Edina Hockey Association Makes a Move

Discussion of Minnesota Youth Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

YouthHockeyHub

Edina Hockey Association Makes a Move

Post by YouthHockeyHub »

An interesting move by the EHA recently...would curious to get the thoughts of the board.

http://youthhockeyhub.com/edina-hockey- ... es-a-move/
Last edited by YouthHockeyHub on Tue May 08, 2012 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 »

This move will make Edina's AA Pee-wee/Bantam teams even better.
HockeyTalk18

Post by HockeyTalk18 »

Bold move?

I did a quick look up for the PW A's - around 105, Sqt's are near the same?

out of those 105 A teams, around 61 had 3 teams or less
around 79 had 4 teams or less

Edina had 9 PW teams, 12 Sqt teams

I would say IF 79 out of 105 having 4 teams or less and putting out an A team
that would be the norm.

so to go along with the Norm, last year Edina would have had 3 Sqt A teams
and over half the Associations at the PW level having 3 teams or less with an A team, that would also be normal putting them at 3 PW A teams also

Bold? to over half the state that is normal... Bold? come in with Edina goes with 4 or 5 Sqt A Teams, and 3 to 4 PW A teams, now that would be bold.

and let's be clear, I am not saying that Edina should not be able to win every game, they are a big time powerhouse and good for them, but C'mon..Bold move?
ripping1

Post by ripping1 »

Agreed bold not. They should of do e this years ago same thing with PWA and BTA. Opening it up to more kids to have the chance to play at the higher level.
blindref

Post by blindref »

Will there be a hornet a team and a Bsm a team?
MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles »

HockeyTalk18 wrote:Bold move?

that would be the norm.

and over half the Associations at the PW level having 3 teams or less with an A team, that would also be normal putting them at 3 PW A teams also

Bold? to over half the state that is normal... Bold? come in with Edina goes with 4 or 5 Sqt A Teams, and 3 to 4 PW A teams, now that would be bold.

and let's be clear, I am not saying that Edina should not be able to win every game, they are a big time powerhouse and good for them, but C'mon..Bold move?
=D>
DrGaf

Post by DrGaf »

MrBoDangles wrote:
HockeyTalk18 wrote:Bold move?

that would be the norm.

=D>
Thanks for doing the math ... i was curious about that.

With that said, =D>
YouthHockeyHub

Post by YouthHockeyHub »

I’d say I chose the term bold because it is a paradigm shift for their organization. Edina has historically had great participation at all levels of youth hockey. Part (not all) of the reason for this participation has to be attributed to the success they have had on the rink (wins and losses). Having two A teams will in all likelihood mean fewer wins, trophies and banners. Will the potentially fewer wins eventually mean less participation?

We shall see.

TS
skills_coach1

Post by skills_coach1 »

Will the potentially fewer wins eventually mean less participation?

We shall see.
Really? Is it that much of a Paradigm that the parents will go elsewhere if their record isn't like it was... ??? C'mon.... A large population area, overall, relatively well off..... Hockey is a natural fit....

Remember, this is still YOUTH HOCKEY!! :D
Irish

Post by Irish »

old goalie85 wrote:This move will make Edina's AA Pee-wee/Bantam teams even better.
Agreed! Great move by Edina. Wayzata offered two PWA teams this past winter. I applaud them for doing that. They're putting development in front of the glory. Like some one stated this is youth hockey. Would Edina consider offering one PW AA and PW A team next year?
57special

Post by 57special »

They are going with one AA and one A team at Peewee and Bantam.
luckyEPDad

Post by luckyEPDad »

HockeyTalk18 wrote:and let's be clear, I am not saying that Edina should not be able to win every game, they are a big time powerhouse and good for them, but C'mon..Bold move?
Conventional thinking is that it is good for development to play against skilled competition. Edina can do little to control the skill level of teams from other associations, so the only way to control competition is adjusting the makeup of their own teams. If nothing else, Edina Green will have some good games against Edina Black (or will it be White?)

Anyone who thinks this is a bad idea has lost their right to complain against STA playing in class A. They obviously think winning is the only thing.