2006-07 Bantam B1 preview

Discussion of Minnesota Youth Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

MNHockeyObserver

Post by MNHockeyObserver »

Do you even know EagleGuy? What he does? Who he is? Ever ask him his schedule? Ever have a conversation with him? Ever ask the people around him how much he's at the rink . . . or rinks. If you answered no to any of the above, then you might not be as enlightened to suggest who goes to the rink more.

Frankly, I don't even like the guy.
ShootPassScore

Post by ShootPassScore »

I dont think Ice Breaker knew that EagleGuy is Black's coach. Ease up on him. He's kidding. No one is contesting Breaker is not at the rink. We know he is. The Man in Black is just saying he's not revealing his positives and negatives. Honest mistake, I'm sure.

EagleGuy is Centennial Red a top 5 team or not? Who is your top 5? Observer who is your top 5?

Mine:

1. The Blue
2. Edina White
3. The Black
4. Burnsville
5. Centennial Red
EagleGuy91

Post by EagleGuy91 »

The Original Reds are certainly a Top 5 team in my opinion. The coaches there do a great job with their talent each year and they struggle with a lot of the same issues as we all do. It is so early in the season that it's hard to view them as anything but a Top 5.

One team I think we may be forgetting is Princeton. Kind of hard for me to forget that team at this point. They do not have a Bantam A team this season and were a State Participant last year (anyone besides me remember who they beat to get to State?). I don't know how many returners they will have, but they may sneak up on people.

As for the Top 5 . . .I'm going to cheat . . . I'm listing the EP Black team as #6 for right now, for two reasons. Burnsville proved they/us/them/we have weaknesess and can be beaten. And because I don't like ranking my own squad. Do with it what you will.

#5. (tie) East/Blaine
#4. Red
#3. Green (only because they beat Red)
#2. White (only because they beat Green)
#1. Anyting but Boring Blue. (No wins this year and a winning streak that goes back about 7-8 months.)

You have an interesting cycle going on that kind of sums up Bantam B hockey . . . Green beat Burnsville @ Richfield, Bville beat EP Black in Dist play, Black beat Blake in a scrimmage and Blake turned around and tied White in a scrimmage . . . White, of course, beat Green completing the circle of life. There other circles out there, but that's just an example of the parity (or inconsistency?) at this level. The bodies are the same each night, but what the kids do with them can be completely different from day to day.
Hockey guy1486

Burnsville

Post by Hockey guy1486 »

I don't think Burnsville is all they are cracked up to be. They are small and their goalies have played very well so far.
my2cents

top teams

Post by my2cents »

I have seen most of the top teams play so far. Here's how I'd stack them.

1) Wayzata Blue
2) Duluth East
3) Edina White

Close behind in no particular order.

Edina Green, EP Black, Blaine, Blake, Maple Grove, Centennial Red

I don't think Princeton kept a lot from last year. Chisago Lakes may be the one to watch for "no A team" prowess.

Be prepared for a lot of inconsistency.
blueblood

Duluth East Bantam B1

Post by blueblood »

Anyone got a report on the greyhounds?

EagleGuy91 - what do you know? You've been in a information sharing mode for most of the season?

What about MNHO? Where have you been scouting lately? Are you flying into WBSC for the "Moose"?
blueblood

EP Red vs. Tonka tonight at EP Main

Post by blueblood »

Any thoughts on this game?

Tonka has a pretty good record coming into the game and looks like they are scoring a lot of goals.

They beat Tartan 5-0 and 9-1. WBL Orange beat Tartan 6-0 if that's any indication.

I bet you EagleGuy91 will be there! What about you MNHO? Are you going to be exchanging notes with EagleGuy!
ShootPassScore

Post by ShootPassScore »

I would guess that Minnetonka will get beat. They have a good record but look at their competition. Its possible they will give them a good game. The main thing to look at is EP Red has had many scrimmages versus tough opponents and a good record thus far. If you're Minnetonka I can see why you would want to build confidence early in the season, but when you get to the big boys like EP Red there is no way they can be prepared for that playing the teams they did in the pre league warmup.

Anyone have scores from D10, D2, D3 league play how about D8? Anyone, anyone, anyone...... :-k
EagleGuy91

Post by EagleGuy91 »

Sadly, I will not be at this game tonight. Have my own team events to contend with. Will be looking for the score and report as soon as it's over, though!

The Observer has gone into hybernation. Afraid of being critiqued or accused of not going to the rink, maybe. I secretly think he's worried that his Moose predictions will flop and he'll be made the laughing stock of the Board. :^o Last time I heard from him, he was in Ely scouting the Squirt Bs and flying a twin-prop pontoon across to suburban Thunder Bay to pick up prescription drugs, future goalies and single hockey moms as part of the NAFTA Trade Pact. Although, I don't think he had anything to trade, so it was strictly smuggling. I sent him the bracket for Roseville's upcoming tournament and was hoping to wake him into another shaky, but poignant prediction of a tournament. Probably being held up at Customs with my Cubans.

Sorry Big Blue, nothing I know about the East Enders. Haven't heard anything that you already haven't. I just rely on my weekly LPH for all my up-to-the-week hockey info . . .I oughta get paid for that line. Maybe just a comp subscription. Bring your crackberries to the EP Main and post that scores asap! [-o<
blueblood

EagleGuy

Post by blueblood »

Isn't EagleGuy the best, plus he gets in a few more digs on the MNHO!

I will get the score updated as soon as I can with a full report of the action. See you next week at the "Moose" where we both will get a first hand look at the Hounds of the Harbor versus the Skippers and the Whites vs the Blues. 8)
theoneandonly

Post by theoneandonly »

Edina White vs. Jefferson on saturday, whos going to win?
ice00breaker

Post by ice00breaker »

Edina White 4-1 is my guess
ice00breaker

Post by ice00breaker »

LPH is out, once agaain whoever gets it first post it. I hate how they went to putting only the top 5 online now. What is up with that?
blueblood

Tonka vs. EP Red

Post by blueblood »

EP Red holds on for a 6-4 win at the EPCC Main Rink.

Tonka dug a deep hole and was down 5-1 after 2. The Skips fight back with 3, 3rd period goals to cut the lead to 5-4 with under a minute to play. EP Red gets an empy netter with 6 seconds to go to win 6-4.

Observations:

EP Red is fast and moves the puck well. Watch for the overload on the right wing side of the ice on the power play. From there they will bring the puck up to the half boards and into the slot area from there.

Tonka did not give up a goal playing 5 on 5 and out shot them for the game. They need to stay out of the box and outwork the other team, like they did in the 3rd against EP Red. If they do that, they will win a good share of D6 games.
IM4U2C

Post by IM4U2C »

My observation of the EP / Tonka game was that Tonka didn't play better. EP simply quit playing and their goalie gave up soft goals. EP was buzzing for 2 periods. Maybe EP needs work on conditioning.
blueblood

EP vs. Tonka

Post by blueblood »

You need to take off your red shaded sunglasses.

EP didn't give up and give Tonka some credit for not caving in. EP's coach is a former Tonka guy and there's no way he would let his team give up.

EP's goalie played a good game and gave up 1 bad goal, but that's youth hockey.
pioneer

Tonka/Red

Post by pioneer »

My unbiased opinion: Red considerably outplayed Tonka. They move the puck very nicely, are positionally sound but are smallish. Tonka on the other hand treated the puck like a hot potato and really forced the puck to the middle on the PP. Tonka doesn't have a ton of size either. Both teams' goalies looked a bit weak; a ton of rebounds. This game was much closer to the 5-1 end of 2nd period score than the 6-4 final. But give credit to Tonka for persistence. I also didn't get the impression that Red "gave up"; they just gave up some soft goals.
blueblood

EP Red vs Tonka

Post by blueblood »

I agree that overall, EP Red did outplay Tonka, but hockey is a 3 period game and both teams need to play consistently for 3 periods to stay in contention.

These 2 teams don't meet again until the end of the season.

Let's see what happens between now and then. It's a long season...
IM4U2C

Post by IM4U2C »

You mean one of the two assistant coaches for EP was an assistant coach at Minnetonka at the squirt level. (Had to make that point).
jaketownsend2000

Post by jaketownsend2000 »

i am a player for tonka i know that EP played a good game of hockey but i also know that We did not play our best hockey
IM4U2C

Post by IM4U2C »

Don't take things so seriously as I just tried to put some smart comments out there to see how many Tonka people are out there. To be honest, the shots were even. EP capitalized on every chance they got, Tonka didn't. With that said, does anyone have any info on Maple Grove?
jaketownsend2000

Any Idea how Tonka is ranked?

IM4U2C Where r u from
ice00breaker

Post by ice00breaker »

LPH Nov. 16

1. Wayzata Blue
2. Centennial Red
3. Eden Prairie Black
4. Edina White
5. Duluth East
6. Edina Green
7. Moorhead Black
8. Blaine
9. Burnsville
10. White Bear Black
11. Eden Prairie Red
12. Rochester Black
13. Blake
14. Chaska
15. White Bear Orange
16. Maple Grove
17. Stillwater
18. Woodbury
19. Roseau
20. Grand Rapids
jaketownsend2000

Anyone Tonka vs. edina White
ice00breaker

Post by ice00breaker »

I expected that Blue would come out against Blake and dominate the play after having 9 days off. But they lose their first game; 5-3