For what reason?

Discussion of Minnesota Youth Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Is this nuts?

Poll ended at Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:45 pm

YES
57%
NO
43%

Total votes: 23

MrBoDangles

For what reason?

Post by MrBoDangles »

I was looking at the D-10 website and still can't believe that associations have to play their 1-16 against their 17-32. Is anybody else able to see how ugly these games will get? Is there any good that can come from this? The hallway talk should be interesting monday mornings in school.

:roll:
Survey

Re: For what reason?

Post by Survey »

MrBoDangles wrote:I was looking at the D-10 website and still can't believe that associations have to play their 1-16 against their 17-32. Is anybody else able to see how ugly these games will get? Is there any good that can come from this? The hallway talk should be interesting monday mornings in school.

Easy fix...just cancel/forfeit those games. They don't mean anything anyway.
Bleed Maroon and Gold

Post by Bleed Maroon and Gold »

MrBoDangles wrote:I was looking at the D-10 website and still can't believe that associations have to play their 1-16 against their 17-32. Is anybody else able to see how ugly these games will get? Is there any good that can come from this? The hallway talk should be interesting monday mornings in school.

So what was wrong with this the last few years at the B1 and B2 levels. I know for certain some associations did not split there teams evenly, yes some did but most did not. So if this was last year and 17-32 played 33-48 why was this ok and no one ever complained about it. But now that we have AA and A it is totally wrong for 1-16 to play 17-32 that are not split evenly because they can do it that way now. So why is this any different than in the past?
:D
greybeard58

Post by greybeard58 »

It is ok for say Elk Rivers number 1 team to play a smaller association but not their number 2 team. This was ok where associations fielded more that one team at either the B1 or B2 levels. Since all games are counted in the Division standings to say these games mean nothing is wrong.

These teams are registered as "A" Bantams or "A" Peewees all the teams in each registered level will play each other, as to just a forfeit the District has a long standing policy against forfeits in league play.

Bo you were also informed earlier what the scheduling of games would be. All you had to do was look at the "A" Bantam schedule last year.
pro2b@3

Post by pro2b@3 »

I hope some of the A (B1) teams end up beating their associations AA (A) teams!

What difference does it make?

The NOW A (B1) would have played against other B1's in their association in past years. And don't say they were EVEN teams in the past, because obviously not true.
So out of 22 league games, only 1 is against their own.
Shinbone_News

Post by Shinbone_News »

Interesting. In D3, it looks like Wayzata AA peewees are playing an "independent" schedule -- a handful of games against single-As in the district, but otherwise playing against other AAs outside the district. They do not play Wayzata A's.

Someone in OMG didn't get the memo: As of right now (they don't have a full schedule up yet) they're playing only D3 teams, including OMG A's.

This all must be a scheduling nightmare! I'll have to check with the D3 administrator to hear what's going on, I'm certain it's a total goat rodeo. And we only have two AA teams in the district...

Of course, if they're AA, then standings in the conference aren't going to matter that much -- they're assured a place in the post-season as a AA.

The A teams all have 16 conference games. Minneapolis plays OMG--AA once and Wayzata-AA once.
ogelthorpe

Post by ogelthorpe »

Why is this so hard to believe? The whole point of AA was suppose to be a separate playoff, not a new level during the regular season. The minute MN Hockey allowed an association to have both AA and A teams they created this issue.

If they would have kept it simple like the original proposal to split only for playoffs, it would not have created this confusion and would have met the goal of letting the small associations best players get to state instead of the Mega's having another level to dominate.
MNM JMH

Post by MNM JMH »

Why is it hard to figure this out?

AA is only going to make the playoffs more competitive for the teams that are just that,,,,, AA. A ,,,,playoff are going to give the smaller enrollment schools a chance to win a title and play with teams of there caliber. Who cares if B1 is the new A. Now B1 teams will get to play for their own state title aswell.

Seems to me it should not matter what letter you are ,, AA, A,, b1,,,,, c..
Just a chance to play for a title is good enough for most KIDS ...!

This isn't collage and if your going to get noticed it really won't matter what letter you play at. Stop winning and move on. Not going to change it, just like the new rules /// checking, half ice mite pratices ,, hits to the head, No checking at peewees, and the list goes on. Oh and any other winning that MrBo has done.
pioneer

Post by pioneer »

MNM JMH wrote: This isn't collage ...
CLEARLY, this in not (ahem) "collage"...
MNM JMH

Post by MNM JMH »

College. All good.
penguinos

Post by penguinos »

I'm not sure what the problem would be if any two teams from the same association face off in an actual game.

It already happens often and the kids love to play against their friends; so what is the issue? Home game for both teams makes parent drivers happy...

As for lopsided games (not ideal) or upsets, well those do happen too and teams live on to play another game.
pioneer

Post by pioneer »

MNM JMH wrote:College. All good.
Sorry, couldn't resist. Guess I won't pile on about winning or whining...

As you say, it's all good!
old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 »

I thought is was weird at first. We played CL and it was 3-0. Good game. We never could play our freinds to north before. It was fun and competive.
JSR

Post by JSR »

pioneer wrote:
MNM JMH wrote: This isn't collage ...
CLEARLY, this in not (ahem) "collage"...
and I'm guessing he wants them to stop "whining" not "winning" :wink:
MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles »

old goalie85 wrote:I thought is was weird at first. We played CL and it was 3-0. Good game. We never could play our freinds to north before. It was fun and competive.
How would a game go between Forest Lake's 1-16 and Forest Lake's 17-32?

Would it be a good thing?

Do they do this in the football program and then play each other?
MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles »

MNM JMH wrote:Why is it hard to figure this out?

AA is only going to make the playoffs more competitive for the teams that are just that,,,,, AA. A ,,,,playoff are going to give the smaller enrollment schools a chance to win a title and play with teams of there caliber. Who cares if B1 is the new A. Now B1 teams will get to play for their own state title aswell.

Seems to me it should not matter what letter you are ,, AA, A,, b1,,,,, c..
Just a chance to play for a title is good enough for most KIDS ...!

This isn't collage and if your going to get noticed it really won't matter what letter you play at. Stop winning and move on. Not going to change it, just like the new rules /// checking, half ice mite pratices ,, hits to the head, No checking at peewees, and the list goes on. Oh and any other winning that MrBo has done.
Yes, all I do is win!

:P
old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 »

No nothing good could come from that. Not here in FL.
MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles »

ogelthorpe wrote:

Why is this so hard to believe? The whole point of AA was suppose to be a separate playoff, not a new level during the regular season. The minute MN Hockey allowed an association to have both AA and A teams they created this issue.

If they would have kept it simple like the original proposal to split only for playoffs, it would not have created this confusion and would have met the goal of letting the small associations best players get to state instead of the Mega's having another level to dominate.
It goes far beyond hard to believe.
DrGaf

Post by DrGaf »

MrBoDangles wrote:
old goalie85 wrote:I thought is was weird at first. We played CL and it was 3-0. Good game. We never could play our freinds to north before. It was fun and competive.
How would a game go between Forest Lake's 1-16 and Forest Lake's 17-32?

Would it be a good thing?

Do they do this in the football program and then play each other?
I don't like the idea either. Plain ol' dumb in my book.

The "A" won't be playing the B1's on the schedule, why treat it different. Sounds like a social experiment gone awry to me.
Sorry, fresh out, Don't Really Give Any.
BadgerBob82

Post by BadgerBob82 »

When looking at larger associations with an AA and A team, it's hard to say if any "good" could come from a game. But. from what I have seen, many teams top 5-6 kids are clearly better than the rest of their team. The bottom (25-30) would probably be clearly the bottom. But I would think numbers 7-24 could easily play one another and benefit. So would only be bad if number 1-6 get "stupid" against number 25-30. The rest would probably be fine and benefit from the game.

Kinda like some people wanted B1's to be able to play A's in the past. For certain match-ups, the games would have been very good. For others, not so good. I'd view the possible AA vs. A match-ups the same way. Some will be good, others not. Which is nothing new, some A teams dominate all A teams and others were really B1 teams playing at the A level for some reason.

Which is why coaches should schedule games with this in mind. For District league play, not sure the answer as every District has different dynamics. But maybe this year will show how unimportant District league play really is. Maroon - Gold type leagues matching talent will take over and District league play will be diminished? Districts don't need league games to provide seeding for play-offs to send teams to Regions.
MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles »

BadgerBob82 wrote:When looking at larger associations with an AA and A team, it's hard to say if any "good" could come from a game. But. from what I have seen, many teams top 5-6 kids are clearly better than the rest of their team. The bottom (25-30) would probably be clearly the bottom. But I would think numbers 7-24 could easily play one another and benefit. So would only be bad if number 1-6 get "stupid" against number 25-30. The rest would probably be fine and benefit from the game.

Kinda like some people wanted B1's to be able to play A's in the past. For certain match-ups, the games would have been very good. For others, not so good. I'd view the possible AA vs. A match-ups the same way. Some will be good, others not. Which is nothing new, some A teams dominate all A teams and others were really B1 teams playing at the A level for some reason.

Which is why coaches should schedule games with this in mind. For District league play, not sure the answer as every District has different dynamics. But maybe this year will show how unimportant District league play really is. Maroon - Gold type leagues matching talent will take over and District league play will be diminished? Districts don't need league games to provide seeding for play-offs to send teams to Regions.
Holding 1-12 back against weaker competition would go beyond "stupid".
BadgerBob82

Post by BadgerBob82 »

Who said anything about holding players back? 1-12? All I'm saying is the top 5-6 players could hurt the bottom 5-6 players if they decided to "goon it up". Just go out there and play.
BadgerBob82

Post by BadgerBob82 »

But I get your point. AA teams playing against A teams have the chance to get ugly. So I agree with you, AA teams should play AA teams and A teams play A teams. Once the seasons get going, there will be opportunities for the bottom AA teams and top A teams to schedule some games.

Glad to see you have finally figured out the AA-A thing is a good idea! ](*,)
MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles »

You're one strange fella..... :lol:
BadgerBob82

Post by BadgerBob82 »

Bo: You have finally come to realize that the need exists for more levels of play so that you don't have "ugly" games.

AA-A-B1-B2-C does this perfectly. And it allows for crossing over at the AA-A and B1-B2 levels so teams can find good match-ups for better development. I also agree several associations with your lack of brains have messed up this season. But they will figure it out and get it right next year.

So I am glad you have put this topic to rest.