Brick Tryout (Factual Data)

Discussion of Minnesota Youth Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Biscuitinthebasket

Brick Tryout (Factual Data)

Post by Biscuitinthebasket »

Was just reading the commentary on the post subject entitled, "Brick Tryouts." I attended both tryouts and have been told my son is bubble. Decisions will be made in late April. Here are a few other comments:

I must say, Old goalie85 and youngatheart are sure good at posting a bunch of inaccurate drivvle to stir the pot. Allow me to share some facts for all those interested, Machine Heads. . . .here we go. . . no kids from Florida, Boston or NYC at tryout. There WAS a player there from NJ but was in town visiting a family member and has a connection to a coach. He skated for free and for fun. I actually spoke to the dad.

There were two kids there from Wisconsin but they are on the team and live in Hudson. Who cares. Would rather drive from Hudson than Red Wing. Unsure about the Warroad player.

Many of the posters on this board don't know anything about The Brick because they haven't actually attended the tournament. Their opinion is based on what their Machine buddies have told them (most of whom have also not attended the tournament either) or Bernie's spin. The facts are the Brick has a 3 player import rule to ensure each team brings the best line up possible. They want each team to be represented by the region (not state) of the team. I know this because I inquired with the Brick before attending the tryout. These are the rules to ensure the best kids from each region attend the tournament. If the tournament has a 3 import rule, why wouldn't you use it to field the best team.

Hope to be in Edmonton in July!!! Peace out!
fivehole99

Post by fivehole99 »

Brick import rule, as you stated, is correct. All the other teams who attend tourney use import rule to make team better so why wouldn't Blades? Dumb not to. They want the best kids. If blades/machine could come together on this, Minnesota could truly send top 15 kids. Too bad for all. Ego is a a terrible thing.
icehornet

Post by icehornet »

Appreciate information from someone that was actually there. I don't blame the Blades for leveraging the 3 player import rule, if it's available why not take advantage of it. I just wish the top 15 or so kids from MN would be going to represent the state/region each year. Especially considering their results in recent years.

I've read ideas along the lines of a compromise that could be met to make this happen. Ex. change the name so it isn't "Blades" and add Bernie or a couple Made coaches to the team. I get they are competing entities but an agreement has to be a viable option somewhere in the middle ground. I would be interested to hear from some of our Canadian readers whether the teams they bring pull competing teams in a region together to get the best of the best for this one tournament or if the regular team stays intact for the most part.
O-townClown

Post by O-townClown »

icehornet wrote:I've read ideas along the lines of a compromise that could be met to make this happen. Ex. change the name so it isn't "Blades" and add Bernie or a couple Made coaches to the team. I get they are competing entities but an agreement has to be a viable option somewhere in the middle ground.
It is just this type of bi-partisan cooperation that is required to solve our nation's most pressing matters.

I'm glad to see we're starting with a hockey tournament for 10-year-olds.

Biscuit, thanks for the comments. Best of luck to your son. It is supposed to be a great trip!
Be kind. Rewind.
hipcheck62

Post by hipcheck62 »

First post here. Have been following for a while. Provides quality entertainment reading all of these posts.

Clarification on the two WI kids. They are not from Hudson. One is from Onalaska and the other from Chippewa Falls. They played with my son on the Flyers team last year. The Onalaska kid is a great player and the Blades starting recruiting him after the Meltdown last year. His dad held out as long as he could but they supposedly waived his fees and are paying some of the Brick travel costs to get him to go.

Losing those two really hurts our team. :(
icehornet

Post by icehornet »

O-townClown wrote: It is just this type of bi-partisan cooperation that is required to solve our nation's most pressing matters.
Isn't that the truth! Sadly there's probably a higher probability the Made and Blades make amends before those in DC.

Good info hipcheck. Question for those in the know....are the WI kids considered imports and taking up two of those spots?

Good luck to your son biscuit and thanks again for the post.
youngatheart

Post by youngatheart »

Biscuit...Great first Post....Factual??? Hudson??? Really??? Betting your kid did not even try out.

My comments were based on the information from other posters on where players were from at the tryout. Sorry it is a blog...

I knew the Wisconsin kids were not from HUDSON area. Onalaska along way from St. Lous Park... Must be 150 miles!.....Chippewa Falls not close either... Tough to make Blades practice on a Tuesday night. Not a Machine guy, but I know Bernie makes his boys get to team practices....

The Wisconsin kids and a out of state goalie will be on Blades team in Chicago....I do think it is dumb rule using imports for the Brick...However, that is the norm and the Blades will do it.

I do think it is absolutely wrong to do it for every major tournament.

Once again....We are Minnesota...The Blades a "premier" program with "premier" coaching... Why are they grabbing players from all over to represent their program for a weekend???

How can you honestly justify that! Coaches and parents need to get a clue.
parent

Post by parent »

Appreciate the open and honest tone of Biscuits post, but one other clarification -- the New Jersey kid referenced in the first post was from New York, Long Island to be exact. The kid plays for the Long Island Gulls. He was there for the tryout, not visiting relatives. He had tried out for the Connecticut Brick team and didn't make it, so flew out here for another shot.

Agree with Biscuit that a bunch of posters on this forum don't know what they are talking about, like being able to take random potshots at people they have probably never met or talked to, and support an organization or team that their kids probably don't even play for. Good luck to Biscuits kid and to all of the kids that get chosen to play in Edmonton.

Last weekend I learned that the Machine and Blades play in Chicago this Friday morning. Maybe some posters should head on down there and report back on the results.
msphockey

Post by msphockey »

youngatheart wrote:Biscuit...Great first Post....Factual??? Hudson??? Really??? Betting your kid did not even try out.

My comments were based on the information from other posters on where players were from at the tryout. Sorry it is a blog...

I knew the Wisconsin kids were not from HUDSON area. Onalaska along way from St. Lous Park... Must be 150 miles!.....Chippewa Falls not close either... Tough to make Blades practice on a Tuesday night. Not a Machine guy, but I know Bernie makes his boys get to team practices....

The Wisconsin kids and a out of state goalie will be on Blades team in Chicago....I do think it is dumb rule using imports for the Brick...However, that is the norm and the Blades will do it.

I do think it is absolutely wrong to do it for every major tournament.

Once again....We are Minnesota...The Blades a "premier" program with "premier" coaching... Why are they grabbing players from all over to represent their program for a weekend???

How can you honestly justify that! Coaches and parents need to get a clue.
Funny, my kid practiced at SLP on Monday. The 02 Blades were on the other rink. I talked to a dad of a Blades kid that I know from our district and asked who the various kids were. He went through the roster and pointed out the two Wisconsin kids -- one had a black practice jersey on and the other had a blue jersey. On the goalie front, the dad commented that a regular goalie can't make the trip to Chicago. I don't know if they approached other Minnesota goalies or not, but it was clear that the Blades didn't drive the goalie decision.

By the way, didn't Bernie allow two of his players on last years 02 Orange team to only show up for tournaments? Check with your Machine sources on that prior to responding to make sure you get the answer correct. MM gets flexible on attending practices when it serves their purpose.
hipcheck62

Post by hipcheck62 »

Here is the 02 Shuffle Schedule:

Friday, April 20
Start End Rink Age Level Home Away
10:00am 11:15am CID Amer 2002 Elite A2. Pacific Selects B2. Bauer Selects
10:10am 11:25am CID Int 2002 Elite A1. MN Machine B1. MN Blades
11:25am 12:40pm CID Amer 2002 Elite A3. San Jose B3. Falcons
3:40pm 4:55pm CID Amer 2002 Elite B1. MN Blades A2. Pacific Selects
5:05pm 6:20pm CID Amer 2002 Elite B3. Falcons A1. MN Machine
5:15pm 6:30pm CID Int 2002 Elite B2. Bauer Selects A3. San Jose

Saturday, April 21
10:00am 11:15am CID Amer 2002 Elite A2. Pacific Selects B3. Falcons
10:10am 11:25am CID Int 2002 Elite A3. San Jose B1. MN Blades
11:25am 12:40pm CID Amer 2002 Elite A1. MN Machine B2. Bauer Selects
3:50pm 5:05pm CID Int 2002 Elite 5th place 6th place consol
5:05pm 6:20pm CID Amer 2002 Elite 1st place 4th place semi
5:15pm 6:30pm CID Int 2002 Elite 2nd place 3rd place semi

Sunday, April 22
9:45am 11:00am CID Amer 2002 Elite 1 vs 4 win 2 vs 3 win final
9:55am 11:10am CID Int 2002 Elite 1 vs 4 loser 2 vs 3 loser 3rd/4th pl

To be honest, there is probably not a premier team in there. The Bauer Selects are not great at this level and though I have no idea about the west coast teams, they typically are not the best teams. I would imagine it will be a competitive tournament with Blades, Machine, and Bauer winning it.

The real test will come next week at the Stars and Stripes. Much stronger field and if the Blades don't do well....
2K2

Post by 2K2 »

hipcheck62 wrote:Here is the 02 Shuffle Schedule:

Friday, April 20
10:00am 11:15am CID Amer 2002 Elite A2. Pacific Selects B2. Bauer Selects
10:10am 11:25am CID Int 2002 Elite A1. MN Machine B1. MN Blades
11:25am 12:40pm CID Amer 2002 Elite A3. San Jose B3. Falcons
3:40pm 4:55pm CID Amer 2002 Elite B1. MN Blades A2. Pacific Selects
5:05pm 6:20pm CID Amer 2002 Elite B3. Falcons A1. MN Machine
5:15pm 6:30pm CID Int 2002 Elite B2. Bauer Selects A3. San Jose

Saturday, April 21
10:00am 11:15am CID Amer 2002 Elite A2. Pacific Selects B3. Falcons
10:10am 11:25am CID Int 2002 Elite A3. San Jose B1. MN Blades
11:25am 12:40pm CID Amer 2002 Elite A1. MN Machine B2. Bauer Selects
3:50pm 5:05pm CID Int 2002 Elite 5th place 6th place consol
5:05pm 6:20pm CID Amer 2002 Elite 1st place 4th place semi
5:15pm 6:30pm CID Int 2002 Elite 2nd place 3rd place semi

Sunday, April 22
9:45am 11:00am CID Amer 2002 Elite 1 vs 4 win 2 vs 3 win final
9:55am 11:10am CID Int 2002 Elite 1 vs 4 loser 2 vs 3 loser 3rd/4th pl

To be honest, there is probably not a premier team in there. The Bauer Selects are not great at this level and though I have no idea about the west coast teams, they typically are not the best teams. I would imagine it will be a competitive tournament with Blades, Machine, and Bauer winning it.

The real test will come next week at the Stars and Stripes. Much stronger field and if the Blades don't do well....
Thanks for posting the schedule Hipcheck.
Bauer is a very good team even at this age group. The Machine and Blades will be contenders as well. The Pacific Selects team won the second division of the ChiTown shuffle quite handily and should be in the mix. I can't speak to San Jose or the Falcons (where are they from). It is always hard to predict as teams do change from year to year but based on last year those should be your top four teams!
old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 »

Biscuit- Nice post even though other posters are making you look like YOU are the one who has no clue. My info comes directly from a parent who's kid {goalie] is waiting to see if he made it. [like you] and a parent who's kid is going to the Chi on the bus this weekend. I think it is you Biscuit that needs clarification.
youngatheart

Post by youngatheart »

I know that the Bauer Selects beat 2k2 Warriors twice last season. Warriors are real good team (Previously reported that 13 of their players made the Jets Brick team!). I think Warriors won every tournament they were in last season. Took a good team to beat them.

Machine beat Bauer Selects in Chicago. Machine lost to Warriors multilpe times last season. Couple close games.

Blades should be strong with imports.

I guess I'm not sure what Hipcheck's definition of "Premier" is but these are pretty darn good teams. All capable of beating the others.
old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 »

Kid from Warroad playing for the Jr. Jets.
Pylon

Post by Pylon »

I agree Youngatheart, decent talent pool at the Chitown shuffle. Bauer, Blades and Machine are considered high end teams in the 02 division.

Oldgoalie, you seem to have your finger on the pulse of everything hockey! I admire you for that! Question, do we know that Warroad could make the Blades for sure?
Napalm187

Post by Napalm187 »

The Warroad kid would be the best player on the Blades...
Pylon

Post by Pylon »

Oh!
old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 »

He will be at the Stars & stripes. Mom is Marvin"s grandaughter, Dad's from Winnipeg/played @ ND. Big/strong kid. I think, he will be a top player in the Brick.[
hipcheck62

Post by hipcheck62 »

I guess what I meant by a premier team is brick quality where the Blades will find out what the competition will be like in Edmonton. Stars and Stripes will be a better indicator for them. Bauer Select are top end as far as typical AAA teams go but they lost a couple of players from last year and don't think they will be in the class of, say, the Jr Jets.

Guess we will find out next weekend.
Pylon

Post by Pylon »

old goalie85 wrote:He will be at the Stars & stripes. Mom is Marvin"s grandaughter, Dad's from Winnipeg/played @ ND. Big/strong kid. I think, he will be a top player in the Brick.[
Oldgoalie, can you give me your BIO lol. How the heck do you know the ins and outs of all these kids AND parents lol
Are you hiring? :D
Biscuitinthebasket

Post by Biscuitinthebasket »

old goalie85,

Wisonsin is Wisconsin whether it be Hudson or Onalaska. The kids are from Wisconsin. Who cares. My other point was there weren't kids from FL, BOS, NYC as reported.

More importantly, two Machine kids were offered a spot without having to tryout. They have until May 1st to decide. Blades' said stay away from tryouts to stay under radar. If they make Brick team, and it sounds like they will, they will start skating with the Blades in June and not go back to Orange Kool Aid post Brick. I can't wait to read how this isn't true because Bernie is the best blah, blah, blah and no one would ever leave the cult. Who are the two 02's who are flying the coop? I wish I knew but I like the stealth approach. My guess is '02 Orange will be getting a little email from Bernard tonight.
old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 »

Biscuit-When I say FL I'm talking about FOREST LAKE!!!!!! 2nd ta me Long Island IS New York City not new Jersey [call me crazy]. 3rd if you think I'm some kind of Mcmoney[orange kool-aid] lover than you should look at some of my other posts. I know Wis. is Wis. From Ashland to Racine thank you for the geography lesson. NEXT PLEASE!!!!!!!!!
O-townClown

Post by O-townClown »

Biscuitinthebasket wrote:old goalie85,

Wisonsin is Wisconsin whether it be Hudson or Onalaska. The kids are from Wisconsin. Who cares. My other point was there weren't kids from FL, BOS, NYC as reported.
EDIT, SORRY BISKY. I WAS DIRECTING THIS MORE TOWARD YOUNG WHO WAS DISCUSSING A MINNESOTA-ONLY TYPE TEAM. YOU ACTUALLY SAID SAME THING ABOUT IMPORTS.

Bisky, you've only posted a few times here. It seems you have this vision in your mind for what "The Brick" (23rd Annual Invitational Super Novice Hockey Tournament) is.

The organizers would like to get the best of the best there. To do so, they have people field teams from some - not all - areas. In order to "catch" some players that otherwise may not be there, those coming are allowed "imports".

Colorado does not send a team, but there are many very good players in the state. The mechanism exists for them to go play with another team that will have them. Maybe it isn't how you'd do it, but I don't see a problem like you seem to. (Or maybe your problem is if they play for Minnesota and you don't care if they play for Manitoba or New York.)

The problem is like a poker game with wild cards. If you don't have them, somebody else does. Trip 5s in a game with no wild cards? Great hand. Trip 5s when there are wild cards? Second place at best because someone will have higher trips, a boat, the straight, the flush, or even better.

When the 2000 born players went, the leading scorer in the whole tournament was from Florida (played for Toronto) and the best player from the Minnesota team was from several hours away in Luverne (five/six times as far as a drive as from St. Louis Park to Hudson).

Boston took a player we know from Miami Beach. Star Thor from New Hampshire is "in area" or whatever you want to call it. Why? Because he lives pretty darn close to Boston. Kids from Hudson can make it to a Wild came in less time than the kids from Eden Prairie, Edina, and Wayzata.

Good luck to whatever kids go. I hope they have a blast and their parents do too.
Be kind. Rewind.
edgeless2

Post by edgeless2 »

Star Thor?? Great hockey name...gotta be good.
O-townClown

Post by O-townClown »

edgeless2 wrote:Star Thor?? Great hockey name...gotta be good.
Star is what I'm calling him, because he's the only 10-year-old I know of that seems to be known throughout all of North America.

Thor is his first name.

This board and its members have a policy of not using actual full names for youth hockey, but ask around about "the real good kid from Boston" and you'll get his last name in no time. He played in The 22nd Brick Super Humongous Elite Hockey Extravaganzapalooza.

Some friends faced him last weekend and he's still top of the heap when he's playing at age level. How long it lasts? No idea.
Be kind. Rewind.