Good "B" Squirt teams

Discussion of Minnesota Youth Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

iseepalms

Good "B" Squirt teams

Post by iseepalms »

Has anyone seen any good B Squirt teams yet?
iseepalms

Post by iseepalms »

Edina should be loaded.
jg2112

Post by jg2112 »

iseepalms wrote:Edina should be loaded.
Save yourself some time and make a macro for this statement, you can use it for any level, either gender.

White Bear has a couple good teams - one is coached by Brian Bonin.
Stillwater has a solid team as well.

Yes, I'm a D2 parent.
iseepalms

Post by iseepalms »

No macros, We should find out alot between this weekend tournaments and Thanksgiving Tourney"s.
DevilNation

Post by DevilNation »

Hudson has a good team, in 4 games has outscored District 2 teams 27 to 1. One of those 4 teams was Brian Bonin's Whit Bear (Grey) team which lost 5 to 1.
57special

Post by 57special »

Talent in Edina might be diluted. Having two A teams and 6 B teams will do that.
iseepalms

Post by iseepalms »

I don't think anyone should feel sorry for Edina they choose to go with two A Squirt teams which I applaud but the problem comes in with their B Squirt teams, Why wouldn't they just have two good B Squirt teams and have maybe two B2's and then have 8 C Squirts. From what I have seen in some of the scores some of their B Squirt teams are getting blown out and that does not help anyone.
Bluewhitefan

Post by Bluewhitefan »

iseepalms wrote:I don't think anyone should feel sorry for Edina they choose to go with two A Squirt teams which I applaud but the problem comes in with their B Squirt teams, Why wouldn't they just have two good B Squirt teams and have maybe two B2's and then have 8 C Squirts. From what I have seen in some of the scores some of their B Squirt teams are getting blown out and that does not help anyone.
Why? So their squirt B teams could go 31-5? They've done just fine at Squirt B fielding a lot of teams. D6 doesn't have B1/B2 designation at squirts - nor should they.
iseepalms

Post by iseepalms »

Why not the rest of their teams are doing that at least they are competing.
penguinos

Post by penguinos »

iseepalms wrote:I don't think anyone should feel sorry for Edina they choose to go with two A Squirt teams which I applaud but the problem comes in with their B Squirt teams, Why wouldn't they just have two good B Squirt teams and have maybe two B2's and then have 8 C Squirts. From what I have seen in some of the scores some of their B Squirt teams are getting blown out and that does not help anyone.
Its not a problem to have more kids playing at a higher level. The Edinas of the world have in the past fielded too few higher level teams which has lead others to do the same to compete. Im glad to see associations fielding less C teams and more B and A teams this year.
C-dad

Post by C-dad »

penguinos wrote:
Its not a problem to have more kids playing at a higher level. The Edinas of the world have in the past fielded too few higher level teams which has lead others to do the same to compete. Im glad to see associations fielding less C teams and more B and A teams this year.
+1
57special

Post by 57special »

D6 does not allow for B1/B2 at the Squirt level.
iseepalms

Post by iseepalms »

Let's stay on topic: The question was and now we are into February, Has anyone seen any "Good "B" Squirt teams and please comment why.
PuckRanger

Post by PuckRanger »

iseepalms wrote:Let's stay on topic: The question was and now we are into February, Has anyone seen any "Good "B" Squirt teams and please comment why.
Just for the heck of it, I'll throw in the teams I've seen, albeit its quite limited to the northeast, D11 and D12, more specifically. I generally wouldn't put much stock into squirt "B" results... or squirt results in general though.

Virginia Blue is undefeated at 16-0-1. Best passing team I've seen at this level this in a long time. Two really good players on this team that only has 9 skaters. The others are solid and they have a pretty good goalie.

Eveleth-Gilbert Gold is 21-2-1 and is probably the most traveled team in the area with many games outside the district. A handful of very skilled players on this team.

Eveleth-Gilbert Black is 15-4 and has lost to Virginia Blue by just one goal. They have also beaten Virginia Grey, which is also a very good team. They have one of the smoothest skaters and stick handlers in the area on this team.

International Falls Purple. I don't know their exact record, but they are the team that tied Virginia Blue and they have two bigger kids that are very strong and can skate and stick handle. They have beaten the other two Virginia teams and given Eveleth Gold a run. They also probably have the best goalie in the area.

Virginia Grey is 14-2 with its losses being one-goal games with Eveleth-Gilbert Black and I Falls Purple. The best player in the district (in my opinion) is on this team. Small team with only 10 skaters. One major drawback is they do not have a full-time goalie, and utilize the roster rotation system... which might make their record even more impressive.

Virginia White is 17-3. Lost in the championship of the Twig outdoor tournament and had a one-goal loss to I Falls Purple. Only bad game was against Eveleth-Gilbert Gold, but their best player spent 16 minutes of that game in the penalty box. That player is one of the best in the area, and they have a couple other players that can skate as well. Another smaller team with only 10 skaters.

Those 6 teams are very dominant in the limited area they play, including over many of the D11 Duluth area teams. Some of the scores might be mistaken for football scores. Nobody else close to them in D12.

I am looking forward to seeing a few other teams at the Virginia tournament in 3 weeks, especially the highly touted undefeated Johnson Como (22-0-1) team. It will be good to see exactly where all these teams fit in to the grand scheme of things since 4 of the teams I just mentioned are in that tournament along with a good mix of quality teams from all over the state.
iseepalms

Post by iseepalms »

Hudson has a well coached team and have only lost once to Faribaults "A" team in the Hudson tourney. They have not lost in District 2 games.