cover my butt, mj79...... :twisted:

and I am only "teasing" when I say this - but my son's teammates will point some out to me, and say.. 'Whaddya think of that one Mr. Goldfishdude?"... and I would just politely say that spending 3-5 years in the slammer would be worth it!!

It's just for laughs.... because I am a decent dad.....don't anybody get their undies in a bundle ... don't call Dateline.....

My second wife hasn't even been born yet!!!!
mj79

Post by mj79 »

redfirehockey1 wrote:wow. i'm in college and can't even look at high school girls without feeling creepy.

What are we supposed to do? Wear blinders and walk with our head down? Sorry its not easy to avoid actually looking, when I walk.. :roll: you make it sound like i bring binoculars to the game and stare at the student section, and I haven't done that for at least 2-3 years.. so chill Big bad college guy
Goldfishdude

Post by Goldfishdude »

mj79 wrote:
redfirehockey1 wrote:wow. i'm in college and can't even look at high school girls without feeling creepy.

What are we supposed to do? Wear blinders and walk with our head down? Sorry its not easy to avoid actually looking, when I walk.. :roll: you make it sound like i bring binoculars to the game and stare at the student section, and I haven't done that for at least 2-3 years.. so chill Big bad college guy
:oops: oh oh...... :lol: another classic line.... C'mon... I look at the fat dads, look at the hairy rink attendants, look at the grandmas with canes, and I look at my program... None of them make me go :shock: .. so relax....
HShockeywatcher

Post by HShockeywatcher »

Lee must be out watching hockey tonight. This is ridiculous; grown men engaging in this conversation on a HOCKEY forum is completely inappropriate. Hopefully Lee checks on this soon.
mj79

Post by mj79 »

HShockeywatcher wrote:Lee must be out watching hockey tonight. This is ridiculous; grown men engaging in this conversation on a HOCKEY forum is completely inappropriate. Hopefully Lee checks on this soon.
oh come on man, its all just sarcasm and joking around.. Not being able to take a joke on ( for once ) an original thread in this forum ( relating to hockey ) is "completely inappropriate.. Would you mind expressing whats so bad about my thread? It was a legit question, and I believe most of the responses in here were valid answers to the first post... :?
east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey »

HShockeywatcher wrote:Lee must be out watching hockey tonight. This is ridiculous; grown men engaging in this conversation on a HOCKEY forum is completely inappropriate. Hopefully Lee checks on this soon.
Lee was at Bentleyville....you know, the one Duluth stole from Cloquet. Image

I'm there to watch hockey, but I'm not blind to the various "distractions" which cross my field of vision. I made the comment to Karl the other night that "it's one thing to say they're young enough to be my daughter, but I'm now borderline at the age to say they're young enough to be my granddaughter!". That, more than anything, is creepy to me. The cruel passage of time.

Lee
Message Board arsonist since 2005
Egomaniac since 2006
east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey »

mj79 wrote:
oh come on man, its all just sarcasm and joking around.. Not being able to take a joke on ( for once ) an original thread in this forum ( relating to hockey ) is "completely inappropriate.. Would you mind expressing whats so bad about my thread? It was a legit question, and I believe most of the responses in here were valid answers to the first post... :?
HSHW was playing with you. :)

Lee
Message Board arsonist since 2005
Egomaniac since 2006
mj79

Post by mj79 »

east hockey wrote:
mj79 wrote:
HSHW was playing with you. :)

Lee
We are all full of sarcasm :)

Sorry Lee if this was a thread that shouldn't have been posted, But I just wanted to see other peoples opinions on the situation.. But its good to know that you feel the same way as I do .. Gramps...

Kidding! :D
Goldfishdude

Post by Goldfishdude »

My second wife still hasn't been born yet....... :wink:
defense

Re: To all of us 'creepy' old guys that watch High school Ho

Post by defense »

mj79 wrote:Well I guess I made the mistake of telling my fiends I went to the East CEC game , and there reply was to the likes of: WHAT, why, I was a creepy bastard, pedophile etc . ( mainly just friend sarcasm and being smartasses )

Well Im 30 now, but just love to watch hockey, But being the wonderful friends they are 8) , I usually get harrassed pretty good for saying I go to a HS game.. ESPECIALLY the state tournament.. " You go all the way to the cities to watch a bunch of HS kids play hockey? right.."

So I know most of you in here probably have more mature friends than I do :lol: , But the sh!t just gets old..Any of you ever have issues like this? I mean yea , the girls at the games are mostly very pretty but they are young enough to almost be my daughters.. Especially when you notice a '12" on the side of their letter jacket.. :?

Sorry guys , I guess I'm just creepy because I like to watch East hockey...???
My wife pretty much thinks I am a loser when I go to the games....so do the friends.........
I just like hockey...... 8)
O-townClown

HS athletics

Post by O-townClown »

A friend has a son who was a McD AA in basketball. The games were 5 bucks or less, were over in 80 minutes, and were a blast. I'd go to about 7 or 8 a year for the four years he was in HS.

My wife asked me about the HS girls. I was in my mid-30s at the time. All I could think was how young they looked and how the girls when I was in HS were much better looking.

In fact, the attractive person to me was actually the cheerleading coach...and she was probably early 40s.

I think it is ridiculous that people find it weird some adults like attending community HS sports. Unlike Kevin Love and Adrian Peterson, these kids are most likely playing their final seasons and the effort reflects that. Nothing against pro sports, but how much can you give when you play 80 games in different cities over a six month period while earning more money per paycheck than your dad makes annually?

There are more attractive girls at any pro sporting event, with or without including the danceline.

Viva HS Sports. I am watching My Fox right now, which kind of proves it is the on-ice and not the bleachers.
Be kind. Rewind.
Teak

Post by Teak »

The only high school sport that I felt creepy watching was girls volleyball. I coached the girls team at my school for several years, so I used to go watch the better high schools play to get ideas for improving my squad. Basically, in the stands were (1) parents of players, (2) boyfriends (just a few) of players, and (3) me.

For ice hockey, I see no issues: there is a big difference between the outfits that volleyball players wear, and the winter parkas that female fans wear to ice hockey games. What I do like to do, however, is listen in on high school girl conversations. E.g.,

"So, Betty was, like, soooooooooo boring; you know, going on and on about Billy...."
"Yeah, I know what you mean. Got any gum?"
".....and you know, Billy, is like, so NOT for her....."
"Do you think this scarf matches my boots good enough?"

:lol:
mj79

Post by mj79 »

Teak wrote:The only high school sport that I felt creepy watching was girls volleyball. I coached the girls team at my school for several years, so I used to go watch the better high schools play to get ideas for improving my squad. Basically, in the stands were (1) parents of players, (2) boyfriends (just a few) of players, and (3) me.

For ice hockey, I see no issues: there is a big difference between the outfits that volleyball players wear, and the winter parkas that female fans wear to ice hockey games. What I do like to do, however, is listen in on high school girl conversations. E.g.,

"So, Betty was, like, soooooooooo boring; you know, going on and on about Billy...."

My gf says that :( Shes a shopaholic ... But She just asks me NOT for my apparel input, but for me to compliment her... I hate women sometimes :?
Goldfishdude

Post by Goldfishdude »

Teak wrote:The only high school sport that I felt creepy watching was girls volleyball. I coached the girls team at my school for several years, so I used to go watch the better high schools play to get ideas for improving my squad. Basically, in the stands were (1) parents of players, (2) boyfriends (just a few) of players, and (3) me.

Teak.... you may wanna start thinking of quitting that day job of yours, and hitting the clubs with that humor!!! :P
5th Line Center

Post by 5th Line Center »

Goldfishdude wrote:

Teak.... you may wanna start thinking of quitting that day job of yours, and hitting the clubs with that humor!!! :P

I think Teak has given us a very sad but accurate account of a typical adolescent girl's conversation with her friend.

The girls are really cute, but they don't seem to have the intellect or verbal aptitude to match. :cry:

Well, maybe they were just as silly back in my high school days...I was just too enamored by them to realize it! :oops:
Teak

Post by Teak »

Goldfishdude wrote:Teak.... you may wanna start thinking of quitting that day job of yours, and hitting the clubs with that humor!!! :P
Only if I could tell jokes like Mitch Hedberg told them. Sigh, Mitch R.I.P.

I have taught high school and college-age students for 21 years now, so I think that I have that mindset down quite well.

One anecdote. My first girls volleyball team had some nice-looking ladies who went with the big hair popular in the 1980s (this was around 1986). At our first tournament, where we finished 6th out of 8, some high school boys from another schools kept coming to our matches. Afterwards, while the girls were in the showers, these boys came up to me and started a conversation. It went something like this:

"Hi, coach. Good team you got."
"Really?" I responded. "We only finished 6th; but, yeah they did pretty well for their first tournament."
"Gosh, coach, your team was our favorite. We were rooting for you."
"Gee, thanks; that was nice of you."
"Yeah, your girls might not have been the best, but they were the purtiest."