How many 02 AAA teams are out there ??

Discussion of Minnesota Youth Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

DrGaf

Post by DrGaf »

SCBlueLiner wrote:Dr. Gaf,

I wouldn't blame that on local hockey. I would blame your son being pigeonholed as a defensman on a shortsighted coach. Kids at Squirts and PeeWees should get experience playing C, W, and D. It will only help their overall game and make them better at whatever they end up doing.

That being said, I think you should be happy your son played D at an early age. Young D generally develop better overall skating skills than forwards. It might be ice time since less D are carried on a team, but I think it has more to do with skating backwards, pivoting, transition skating, etc. that make them stronger skaters.

I agree though, defense is where it's at.
Not what I meant at all ... I love local hockey. I believe the community model is what's best for the majority of youth hockey. (I said the majority, not the entirety!)

I was referring to skating with the same families all summer, all winter, rinse and repeat year after year after year. If kids are not given an opportunity in other situations you really never know what they have.

I am encouraging this next generation of hockey parents to get out of the local rink and teach your little Gretzky to fly. Take you kid to a tryout where they don't know the coach and or half the team already... they might surprise you.

Whatever, just my thoughts on it. :)
Sorry, fresh out, Don't Really Give Any.
old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 »

DR.G-I agree it is very good for a kid to go into a locker room where he knows no one & make freinds/buddys. At the same time alot of local options are cheaper $$$. I do think w/the amount of teams there should be a program for most kids.
SCBlueLiner

Post by SCBlueLiner »

OK. Now I see what you meant there Dr. G.

Thanks.
DrGaf

Post by DrGaf »

old goalie85 wrote:DR.G-I agree it is very good for a kid to go into a locker room where he knows no one & make freinds/buddys. At the same time alot of local options are cheaper $$$. I do think w/the amount of teams there should be a program for most kids.
I heard the United programs dropped their prices $400-$500 this year ... any truth to that? Mine are out of the AAA scene thank goodness!
Sorry, fresh out, Don't Really Give Any.
Tripod

Post by Tripod »

Two dads were standing together watching their kids play, one was a d-man the other the goalie. Opposing player comes roaring in, dangles the d and continues on in and roasts the goalie for a goal. The d-man's dad says to the goalies dad "Your kid was weak on that one"! The goalies dad responds, "Well, the guy fried your kid too". "Yes, but when he went around my kid the score was still 0 - 0".
This is nuts!

Post by This is nuts! »

Tripod wrote:Two dads were standing together watching their kids play, one was a d-man the other the goalie. Opposing player comes roaring in, dangles the d and continues on in and roasts the goalie for a goal. The d-man's dad says to the goalies dad "Your kid was weak on that one"! The goalies dad responds, "Well, the guy fried your kid too". "Yes, but when he went around my kid the score was still 0 - 0".
:D

:D
JoltDelivered

Post by JoltDelivered »

Tripod wrote:Two dads were standing together watching their kids play, one was a d-man the other the goalie. Opposing player comes roaring in, dangles the d and continues on in and roasts the goalie for a goal. The d-man's dad says to the goalies dad "Your kid was weak on that one"! The goalies dad responds, "Well, the guy fried your kid too". "Yes, but when he went around my kid the score was still 0 - 0".
OUTSTANDING material!
"I find tinsel distracting"