Who pays your a bantam coach?

Discussion of Minnesota Youth Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Liphshaye

Who pays your a bantam coach?

Post by Liphshaye »

Wondering if your association pays your non-parent a bantam coach and how much? And was it worth it?

Chuck Norris Fan
I have been watching this level for years and the thing that I think is starting to happen is we are loosing the volunteer coach. The time and expenses of coaching are growing and the days of non parent coaches just giving their time are coming to and end.

I firmly believe that in order for youth programs to compete for qualified coaches they are going to have to pay, just as the HS does, actually more. I believe a HS coach makes some where in the neighborhood of 5k a year, and that is working from the middle of Nov to (in most cases) the middle of February. Youth coaches work from October 1 to March, they coach many more games, have Sunday practices and practice at 9 at night. I would say a hefty compensation is due them.

Now some organizations will continue to look for volunteers and they will get them. But as my dad always told me "you get what you pay for". The days of great volunteer coaches (See former EP and Centennial guys) are coming to an end.

Good luck to all those associations out there looking. I hope that Centennial finds their guy, it would be a shame to see such a impressive organization fall to the wayside because of some poor inexperienced coaching, or because they wanted to save some $.[/i]
Ugottobekiddingme

Post by Ugottobekiddingme »

This post is loaded with targets ready for the open range. First, go back to your father and ask if a team assessment is something he pay's on daily basis to keep his job and if it adds security to the family living situation. Second, compensation and volunteer involvement do not work together unless you want to be a superstar within Acorn or inspriring for that 10'yer promised job. Most of us coach's are here to develop sports within our communities...what are you exactly looking for here?
old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 »

Forest Lake pays 3000.00
loveitorleaveit

Post by loveitorleaveit »

old goalie85 wrote:Forest Lake pays 3000.00
Blaine - $6000
Coon Rapids $3500
Elk River $9500
Rogers $4500

So I've heard :shock:
CRBantamAcoach

Post by CRBantamAcoach »

loveitorleaveit wrote:
Blaine - $6000
Coon Rapids $3500
Elk River $9500
Rogers $4500

So I've heard :shock:
I wish :cry:

Where do I sign up for that?
"Win at all costs only works for people with money"
bringbackchecking

Post by bringbackchecking »

I know my association gets the money from pull tabs and selling candy, but I've heard some associations make it a fee paid out over the months of the season.
old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 »

In FL parents pay 1/2, FL hockey pays 1/2.
Ugottobekiddingme

OG...you are a bright guy and I am just a simpleton on this subject. Are you saying that your A bantam coach is being subsidized by all the Forest Lake association parents for the 1/2 share burden? Do they realize this is part of their registration cost?
Ugottobekiddingme

OG...never mind...I figured it out. 1/2 of "parents" and 1/2 of FL hockey equals 100% of total association cost. It's like saying the government will pay for it, which is all of us.
Scout716

Post by Scout716 »

I think now associations need to Analysis are they thinking they get better results paying these coaches. Most the times I have seen people paying for coaches who have never coached at their particular level. Young guys who played the game but have not had the opportunity to "teach" the game. Maybe the pay needs to be based on getting coaches to stick around???? start pay out low and each year bump it up. in coaching youth athletics "experience" working with a particular age group of kids is most beneficial.
old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 »

Team parents is what I meant. It was set up to atract non-parent coaches. $4.00 a gallon !!!!
hockey1504

Post by hockey1504 »

I am a young coach, very young at that only 23 and I don't get paid I love it and volunteer my time because I want to make these kids better on and off the ice. But I won't lie getting paid to coach for the amount of time youth coaches, coach wouldn't be bad in my mind. I wouldn't ask for a lot at all to be honest. I also don't need any money either I just have a simple passion for the game. Just my thoughts I don't know.
silentbutdeadly3139

Post by silentbutdeadly3139 »

hockey1504 wrote:I am a young coach, very young at that only 23 and I don't get paid I love it and volunteer my time because I want to make these kids better on and off the ice. But I won't lie getting paid to coach for the amount of time youth coaches, coach wouldn't be bad in my mind. I wouldn't ask for a lot at all to be honest. I also don't need any money either I just have a simple passion for the game. Just my thoughts I don't know.
For that, thank you and I hope your association thanks you. I'm sure you already realize that there are other rewards such as seeing players get better, having a player say thanks and still saying hi several years later. Hopefully that all out weighs any baggage the parents may bring :)
Bleed Maroon and Gold

Post by Bleed Maroon and Gold »

I have been coaching for 15 years now. I started my freshman year in college and have been coaching ever since. I have coached in Minnesota for 12 of those 15 years and have never been paid. I have gotten reimbursement for mileage in some associations. I also coached out in NJ for 3 years and was not paid. I coach for the love of the game and have gotten rewarded many times by watching the players develop and seeing how they have improved since I have coached them. I also love watching the passion kids have for hockey grow or simply bring that passion back to them if they have lost it. Sure it would be nice to be paid but that is not the reason I coach.

I guess the question that I can ask on this is. Are you really getting a better coach because you pay them? Or are you just getting more people to apply for the coaching postion because they won't coach unless you pay them?
mp#99

Post by mp#99 »

I coach but not bantams and I do get payed but if you look at the time I spend and how far I drive just to practices (28 miles one way).
My pay dosent even come close to how much I spend on gas alone
-
So yes I coach for the love of the game
hockey1504

Post by hockey1504 »

silentbutdeadly3139 wrote:
hockey1504 wrote:I am a young coach, very young at that only 23 and I don't get paid I love it and volunteer my time because I want to make these kids better on and off the ice. But I won't lie getting paid to coach for the amount of time youth coaches, coach wouldn't be bad in my mind. I wouldn't ask for a lot at all to be honest. I also don't need any money either I just have a simple passion for the game. Just my thoughts I don't know.
For that, thank you and I hope your association thanks you. I'm sure you already realize that there are other rewards such as seeing players get better, having a player say thanks and still saying hi several years later. Hopefully that all out weighs any baggage the parents may bring :)
Yes you are correct that already has been truly rewarding. Also having the parents vote you and the rest of your staff for the 3M coaching excellence reward is nice too. And parents asking if your up to it to train there kids in the off season or other parents from other teams asking you to coach there kids team because of a coach resigning. Those are a lot more rewarding than a pay check. I will mention that I did get my hotel and a few meals paid for in the out of town tourneys
hocman

Post by hocman »

Our coaching staff was paid 4k ( to be split between whole staff)
wannagototherink

Post by wannagototherink »

I think if you have a program that has a hard time retaining quality coaches it might be something to look at. I believe that having someone in place year after year is certainly beneficial. The question becomes, what criteria do you use to determine "success" for the employee/coach? Is it based on wins/losses, championships, percentage of players who move on to play high school or beyond? Is it determined simply by how much fun the kids are having? The other things coaches looking to get paid need to worry about is how much more scrutiny their systems and or philosophies are going to be under. I don't know the right answer, I certainly see the pro's & cons to doing it but I do think it is getting harder & harder to find quality non-parent coaches who are willing to just "give" their time.
"I've never seen a dumb-bell score a goal!" ~Gretter