Brick Tryout (Factual Data)

Discussion of Minnesota Youth Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Pylon

Post by Pylon »

Star is what I'm calling him, because he's the only 10-year-old I know of that seems to be known throughout all of North America
Ya i have heard he is pretty good!
I think Warriors won every tournament they were in last season
If thats the case then the Machine and Blades are already right there with the best. If the Warriors won every tournament (somehow i doubt they played in soft tournaments) then the Minnesota teams are close. I think the Machine had a few close games with them like you said. The Blades only played them once and got thumped but have since revamped their roster.
If what was previously posted is correct, then the Jr Jet team should be similar to the Warrior team as 13 kids made the Jet team from the Warriors.
I think there is high end teams at both the Chitown and Stars and Stripes. it should be a great measuring tool for the Blades going forward.
mackjogger

Post by mackjogger »

[quote="parent"]Appreciate the open and honest tone of Biscuits post, but one other clarification -- the New Jersey kid referenced in the first post was from New York, Long Island to be exact. The kid plays for the Long Island Gulls. He was there for the tryout, not visiting relatives. He had tried out for the Connecticut Brick team and didn't make it, so flew out here for another shot.

PLEASE TELL ME YOU ARE JOKING.
2 Flights, hotel, car rental for a 10 year old tryout. And was already cut from another team.
THIS HAS WOLFPACK CANIDATE WRITTEN ALL OVER IT.
observer

Post by observer »

Interesting they thought Minnesota was a good place to make a team.
O-townClown

Post by O-townClown »

mackjogger wrote:[quote="parent"]Appreciate the open and honest tone of Biscuits post, but one other clarification -- the New Jersey kid referenced in the first post was from New York, Long Island to be exact. The kid plays for the Long Island Gulls. He was there for the tryout, not visiting relatives. He had tried out for the Connecticut Brick team and didn't make it, so flew out here for another shot.

2 Flights, hotel, car rental for a 10 year old tryout. And was already cut from another team.
Mack, this is hardly unusual. You may not have seen my post about the two families we know from down here. Both went to Boston for Jr. Bruins tryouts. Asked back to the next round and went a month later. One got cut - that's two weekends in Boston for a kid from Florida and at least one of his parents - and the other made the team.

Now for making the team they have some tournaments to prepare, like the Minuteman Flames event last weekend, and practices that I think he's supposed to attend.

Two kids from Colorado are playing in the Brick, one for Winnipeg (maybe?) and one for Chicago. I'm hearing they are attending some weekend practices.

Some people think it is insane and others think it is all in fun. I feel for those that actually think this is all important.
Be kind. Rewind.
old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 »

For some $$ is no object. For me it seems crazy, but to some it's like going out to eat. If that is the case why not. A guy just gets used to hockey being that exspensive.
O-townClown

Post by O-townClown »

observer wrote:Interesting they thought Minnesota was a good place to make a team.
Insightful and perceptive are you.
Be kind. Rewind.
mackjogger

Post by mackjogger »

O-townClown wrote:
observer wrote:Interesting they thought Minnesota was a good place to make a team.
Sure, get cut from a CT hockey team...my star will def make a MN team :lol:
mackjogger

Post by mackjogger »

O-townClown wrote:
mackjogger wrote:[quote="parent"]Appreciate the open and honest tone of Biscuits post, but one other clarification -- the New Jersey kid referenced in the first post was from New York, Long Island to be exact. The kid plays for the Long Island Gulls. He was there for the tryout, not visiting relatives. He had tried out for the Connecticut Brick team and didn't make it, so flew out here for another shot.

Mack, this is hardly unusual. You may not have seen my post about the two families we know from down here. Both went to Boston for Jr. Bruins tryouts. Asked back to the next round and went a month later. One got cut - that's two weekends in Boston for a kid from Florida and at least one of his parents - and the other made the team.

Now for making the team they have some tournaments to prepare, like the Minuteman Flames event last weekend, and practices that I think he's supposed to attend.

Two kids from Colorado are playing in the Brick, one for Winnipeg (maybe?) and one for Chicago. I'm hearing they are attending some weekend practices.

Some people think it is insane and others think it is all in fun. I feel for those that actually think this is all important.
Fair point..guess if money not an issue and little johnny isn't hiding his hockey bag in the pole barn the night befor each flight...why not!
old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 »

He does not carry his own hockey bag!!! The limo driver does.
Biscuitinthebasket

Post by Biscuitinthebasket »

In reading past posts,some have suggested there is no interest from Machine camp to play on Brick squad. Unfortunately, I know the answer because I was just informed that my son did not make it. I asked why and was told that two, Machine kids have committed. Since I don't know who they are, it is hard for me to say if my son got the shaft. Not being whiney here but I do think all kids should have to attend the try outs to make it but I know the tomfoolery that exists between Bernie and Blades. I was told if a kid gets hurt, I would get a call to gauge interest. Regardless, I hope they do well up there and I just save $3,000 bucks.
hipcheck62

Post by hipcheck62 »

Sorry to hear that Biscuit (or glad to hear you saved money?). Is your son on the "regular" Blades team and was bumped off for the Machine players? If not, who does your son play for in the summer?
old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 »

Sorry for your boy. w/the extra 3 gs you guys can do alot of fishing and golfing.
old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 »

Two boys in orange??????? Bernies going to be Grumpy at practice. Look out 10 yr olds!!!!!!
mackjogger

Post by mackjogger »

Biscuitinthebasket wrote:In reading past posts,some have suggested there is no interest from Machine camp to play on Brick squad. Unfortunately, I know the answer because I was just informed that my son did not make it. I asked why and was told that two, Machine kids have committed. Since I don't know who they are, it is hard for me to say if my son got the shaft. Not being whiney here but I do think all kids should have to attend the try outs to make it but I know the tomfoolery that exists between Bernie and Blades. I was told if a kid gets hurt, I would get a call to gauge interest. Regardless, I hope they do well up there and I just save $3,000 bucks.
what if it was the CT team castoff???
Biscuitinthebasket

Post by Biscuitinthebasket »

No he is not on current blades roster. We knew going in it would be tough but we were cautiously optimistic. They were straight up with me and I get it. Son will be bummed because what I've seen and read it is a great experience for young hockey players. But, as several have said, "it is just 10 year old hockey." More golf and fishing I guess but I don't play golf nor do I fish. I digress. Hope they do well for MN hockey.
O-townClown

Post by O-townClown »

Biscuitinthebasket wrote: More golf and fishing I guess but I don't play golf nor do I fish.
More idle time to fall in with the wrong crowd and make regrettable decisions that will adversely impact the remainder of his life?

Feel better now?

Have a great time. If you want to take a Florida trip and play some hockey, hit me up as I've got a team in a Mem Day tournament next month. It's not the Brick, but the Gulf beaches have some advantages over the Edmonton Mall.
Be kind. Rewind.
HockeyDad41

Post by HockeyDad41 »

They probably just told you they brought on 2 orange kids to let you down easier.
Solving all of hockey's problems since Feb 2009.
old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 »

And they would make up that lie WHY?????? Come on man...
HockeyDad41

Post by HockeyDad41 »

Right, cause no one ever lies when it comes to this stuff.......
Solving all of hockey's problems since Feb 2009.
old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 »

:lol: :lol:
mackjogger

Post by mackjogger »

old goalie85 wrote::lol: :lol:
Hate to be redundant but....always have the wolfpack as a great alternative to any regional brick team.
Pylon

Post by Pylon »

I will believe the Machine kids when I see it. If my kid gets cut for another teams cast off then so be it. I guess my kid just isn't good enough yet. However, I would think that outsiders would only join the Brick team if they were top 3 or 4. jmo