Player Eligibility Questions (split for Bantam score thread)

Discussion of Minnesota Youth Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

OnTheBench

Post by OnTheBench »

hockey_is_a_choice wrote:Under the Minnesota State High School League Bylaws, specifically Bylaw 208, a player cannot skate with their association team while they are participating in their high school hockey program. Participating in the high school program includes skating in tryouts. Accordingly, the way I interpret this rule is that beginning on November 12, the start of the hockey school hockey season (and the first day of tryouts for most program), any player who is playing association hockey and trying out for their high school team cannot skate with the association team until their high school program (or the player) determines whether they will play high school hockey this year. Here is the link to the MSHL Bylaw:

http://www.mshsl.org/mshsl/Publications ... Bylaws.pdf

Interestingly, this same Bylaw also governs preseason activity by any coach affiliated with a high school hockey program. Specifically, if there is any head coach or assistant high school hockey coach who has been coaching or skating with association kids who are trying out for the high school team, the coach and his high school hockey program are in violation of MSHL rules and putting players are risk for sanctions.
Choice,
I believe that your interpretation of Bylaw 208 may be incorrect. The rule prohibits a student who is a member of a high school team from trying out for, or otherwise participating with any non-school team during the high school season. It is my understanding that until the high-school tryouts are completed and the roster is formed the player is not a member of the high school team. At least that is how I read the bylaw. This was also what my daughter's high school coach told me a couple of years ago when she went through this exact situation. His opinion was that even if she made the high school team she wouldn't be a member of it until the first day of practice after tryouts were completed so she was free to compete in an association game during high school tryouts. In the end it didn't matter because she remained on her association team.
Mnhockeys

Post by Mnhockeys »

Bluewhitefan wrote:
Napalm187 wrote:There sure are a lot of Edina haters. Bellows (if he plays at Edina) will be a stud there. Sure he is not quick, but there are a lot of great NHL players that have gotten by w/o quickness (Andreychuk, Hull, Nash, Heatley,etc.) He reminds me a lot of Dany Heatley. Kid is a sniper and knows how to use his body. By the time he's a JR. he could put up 80-90 pts. He has dominated at all levels of youth hockey and there are still jackals like Blue/White discrediting him. A 8/9 grader. What the hell has Tonka ever done? How's all those studs from a couple of years ago working out in college??? Holl? Max Gardiner?? Hesketh? Prochno is the only one who is making an impact at the NCAA level.

Dornbach will be a impact player by his Jr./Sr. year. Kid has got great hockey IQ and is a huge playmaker who meshes well with KB.

SW is a great player too, who didn't just barely make the BAA team. Not as good as Jack, but better than Benny.

Take your biases outta the way ppl and make factual claims, not petty slights at young kids who are actually real talented.
So, you're saying that Dornbach will be a factor in two years. Fine, I never said he wasn't a good player, just not a factor now. Never said Walker wasn't a good player, but he's a FIRST YEAR BANTAM, not a factor for HS. As far as Bellows goes, we'll agree to disagree - I think you and others are overrating him as an 8th/9th grader. Both Jack Walker and Malmquist have speed making them strong contributors as 9th graders last year - no so of Bellows.
Can you start and contribute a new thread named Edina BA/varsity gossip column or something?
hockey_is_a_choice

Post by hockey_is_a_choice »

OntheBench,

Bylaw 208.001 provides:

"A student who is a member of a high school team may not participate as an individual competitor or as a member of a non-school team in the same sport during the high school season."

"Participation is defined as practice, training, scrimmaging, tryouts and competing."

The boys' high school hockey season starts November 12. Tryouts start that same day for most high school programs. In my mind, the only possible ambiguity in Bylaw 208 is the word "member", which is not separately defined in Bylaw 208. But, because the bylaw applies to tryouts, it is reasonable to conclude that once a player signs up for tryouts, he is a member of the team (at least for tryout purposes) until he is cut, quits, or is otherwise dismissed from the team. I suggest if you have any questions regarding the application of the rule, you call the MSHL or ask your school athletic director to research the applicability of the rule. Better safe than sorry . . .
JoltDelivered

Post by JoltDelivered »

hockey_is_a_choice wrote:OntheBench,

Bylaw 208.001 provides:

"A student who is a member of a high school team may not participate as an individual competitor or as a member of a non-school team in the same sport during the high school season."

"Participation is defined as practice, training, scrimmaging, tryouts and competing."

The boys' high school hockey season starts November 12. Tryouts start that same day for most high school programs. In my mind, the only possible ambiguity in Bylaw 208 is the word "member", which is not separately defined in Bylaw 208. But, because the bylaw applies to tryouts, it is reasonable to conclude that once a player signs up for tryouts, he is a member of the team (at least for tryout purposes) until he is cut, quits, or is otherwise dismissed from the team. I suggest if you have any questions regarding the application of the rule, you call the MSHL or ask your school athletic director to research the applicability of the rule. Better safe than sorry . . .
Guys don't get wrapped around the axle. We're talking about a 3 day window here. For the currently rostered bantam player who wants to tryout for his high school team, he simply can't skate with his bantam team during the high school tryout process. For most high school programs, that tryout period usually lasts around 3 days. Maybe some schools drag it on a little longer. But nevertheless, the bantam player "takes a leave" from his bantam team for a very small window of time while trying to make the high school team. If he does make it, he then leaves his bantam team all together and joins the high school team. Happens all the time. And whoever said this is a MSHL rule was correct.

What has always caught my attention is when that 2nd year bantam doesn't even register with his association for his last year of bantams thereby skipping bantam tryouts and goes straight to high school tryouts. Those players must have some assurances from the high school coaching staff that they are guarenteed a spot on the high school team. Otherwise, why pass on your last year of Bantam A? A big gamble if you don't have some assurances ahead of time.
"I find tinsel distracting"
Nuts&Bolts

Post by Nuts&Bolts »

[quote="rocketscience"][quote="old goalie85"]Didn't B Bellows and C Giles work together at one time ? So I'm sure they have talked this thing out and know what they are doing. :wink:[/quote]

Yep probably talked it out the day the boy was shown the door at SSM :oops:[/quote]

So if a 9th grader starts at a private school (like SSM) and leaves after 2 months to go back to public (say in Edina), is there an eligibility issue with the transfer? Is SSM outside of the MSHSL when it comes to transfers back in? There's another former SSM player that will play for HM this year. Whats the rule?
57special

Post by 57special »

Bellows is a Beast. Not sure if they need him at the HS, but don't see him being overmatched up there. He doesn't look slow to me. Dornbach does look a tad small at the moment. S Walker is in grade 7. He's going to be a very good player, but no way he's ready for Edina HS now.
Toomuchtoosoon

Post by Toomuchtoosoon »

Most likely the kids changed residences from SSM to home. If kid is returning to his home, and is not playing for two teams at once, there is nothing wrong with playing for the association Bantam team.