Player Eligibility Questions (split for Bantam score thread)

Discussion of Minnesota Youth Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 »

I n a couple weeks varsity tryouts will be over. Edina could be missing some.
Bluewhitefan

Post by Bluewhitefan »

old goalie85 wrote:I n a couple weeks varsity tryouts will be over. Edina could be missing some.
Some? Who?
Sky was supposed to fall last year when they lost all the so-called superstars and proceded to win every tournament and the state title.
old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 »

Easy Blue- Bellows/Dornba/S.Walker They would still be better than most, just interested. NEVER said the sky was falling. You nutjob !!!
Survey

Post by Survey »

Bluewhitefan wrote:
old goalie85 wrote:I n a couple weeks varsity tryouts will be over. Edina could be missing some.
Some? Who?
Sky was supposed to fall last year when they lost all the so-called superstars and proceded to win every tournament and the state title.
I'd say if they lose Bellows, Wait or Zuhlsdorf they won't be winning many tournaments. I'd say Zuhlsdorf or Bellows has best chance. This year's bunch isn't as deep without these three big guns. If i remember correctly it was Zuhlsdorf that basically handed them the State Tournament Trophy a few years back at pee wees.
Nuts&Bolts

Post by Nuts&Bolts »

Need a rules interpretation from somebody in the know. If Bellows is a 9th grader and started at SSM, do the MSHSL rules kick-in on eligibility or is borrowing a new address in order?
buttend

Post by buttend »

Nuts&Bolts wrote:Need a rules interpretation from somebody in the know. If Bellows is a 9th grader and started at SSM, do the MSHSL rules kick-in on eligibility or is borrowing a new address in order?
my 2 cents,

He lives in Edina, goes to school in Edina, ( 8th grader I believe) he registered for Edina hockey, he tried out for the Edina Bantam team. He is eligible!
Snap Happy

Post by Snap Happy »

we were just told tonight at a D8 scheduling meeting that a kid with intent to tryout HS can not play association until he is cut from HS. Is that just a D8 rule??
old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 »

We have a u12 trying out she can not skate /assc ice from yesterday untill she gets cut. If she gets cut she comes back to U12 team. I would think it is the same w/the boys.
old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 »

Didn't B Bellows and C Giles work together at one time ? So I'm sure they have talked this thing out and know what they are doing. :wink:
Bleed Maroon and Gold

Post by Bleed Maroon and Gold »

Snap Happy wrote:
we were just told tonight at a D8 scheduling meeting that a kid with intent to tryout HS can not play association until he is cut from HS. Is that just a D8 rule??
No that is not just a D8 rule. its is a High school league rule that if you are tyring out for HS you can not have any contact with your youth hockey team until you or the coaches make the decision on which team you will be playing on.
Bluewhitefan

Post by Bluewhitefan »

old goalie85 wrote:Easy Blue- Bellows/Dornba/S.Walker They would still be better than most, just interested. NEVER said the sky was falling. You nutjob !!!
I'm a nutjob? OG is talking about kids that would have NO impact at Varsity. Bellows is slow, Dornbach is small and Walker is a first year Bantam who barely made the team.
Bluewhitefan

Post by Bluewhitefan »

buttend wrote:
Nuts&Bolts wrote:Need a rules interpretation from somebody in the know. If Bellows is a 9th grader and started at SSM, do the MSHSL rules kick-in on eligibility or is borrowing a new address in order?
my 2 cents,

He lives in Edina, goes to school in Edina, ( 8th grader I believe) he registered for Edina hockey, he tried out for the Edina Bantam team. He is eligible!
None of which has anything to do with MSHSL rules. Yes, he's eligible to play Bantams, but the High school league views it differently.

He's a 9th grader not an 8th grader.
Towelie

Post by Towelie »

Bluewhitefan wrote:
old goalie85 wrote:Easy Blue- Bellows/Dornba/S.Walker They would still be better than most, just interested. NEVER said the sky was falling. You nutjob !!!
I'm a nutjob? OG is talking about kids that would have NO impact at Varsity. Bellows is slow, Dornbach is small and Walker is a first year Bantam who barely made the team.
I'd bite your tounge...I'd say Bellows would do just just fine at Varsity. Budish was never a quick kid...how'd he do...did he have "NO" impact?
Did somebody say they needed a Towel ??
hockeyfan87

Off Topic

Post by hockeyfan87 »

Could we move this debate to another thread so we can actually see the Bantam A/AA score updates on this one?
hockey_is_a_choice

Post by hockey_is_a_choice »

Under the Minnesota State High School League Bylaws, specifically Bylaw 208, a player cannot skate with their association team while they are participating in their high school hockey program. Participating in the high school program includes skating in tryouts. Accordingly, the way I interpret this rule is that beginning on November 12, the start of the hockey school hockey season (and the first day of tryouts for most program), any player who is playing association hockey and trying out for their high school team cannot skate with the association team until their high school program (or the player) determines whether they will play high school hockey this year. Here is the link to the MSHL Bylaw:

http://www.mshsl.org/mshsl/Publications ... Bylaws.pdf

Interestingly, this same Bylaw also governs preseason activity by any coach affiliated with a high school hockey program. Specifically, if there is any head coach or assistant high school hockey coach who has been coaching or skating with association kids who are trying out for the high school team, the coach and his high school hockey program are in violation of MSHL rules and putting players are risk for sanctions.
crw

Re: Off Topic

Post by crw »

hockeyfan87 wrote:Could we move this debate to another thread so we can actually see the Bantam A/AA score updates on this one?

Agreed!!
karl(east)

Re: Off Topic

Post by karl(east) »

hockeyfan87 wrote:Could we move this debate to another thread so we can actually see the Bantam A/AA score updates on this one?
Good idea.
the_juiceman

Post by the_juiceman »

Snap Happy wrote:
No, it is a MSHSL rule
the_juiceman

Post by the_juiceman »

hockey_is_a_choice wrote:Under the Minnesota State High School League Bylaws, specifically Bylaw 208, a player cannot skate with their association team while they are participating in their high school hockey program. Participating in the high school program includes skating in tryouts. Accordingly, the way I interpret this rule is that beginning on November 12, the start of the hockey school hockey season (and the first day of tryouts for most program), any player who is playing association hockey and trying out for their high school team cannot skate with the association team until their high school program (or the player) determines whether they will play high school hockey this year. Here is the link to the MSHL Bylaw:

http://www.mshsl.org/mshsl/Publications ... Bylaws.pdf

Interestingly, this same Bylaw also governs preseason activity by any coach affiliated with a high school hockey program. Specifically, if there is any head coach or assistant high school hockey coach who has been coaching or skating with association kids who are trying out for the high school team, the coach and his high school hockey program are in violation of MSHL rules and putting players are risk for sanctions.
so, are you saying HS coaches can't run a youth camp in the city where they coach HS?
Napalm187

Post by Napalm187 »

There sure are a lot of Edina haters. Bellows (if he plays at Edina) will be a stud there. Sure he is not quick, but there are a lot of great NHL players that have gotten by w/o quickness (Andreychuk, Hull, Nash, Heatley,etc.) He reminds me a lot of Dany Heatley. Kid is a sniper and knows how to use his body. By the time he's a JR. he could put up 80-90 pts. He has dominated at all levels of youth hockey and there are still jackals like Blue/White discrediting him. A 8/9 grader. What the hell has Tonka ever done? How's all those studs from a couple of years ago working out in college??? Holl? Max Gardiner?? Hesketh? Prochno is the only one who is making an impact at the NCAA level.

Dornbach will be a impact player by his Jr./Sr. year. Kid has got great hockey IQ and is a huge playmaker who meshes well with KB.

SW is a great player too, who didn't just barely make the BAA team. Not as good as Jack, but better than Benny.

Take your biases outta the way ppl and make factual claims, not petty slights at young kids who are actually real talented.
Bluewhitefan

Post by Bluewhitefan »

Napalm187 wrote:There sure are a lot of Edina haters. Bellows (if he plays at Edina) will be a stud there. Sure he is not quick, but there are a lot of great NHL players that have gotten by w/o quickness (Andreychuk, Hull, Nash, Heatley,etc.) He reminds me a lot of Dany Heatley. Kid is a sniper and knows how to use his body. By the time he's a JR. he could put up 80-90 pts. He has dominated at all levels of youth hockey and there are still jackals like Blue/White discrediting him. A 8/9 grader. What the hell has Tonka ever done? How's all those studs from a couple of years ago working out in college??? Holl? Max Gardiner?? Hesketh? Prochno is the only one who is making an impact at the NCAA level.

Dornbach will be a impact player by his Jr./Sr. year. Kid has got great hockey IQ and is a huge playmaker who meshes well with KB.

SW is a great player too, who didn't just barely make the BAA team. Not as good as Jack, but better than Benny.

Take your biases outta the way ppl and make factual claims, not petty slights at young kids who are actually real talented.
So, you're saying that Dornbach will be a factor in two years. Fine, I never said he wasn't a good player, just not a factor now. Never said Walker wasn't a good player, but he's a FIRST YEAR BANTAM, not a factor for HS. As far as Bellows goes, we'll agree to disagree - I think you and others are overrating him as an 8th/9th grader. Both Jack Walker and Malmquist have speed making them strong contributors as 9th graders last year - no so of Bellows.
Survey

Post by Survey »

Bluewhitefan wrote:
Napalm187 wrote:There sure are a lot of Edina haters. Bellows (if he plays at Edina) will be a stud there. Sure he is not quick, but there are a lot of great NHL players that have gotten by w/o quickness (Andreychuk, Hull, Nash, Heatley,etc.) He reminds me a lot of Dany Heatley. Kid is a sniper and knows how to use his body. By the time he's a JR. he could put up 80-90 pts. He has dominated at all levels of youth hockey and there are still jackals like Blue/White discrediting him. A 8/9 grader. What the hell has Tonka ever done? How's all those studs from a couple of years ago working out in college??? Holl? Max Gardiner?? Hesketh? Prochno is the only one who is making an impact at the NCAA level.

So, you're saying that Dornbach will be a factor in two years. Fine, I never said he wasn't a good player, just not a factor now. Never said Walker wasn't a good player, but he's a FIRST YEAR BANTAM, not a factor for HS. As far as Bellows goes, we'll agree to disagree - I think you and others are overrating him as an 8th/9th grader. Both Jack Walker and Malmquist have speed making them strong contributors as 9th graders last year - no so of Bellows.
Yeah your right that is why Giles took them as 9th graders...because of their speed. Talk about a nut job is right. He took them because they have great hockey IQ's, have the ability to make plays. Yes they do have speed but it was more than that. Giles wouldn't be taking KB because of his speed...he would be taking him because of his size/IQ and the main factor....the kid is a goal scorer.

I'm sure there are a ton of really fast skaters out there...doesn't mean they are good.
Bluewhitefan

Post by Bluewhitefan »

Survey wrote:
Bluewhitefan wrote:

Yeah your right that is why Giles took them as 9th graders...because of their speed. Talk about a nut job is right. He took them because they have great hockey IQ's, have the ability to make plays. Yes they do have speed but it was more than that. Giles wouldn't be taking KB because of his speed...he would be taking him because of his size/IQ and the main factor....the kid is a goal scorer.

I'm sure there are a ton of really fast skaters out there...doesn't mean they are good.
Never said that - of course they're good players, but they can keep up - not sure Bellows will. And it's pretty obvious Giles wouldn't take him because of his speed - thanks for stating the obvious.
hockey_is_a_choice

Post by hockey_is_a_choice »

Juiceman,

No, I am not "saying HS coaches can't run a youth camp in the city where they coach HS." Under MSHL Bylaw 208.2-4, a high school head coach or assistant coach can coach or lead clinics during the summer. However, by its terms, Bylaw 208 provides that, during the school year, the high school coach(es) cannot participate in clinics or coach any non-high school team that a high school kid is on who will be participating in their high school program. (Under the MSHL's definition, participation includes tryouts.) The high school coach can host clinics for the younger kids--not high school kids--during the school year.

It appears the purpose of this rule is to prevent high school coaches from extending the high school season or attempting to gain an unfair advantage over other programs by coaching an association team that includes high school players who participate in his high school program. (As I stated earlier, participation includes going through the high school tryouts.) For example, under the plain terms of Bylaw 208, a high school head or assistant coach cannot coach a bantam team where there are players on the bantam team who are trying out for his high school program.
rocketscience

Post by rocketscience »

[quote="old goalie85"]Didn't B Bellows and C Giles work together at one time ? So I'm sure they have talked this thing out and know what they are doing. :wink:[/quote]

Yep probably talked it out the day the boy was shown the door at SSM :oops: