Ways to fix a dying forum

Discussion of Minnesota Youth Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

edgeless2

Ways to fix a dying forum

Post by edgeless2 »

Not exactly sure how this forum has gone to sleep? Does anyone have suggestions to get this thing back cookin again? Maybe do away with the AAA forum it seems like it has diluted the youth forum on the whole. Passionate and or controversial subjects? Banning JSR as he seems to kill every post he chimes in on :wink: . The banter at the rinks has not subsided in the least bit. Why are hockey folks staying away from here like its the plague? Make Bo they moderator in charge of stirring the pot. I have been on this forum since aught 8, and I love it. Is this just a kinder, gentler take on our craziness on the whole? I'd love to hear some ideas or maybe no one cares what the hockey geniuses have to say on an anonymous blog. The chasing off of YHH has not helped. You could say personal attacks have something to do with it, but my thought is, that's what makes this forum hum. Opposing thoughts while sometimes going right up to the line are important to spark more passionate other side of the coin debates. These are good things IMO. There are some fantastic hockey minds on this forum. Where have you gone. In my particular instance there was a poster who had all the answers a few years back. I believe he referred to himself as a sports psychologist. I gave this guy a hard time until the bitter end. I did this because I personally don't feel there is any one person or line of thought that is all knowing. Bring back the debate, bring back the intelligent well thought out topics, if you get ridiculed that is all part of the fun. All suggestions welcome including ripping me, bring it on!
bemused

Post by bemused »

3 words: Youth Hockey Hub
goaliedad31

Post by goaliedad31 »

Agree, YHH's positing on this site helped get the conversation started. It doesn't seem like people comment on YHH's articles on their own site. Don't know why.
As one who is learning all the ins and outs of the hockey world, I used to like this site and learned a lot (and of course like the occasional cat fight). Now it is just boring. Maybe the youth writers have aged out. It seems the high school forums are a lot more read.
LivinDaDream

Post by LivinDaDream »

Its spring (finally) / summer. Give it a rest...and enjoy the ride. Just like the kids need a break.
SCBlueLiner

Post by SCBlueLiner »

The combination of the creation of the AAA board and YHH disappearance caused the traffic here to drop quite a bit. It's also the slow time of year but that never stopped discussion in years past.
Froggy Richards

Post by Froggy Richards »

Is it actually possible that people are burnt out on Hockey? My kid has been on the ice Since late August and I can't wait to hang up the skates in another week and not even think about Hockey. It was a long, brutal winter and now that the weather is finally nice I'm in full on Baseball mode. I agree that it does seem more quiet than usual, however. Hockey is great but all good things have to end, albeit briefly. August will be here again before we know it.
old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 »

Bring back the AAA talk. Bring back Tony. Bring back The Puck !!!!!
SCBlueLiner

Post by SCBlueLiner »

Froggy Richards wrote:Is it actually possible that people are burnt out on Hockey? My kid has been on the ice Since late August and I can't wait to hang up the skates in another week and not even think about Hockey. It was a long, brutal winter and now that the weather is finally nice I'm in full on Baseball mode. I agree that it does seem more quiet than usual, however. Hockey is great but all good things have to end, albeit briefly. August will be here again before we know it.
After going to my kid's (U12) doubleheader baseball game a couple nights ago I cannot wait for hockey season to start again. After 6 innings of 0-0 baseball with a minimum of action and even less successful base hits the game ended walk, HBP, walk, fielder's choice (safe at home due to a horrible call by the ump who I am sure just wanted to end all of our misery by ending the game). I guess you could say it was a pitcher's duel. Game 2 wasn't much better.

I miss the rink already.
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

I could dream that it's because people realize they've exhausted some of the most tiresome topics...but, nah, I've been around here for too long to expect people to ever do that. ;-)

I think people got a bit reliant on YHH for topics here. This place was plenty active before Tony came along, but when he stopped posting, there was a hole that hasn't quite been filled yet. His site does a good job of collecting scores, etc.--the basic stuff that we used to do on here, but no longer do very much. He also has more control over his content than this forum does, which gives him more freedom to name names and talk up kids without fear of them being torn down by other commenters. I know some people have an issue with that, and are often annoyed by things some of his other writers write, but controversy generates page views, and apparently he was at the point where he didn't think he needed to post his articles here to grab eyeballs.

Beyond that, I'm not sure why Tony left (my interactions with him were always amiable), but in the end, he has his own big project that I'm sure takes lots of time. (He's also making money off his site--not sure to what extent, but that will change the calculus; he has to sell himself some. That's just the nature of the beast.) It's an ambitious operation; I guess we'll see how it evolves.

The creation of the AAA forum wasn't an attempt to shut up talk about summer programs; it was just an attempt to divert the endless "come play for my program" spam that often appears here. I tried to make that clear at the time, but I hope no one thought it was an attempt to quiet discussion about certain topics.

In the meantime, this forum will go on being this forum, and if you don't think there's enough discussion of something, you're free to take some prerogative and get things going again. Brick thread, anyone? :P
DrGaf

Post by DrGaf »

The forum seems lively enough come winter seasons ... I juts think after the long winter, people are tired of having the old Machine V Blades arguments.

No one cares anymore, it's not a hot topic.

I'm just here to make snide remarks to fill in the time between doing cover sheets for my TPS reports.
Sorry, fresh out, Don't Really Give Any.
InigoMontoya

Post by InigoMontoya »

After going to my kid's (U12) doubleheader baseball game a couple nights ago I cannot wait for hockey season to start again.
Amen. Thank goodness lacrosse is growing; it's like hockey with sunflower seeds.