Miracle Gold 03: The hope of the north???

Discussion of Minnesota Youth Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

This is nuts!

Post by This is nuts! »

InThePipes wrote:What I am hoping the MG program does is to draw in the elite kids that are currently driving south and give them an option in the north. Maybe if there were 3 really strong teams in the area you wouldn't have to go to Chicago or Winnipeg to find a game.
Outside of the Blades and Machine who are the other programs that are on the fringe of being elite programs? I'm not suggesting that they need to approach the Blades and/or Machine, just asking who the next tier of programs in MN are after those programs (i.e. MG, LS Stars, Euro, Vapor, etc.)?[/quote]

Euro has a good squad...
StopTheMadness

Post by StopTheMadness »

I'd say the Miracle Gold program is on the verge based on their 2003 team's performance at the Meltdown. At the invite level they beat the Blades in the semi's and Thunder Bay in the championship. Also won the open the next weekend with a bunch of 04's and 05's. I also hear that they play the entire roster - sounds like a good way to build the base of talent in their program and win as well...
DrGaf

Post by DrGaf »

This is nuts! wrote:
InThePipes wrote:What I am hoping the MG program does is to draw in the elite kids that are currently driving south and give them an option in the north. Maybe if there were 3 really strong teams in the area you wouldn't have to go to Chicago or Winnipeg to find a game.
Outside of the Blades and Machine who are the other programs that are on the fringe of being elite programs? I'm not suggesting that they need to approach the Blades and/or Machine, just asking who the next tier of programs in MN are after those programs (i.e. MG, LS Stars, Euro, Vapor, etc.)?
Lake Superior is always tough. Just may not have the shear numbers to always be 3 lines deep at every age group. Their '98s and '00s are very good teams.

Euro American is definately making a push. Maple Grove has tons of talent, not to mention the I94 connection to Plymouth, Wayzata, Rogers, Elk River and STMA areas. Could be a gold mine in the right hands. Synergy was an "old boys club." Not comparble to this new group in my opinion.

Edge out of BIG seemed to make a strong case last year at a few levels. I have no idea what they are doing this year.

Hell, a couple programs have come close before succumbing to coaching issues and pressure. Monopoly and Icemen both at the 2000 level.

Will these programs be the downfall of the superpowers? Meh, I doubt it. MLB needs the Yankees, NHL needs the Red Wings. The Olympics needs commies. I'm guessing there will always be a team at each level that will be better than most everyone on a given night.

District Tier 1 teams anyone? :P
helightsthelamp

Post by helightsthelamp »

hockeygoof1 wrote: MG is not an elite program. Sure, some day it might be. Not in 2012. Not until you're making that trip to Chicago, or even what is starting to become a watered down tourney, Stars &Stripes. Then I'll give you a nod. Until then . . .
Well since you are on this site spreading false information about the program when you clearly have no clue about the program
My guess is none of the MG players, parents, or coaches really care less what you think....
hipcheck62

Post by hipcheck62 »

hockeygoof1 wrote:Not until you're making that trip to Chicago, or even what is starting to become a watered down tourney, Stars &Stripes. Then I'll give you a nod. Until then . . .
Yes. Because what tournaments you go to determines how good of a program you are.

The way I see it, the spring/summer season serves two purposes and is for two different types of parent/kids. Those that do it for the fun of tournaments and playing games and those that are in it for the practices and getting better. There is nothing wrong with either.

It appears the vast majority of people here are in the latter category and you cannot judge how good a program is based on tournament results. You have to look at how much they are developing the kids. As soon as you can measure that, I will give you a nod.
HockeyDad41

Post by HockeyDad41 »

hipcheck62 wrote:
hockeygoof1 wrote:Not until you're making that trip to Chicago, or even what is starting to become a watered down tourney, Stars &Stripes. Then I'll give you a nod. Until then . . .
Yes. Because what tournaments you go to determines how good of a program you are.

The way I see it, the spring/summer season serves two purposes and is for two different types of parent/kids. Those that do it for the fun of tournaments and playing games and those that are in it for the practices and getting better. There is nothing wrong with either.

It appears the vast majority of people here are in the latter category and you cannot judge how good a program is based on tournament results. You have to look at how much they are developing the kids. As soon as you can measure that, I will give you a nod.
I would disagree with hipcheck62. I don't think the tournaments you go to determines how good a program you are. I think the degree to which you enter the correct tournaments for your player's skill and level (as well as a bunch of other criteria) determines how good a program you are.
Solving all of hockey's problems since Feb 2009.
hipcheck62

Post by hipcheck62 »

HockeyDad41 wrote:
hipcheck62 wrote:

I would disagree with hipcheck62. I don't think the tournaments you go to determines how good a program you are. I think the degree to which you enter the correct tournaments for your player's skill and level (as well as a bunch of other criteria) determines how good a program you are.
That first sentence was sarcasm. I should have added this: :roll:
Chandler23

Post by Chandler23 »

Bump to the top of the forum. Winners in Winnipeg over the weekend... Congrats MG3
hockeygoof1

Post by hockeygoof1 »

helightsthelamp wrote:
hockeygoof1 wrote: MG is not an elite program. Sure, some day it might be. Not in 2012. Not until you're making that trip to Chicago, or even what is starting to become a watered down tourney, Stars &Stripes. Then I'll give you a nod. Until then . . .
Well since you are on this site spreading false information about the program when you clearly have no clue about the program
My guess is none of the MG players, parents, or coaches really care less what you think....
And the false information I'm spreading is . . . Be specific, please. Now's your big chance to shut me up.
InThePipes

Post by InThePipes »

Chandler23 wrote:Bump to the top of the forum. Winners in Winnipeg over the weekend... Congrats MG3
What tournament was this?
barry_mcconnell

Post by barry_mcconnell »

OK everyone gets it. MG has some good teams. Now stop playing OPEN tournaments.
HockeyDad41

Post by HockeyDad41 »

Winning the Manitoba Lightning 2003 open doesn't seem like anything special to me.
MNM JMH

Post by MNM JMH »

This weekend will show how good the 04 and 03 MG team is. Lots of good players playing with all four teams.
HockeyDad41

Post by HockeyDad41 »

MNM JMH wrote:This weekend will show how good the 04 and 03 MG team is. Lots of good players playing with all four teams.
What tournament are they playing in this weekend?
MNM JMH

Post by MNM JMH »

HockeyDad41 wrote:
MNM JMH wrote:This weekend will show how good the 04 and 03 MG team is. Lots of good players playing with all four teams.
What tournament are they playing in this weekend?
Independent hockey tourny. Looks like MG has 99 01 and 04 teams in it all playing invite class. Will be a diffrent class of kids they will be playing against from the open side.
This is nuts!

Post by This is nuts! »

HockeyDad41 wrote:Winning the Manitoba Lightning 2003 open doesn't seem like anything special to me.
They only played played open because they invite was canceled because of lack of teams and got placed in the open. Should have moved to the 02 open level
MNM JMH

Post by MNM JMH »

This is nuts! wrote:
HockeyDad41 wrote:Winning the Manitoba Lightning 2003 open doesn't seem like anything special to me.
They only played played open because they invite was canceled because of lack of teams and got placed in the open. Should have moved to the 02 open level
What tourn was it that they played in that the invite was canceled?
Chandler23

Post by Chandler23 »

This is nuts! wrote:
It looks like all the other elite 03 teams moved to the 02 open level. (Except Miracle Gold)
feathermen

Post by feathermen »

They would have had a hard time competing with the 03 Xtreme who won the 02 open.
intothezone

Post by intothezone »

"They would have had a hard time competing with the 03 Xtreme who won the 02 open."

Maybe. I would rather lose than play teams when you win 10+ to 0. MG 03 has pretty solid defense, so it would have been a much better game to watch. [/quote]
Chandler23

Post by Chandler23 »

Would have been really awkward for the 02 Black team to play the 03 Gold team. Although it would be fun to see who won...
HockeyDad41

Post by HockeyDad41 »

I noticed the Blades are also in the Independent Cup as well.
msphockey

Post by msphockey »

HockeyDad41 wrote:I noticed the Blades are also in the Independent Cup as well.
03 Blades are playing Invite correct? No 03 Miracle Gold?
DrGaf

Post by DrGaf »

'02 Blades in the '01 Invite Level?

Don't know, I'm asking.
bandersnatch

Post by bandersnatch »

I believe so... 01s out of town